RPGM - Completed - Detective Girl of the Steam City [v2.01] [Clymenia/Kagura Games]

1. 3.00 star(s)

buttfan

I'm of a real mixed mind on this one. I'm giving it an average rating after some thought on the subject.

On the good side, Sophie is super cute. Frankly I'm getting tired of every female character in these things having enormous breasts, and a gigantic fat ass. A tomboy like Sophie is a really nice change of pace. The H scenes are mostly pretty good, well drawn with decent sound effects. And frankly watching poor little Sophie get raped is rather hot... despite that in actual gameplay I don't want her to be.

On the bad side, Sophie never gets ass raped. She is also never really mouth raped either. Her little vagina gets torn open, but her ass and mouth are almost completely voluntary. Plus the entire "smart/ strong girl gets cock and then can't live without it" trope is a wee bit overdone; not even finds the joy of sex per se, just gets raped a couple times and that's it, the very existance of penises in the world is enough to cause orgasm.

The combat is tedious; repetitive and with nothing actually to do in it except keep attacking and periodically heal up. The various stats don't seem to actually matter, and leveling up is crazy easy.

Further getting her even a little randy requires either masturbating a whole lot, or deliberately getting raped a whole lot. And I mean deliberately, because you really shouldn't lose in a fight unless you screw up huge (or get one shotted).

I know it's supposed to be a corruption game, and I know she's supposed to be a masochist/ exhibitionist underneath, but I think it's just too easy for it to happen. Not three easy (but repetitive) steps between virgin and town bicycle.

There should be some nuance; a choice where instead of being the cumdump of the entire city of London, she's instead just a girl that likes to fuck. And without the not so-subtle undertone that any woman who enjoys sex of any kind is just a worthless thing good only for receiving cum (that might actually be appropriate for the era, but... it's in damn near every ero game I've ever seen so it wasn't a specific choice here).

This game had a great deal of potential, but I think it missed out on a lot of it by just being at its core a rather run of the mill corruption ero-game.
  2. 5.00 star(s)

DrDerpington

TL;DR = really great corruption game

Story: 5/5
    + Story is really epic. Especially its variability.
    + Decisions matter!! You can choose what path to take by your decision. You can go for naive girl, you can be a determined detective trying to achieve success no matter the price, you can also become straight slut.
    + Sometimes you will encounter some mystery and you have to solve it by acting like detective. Its fun.
    + I really enjoyed the story. So many choices. There is also some value in 2nd playthrough.

Art: 5/5
    + Main heroine is super cute.
    + Art is hot.
    + There is a lot of different erotic events.
    + Game is uncensored (without mosaic).

Gameplay: 4/5
    - Its typical RPGM game, so expect some running around the maps.
    + Design of the city is good. Position of things and people make sense. There are hidden treasures and you can also avoid fights by finding hidden routes.
    + Game involves fights. Losing them will usually get you some rape events. Nice.

To sum it up:
    One of the best games on the site. I enjoyed it so much that I went and bought it on Steam.
  3. 5.00 star(s)

cinori

The game is actually more interesting than I previously expected it to be, including a very malleable main character. Not only does the game play and story feel pretty good the MC is very attractive as well and special scenes tend to be very great. Going the path of a naive girl or not makes the game feel raw about a girl trying to make a name for herself one way or another.
  4. 5.00 star(s)

JiggalooDaOne

Went in for a simple RPG ero game but I ended up loving the story, detail and effort that was put into it!
    I know lots of other RPG games do this, but you can basically "choose your own adventure." You can choose what paths to take and how to take them.
    Well thought out and well put together!
  5. 5.00 star(s)

Afrin

I think I'd personally put this as a good benchmark for RPGM games these days. The story was fun, characters were interesting, in general, it was probably one of my favorite experiences getting both endings in the spectrum lol.
  6. 5.00 star(s)

Netori Popeye

I would honestly not hesitate to call this an absolute masterpiece within its genre. High native resolution, GREAT art, a decent combat system, upgrades, replayability (two major paths that result in different endings), and last but not least - VERY hot and gradual corruption that goes in some interesting places and never feels forced.

I honestly can't get over how good the art is, I played the studio's previous titles which had some pretty good art too, but this just goes above and beyond. I can't wait to see what else they put out in the future.
  7. 5.00 star(s)

Needforlinkz

Great art - check.
    Corruption system - check.
    Give Up function - check.
    Skip function - check.
    Fast moving speed - check.
    A lot of cool, fapable events - check.
    Absence of gross stuff - check.
    Steampunk style- check.
    Good music - check.
    Good translataion - check.
    Big tits - somewhat.
    Flat - is justice!

One of the best games I've ever played. Just purchased in on Steam so I can support devs/translators.
  8. 2.00 star(s)

myjammies

I'm not quite sure what exactly I found lacking in this game but there was plenty of it. The fights were a chore. The story was pointless and I didn't even see many H-Scenes throughout the story. The only way I could have accessed them if I set a higher masturbation count in the beginning or pretty much spammed it. Very disappointing. The city is large, but it serves no purpose apart from little background. You could have all the visitable locations in a nice single square instead of being spread out over 9 of them and it would solve a lot of the pointless travel time. The detective bits aren't really detective-y. The scenes, the few which I saw, were all right but nothing to write home about.

In short, mediocre gameplay, mediocre story and good H-Scenes but walled off behind a weird reason counter that needs the player to spam masturbation. I'm surprised this is rated as highly as it is. It isn't a bad game by any stretch of the imagination but it is ultimately forgettable.
  9. 5.00 star(s)

Lamphead

Clymenia is the gold standard for Japanese corruption stories. This is a good one, it's not their best but for me it's the most polished and well rounded one because it's their latest.

The universal praised items: the CG is top tier, the scenario writing is ultra lewd with plenty of fetishes sprinkled in. Clymenia seems to have approached every scenario possible so here's a new one: the main character is a tomboy.

Clymenia traditions: gameplay is JUST engaging enough to get you from point A to point B. Plot and characterization is JUST enough so that when things get lewd there is a marked evolution in the character.

If I could criticize this slightly it's that the game never matches the scope it sets out, regarding the scale of the map, the gameplay mechanics, etc. But it's ENOUGH to get to Clymenia's usual strength: the lewd, lewd scenarios and the slow and steady sexual corruption.
  10. 2.00 star(s)

toak

What a let down.

There's a lot of pieces. Father in another country. Steam city. Gang wars. Detective. Rival thief. Corruption.

None of it comes together. This game is all in pieces.

Sophie wants to become a great detective like her father. ... That's it. No more plot development on that. She gets a "detective point" at the end of a mission whether you succeed or you fail.

Steam city. You get a steam powered punch and a steam grappling hook. That's all the steam in the game. Unless you count the steam in the bath.

The rival thief has two small story missions. How is that a rival? And the thief's endgame plan was to end up in jail? No plans to break out either? Pathetic.

Corruption is very artificial. There's maybe 2-3 story based corruption events. The rest is voluntary. I had to farm corruption by having Sophie masturbate in bed 50 nights in a row.

Again, the game is in bits and pieces. Lots of incompleteness. Pretty much what I'd expect an alpha build to look like. There's a lot of potential but it all remains unrealized potential.

Only reason this is not a 1 star review is because the art is well done.
  11. I
    5.00 star(s)

IAMADegenarateAMA

Really interesting take on the RPGM formula, I also love the idea of a detective setting and although it never really explores this setting other than in a few set pieces it's nicely implemented and it stands solidly. Also hardly any combat, that helps.
  12. 5.00 star(s)

wavelets

So I played this a few months ago, enjoyed immensely and deleted some time later. Bad choice bc I had to redownload it again.

Everything about this game is great. The characters, the plot, music and the sex content. A bit grindy with the fights and getting geared up to beat the bosses (you can mostly skip the regular fights by running around them) but I guess it adds to the challenge and you can always edit a save file. Maybe without the grind it would feel less satisfying?
  13. 5.00 star(s)

EstadoYSociedadGriegos

It shines above most adult RPG games I've played, but my personal taste may be enhancing it. Well written, good art, and... it's kinda hard to describe this game because it has simple systems but not too simple, it doesn't have a ton of sex scenes but not too little either, it is morbid but not too extreme (for adult game standards ofc), duration once again is not too long nor short, and it allows certain level of customization of your play (whom to lose your virginity to, which route to go: pure investigator that witnesses sex acts/experience some mild sexual stuff to somewhat functional sex addict to broken sex victim with bad end, with some shades in between depending on the scenes you choose to play).

There's a good amount of little scenes that cover many vanilla fetishes and a little bit of others. There's also a neat gallery that allows you to replay any scene with virginity on, in case you want to check the alternative writing for those.

Protagonist has a teen-like, tomboy, somewhat flat body so that's what most scenes entail (I found it great). Other characters tend to have big or even grotesque boobs but their scenes are sparse.

The stories and setting, while not brilliant by any means, are above those of many games and solid enough to enhance the impact of most sex scenes. You can fuck with your father's detective friend, be drugged by a rapist doctor, get your pics taken by an erotic phographer, etc. I felt the morbid descriptions around being corrupted and losing your innocence in an undignified way were effective and well done.
  14. 4.00 star(s)

Cuzline

i wann give this 3 stars, but is not a baaad game at all. Sophie is really cute for me.
    Good things:
    - it's not boring to read the police route
    -not to long and not to short if you wanna try to get everything
    -nice art
    -you can chose for 3 different endings

Bad things:
    - No virgin route. Well, you can do it, but nothing really change if you fuck someone.
    - no animations, could be cool but is not really something that bad
    -You have a police route and a gang route with more fights, but the fights are super boring and just consume time. This is what make me wanna give it less stars. But you can chose to not do this missions if you don't want it
  15. 5.00 star(s)

John Nasty

Firstly, I want to inform you that I wrote this review with the help of google translate...

I enjoyed this game very much, and definitely worth playing.
    Great art and good story. It should deserves more good ratings.
    For me, found this game was like found a gem in the mud. It's much better than those silly games with nonsense tags, like monster or tentacles.
    Don't get why someone can compare this game to those trash.
  16. 5.00 star(s)

potatogun

The art style and the way that RPGM is used here unique. Being from London, it feels like the game was made for me. There's some interesting mechanics and atmosphere is honestly amazing and top notch.
  17. 5.00 star(s)

OriJinsz

Absolutely amazing, best 18+ game I've played in... forever.

Great art. Great dialogue, well written, and lots of little scenes to find. Gallery is complete and doesn't leave out a bunch of small scenes unlike other games.
  18. 5.00 star(s)

foolfoolfool

Really great game. A lot of content with a large map to explore. A very wide variety of H scenes, although the blonde lady in the artwork isn't featured in too many of them. The game primarily focuses on Sophie, the girl with the blue hair.
  19. 3.00 star(s)

YuriiH

Indeed, this is a case when a game has equal amount of good and reasonably not-so-good sides. I won't divide into usual PROS and CONS, but just tell about some aspects of this game.

SETTING:
    We are promised to have a steampunk adventure, but I would really call it 'a low-end steampunk'. Yes, the world has machines, and mechanisms, and gears, and wires, and steampower, and Babbage machine, and text references to the British Steampunk World. However, it really stays unfeelable. Expect to receive the volatile steam, but no punk wibe.

STORY:
    Blatant. Virgin, but easily corruptible girl aiming to excel her father. Good thing that corruption is not forced upon a player. And your enemies are the meanies that serve the greater evil.

GAMEPLAY:
    You have several skills and gameplay options: solve 'cases' or kick asses. Unfortunately, there are too little occasions to actually investigate. Some cases lead to h-scenes. Losses also lead to h-scenes. Well, it's kind of OK, if not one thing.
    Narrator in one of the first quests informs you that cases can be solved differently depending on your skill level. There are such cases indeed, but only a few. Well, it's OK when you play a regular RPG Maker game. It's NOT OK when you play a detective story.
    In addition, the city has multiple big maps and quite many NPCs, but nothing really valuable in 90% of the space. Well, except graphics.

GRAPHICS:
    Graphics is very pretty. CGs are done well, and pixel art with tall character models is awesome.

H-SCENES:
    The corruption element is somewhat hurried when you take relevant and obvious choices. On the other hand, some 'cases' with potential corruption part are just dilettantishly abrupt.
    No lesbian content at all (except maybe a threesome or two). This is rather disappointing when your heroine is a tomboy.

In general, the game gives such a feeling that developers were hustled to finish it asap. It has many placeholders and starting points, but no complete picture, unfortunately.
  20. 5.00 star(s)

Nickzz235

A game that stray away from it's premise but still one of the most enjoyable H-RPG in my library

the story fall short after the first big case, at least it was good enough with the H-scene and dialogue

H-scene is hit or miss depend on the player. I like how the girl is "dedicated dumb" kind of girl, so yeah most H-scene is accomodated by "dedicated dumb" personality, which I found as a great balance of humor and H scene.

Artwork is really like really good, H-scene is potrayed nicely in the screen, no awkward tranparent male with floating p*nis or any sort of other lazy artwork.

Combat is a chore and skill point is rather pointless because skills only affect specific scenario and you won't really get advantage for it.

lots of "side-quest" which fulfill lots of H-fantasies (drugged, feel-sorry for you H-scene, I'm doing this because I'm "professional", tricked, actually lewd, etc.) and no compromise with the art too

Actually adding a "virgin" dialogue difference. this is a small detail that need to be adopted by other H-games