3.20 star(s) 27 Votes

d8knight

Jun 21, 2019
Thanks for the feedback! I really appreciate it.

You've definitely touched on things I would do differently if I could go back in time.

I started Devilish Business with very little practical experience in programming, and really only attempted my own game because Vren included the un-obfuscated source code with his game Lab Rats. I made my own small mod of Lab Rats as a personal project and found that I really enjoyed solving the coding problems I made for myself.

I took what I learned from that and started my own story, initially with zero plan to release it publicly. But once it reached about 100,000 words (enough for a sizeable novel) I decided that other people might want to try it out.

It was absolutely not ready for release. There was almost no art, no endings(!), very little polish, and I still hadn't figured out how to code some of the gameplay elements that would make it a worthwhile "game". It was (and remains) basically a decent "choose your own adventure" novel with superficial gameplay elements.

I had really lofty goals for it at the start: a morality/alignment system (there is actually some placeholder code for this in the game), magic/no magic routes, castable spells, random encounters, etc. But things got dropped along the way, either from my lack of coding skill, lack of time, loss of interest, or influence from early backers. I see now that releasing it without those gameplay elements already included forced me to rush to "complete" the game, which made me quick to chop off pieces that were slowing me down.

Now that the game has almost 300,000 words of story content, it's a very daunting task to tear it apart to add the gameplay elements it deserves, especially as I don't exactly have a ton of free time lately.

But maybe you've given me the kick in the ass needed to give it another look, so thanks for the valuable feedback!
ooh that all sounds really fun! i love randomization and different routes! either way, i'll definitely give the game a go as it is now and keep that in mind? ^w^

Reactions: BawdyBaron

WastedTalent

Dec 11, 2020
Thanks for the feedback! I really appreciate it.

You've definitely touched on things I would do differently if I could go back in time.

I started Devilish Business with very little practical experience in programming, and really only attempted my own game because Vren included the un-obfuscated source code with his game Lab Rats. I made my own small mod of Lab Rats as a personal project and found that I really enjoyed solving the coding problems I made for myself.

I took what I learned from that and started my own story, initially with zero plan to release it publicly. But once it reached about 100,000 words (enough for a sizeable novel) I decided that other people might want to try it out.

It was absolutely not ready for release. There was almost no art, no endings(!), very little polish, and I still hadn't figured out how to code some of the gameplay elements that would make it a worthwhile "game". It was (and remains) basically a decent "choose your own adventure" novel with superficial gameplay elements.

I had really lofty goals for it at the start: a morality/alignment system (there is actually some placeholder code for this in the game), magic/no magic routes, castable spells, random encounters, etc. But things got dropped along the way, either from my lack of coding skill, lack of time, loss of interest, or influence from early backers. I see now that releasing it without those gameplay elements already included forced me to rush to "complete" the game, which made me quick to chop off pieces that were slowing me down.

Now that the game has almost 300,000 words of story content, it's a very daunting task to tear it apart to add the gameplay elements it deserves, especially as I don't exactly have a ton of free time lately.

But maybe you've given me the kick in the ass needed to give it another look, so thanks for the valuable feedback!
I guess everyone is different I prefer more of an avn and a lot less gaming. Not a fan of points systems, sandbox, or puzzles etc. A nice kinetic or linear VN is much more preferable for my taste. I know everyone is different but just keep in mind the more gaming components you add and other gaming stuff the less quality writing seems to get done in most cases. There are a few who can successfully do both, but in most cases it's usually 1 or the other quality writing or an over complicated game with too many stats to keep track of. Then throw in multiple endings depending how many you come up with that actually make it into the game if there are more than 2 you could add a lot more time to developing your ending(s) as well as having to split the ending(s) into multiple releases.

BawdyBaron

Game Developer
Feb 26, 2018
I guess everyone is different I prefer more of an avn and a lot less gaming. Not a fan of points systems, sandbox, or puzzles etc. A nice kinetic or linear VN is much more preferable for my taste.
Devilish Business is, and will always be, a VN-style dating-sim/harem builder. So don't worry that it'll become some kind of open-world-visual-novel-with-added-puzzles Frankenstein.

I know everyone is different but just keep in mind the more gaming components you add and other gaming stuff the less quality writing seems to get done in most cases. There are a few who can successfully do both, but in most cases it's usually 1 or the other quality writing or an over complicated game with too many stats to keep track of.
I think most people who have played Devilish Business would agree that writing is my strong suit, so don't worry about that :).

Then throw in multiple endings depending how many you come up with that actually make it into the game if there are more than 2 you could add a lot more time to developing your ending(s) as well as having to split the ending(s) into multiple releases.
There are currently 65 possible endings in Devilish Business. I imagine that will double, at the very least, if I implement a "morality" feature.

BawdyBaron

Game Developer
Feb 26, 2018
I can't seem to get the shower scene the mom even though I've followed the walkthrough. Help me pls.
It should happen automatically on Saturday morning after you've had the "kissing" scene with her (the one where you just make out with her in the living room).

Have you had that scene?

Also, Jessica's winery event takes priority on a Saturday, so if you planned to visit the winery it may have pushed Candace's shower scene to the next Saturday.

It really should be automatic, so without more info I'm not sure what else to suggest.

BawdyBaron

Game Developer
Feb 26, 2018
Wow, 65? I think I`ve opened around 30 endings...
Any plans for separate "endings gallery"?
No plans for that at the moment; most of the endings within each of the two main ending paths are fairly similar to each other, just with different girls present. But it's not a bad idea, it might be worthwhile to implement that, especially for the solo girl and full harem endings.

ningawater

Mar 13, 2019
It should happen automatically on Saturday morning after you've had the "kissing" scene with her (the one where you just make out with her in the living room).

Have you had that scene?

Also, Jessica's winery event takes priority on a Saturday, so if you planned to visit the winery it may have pushed Candace's shower scene to the next Saturday.

It really should be automatic, so without more info I'm not sure what else to suggest.
hmm ok thanks for the info.I don't recall getting the kiss scene. I might just speed run and play it again and see if I can get it.

MrSnake

Aug 3, 2017
Can someone give me the saves for the game? If I use the saves, can I see all the gallery? I'm way too lazy to play semi-open world vn... I hate having to do the same thing over and over to get points... Maybe a cheat mode would be a good idea, too.

ChesseKun

Nov 1, 2019
are there any actual threesome scenes yet?
there are several. one with Candace and Cassandra, one with Jessica and Ashely, one with Cassandra and Jessica, one with I think Emma and some Waitress. there is also a foursome involving Nick and some other group/sharing with Cassandra during the party event. but don't expect to actually see much.

Aug 24, 2019
there are several. one with Candace and Cassandra, one with Jessica and Ashely, one with Cassandra and Jessica, one with I think Emma and some Waitress. there is also a foursome involving Nick and some other group/sharing with Cassandra during the party event. but don't expect to actually see much.
Like naked sprites and such with descriptions?
Is there also a walkthrough anywhere for all characters or only Candace?

ChesseKun

Nov 1, 2019
Like naked sprites and such with descriptions?
Is there also a walkthrough anywhere for all characters or only Candace?
this is a screenshot of you having a threesome with your boss and her secretary.
screenshot0002.jpg
I mentioned this before but there are like 1 maybe 2 scenes where you can actually see the MC. on all others it's just the girl fucking air with a description of what is happening. the writing is hot but don't expect too much in the visual department.

Reactions: TheBigEnchilada

BawdyBaron

Game Developer
Feb 26, 2018
so I was wondering why does this game barely show anything of the dude.
Because the MC is you.

I've tried to write the story in such a way that every (male) playing can see themselves in the role. In light of that, I've chosen for the art to show the MC as vaguely as possible, with most of the art representing a first-person POV.

Can't get Emma to do the private dance and the threesome. Any help??
For the private dance: on Friday and Saturday evenings, if you text Nick, he may invite you to spend the evening at Venus. Go there, decline the sexual favors from his entourage, and go talk to Emma. If she likes you, you can ask her for a private dance.

For the threesome: after you've had your first date with Emma (ask Nick to give her time off), you can ask her out on other dates, either at the club (instead of asking for a dance) or by texting her. When you go to the date, there is a 70% chance the date is at a Greek restaurant. If you do things right, you can suggest a threesome with Emma and the waitress.

are there any actual threesome scenes yet?
No real art for them yet. As you would expect, art containing 2+ characters costs more, so I haven't had any made yet. It is planned for though.

Reactions: GmFn1869

UsuiTkumi

Nov 8, 2021
Hi i have some problems on android
Even though i already completed all infections needed to ask about sex for mom and from nick to teach corruption and yea i follow the walkthrough and still can't trigger any events .. Only the boss, front desk girl and emma have events but mom and sis

And sorry bad English

molitar

Engaged Member
Sep 22, 2016
This game could of been awesome if it did not have a shitty time system. No way in hell am I playing a game over and over to see each girl.. Unlimited time so you can have the damn harem that is the games I go for. I hate these time limited games.

3.20 star(s) 27 Votes