Ren'Py [DevThread] Alexia's Return or Tara's Liberation

4.00 star(s) 1 Vote

RandyTyr

Game Developer
Apr 30, 2021
Alright, here is the beta:

As usual, it's feature-complete, but there are probably a few bugs I haven't found (and I haven't tested it thoroughly). The beta uses compressed images for Chapter 1 and 2, but the regular ones for Chapter 3. If anyone is inclined to beta-test, this is much appreciated.

Demoness_Kiss

Forum Fanatic
Jun 9, 2017
Alright, here is the beta:

As usual, it's feature-complete, but there are probably a few bugs I haven't found (and I haven't tested it thoroughly). The beta uses compressed images for Chapter 1 and 2, but the regular ones for Chapter 3. If anyone is inclined to beta-test, this is much appreciated.
you may wanna give us a little bit of changelog for this one ^^

Last edited:

Tosk

Jun 4, 2017
IOError: Couldn't find file 'Map1.png'
IOError: Couldn't find file 'Map2.png'

Last edited:

MaxTheDark

Apr 11, 2021
Short version of the changelog: First two levels of the temple.
In my opinion, suddenly changing mechanic from 'pick who you want to have sex with' to 'overcomplicated and unintuitive combat' is jarring to say the least and Im not enjoying the combat at all, so just a question: is there anything besides combat in this update?

(By the way I did love everything prior - that's partially why Im mildly annoyed. But I will leave a review in the original thread)

[EDIT]
Found a bug, if you try to go to sleep after losing all stamina but you've already seen the animation with her mother, the game will get stuck in a loop of 'She retreats, she sleeps, you cant see yet'

Loved the scene with mom tho :)

Last edited:

RandyTyr

Game Developer
Apr 30, 2021
In my opinion, suddenly changing mechanic from 'pick who you want to have sex with' to 'overcomplicated and unintuitive combat' is jarring to say the least and Im not enjoying the combat at all, so just a question: is there anything besides combat in this update?
The ratio of enemies to sex scenes is 3 to 1, not counting the night-scene. So the combat is interspersed with quite a bit of lewdness; but overall, what happens in 0.09 is "Tara fights and fucks her way through the first two levels of the temple."

(By the way I did love everything prior - that's partially why Im mildly annoyed. But I will leave a review in the original thread)
The mechanics will change once more once we get to Chapter 4, which will be closer in style to Chapter 1+2 than to Chapter 3. But there will be some realm-management mechanics there.

Found a bug, if you try to go to sleep after losing all stamina but you've already seen the animation with her mother, the game will get stuck in a loop of 'She retreats, she sleeps, you cant see yet'
It may be a questionable design choice on my side, but it's not a bug per se (unless the loop is too big, gotta double-check). The scene for the second night isn't implemented yet, so the second night can't happen. Using a loop rather than an ending should avoid issues with where exactly a player saves (I think).

Loved the scene with mom tho :)
Thanks! As weird as it may sound, it took me ages to write it.

MaxTheDark

Apr 11, 2021
The ratio of enemies to sex scenes is 3 to 1, not counting the night-scene. So the combat is interspersed with quite a bit of lewdness; but overall, what happens in 0.09 is "Tara fights and fucks her way through the first two levels of the temple."
Yes, after playing through I did notice it wasn't just combat. But at the same time, in my opinion the combat does get in the way. Mostly because it feels random and arbitrary. There should maybe be option to guard, when Tara (in my game - Jennifer) notices the attack is too powerful. Not being able to use any card I want feels like arbitrary hindrance to make fights harder.

And an option, in EVERY fight, to seduce the skeleton or something... :D

The mechanics will change once more once we get to Chapter 4, which will be closer in style to Chapter 1+2 than to Chapter 3. But there will be some realm-management mechanics there.
That's actually (aside from sounding very interesting) a rather good idea. That however assuming you will manage to implement it in an enjoyable and entertaining way, rather than clunky, random and not in any way fun...

It may be a questionable design choice on my side, but it's not a bug per se (unless the loop is too big, gotta double-check). The scene for the second night isn't implemented yet, so the second night can't happen. Using a loop rather than an ending should avoid issues with where exactly a player saves (I think).
Well I press [CTRL] and it just keeps running in circles.
[EDIT]
Tested, it goes on forever. It's impossible to regain energy second time.

Thanks! As weird as it may sound, it took me ages to write it.
I can imagine emotional reunion with your mother while she's still carrying you in her womb might be tricky to write well... :D

Apr 8, 2019
Is there anything we can do with the whispering skull for now on floor 2?
All Tara said was "I don't know how" and I can't figure out if there's something else I need to do to bring up another option.

MaxTheDark

Apr 11, 2021
Okay, so after getting quite far, I have to say: the combat is an obstacle, not a part of the game. It's something you need to get out of the way before you can have any fun. Its not challenging or engaging, it's luck based and does not - IMO - add to the game. On top of that, the system is using the worst aspects of card games and turn based strategy.

Coupled with missing maps, this update is a chore and I keep Alt-Tabbing to other games just for a little bit of fun. The few sex scenes that are in the game are entirely with creatures you meet in the dungeon, which is in stark contrast to the previous updates.

And I got this error after getting to, what I believe to be, stairs to the third (unimplemented) level.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Reactions: FartingPenguin

SUVA2000

Jun 28, 2020
When is the next update coming bro. I love your game.
Also facing a problem I have been losted in cave mission north south east west etc. No guide found to complete that.

Reactions: Shogu1

RandyTyr

Game Developer
Apr 30, 2021
One aspect of the upcoming update I want to discuss here is a new perk Tara can obtain when leveling up on the third floor of the temple, Obliteration Strike. Gaining the perk gives Tara another choice in fight scenes: To just obliterate the enemy in one go. There is a cost to this attack though, it costs her some stamina.

With Tara being able to get to 40 and more stamina, the problem arises that if I make the enemies so tough that she's at any risk of depleting her stamina, it is going to be very, very tedious. Getting hit 40 times would just take way too long. With the new attack, you can end fights very quickly, provided you are willing to risk spending the stamina.

Mechnically, each enemy has an initial cost of twice their health plus three times their lowest possible damage plus one times their highest possible damage. From this, the three card attacks Tara has showing are subtracted. The resulting number is the stamina cost for insta-killing the enemy (it is at least 2 though).

I hope this makes stamina a worthwhile stat to get more off even when you already have a lot; it adds some meaningful choice to the combat, and has the potential to make it quicker.

SUVA2000

Jun 28, 2020
One aspect of the upcoming update I want to discuss here is a new perk Tara can obtain when leveling up on the third floor of the temple, Obliteration Strike. Gaining the perk gives Tara another choice in fight scenes: To just obliterate the enemy in one go. There is a cost to this attack though, it costs her some stamina.

With Tara being able to get to 40 and more stamina, the problem arises that if I make the enemies so tough that she's at any risk of depleting her stamina, it is going to be very, very tedious. Getting hit 40 times would just take way too long. With the new attack, you can end fights very quickly, provided you are willing to risk spending the stamina.

Mechnically, each enemy has an initial cost of twice their health plus three times their lowest possible damage plus one times their highest possible damage. From this, the three card attacks Tara has showing are subtracted. The resulting number is the stamina cost for insta-killing the enemy (it is at least 2 though).

I hope this makes stamina a worthwhile stat to get more off even when you already have a lot; it adds some meaningful choice to the combat, and has the potential to make it quicker.
Any ETA of launch ??

RandyTyr

Game Developer
Apr 30, 2021
Any ETA of launch ??
I just finished writing the last scene (I really enjoyed that one). Image and video conversion are running right now. After that, I need to compile and upload, and the testing can begin.

Edit: Oh my, the game is getting very close to 5GB in size. Uploading will take a bit.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shogu1

SUVA2000

Jun 28, 2020
I just finished writing the last scene (I really enjoyed that one). Image and video conversion are running right now. After that, I need to compile and upload, and the testing can begin.

Edit: Oh my, the game is getting very close to 5GB in size. Uploading will take a bit.
Keep it up bro, no problem. Also join patreon & update further.

RandyTyr

Game Developer
Apr 30, 2021
So, here is v.0.10beta:

If it all works properly, it has everything in it the update is meant to have. The way I've implemented updating the temple relies on me being able to count, which I can't. It worked for me in the end that all the data lines up, but I wouldn't be surprised if there is a bug hiding here. Help in testing is appreciated!

Features:
- 2nd night in the temple (should start right where the previous update left off)
- Third floor of the temple, with 5 sex scenes

Once the third night in the temple starts, the update ends. (The third night and the final floor will come with the next update).

jcbchris

Dec 26, 2020
So, here is v.0.10beta:

If it all works properly, it has everything in it the update is meant to have. The way I've implemented updating the temple relies on me being able to count, which I can't. It worked for me in the end that all the data lines up, but I wouldn't be surprised if there is a bug hiding here. Help in testing is appreciated!

Features:
- 2nd night in the temple (should start right where the previous update left off)
- Third floor of the temple, with 5 sex scenes

Once the third night in the temple starts, the update ends. (The third night and the final floor will come with the next update).
I don't know if it's only me or not, but right when I fought priest of zandor near third floor stair there's an error of image not showing. It's still can be played tho. No bug encounter so far for newest features.

RandyTyr

Game Developer
Apr 30, 2021
I don't know if it's only me or not, but right when I fought priest of zandor near third floor stair there's an error of image not showing. It's still can be played tho. No bug encounter so far for newest features.
Thanks, I found the issue. The enemy was supposed to be a room earlier (so that is where his picture is). Luckily, just an isolated typo, nothing indicative of a more complicated problem.

SUVA2000

Jun 28, 2020
Thanks, I found the issue. The enemy was supposed to be a room earlier (so that is where his picture is). Luckily, just an isolated typo, nothing indicative of a more complicated problem.
Whenever trying to retreat and take rest it says game ends. Without rest how could we regenerate stamina bro ??

4.00 star(s) 1 Vote