Jamestown77

Jun 26, 2018
Jamestown77 - During this last update of development, I switched how to get the Bad Ends. I removed the give up button because there are currently close to 80 Bad Ends, and having to give up that many times would be ridiculous, so I redesigned it so that winning a monster hunt will unlock all the Bad Ends for the hunt (excluding the hidden ones that always require items from the House of Haggle). So, no need to lose or give up, just beat the hunts and you'll get all the BE's.
Make sense ty

Reactions: The Anax

cell943

Oct 14, 2017
Really great additions, story-wise, but this version of the game runs like damn molasses. Every action takes at least two seconds to execute (inspecting an item, moving between areas, opening inventory, etc). Saving a game takes about 15.
I notice it especially after I load a save (and when saving a game), and during the dock hunt (and given how massive that area is [possible cause?], it makes it difficult to complete). Making a giant page of Vlad's animated text is a poor decision, as my browser can't really handle that (despite my computer having upper range hardware). This is also true during game over scenes (with all the letters flying in). It looks cool, but it performs poorly.

mart243g

Aug 5, 2017
yea i agree. i started the sewer hunt, but it slows to a crawl, after exploring most of the map

The Anax

Game Developer
Oct 24, 2017
cell943 mart243g I am aware of this which is why on the first page I give the players skips right now and gold. So, don't even worry about saving games or anything, just skip to the new content and it should run smooth. We've pushed Twine to new limits with this game, and we are coming up with some ideas to make it not slow down, it's a process. I look forward to pinning it down, but in the meantime skip to the newest chapters and/or the hunt, you will be supplied with plenty of gold to buy potions and such!

Hopefully, by the next release, we will have the lag sorted out, and if not, it's still a beta version for now and I will refuse to release a finished version until Twinery or Impresario figure out a way to stop the lagging because you know how high my standards are!

cell943

Oct 14, 2017
cell943 mart243g but in the meantime skip to the newest chapters and/or the hunt, you will be supplied with plenty of gold to buy potions and such!
This happens even when skipping to it. Just pointing that out, as I know as much info as possible helps with bug hunting and refinement.

Also, for some reason my health total keeps on climbing. In the boss fight, every time he attacks my health increases instead of decreases.

Last edited:

The Anax

Game Developer
Oct 24, 2017
cell943 - Thanks! It should not do this. I am thinking either the browser history is looking at what you did earlier and still loading all the unneeded variables or maybe you have save games stored (as odd as this sounds the more saves that you have the slower twine games can become). Out of curiosity if you open it in a totally other browser and then do that (skip to say the docks hunts), is it still slow?

cell943

Oct 14, 2017
cell943 - Thanks! It should not do this. I am thinking either the browser history is looking at what you did earlier and still loading all the unneeded variables or maybe you have save games stored (as odd as this sounds the more saves that you have the slower twine games can become). Out of curiosity if you open it in a totally other browser and then do that (skip to say the docks hunts), is it still slow?
The slowdown didn't happen in another browser. Either it's a Firefox issue, then, or a "firefox with hardware acceleration disabled" issue.

mastacheata

Aug 22, 2017
The slowdown didn't happen in another browser. Either it's a Firefox issue, then, or a "firefox with hardware acceleration disabled" issue.
The transitions are slow af on Chrome as well.

The click handler function takes 5s to process for every time you move to a new tile in the sewers map.

Chrome is about 1-2 seconds faster than Firefox, but that could be due to the dozen or so extension I have installed in Firefox (especially the DevTools for React and Vue, which will check every site to find if they are built in either of those Frameworks and provide some augmentation)

The Anax

Game Developer
Oct 24, 2017
Indeed it would on a brand new game mastacheata ! Just wait, if you keep going by the time you do the docks it will be virtually unplayable and when I start a new game and go all the way to Asylum from the beginning, I cannot even play it at all! lol Hopefully the Twine creators themselves or Impresario will find a way to keep the slowdown at bay, sooner rather than later. Then, if anyone else ever attempts a Twine game of the magnitude again (and I intend to), we will have a much smoother process as it grows.

hotuck

Nov 23, 2017
When i encounter the kraken, i only get an error message that says getcountininventory is not function and i'm not able to fight it.

The Anax

Game Developer
Oct 24, 2017
hotuck - Usually things only get borked liked that if someone saves and loads during a hunt. My suggestion would be to lose and go back to the "Choose a Hunt" and then redo the docks from scratch. What caused it in this situation, I am unsure, but restarting the fight from scratch would probably solve that. I actually played the Docks earlier today because we are working on ridding the game of slowing lag. I had no problems at all.

The Anax

Game Developer
Oct 24, 2017
den123456789 - My best guess is that you did not unzip the folder first, but rather, tried playing it straight from the zip file.

The Anax

Game Developer
Oct 24, 2017
For those that stumble upon the change, I did just now do an update to the file (the Hypnopics download of it), but I am not changing the date on the title as the only change was to censor the barghest and murder mole Bad End sequences. The Hypnopics Moderators deemed that, even though neither scene had a human (or even anything humanoid) having coitus with an animal, instead only showing two fantasy creatures, two animals, having sex, after an entire year of the scene being in the game, they have suddenly and inexplicably deemed it "bestiality". I frame it like that because as we all know bestiality requires a human to have intercourse with an animal, which does not happen in this game! So, to be clear, this game never had any bestiality in it!

However, out of respect, regardless of the outlandish silliness of this situation, I have made the edit. Going forward those two pages will remain censored until the final release of this game, at which time, the version that I upload to Hypnopics will still remain the nonsensically censored version, and the one that I upload to MEGA will be uncensored, placing the two, pretend make-believe animals, reproducing sexually again. However, as before, neither version will have bestiality because, I don't like bestiality, so I don't put it in my art. (no judgment there, it's just not my thing)

4.70 star(s) 3 Votes