Deleted member 2666402

Game Developer
Jul 30, 2020
Maybe if the font and portrait size is a concern you could do another poll? Seemed to work the last few times with new content.

Personally the color text isn't a huge issue for me, some are a little harder to read but not impossible. Larger portraits would be nice. You put so much effort into finding them that it would be cool to see them better. As there is a large growing cast of character, which may or may not have help from demigod magic, maybe a short bio page for characters that adds characters are you meet them? Its hard to remember all the minor characters. Like the music festival for instance, we met a lot of people that showed up again in demigod training and I had to remember who the heck they were lol.
UnrulyDogBoy, would you like to make a character portrait active? By clicking, you can get straight to the gallery of this character or find out who he/she is, a quote that characterizes him/her, how he relates to the main character...
I probably will NOT increase the portrait sizes in the text. Looking at it over the entire story, it creates too much empty space.

One of my plans is to make the character portrait active like you suggest GreenRay. They would have a larger image in their bio. I don't have a demo of it yet...yet.

You didn't remember Alex? He remembered you!:)

Unruly

EDIT : My problem with making the portraits active that I am using only CSS to create the dialog boxes and portraits. Because I was already using CSS pseudo-classes to color each character's text, I was able to change all the dialog throughout the game with a couple of changes to the CSS document (I was so proud of myself). However, using CSS alone, I don't think I can make the portrait images interactive. I need to change all the dialog throughout the game. I am trying to write a macro for my dialogs to accomplish what I need and then make the changes using Twine's FIND/REPLACE but my two attempts so far and ruined my "experiment" version of the game. Tonight I will make attempt #3. Wish me luck.

Last edited:

Rafster

Bear chaser
Game Developer
Mar 23, 2019
Unruly, you need to get the Game Developer tag under your name .... gotta admit it looks so cool on this site.

greenray

Nov 21, 2018
Only thing that matters to me is...

...will my mom think I am cool if I get the Game Developer Tag?

because so far she has not been impressed.

Unruly
Let's find some awesome dude with a "cool badge" and show it to mom. If she likes it, we'll get you one. But only after you reload my brain: what's wrong with this Alex and me?! Bro!!! I'm already dying from this intrigue. Spare me!

blackflames90

Mar 21, 2018
Let's find some awesome dude with a "cool badge" and show it to mom. If she likes it, we'll get you one. But only after you reload my brain: what's wrong with this Alex and me?! Bro!!! I'm already dying from this intrigue. Spare me!
I think that was for me and for what I had said I before that. Because there were so many characters introduced at the music festival and I had forgotten who some where. Hence the need for a bio page. Alex was one of those who appeared in the last update.

greenray

Nov 21, 2018
I think that was for me and for what I had said I before that. Because there were so many characters introduced at the music festival and I had forgotten who some where. Hence the need for a bio page. Alex was one of those who appeared in the last update.
It would be better for him to come up with a more interesting story ;) That would be too simple an explanation.
I often choose the name Adam. And it's good that I don't have to change anything here.

Deleted member 2666402

Game Developer
Jul 30, 2020
Yup, the "Alex remembers you" was directed at BackFlames but it applies to GreenRay also. It's a good thing too.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

greenray

Nov 21, 2018
Don't scare me! Now it's even worse)) The feeling that "Silent Hill" has suddenly crept up.
There's only one problem with Mr. Crow. Alex can be easily missed. And many will do it. So they won't remember him.
We'll keep warm while the fire burns. And we won't bite his liver for the fire he brought. Or will we?

You didn't remember Alex? He remembered you!:)
WTF! Now I'll have to save him instead of having fun with hot brothers or mr. douche. You're a bad-bad boy. that's it!!!

basicgarlic

Oct 16, 2020
Not really a spoiler but comment will not make sense unless you played the "no sex' route in latest update']
Do you really think that people goes with the "no sex" route? i mean a played it but only because i touched everything(and well he was naked so it was still a little sexual.And sad, so "sadxual"?).
Anyway about the portraits, if you can't make them work you still can put on the side a more clear gallery that can be used for this,like when you click on gallery it opens a list of all characters (maybe with colors to find the one you are looking for even better), but since it was already in you workpile you probably thought about something to make it even better.
And come on we know you are cool, but someone who is good at PS need to make this man a signature pic saying Too cool for school "The guys who play my game say I'M COOL"

xxx_chris2018

Oct 29, 2018
And come on we know you are cool, but someone who is good at PS need to make this man a signature pic saying Too cool for school "The guys who play my game say I'M COOL"
After I came out, my mom bought me a shirt that says, "My mom says I'm SPECIAL" with special in the rainbow colors, hahaha. Sorry, I know it's off topic, but your commented made me think of that shirt.

Deleted member 2666402

Game Developer
Jul 30, 2020
Do you really think that people goes with the "no sex" route? i mean a played it but only because i touched everything(and well he was naked so it was still a little sexual.And sad, so "sadxual"?).
Anyway about the portraits, if you can't make them work you still can put on the side a more clear gallery that can be used for this,like when you click on gallery it opens a list of all characters (maybe with colors to find the one you are looking for even better), but since it was already in you workpile you probably thought about something to make it even better.
Yup...I didn't sleep last night and got the active portraits working. I still need to debug each page to catch all the little issues not addressed by the change over...but that is just a few more hours. Then I just need to write the bios. I'll put an update out tomorrow that will include this new feature and some more content.

Nah, I'm cool with keeping my coolness underwraps.

After I came out, my mom bought me a shirt that says, "My mom says I'm SPECIAL" with special in the rainbow colors, hahaha. Sorry, I know it's off topic, but your commented made me think of that shirt.
That is a great mom! I am available for adoption.

Unruly

Deleted member 2666402

Game Developer
Jul 30, 2020
THIS POST CONTAINS LINK FOR NEW STORY BUILD

Here is the

Hello. Crazy two days on the game. As mentioned above I made the character portraits active (they take you to a draft bio page -- unformatted at this point) but the global find/replaces that I used to make the changes were not 100% successful and it broke nearly every passage in the game. I have been going back through the story debugging. I should have waited on this update but when I get an idea in my head, I am like a dog with a bone.

I don't have new content to post so I am not making this an official update. But I want to share the current build of the game so you can see the new active portraits, some picture changes, small corrections, and an improved event activation and sequencing system (you probably won't notice the new sequencing system but trust me it is improved -- still has that new car smell).

WANT TO CONTRIBUTE? There is a new link in the sidebar **Help Test/Write Bios**. If you click it, you will see the portrait images for every character that will have a bio. I have not written bios. So the bio pages are mostly a title, picture, and name. If you want to contribute a description of a character, please post your thoughts. They should be short 1 or 2 sentences (you can read an example on Horcliff's bio page). All the bio pages will adapt as the game is played and you learn more about characters. There will be a field that lists facts about the character's background as you learn them, a field that keeps track of your choices (ex. Topped Deshawn after paintball), and a field that describes your relationship, but we are early stages right now. Don't worry that the bio pages look ugly, once there is content to format, they will be improved.

Also, at the top right of each passage is the passage name. If you come across an error, please let me know the passage name and copy the text around the error. The changes I made caused two types of error (1) Twine errors that give a system error message and are easy to spot...those should all be gone, and (2) Ending a dialog message early - harder to spot; so I might have missed some.

Story content updates are coming. Really.

Unruly

basicgarlic

Oct 16, 2020
I think i like the squared pictures more than the circles, (they cross the lines at the bottom) but this is just my personal opinion.
And the pictures in the profiles appear all on top of each other (nothing against an orgy but i want to see it)
If you change the name of MC still gets called Adam in the bio
And a back to game is needed in gallery and profiles

Last edited:

greenray

Nov 21, 2018
And the pictures in the profiles appear all on top of each other (nothing against an orgy but i want to see it)
+1
Some images are missing. Round portrait looks normal, only dancing out of the frame. The new look of the main character is very-very good))

Deleted member 2666402

Game Developer
Jul 30, 2020
I think i like the squared pictures more than the circles, (they cross the lines at the bottom) but this is just my personal opinion.
DOH! The galleries! I forgot to look at them. Thank you, that is an easy fix. And updating to a new name if you select your own should have been an obvious time where I update the bio page ...but I forgot. Thanks for checking it out.

Thanks. I actually like that the circle images cross the lines at the bottom, I don't know why but it gives me the illusion (on certain characters) that they are leaning out of their dialog boxes. But I am operating on only a few hours of sleep (work-related) so my judge is highly suspect.

Unruly

Deleted member 2666402

Game Developer
Jul 30, 2020
+1
Some images are missing. Round portrait looks normal, only dancing out of the frame. The new look of the main character is very-very good))
Okay. thought I caught missing images but clearly some still out there. I didn some rename of files to standardize things for the bio pages but I must have missed updating a few ingame.

Thanks
Unruly

4.80 star(s) 17 Votes