Gtdead

Jul 13, 2021
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Indeed MC has a flashback to his supposed mother, who looks very similar to Tabitha in her full form. Considering that Tabitha is a shapeshifter and can pass as any age (she probably is the romance writer too), along with Undyne's form being seemingly unchanging, it's impossible to know their ages and the scenario is plausible.

However there are also some oddities. Tabitha is the cream of the crop in terms of power. She is supposedly a witch, and strong enough to kill mages without using magic herself. How is it possible that she managed to provide for Undyne, but she both somehow lost her son in the Shoal and didn't recognize him when she saw him in the Hearth? Tabitha knows what happened to her, so she hasn't lost her memory.

I think that ultimately, Tabitha isn't MC's mother. While the flashback made me think that this is the case, analysing the circumstances further, makes it unlikely for me. Not impossible, but improbable, despite the likeness.

Hey discord people, do we have any updates on the development progress?

Noxilian

Aug 11, 2022
However there are also some oddities. Tabitha is the cream of the crop in terms of power. She is supposedly a witch, and strong enough to kill mages without using magic herself. How is it possible that she managed to provide for Undyne, but she both somehow lost her son in the Shoal and didn't recognize him when she saw him in the Hearth? Tabitha knows what happened to her, so she hasn't lost her memory.

I think that ultimately, Tabitha isn't MC's mother. While the flashback made me think that this is the case, analysing the circumstances further, makes it unlikely for me. Not impossible, but improbable, despite the likeness.
I haven't re-read in a while (waiting for the next update), so some of my memory is a bit hazy, but:

Tabitha is explicitly not a witch - she was cursed (likely by a witch) so that she is very powerful but can only eat human flesh - basically forcing her to live as a monster. Witches can sense each other's presence, and there's been nothing of the sort between other confirmed witches (or Nero/Bazrel as a Vezkhana, which has been confirmed to basically be a variant of a witch) and Tabitha. Her main goal is finding and getting revenge on the person who cursed her (named Samara, who I have a personal theory is Kalista's mentor based on aspects and timings of both of their stories).

As for the Tabitha being Nero's mother thing - highly doubt it. Unless the stats pages themselves are acting as an unreliable narrator, Tabitha is 24, which is the same range as the rest of the cast (all the main girls are 20-25). I also don't think characters looking somewhat similar (especially in Koikatsu) is good enough reason to make guesses on familial relationships with.

Last edited:

Gtdead

Jul 13, 2021
I haven't re-read in a while (waiting for the next update), but:

Tabitha is explicitly not a witch - she was cursed (likely by a witch) so that she is very powerful but can only eat human flesh - basically forcing her to live as a monster. Witches can sense each other's presence, and there's been nothing of the sort between other confirmed witches and Tabitha. Her main goal is finding and getting revenge on the person who cursed her (we have already been given their name, but I'm forgetting it at the moment).

As for the Tabitha being Nero's mother thing - highly doubt it. Unless the stats pages themselves are acting as an unreliable narrator, Tabitha is 24, which is the same range as the rest of the cast (all the main girls are 20-25). I also don't think characters looking somewhat similar (especially in Koikatsu) is good enough reason to make guesses on familial relationships with.

I have an inkling that Tabitha's card is deliberately misleading and that's why it's blacked out as of latest update. Both her and Astrid are out of commission, yet only Astrid's card is intact. I think the dev will update the card with new information when Tabitha comes back, including her design, to reflect her true form.

I also suspect that Tabitha is the romance novel author, and this girl looks older than 24.
Considering the circumstances behind her relationship with Undyne, it would mean that she was just 14 when they met.
So at 14 she was already cursed, exiled in the Shoal and providing for an unknown girl who couldn't even speak.

As for not being a witch, as far as I remember, all we know is that something was done to her body through a ritual. It's not explicitly stated that she isn't a witch.
Tabitha thinks that she can take on Arkada if she was to use magic, despite Miss Arkada being around, and that she can take on Samara (who is probably the powerful witch that cursed her).
Perhaps she speaks out of her ass, but I doubt that just the curse is enough to give her this kind of combat potential.

Nyla says that Miss Arkada also has an augmented body, although it's unclear if their circumstances are similar.
Miss Arkada, despite that, can't compete with the Red Raven, due to her being a confirmed powerful witch.

Lastly, Nero not being able to sense Tabitha isn't an absolute argument be if I'm not mistaken, he couldn't sense Kalista either as far as I remember.
Bazrel says that Vezkhana house myriads of souls. This may be a factor on how witches can sense each other. Being a witch requires one additional soul which is commonly given by family. So your average witch is unlikely to house so many souls, more like a handful.

Lastly the Syrnia unit is supposed to hunt witches, as they categorize them as Wraiths. I find it unlikely that Syrnia can take on such powerful witches.

In any case, I will retract my previous statement about Tabitha being supposedly a witch because it's indeed speculation. I should've said that she is potentially a witch, or at least powerful enough to go against one.

Noxilian

Aug 11, 2022

I have an inkling that Tabitha's card is deliberately misleading and that's why it's blacked out as of latest update. Both her and Astrid are out of commission, yet only Astrid's card is intact. I think the dev will update the card with new information when Tabitha comes back, including her design, to reflect her true form.
I don't think the character card is misleading. I think it's just in preparation to be replaced with a card with her "true appearance", which she's been spending increasingly more on-screen time in recent updates.

I also suspect that Tabitha is the romance novel author, and this girl looks older than 24.
Considering the circumstances behind her relationship with Undyne, it would mean that she was just 14 when they met.
So at 14 she was already cursed, exiled in the Shoal and providing for an unknown girl who couldn't even speak.
Tabitha being the author is basically all but confirmed. It's pretty obvious from all interactions with her in Mira's event, combined with her books going missing from Astrid's family library (since Tabitha was spending a bunch of time around there).

Age is ephemeral as far as Koikatsu models go - you can't really go by appearance. If I didn't know any better, I would assume Undyne is significantly older than Tabitha and most of the rest of the cast. And even if you did base it on model appearance, Tabitha's a shapeshifter, she can assume whatever appearance she wants for her author persona.

She also was clearly quite young in the flashback to when she took Undyne in (and I don't believe she had any specific reason she needed to be shapeshifted at that time - the model shown basically looked like a young version of her current "true form" model) - so yeah, 14 while all that happens seems accurate to me - it also fits with my theory regarding her/Kallista/Samara.

As for not being a witch, as far as I remember, all we know is that something was done to her body through a ritual. It's not explicitly stated that she isn't a witch.

Tabitha thinks that she can take on Arkada if she was to use magic, despite Miss Arkada being around, and that she can take on Samara (who is probably the powerful witch that cursed her).

Perhaps she speaks out of her ass, but I doubt that just the curse is enough to give her this kind of combat potential.
She knows she's among the most powerful beings out there - but she may not suspect how powerful witches can actually get (she seemed relatively un-phased by how shook Nero was by his encounter with the Grandmaster). Even if she does know how powerful they can be, she may believe she can simply overcome that power via a sneak attack, given her whole life for many years has given her tons of experience with such things.

Lastly, Nero not being able to sense Tabitha isn't an absolute argument be if I'm not mistaken, he couldn't sense Kalista either as far as I remember.
Kallista isn't a full witch yet - she's a witch-in-training. I remember she's mentioned as such a couple times, one time while pointing out the incorrectness of everyone calling her/assuming she's a witch.

EDIT: Removed my other responses here since I remembered that point, and it's the main relevant rebuttal.

In any case, I might as well share my theory regarding Tabitha/Kallista/Samara here, which also will explain why I don't think there's any chance that Tabitha is a witch. Keep in mind, some of the theory is a bit meta, as in, I further believe this theory specifically because I think it would create interesting twists and future scenarios that Konvel could write towards.

The TLDR of my theory is that Tabitha was a component of the ritual that "cured" Kallista's sister of (the humanoid eating aspect of) vampirism, which also led to Tabitha's condition. Main reasons for this theory in-universe:
  • Powerful magic in the universe often seems to involve some sort of sacrifice (not necessarily of the user of the magic, but often of other things or people) - for example the souls required to become a witch in the first place.
  • One of the main symptoms of vampirism is basically the same as Tabitha's issue - having to subsist off humanoid flesh.
  • Kallista's master's name has not been revealed yet, so there's nothing saying it couldn't be Samara.
  • I believe that the ritual by Kallista's master to "cure" Kallista's sister (allowing her to eat normal food), didn't really "cure" it, but rather "transferred" it to Tabitha.
    • I am not sure what led Tabitha to be in that situation, as we have not seen anything of her prior to meeting Undyne, but Tabitha sees what Samara (who again, I believe is Kallista's master) did to her as a "betrayal", so it is likely Tabitha was lured in by her pretending to be some sort of protector/caretaker who would help her (something kids growing up in the Shoal, like Tabitha, would be susceptible to).
      • Maybe Tabitha was lured by Kallista's master with a promise of "great power" (which was technically granted truthfully), but it came with a curse which wasn't explained (or maybe it was glossed over) to Tabitha beforehand.
  • The timelines roughly match with the ages they were presented as during the flashbacks for both Kallista and Tabitha. Kallista's flashbacks seem to take place a little while before Tabitha's (I think I used to have more exact year/ages figured out, but I've forgotten at this point).
Outside-universe (meta) reason:
  • It makes for a good "conflict-of-interest" twist for Kallista's story, with lots of directions the story could be taken. Kallista is currently is trying to redeem herself for the tragedy she caused, and wants to help Tabitha with her situation. I don't believe she knows Tabitha was the sacrifice required to cure her sister's need to eat humanoid flesh, and I think the story will lead to her discovering the truth and having to make a choice: will she (a) go through with helping Tabitha, possibly even curing her, even if it mean going against her master and/or that the vampiric diet requirements are passed back on to her sister (or maybe someone else)?, or (b) side with her master and sister, despite the wrong it involved inflicting upon Tabitha (basically giving up her sense of morals)?, or maybe even (c) end up with choice paralysis/spiraling into depression? Given the VN format, these could all be possibilities, and it could be the player's choice or actions that decide what ends up happening.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gtdead
4.60 star(s) 38 Votes