TheGodUncle

Dec 2, 2017
not the best introduction to the game either tho. Try it 'ok this isnt done but its early in development, Ill come back later.' a year or more later and you blindly try it again and immediately run into 3(I tried again) paths that are still going nowhere.
Maybe if he/she/they want to focus on completing certain paths or something how about a little warning like (not developed, dont play this path) on the text link
All the paths that aren't completed are red instead of purple. That's shows you that they're not completed.

• Angry
Reactions: looseylucy

Tyrranus

May 4, 2017
All the paths that aren't completed are red instead of purple. That's shows you that they're not completed.
yes, but a warning at the start of said path which is purple would be a time saver.. I wouldnt have clicked the 3 paths I tried had it warned me I would only get a screen or three in before slamming into a dead end before the intro is even finished

hotaruchan1

Sep 7, 2018
the best way to approach this is just pretend everything but the 3 characters with actual depth isn't there. there is a lot of stuff written it's just all crammed into basically 3 characters

sirneversleep

Jan 11, 2018
......why are none of the paths actually finishable I've been following this game for years and theres still no progress on ending paths.... wtf. Like finish a path before working on something else please

Reactions: jamonserrano

Sojechlo

Nov 1, 2020
So being Amanda in the bus scene (one of the first scenes), you can sacrifice yourself and have a game over, sacrifice YOUR BEST FRIEND and then find a furry, then you or "DEATH TO THE FURRY!" which leads to a game over or "She seems nice. Ask for help." and the next two choices just don't exist because in both it says "This passage does not exist".
Am I doing something wrong or is this game full of possibilities that lead to absolutely nowhere? The only choice I have made is whether I want a game over or a "This passage does not exist"

NODOGAN

Dec 11, 2017
First time playing, is it normal that ALOT of answers are in the red "this answer does not exist" problem or did i downloaded the wrong version somehow?

torm08

Feb 24, 2017
First time playing, is it normal that ALOT of answers are in the red "this answer does not exist" problem or did i downloaded the wrong version somehow?
Sadly this game suffers from a developer who has added very little content to this game in the last year or so whilst constantly posting excuses on Patreon. In reality the game will never likely be finished even if you give it another 20 years. There are far to many paths and characters. This is too much for a whole massive team to handle let alone a small group especially as the developer has spread himself across the other side projects in the same vein.

Basically nearly every character and path will quickly lead to a dead end of and even those that dont quickly end have limited choices as many are blocked out.

It is a shame as the idea is great and the writing not bad.

Flargnock

Oct 1, 2017
Y'know. No one really mentioned that there's two other games in the download, and it looks like one of the updates was avoided.

As far as updates actually o and the quality, this isn't that bad, and it's a hell of a lot more in a year and per month than other projects.

NODOGAN

Dec 11, 2017
Sadly this game suffers from a developer who has added very little content to this game in the last year or so whilst constantly posting excuses on Patreon. In reality the game will never likely be finished even if you give it another 20 years. There are far to many paths and characters. This is too much for a whole massive team to handle let alone a small group especially as the developer has spread himself across the other side projects in the same vein.

Basically nearly every character and path will quickly lead to a dead end of and even those that dont quickly end have limited choices as many are blocked out.

That REALLY sucks, specially because of the setting itself one thing that could have EASYLY been done is to finish 1 "main storyline" then make like 3-5 branches to that storyline and finish them, then proceed to another "main storyline" and so on and so forth (basically every new update having 1 more story and it's variables.)

AKA: The game could have gone on an "New Update: New storyline!" infinite loop and I feel everybody would've been onboard with it.
Oh well, gonna pass on this, it was fun the first few minutes but once i realized no option really took me to an ending it quickly lost it's charm (such a shame tho, my favorite thus far was "King Jamie" storyline, really wanted to play that one through.)

xGhostx

Sep 9, 2017
As someone's that's fiddling around with a similar set up(Just different) I... kinda get it?

I've been writing over on some CYOA sites and it's been more fun and free flowing than trying to write a full story start to finish, but this also means a lot of jumping back and forth between story lines and characters, as the whim strikes me rather than manning up and sitting down to actually try writing. The issue is that on some CYOA places, you have far more interaction with other writers where as Skooma seems to be doing it solo(I'm unsure how much interaction patrons have in what gets written and how).

The strength of this is very much creative freedom to do what he wants and how(most the paths tend to be hugely varying of their ideas, showing of his 'What IF' creativity) but the downfall is the whole what is being worked on or what is stalled out. I'd very much like to see the one Anthro Cat transformation path continued but..., I'll have to settle with being hyped for any Ranma based stuff.

It's a pretty interesting formula but for only short bits rather than a long length of time. But Skooma is still hacking away at it so credit to him on keeping it going.

Jul 19, 2020
February update is up!

Devious World a72
  • Made Marei slightly older. I admit wanting her to be a young widow but I also made her like bare minimum old enough to have Ken, so. Adding a few years gives her slightly more range.
  • Main: Marei can now decide to look at her late husband's androids for scratching her itch.
  • Main: Cyan can buy the detachable penis.
  • Main: Jack can now decide to get Gabriel for Lita.
  • Main: Jack can also have a son instead of a daughter.
  • Main: Cyan can now also browse the DeviList want ads.

Reactions: Decckar

Dreamer44

Dec 19, 2019
Finish a fucking story, move to the next one. Not that fucking hard.

absolute trash and a waste of time.
Skooma suffers from ADHD. It affects their writing.

Sometimes they get inspiration for twenty different things and writes a little bit of everything, sometimes they get utterly hooked on an idea and can't write anything else until they get it out of their head.

That's how they write.

Dreamer44

Dec 19, 2019

Oh, the game will never be over.

Skooma has said in the Discord that they plan to keep writing for as long as they can.

Reactions: XIONGK

alfabb

Oct 11, 2018
If people are wondering why there are just a bunch of likes on this post and not really a bunch of people also defending Skooma like them:

It's because this slew of people storming in and yelling about how much they hate this or that, or demanding Skooma focus on one path (despite them having attempted that in the past and it clashing hard with their style to the point of actually be worse for that character, as they would start cramming in things into that character that should've gone to others), or any other myriad of complaints, happens literally every single update. Every single time there's an update that gets posted here, people come in and complain without reading quite frequently even the same page, much less even just 1-2 back. And we're all so sick of writing the same thing over and over that's just going to be ignored anyway.

Edit: And just to be clear, none of us care if you have problems with this game or Skooma, or whatever. We'd like more people to enjoy it, but if you don't then fine. Nobody is telling you to Like Thing Or Die. But Jesus Christ we're all SO sick of this shitfest every single month.
Imagine yourself as someone who doesn't know about this game. You see it in the latest updates, read the tags (Wow Incest+Bestiality+Necrophilia, thats the exact combo i always wanted!) and download the game without reading the millions of comments like any sane person would (Because some of them, like Liliths throne, are a longer read than tolstoys war and peace).

You start a game and take a path at random. How likely is it you will get to a third or fourth page? And how likely is it that the same will happen with your second and third path? The reason for the frustration is obvious, just try it out with a random number generator. You may know where the content lies, not everyone does.

What would help massively would be an indicator of the maximal page depth on each choice, so new people can find the content.

Casedy

Jan 30, 2020
So far I've seen the biggest complaint about this game being the Dev (Skooma) isn't focusing on one path towards completion. If this Dev was a writer, I'd say they were committing the greatest sin of storytelling by starting up a new story before finishing the current one. But this isn't a writer telling a story, it's a developer stringing an omnibus of various stories, with a multitude of themes and genres, together as one project.

As a writer, I know how long it can take to complete a single story. It can take a year for a novel, one of quality, to be completed. And that is because I'd like to forget what I wrote and review the work with a clear mind. This allows me to read over scenes without jumping to conclusions and, instead, I see whether or not I have made any mistakes that I would've overlooked as its creator. If Skooma doesn't have an editor or beta-readers, then this is all being done with time.

If Skooma reads this, I have something to say towards you: Ignore the anger of would-be kings and keep weaving the shroud, Penelope.

AAmTT

Dec 10, 2018
In case anyone doesn't check Skooma's patreon.

Hey, all. Kind of a difficult post to write for a lot of reasons, but it won't be too long of one.

For the time being, I'm going to be leaving the monthly charge off, and continue taking a break from Devious World.

I've always said that Devious World, Devious Mundanity, etc. are passion projects, and that I'm proud of the quality of them because I write things that I think would be great to read, and that I'm inspired to write. And before when I've taken breaks, especially longer ones, I've often felt the push to return to writing on it pretty quickly.

And that's just not happening so far this time.

I'm not sure if this is a sign of a deeper burnout, a fixation on other types of writing, or of some larger change in my life. I do know that in the last few months, maybe half year, I've dealt with some very difficult mental issues. I've pushed on and tried to keep going on the Devious stuff, but I found myself making excuses a lot and feeling like I had to justify things, and that was just more stressful and I think contributed further to the burnout.

I don't want to churn out by-the-book content just to make some sort of goal or justification for pledges... I only want to provide quality, and when I'm not feeling inspired or passionate about what I write, I don't feel like I'm giving you quality. So for now, I'm going to continue to focus on personal projects, and see if things change. I'll try to keep you updated.
tldr Month long hiatus and patreon payment pause extended indefinitely as Skooma deals with writing burnout and mental health issues

2.90 star(s) 53 Votes