[Discussion] BDSM in Adult games and in general!

Do you like BDSM in any way?

• Total voters

Segnbora

Aug 30, 2017
Could you expand a bit on these points, both sides? What was it exactly that sub needed and why is the loss control felt only at the end?
What this particular sub wanted and needed (and FWIW, it's a pretty common want/need among subs) was a total emotional release. All the steps to get there...restraints, caging, humiliation, various types of painful impact play, edging, denial, etc....were things she enjoyed or didn't, depending on their exact nature and who else was involved. But it was the point where, after minutes/hours/days of those things, she finally couldn't hold herself together anymore and had something that would have looked, to someone not involved in the scene or in getting her to that point, like a complete emotional breakdown. Hysterical sobbing, drool, orgasms, snot...you know, imagine your own visuals here...but it was the point where any semblance of control, even over her own body and mind, was not only fading, but gone. At that exact moment, all the stuff she was holding on to or trying to manage — problems at work, problems with her boyfriend, problems with her parents or her sister, problems with her car, whatever — came flooding out at the very same time, because she no longer possessed the ability to control them or herself. She would never, ever cry or show weakness in front of a boss or a coworker. She would patiently work to find any compromise that would placate her mom and keep their relationship as happy as possible. But there, at the end of a BDSM scene that was all about someone else taking any semblance of control or autonomy away from her...not just external, but (and more important) internal...she could let it all go.

(Obviously, she had safe words and thus ultimate autonomy should she not be feeling right about something.)

And then, after it was all over and the proper aftercare and so forth was provided, she was not only incredibly happy, but a much, much more emotionally balanced, stable, and strong person than she'd been before the d/s scene started.

Analogies are hard, because while these are fairly common needs BDSM/kink is a very specific and focused way of exploring them, but think about a time when you were unmanageably sad. Maybe someone close to you died unexpectedly, but you felt like you had to be strong for a friend, or a family member, and spent some amount of time focusing on caring for them. And then, one night, alone in a room, you just broke down and started crying...something you'd wanted and needed to do all along, but "couldn't" because you were being strong for someone else. So you cried, you let it all out, you allowed yourself to stop being strong, and after it was over you felt a sense of relief that you didn't have to hold that grief in anymore. That's, at least a little bit, the same sort of thing.

And the dom part, are you saying that most doms are not very confident and want control they don't have in life?
I'm not sure how you got that from what I wrote. No, I'm saying the complete opposite. A dominant enjoys experiences a lot more if they're in control. True dominants need to exert control, and in fact (though I don't have a survey to point to), it's my experience that true dominants have more difficulty "turning it off" in everyday life than true submissives, who can often compartmentalize that need. A true dominant is confident and prefers to exert control pretty much 24/7, and as a group they're outwardly very confident people; expressing doubts isn't something that interests most doms unless they're in a deep, trusting relationship with a sub, in which case it might happen there. But only in private, and never within the context of a power exchange situation (sexual or otherwise). Expressing doubts to a sub in the context of inhabiting their respective roles is a good way to damage a sub's trust in the dom, which is more or less the foundation of their relationship.

There are, of course, some "doms" who are as you describe, and they're not only not really dominant, they're the kind that end up making mistakes that can hurt people. "Hey, look at me, I'm using a flogger!" is only a little bit about flogging someone, but a lot about an ongoing wordless conversation between the wielder and the recipient in which "softer/harder/more/stop" has to be communicated by the recipient and read/heard by the wielder from visual and audible clues that would be opaque to someone who can only feel the leather in their hand and see the reddened flesh in front of them. Without that wordless communication, there's probably no power exchange going on, and so it's not dominance/submission, it's just flogging for the sake of flogging. There's nothing wrong with that, but trying to "play at" dominance and submission in such situations is often asking for trouble.

I think you might be confusing people who need to be in their roles 24/7 with people for whom the contrast is the thing they crave. One of my recent partners is a very, very powerful executive for a major tech company. She's a brilliant speaker, holds the attention of any room, and extremely successful. She's bossy, argumentative, critical, and stubborn (I mostly mean those as compliments, BTW). But in bed, she's a natural submissive...something she didn't know until I started exploring it with her. There are a lot of people exactly like her, and they come in all genders; any professional dominatrix could tell you that the majority of her clients are lawyers, politicians, doctors, and high-powered executives.

The friend that I was describing above is a very strong woman in everyday life, and very difficult to push around. Submission, for her, was partly a reaction to that; if she was with people she knew she could trust to prioritize her wellbeing, she would explore the submission and release with them that she wouldn't allow herself to experience outside those trusted relationships. For myself, as a non-24/7 dominant who prefers to restrict that role to the bedroom (metaphorically, I mean), there's great appeal in someone like that. Folks in a master/slave or 24/7 relationship want and need someone to be making all the decisions, all the time. That works for them, but it bores me to tears. But having someone who's at least my equal in all other situations submit to me in specific (emotional/sexual) moments is something I've learned that I really, really enjoy.

Ataios

Sep 11, 2017
Well in games you also want to live your fantasies, so rather than doing a rape-play game you would play a rape game.

I have the feeling that I should search for a good definition for BDSM and post it on the first thread :D

Well a relationship that takes over the daily life is called 24/7.
Well that theme with the kids is an interesstimg theme, but could also be made into a really funny story :biggrin:
I think many games are somewhat between consentual and non-consentual scenarios. In most corruption or "trainer" games, women are coerced into a submissive relationship but later enjoy it for some reason.

Naturally, I game about consentual BDSM would be slower paced than a typical corruption games. Convincing a woman to submit takes more effort than blackmailing her or using a mind control spell on her, especially if she is not openly submissive.

A son or daughter finding out about the parents' passion for BDSM might indeed make a good starting point for a game. In real life though, I think, if your BDSM kink ever leaves the bedroom, it will be harmful for small children and at least extremely embarassing for adult children. No child should ever see dad putting a leash around mom's neck or hear mom call dad "master".

GhostPhil

❤︎The Redhead Harem Master❤︎
Donor
Sep 3, 2018
I think many games are somewhat between consentual and non-consentual scenarios. In most corruption or "trainer" games, women are coerced into a submissive relationship but later enjoy it for some reason.
I agree! It's like they want to show the fantasy of non-consentual sex, but don't want to go too far.

Naturally, I game about consentual BDSM would be slower paced than a typical corruption games. Convincing a woman to submit takes more effort than blackmailing her or using a mind control spell on her, especially if she is not openly submissive.
Well you could speed it up a bit, if the woman is more experienced in the whole BDSM theme, but the trust is something that has to be build :) Well blackmail, mind controll, etc. are certainly popular.

A son or daughter finding out about the parents' passion for BDSM might indeed make a good starting point for a game. In real life though, I think, if your BDSM kink ever leaves the bedroom, it will be harmful for small children and at least extremely embarassing for adult children. No child should ever see dad putting a leash around mom's neck or hear mom call dad "master".
Yeah in RL I think parents should live this relationship more outside the house xD For me it is already weird enough to know that my parents are watching BDSM themed movies x'D

Reactions: Furuichi Imadori

trdx

Aug 10, 2018
What this particular sub wanted and needed (and FWIW, it's a pretty common want/need among subs) was a total emotional release. All the steps to get there...restraints, caging, humiliation, various types of painful impact play, edging, denial, etc....were things she enjoyed or didn't, depending on their exact nature and who else was involved. But it was the point where, after minutes/hours/days of those things, she finally couldn't hold herself together anymore and had something that would have looked, to someone not involved in the scene or in getting her to that point, like a complete emotional breakdown. Hysterical sobbing, drool, orgasms, snot...you know, imagine your own visuals here...but it was the point where any semblance of control, even over her own body and mind, was not only fading, but gone. At that exact moment, all the stuff she was holding on to or trying to manage — problems at work, problems with her boyfriend, problems with her parents or her sister, problems with her car, whatever — came flooding out at the very same time, because she no longer possessed the ability to control them or herself. She would never, ever cry or show weakness in front of a boss or a coworker. She would patiently work to find any compromise that would placate her mom and keep their relationship as happy as possible. But there, at the end of a BDSM scene that was all about someone else taking any semblance of control or autonomy away from her...not just external, but (and more important) internal...she could let it all go.

(Obviously, she had safe words and thus ultimate autonomy should she not be feeling right about something.)

And then, after it was all over and the proper aftercare and so forth was provided, she was not only incredibly happy, but a much, much more emotionally balanced, stable, and strong person than she'd been before the d/s scene started.

Analogies are hard, because while these are fairly common needs BDSM/kink is a very specific and focused way of exploring them, but think about a time when you were unmanageably sad. Maybe someone close to you died unexpectedly, but you felt like you had to be strong for a friend, or a family member, and spent some amount of time focusing on caring for them. And then, one night, alone in a room, you just broke down and started crying...something you'd wanted and needed to do all along, but "couldn't" because you were being strong for someone else. So you cried, you let it all out, you allowed yourself to stop being strong, and after it was over you felt a sense of relief that you didn't have to hold that grief in anymore. That's, at least a little bit, the same sort of thing.

I'm not sure how you got that from what I wrote. No, I'm saying the complete opposite. A dominant enjoys experiences a lot more if they're in control. True dominants need to exert control, and in fact (though I don't have a survey to point to), it's my experience that true dominants have more difficulty "turning it off" in everyday life than true submissives, who can often compartmentalize that need. A true dominant is confident and prefers to exert control pretty much 24/7, and as a group they're outwardly very confident people; expressing doubts isn't something that interests most doms unless they're in a deep, trusting relationship with a sub, in which case it might happen there. But only in private, and never within the context of a power exchange situation (sexual or otherwise). Expressing doubts to a sub in the context of inhabiting their respective roles is a good way to damage a sub's trust in the dom, which is more or less the foundation of their relationship.

There are, of course, some "doms" who are as you describe, and they're not only not really dominant, they're the kind that end up making mistakes that can hurt people. "Hey, look at me, I'm using a flogger!" is only a little bit about flogging someone, but a lot about an ongoing wordless conversation between the wielder and the recipient in which "softer/harder/more/stop" has to be communicated by the recipient and read/heard by the wielder from visual and audible clues that would be opaque to someone who can only feel the leather in their hand and see the reddened flesh in front of them. Without that wordless communication, there's probably no power exchange going on, and so it's not dominance/submission, it's just flogging for the sake of flogging. There's nothing wrong with that, but trying to "play at" dominance and submission in such situations is often asking for trouble.

I think you might be confusing people who need to be in their roles 24/7 with people for whom the contrast is the thing they crave. One of my recent partners is a very, very powerful executive for a major tech company. She's a brilliant speaker, holds the attention of any room, and extremely successful. She's bossy, argumentative, critical, and stubborn (I mostly mean those as compliments, BTW). But in bed, she's a natural submissive...something she didn't know until I started exploring it with her. There are a lot of people exactly like her, and they come in all genders; any professional dominatrix could tell you that the majority of her clients are lawyers, politicians, doctors, and high-powered executives.

The friend that I was describing above is a very strong woman in everyday life, and very difficult to push around. Submission, for her, was partly a reaction to that; if she was with people she knew she could trust to prioritize her wellbeing, she would explore the submission and release with them that she wouldn't allow herself to experience outside those trusted relationships. For myself, as a non-24/7 dominant who prefers to restrict that role to the bedroom (metaphorically, I mean), there's great appeal in someone like that. Folks in a master/slave or 24/7 relationship want and need someone to be making all the decisions, all the time. That works for them, but it bores me to tears. But having someone who's at least my equal in all other situations submit to me in specific (emotional/sexual) moments is something I've learned that I really, really enjoy.
Thanks for the detailed explanation, I think I understand it much better now. Well, as much as a non-practitioner could, I guess.

Based on the posts in this thread, I got an impression that BDSM practitioners are more prone to being involved in some kind of an open relationship, sharing partners or just in general involving other people. Would this impression be correct? On average of course, relatively.

Segnbora

Aug 30, 2017
I have no real idea if open/poly/swinging relationships are more common in the BDSM/kink community (though I wouldn't be surprised), but I'd have no problem agreeing that they're more openly talked about in that community. I think that follows from the general ethos of acceptance; someone who likes [unusual thing] is far more likely to be accepting of [another unusual thing] than a random person on the street.

That said, non-monogamous play relationships are very, very common (but not universal) in the BDSM/kink world. Which makes sense, because there's a pretty big list of kinks that don't actually require a sexual component to be enjoyable for someone who's into them. Whether at parties or in private, a lot of people — freely or selectively — engage in their specific kinks with people who are not their primary partner(s). Micro-communities are pretty common as well, in which a collection of people who share a kink (rope, leather, ballgags, whatever) form sort of an interest group that plays together; some of these including swinging/open/poly play and relationships, some of them don't, and some of them are more complex than that...X and Y are open to sex with anyone, Z will do rope with anyone but only has sex with Q, etc. All that said, play doesn't always mean or lead to sex, even when the kinks (like rope) frequently involve what would otherwise look like sexual contact. As usual, if everything's negotiated in advance and limits are respected, there's a great deal of fun to be had whether or not there's sex involved.

Ataios

Sep 11, 2017
I think, the most problematic part here, is, when partners can't agree where sex starts. Some members of the BDSM community consider kinks rope play or spanking sex, while others don't. So one partner may engage in this kinks with a third person and not consider it cheating, while the other partner sees that quite different.

Segnbora

Aug 30, 2017
While I can imagine that happens from time to time, I'll say that no one I know whose relationship involves BDSM or kinks and who plays with others doesn't talk about that sort of thing, usually in advance and in meticulous detail. I guess if it's true cheating then I wouldn't know about it, but I try to avoid situations that could turn toxic.

But yes, of course lots of things that go on in BDSM/kink play can be sexualized or not, depending on how everyone involves views them. Spanking's a good example; I know people who are into it because it turns them on (both giving and receiving), I know people who are into it for the punishment aspect, and I know people who are into it for both. And rope is an excellent example, because there are a huge number of people who are almost exclusively into it for the art/craft/skill/beauty of it, almost to the point where the fact that it's so regularly associated with nudity and sex seems ridiculous, because I don't actually know all that many people who include sex (more specifically, friction-based sex) in their elaborate rope play. That they find it sensual is pretty common, but I certainly know plenty of people who will let pretty much anyone tie them up (or will tie pretty much anyone up), but who are vastly more selective when it comes to any other sort of play.

GhostPhil

Donor
Sep 3, 2018
@Walg There are some things that I think about the most and you can see it in my posts :D

GhostPhil

Donor
Sep 3, 2018
I'm learning with the best ones...

But hey.... you guys who are more into this stuff and know where to search for... give us some pics of games with it....(not about the nettles, about the BDSM stuff in general)... this thread is a little needy for them...
That's the sad part. There aren't really that much and when there are mostly show really light BDSM... :(