• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

rpdl.net discussion & questions (torrents)

moose_puck

Sep 6, 2021
Whatever you do to start these things.. it works (y)

6 mins after you posted The Assistant , I grabbed it in 22 seconds. Takes me longer then that sometimes, just to navigate through the click bait on most DL sites.

Capture.JPG

• Wow
Reactions: desmosome

moose_puck

Sep 6, 2021
Your internet speed is nuts, you're literally getting the games before they're finished syncing to my other nodes...
I'm on a gigabyte cable connection that connects to fibre like 50 feet from my house. I love it, and the prices are amazing now. I find that I max out at about 130MB/s down on a single connection.. but with torrents, I have pushed that up to 300-330MB/s down on multiple connections. Theoretically, my ISP says i could stream 17 HD movies at once, lol. And it's unlimited (with a fair use policy of course, so i don't run any home servers). Even 5 years ago, I would have never dreamed of downloading 8GB games in 15 mins, only to play them for a few hours and then delete them off my HD.

RPDL

do torrent. go fast.
Donor
Dec 17, 2020
I'm on a gigabyte cable connection that connects to fibre like 50 feet from my house. I love it, and the prices are amazing now. I find that I max out at about 130MB/s down on a single connection.. but with torrents, I have pushed that up to 300-330MB/s down on multiple connections. Theoretically, my ISP says i could stream 17 HD movies at once, lol. And it's unlimited (with a fair use policy of course, so i don't run any home servers). Even 5 years ago, I would have never dreamed of downloading 8GB games in 15 mins, only to play them for a few hours and then delete them off my HD.
Im jealous :)

• Red Heart
Reactions: moose_puck

Mario4don

Your Mother's Lover
Donor
Dec 16, 2018
rpdl Can you please make also a torrent for Deadlocked in Time Part1-Fixed-pc ?
You have made torrent for last update which is Ch. 6 Part 2 but to play the last version you need to save at the end of the first part (Chapter 5) which is a separate version of the game and since this part takes almost 4 GB, a torrent would also be useful.

RPDL

do torrent. go fast.
Donor
Dec 17, 2020
rpdl Can you please make also a torrent for Deadlocked in Time Part1-Fixed-pc ?
You have made torrent for last update which is Ch. 6 Part 2 but to play the last version you need to save at the end of the first part (Chapter 5) which is a separate version of the game and since this part takes almost 4 GB, a torrent would also be useful.
Done!

Reactions: Mario4don

Pete7203

Mar 19, 2019
Hey rpdl. I just want to thank you for your efforts so far and I hope, that your service get's the recongnition it deserves! I abolished torrents back in the early 2000s for the sake of usenet. I always felt torrents were slow and full of malware (and they were at that time). With the end of nopy you've shed some light on torrents for me again, and I couldn't be more happier.
I got download speeds (western europe) of nearly 40-50 MB/s, so almoust my full connection through a vpn. I try to keep my seeds open as long as possible, to help spread the load.
I'd like to support your network, buy you some coffee now and then or have ways of donating if I see the road you're taking is doing everyones a favour. Patreon isn't my cup of tea (or coffee). Do you offer anything else?
Btw, do you plan on hosting any rpgm's as well?

RPDL

do torrent. go fast.
Donor
Dec 17, 2020
Hey rpdl. I just want to thank you for your efforts so far and I hope, that your service get's the recongnition it deserves! I abolished torrents back in the early 2000s for the sake of usenet. I always felt torrents were slow and full of malware (and they were at that time). With the end of nopy you've shed some light on torrents for me again, and I couldn't be more happier.
I got download speeds (western europe) of nearly 40-50 MB/s, so almoust my full connection through a vpn. I try to keep my seeds open as long as possible, to help spread the load.
I'd like to support your network, buy you some coffee now and then or have ways of donating if I see the road you're taking is doing everyones a favour. Patreon isn't my cup of tea (or coffee). Do you offer anything else?
Btw, do you plan on hosting any rpgm's as well?
heyo!

Thanks for the kind words, happy I could help!

Yeah, bittorrent is like cockroaches, it'll be here forever. It feels like dated technology and tbh, it is in some aspects but that doesn't mean it still can't be useful. It's also (in my opinion) perfectly suited to this exact scenario.

I do accept donations on the site via stripe but tbh, I'm not all that comfortable with it - I don't like the idea of people using a credit card. Honestly I don't really know the best way to fund it, paypal won't work long term so that rules out Patreon & Subscribestar and crypto just isn't used enough. It's pretty tricky.

Once I'm fully up to date with Ren'Py games I'll branch out to the other engines posted here too but if I had to guess, it'd probably be January/February before I get around to it.

With that said, if there's a certain game that you're having trouble with just ask, I'm happy to make torrents for whatever misc games people need - I just don't want to commit to it fully until I know I can keep up :)

Dec 7, 2019
You're a saviour, man.

I know nothing about this site but your torrents should be added in the downloads sections, the only superior alternative was Nopy.

RPDL

do torrent. go fast.
Donor
Dec 17, 2020
Reactions: Sorrow_Harvester

moose_puck

Sep 6, 2021
Do you have 3 nodes that seed your torrents? I'm just curious because when i grab older torrents I notice that I always have 3 peers when I start them.

BTW, burning up the line today... grabbed this old game (Can't believe I missed it b4) and it downloaded so fast, I almost didn't have time to open the snipping tool, lol.

Capture.JPG

RPDL

do torrent. go fast.
Donor
Dec 17, 2020
Do you have 3 nodes that seed your torrents? I'm just curious because when i grab older torrents I notice that I always have 3 peers when I start them.

BTW, burning up the line today... grabbed this old game (Can't believe I missed it b4) and it downloaded so fast, I almost didn't have time to open the snipping tool, lol.

View attachment 1506213
Yeah, 3 nodes now. Two are mine for other projects, one entirely for this. I do eventually want to move everything to it's own thing once funding takes off.

One on OVH, one on Leaseweb and one on Hetzner :D

Reactions: moose_puck

LightmanP

Modder
Game Developer
Oct 5, 2020
It's all good, I understand why things are the way they are and that's totally fine :)
I wonder if you've received a reply to that ticket asking why your torrents aren't added to OPs anymore. Is that because they're on your own website or smth?

Pete7203

Mar 19, 2019
heyo!

Thanks for the kind words, happy I could help!

Yeah, bittorrent is like cockroaches, it'll be here forever. It feels like dated technology and tbh, it is in some aspects but that doesn't mean it still can't be useful. It's also (in my opinion) perfectly suited to this exact scenario.

I do accept donations on the site via stripe but tbh, I'm not all that comfortable with it - I don't like the idea of people using a credit card. Honestly I don't really know the best way to fund it, paypal won't work long term so that rules out Patreon & Subscribestar and crypto just isn't used enough. It's pretty tricky.

Once I'm fully up to date with Ren'Py games I'll branch out to the other engines posted here too but if I had to guess, it'd probably be January/February before I get around to it.

With that said, if there's a certain game that you're having trouble with just ask, I'm happy to make torrents for whatever misc games people need - I just don't want to commit to it fully until I know I can keep up :)
Hey rpdl I think we (as a community) should find a way to have a kind of secure payment processor for content creators who work outside of the realm of big brand monetizing and who might fear of a reputation loss due to any obscure morality standards.

And don't get me wrong. I condemn any illegal activities, which are objectively wrong and rightfully prosecuted in most countries. So I don't want to tend to the dark web or fishy crypto companies, because I don't feel, that this community should be part of it.

But I am not really savant in that matter. So maybe someone has an idea fior the furture.
As for now, I'm happy to help with what is suitable for you. But I couldn't find any further information except your patreon. If you could provide me with some link, where I could donate, I'd be happy to invest in your service ;)

As for rpgm, it was just e genuine interest, nothing peticular at the moment. You do, as you see fit.
And thanks again for your effort.

Cheers.

RPDL

do torrent. go fast.
Donor
Dec 17, 2020
I wonder if you've received a reply to that ticket asking why your torrents aren't added to OPs anymore. Is that because they're on your own website or smth?
Yeah, there's a few minor things to be worked out really, and they are valid concerns. I'm waiting to hear back from the two people testing out the Mac version before I just swap to torrenting them "as is". I'd prefer not to cos, well, it's shitty for mac users.

I feel like it works just as well without having the torrent link in the OP tbh, people still seem to be able to find the post pretty easily and it probably takes a weight off the mods cos I was basically spamming them every day with requests.

LightmanP

Modder
Game Developer
Oct 5, 2020
Yeah, there's a few minor things to be worked out really, and they are valid concerns. I'm waiting to hear back from the two people testing out the Mac version before I just swap to torrenting them "as is". I'd prefer not to cos, well, it's shitty for mac users.

I feel like it works just as well without having the torrent link in the OP tbh, people still seem to be able to find the post pretty easily and it probably takes a weight off the mods cos I was basically spamming them every day with requests.
Judging by download stats I have, mac users are ~5% of the users. Something to consider if you will be making separate downloads for them. May be more reasonable to just educate people on how to run games through the SDK.

Maybe, but in big threads, it would definitely be good to have those in OP. Afaik you can make reports as Game Update and then uploaders can take care of them. That should be easier since there are more of them than mods.
Anyways, definitely appreciate your work for bigger games, thank you!

Also, have you considered having torrents of already unpacked games instead of .zips? Just feels a bit odd downloading a .zip through torrent, having it already unpacked is more convenient. People may also seed longer if files are not just dead weight and they can play the game and also seed. I'm guessing it may be more work for your servers, but it seems like you modify games anyways, so maybe it's not that relevant? That would only work smoothly for Windows maybe since other OS need different permissions...

Last edited:
  • Red Heart
Reactions: RPDL

RPDL

do torrent. go fast.
Donor
Dec 17, 2020
Hey rpdl I think we (as a community) should find a way to have a kind of secure payment processor for content creators who work outside of the realm of big brand monetizing and who might fear of a reputation loss due to any obscure morality standards.

And don't get me wrong. I condemn any illegal activities, which are objectively wrong and rightfully prosecuted in most countries. So I don't want to tend to the dark web or fishy crypto companies, because I don't feel, that this community should be part of it.

But I am not really savant in that matter. So maybe someone has an idea fior the furture.
As for now, I'm happy to help with what is suitable for you. But I couldn't find any further information except your patreon. If you could provide me with some link, where I could donate, I'd be happy to invest in your service ;)

As for rpgm, it was just e genuine interest, nothing peticular at the moment. You do, as you see fit.
And thanks again for your effort.

Cheers.
Tell ya what, don't donate yet. I definitely appreciate the sentiment but you are right, I/we need something more robust. Treat yourself to a nice take-out or a 6 pack of beer instead for now :)

Judging by download stats I have, mac users are ~5% of the users. Something to consider if you will be making separate downloads for them. May be more reasonable to just educate people on how to run games through the SDK.

Maybe, but in big threads, it would definitely be good to have those in OP. Afaik you can make reports as Game Update and then uploaders can take care of them. That should be easier since there are more of them than mods.
Anyways, definitely appreciate your work for bigger games, thank you!

Also, have you considered having torrents of already unpacked games instead of .zips? Just feels a bit odd downloading a .zip through torrent, having it already unpacked is more convenient. People may also seed longer if files are not just dead weight and they can play the game and also seed. I'm guessing it may be more work for your servers, but it seems like you modify games anyways, so maybe it's not that relevant? That would only work smoothly for Windows maybe since other OS need different permissions...
Yeah, the Mac people are definitely the minority, I'm hoping there's a way to just include everyone to keep things simple.

Regarding serving them unzipped, the main reason against it is a server thing. tl;dr , which in laymans terms is just too many files for the underlying filesystem to keep track of. It's not a problem yet, but it's an inevitability really so it's better to stay on the safe side.

edit; also one thing I missed. Once the initial rush is over, people really don't need to seed the files. Sure, when Being a DIK drops tomorrow it'd be nice to have seeds for maybe 6 hours but afterwards I have 3 servers dedicated to serving all torrents 24/7 so it really isn't necessary :)

Last edited:
Reactions: LightmanP

LightmanP

Modder
Game Developer
Oct 5, 2020
Tell ya what, don't donate yet. I definitely appreciate the sentiment but you are right, I/we need something more robust. Treat yourself to a nice take-out or a 6 pack of beer instead for now :)

Yeah, the Mac people are definitely the minority, I'm hoping there's a way to just include everyone to keep things simple.

Regarding serving them unzipped, the main reason against it is a server thing. tl;dr , which in laymans terms is just too many files for the underlying filesystem to keep track of. It's not a problem yet, but it's an inevitability really so it's better to stay on the safe side.

edit; also one thing I missed. Once the initial rush is over, people really don't need to seed the files. Sure, when Being a DIK drops tomorrow it'd be nice to have seeds for maybe 6 hours but afterwards I have 3 servers dedicated to serving all torrents 24/7 so it really isn't necessary :)
Gotcha, thanks.

RPDL

do torrent. go fast.
Donor
Dec 17, 2020
So I've been working on a thing that I wanna offer to people who compress games

It's super beta because to run this properly it'd need to be clustered, at the moment it's sitting on the same box as one that's already seeding.

If any compressors would like to test it out please hop into my DMs :)

Also if there's anyone decent with photoshop or whatever that wants to put together a logo/banner/favicon or something that'd be cool, but not really important.