rpdl.net discussion & questions (torrents)

gojira667

Sep 9, 2019
Releases are no longer modified - I now unzip them, scan them for any malware and then re-zip them again. This does mean I no longer attempt to bundle MacOS versions so all torrents are now considered PC/Linux only. (Sorry Mac users)
Are you still re-zipping them with the new workflow rather than using the original archives if the files are clean? I assume the recreated archive's metadata wouldn't match with the original archive...

Last edited:

RPDL

do torrent. go fast.
Donor
Dec 17, 2020
Heyy could you make a torrent of this game
done!

torrent for Manilla Shaw
size = 4GB+
In progress now.

edit - done -

Are you still re-zipping them with the new workflow rather than using the original archives if the files are clean? I assume the recreated archive's metadata wouldn't match with the original archive...
Correct me if I misunderstood you. My current workflow is -> Download -> unzip -> Scan -> zip -> Create torrent -> post to discord -> build site

If a scan ever does find something malicious the build stops.

Last edited:
Reactions: red-NINE

gojira667

Sep 9, 2019
Correct me if I misunderstood you. My current workflow is -> Download -> unzip -> Scan -> zip -> Create torrent -> post to discord -> build site

If a scan ever does find something malicious the build stops.
Right. Since you no longer modify the releases to add support for Mac there's no reason for step 4 (zip). You can skip that saving time & CPU and create the torrent from the initial download.
This would also have the torrent be the original dev's archive and not some rpdl version of it. Which, among the other reasons, can ease some people's minds who are leery of torrents to begin with.

BTW, I tried the Sorcerer torrent the other week and averaged 15.5-15.7 down :D. That's maxed out as it's an old cable modem.

Reactions: Yngling

bigguy_foryou

Jun 8, 2018
The best middle ground re. zipping would be to only zip the releases that have loose media files. ie. RenPy releases archiving with RPA might have few enough files to avoid inode exhaustion, or not, maybe even then there are just too many files long term.

Right. Since you no longer modify the releases to add support for Mac there's no reason for step 4 (zip). You can skip that saving time & CPU and create the torrent from the initial download.
There are a few cases in which the original release has the Linux support stripped (or not included?) as well, and in those (admittedly rare) cases it's nice for it to be included. But the issue is easily solved by each user as well so it wouldn't be a big deal, it is annoying though. Linux support only adds like 40M to the download, 20M if people would abandon 32-bit.
I really don't know why some games decide to make an entirely separate (and often outdated) release for it.

This would also have the torrent be the original dev's archive and not some rpdl version of it. Which, among the other reasons, can ease some people's minds who are leery of torrents to begin with.
It isn't as if these original releases ever come with a hash, so anyone leery of malicious modifications would be silly to trust that it wasn't modified at all if they don't already trust that they're not modified maliciously.

cypr

May 2, 2017
i would just mirror the original file as torrent. no unpack/scan/repack. with original files you can always blame the developer, but i think the uploaders from F95 are already checking the files before making their mirrors (correct me if wrong)

advantage would be, that these torrent mirrors can be accepted as official mirrors in the link post, cause it's an unmodified file.

Yngling

Nov 15, 2020
Or, if you want to scan them:

Unzip (keep original zipfile) => scan unzipped files => discard unzipped files => upload original zipfile

RPDL

do torrent. go fast.
Donor
Dec 17, 2020
cypr Yngling gojira667 bigguy_foryou

Okay, so for the zipping - there's a few reasons why I do it. So there's the afore mentioned inode thing but there's also a few more:

1. It allows me to generate a hashsum of the entire "release", so to speak.
2. It stops people knowingly or unknowingly modifying what they're seeding. For example, if somebody downloaded a torrent but the Mac files were inside and they deleted them, they'd still be reporting to the tracker that they have them and it's just messy all around. Then if they got an error from the tracker, they'd need to "recheck" their files and I think that's going a bit too far into what's needed of people (if they want to seed).
3. Compression! It might feel miniscule on a per-game basis but that 5-10% really adds up when you're archiving + seeding 500+ torrents at once. Not only on the disk space side of things, but the bandwidth side of things too.

Aside from the "i don't want to have 2 copies of the game" to seed, is there any other arguments against serving them zipped?

I'm aware people might feel uneasy if there's a tag before it (IE rpdl.net-) but it's the same for all, if I was going to sabotage a torrent or if any of the compressors would, they would just do it - but we don't. It's all down to trust at the end of the day and I like to think part of the reason my torrents are popular is because I'm trusted, at least to some extent - it's something that'll build up as time goes on too. I don't plan on stopping making torrents and obviously, I'm never going to attach anything malicious to one.

One other important thing too is that there's a form of responsibility on me with regards to f95 users if they're seeding. When I post torrents they're leaked pretty quickly to chinese sites. I toyed with passwording the zips in the past (IE Password = f95zone) to remind people where it comes from but I think that's a step too far, at least for now. There's no real "perfect" solution to this so I think reminding people where/who created the torrents and is the primary driver behind the traffic is a small price to pay. As a note too, I can't and shouldn't use the f95zone URL as this isn't an official f95zone project, it'd be unfair to add additional scrutiny on the staff here for something I'm doing, which is why I use my own domain.

If there was a way to lock torrent access to only this forum, great, I'd love to - but there isn't. Even if I added the private flag, anyone can still take the torrent and post it elsewhere. I'd need to incorporate a passkey and by then, we're basically talking about just hosting a private tracker and that's not the way I want to take things. It needs to be open first and foremost.

Let me know what you guys think on the above, it's quite a bit to digest but I think it should explain my reasoning behind it!

bigguy_foryou

Jun 8, 2018
Aside from the "i don't want to have 2 copies of the game" to seed, is there any other arguments against serving them zipped?
No, it's fine. Most people aren't going to seed anyway and you've already said that after the first few hours it's a non issue for people to HnR. Anyone wanting to help out can simply not delete the zip for a day or two.
If it helps you manage things better long term with better file management and reduced storage usage it's more than worth the small downside for users.

EDIT:
There is one other downside I can think of. With unzipped files it's possible that users would be able to force-recheck the previous version data with the new release torrent and potentially significantly reduce the download. However I'm not sure how efficient that would actually be with big fat singular archive.rpa files, despite their contents being 95% the same as the old version it's possible it wouldn't find any matching pieces at all and would be completely 'new' data.

However this lends to a greater issue with how updates are handled for these games in general, bless the developers that release a new rpa archive for each release which could be easily given as a small update if desired (it rarely is but in theory...).

Again, users will just have to deal with the issue though, it's not like they don't already with other methods.

Last edited:
Reactions: RPDL

pedrohuya

Sep 19, 2017
Hi! I don't now if this is the place for reporting issues but here you go:

404 error on this url:
from this page:

Thank you for all of your work.

• Thinking Face
Reactions: RPDL

RPDL

do torrent. go fast.
Donor
Dec 17, 2020
Hi! I don't now if this is the place for reporting issues but here you go:

404 error on this url:
from this page:

Thank you for all of your work.
ever look at a URL for so long but can't quite see the difference? that's me right now, i don't know where the typo is/was but I have it fixed in my local repo, will be properly fixed on the site in about 10ish minutes when I deploy with an update for this game

Thank you for reporting!

edit; fixed now by the way, at least the link on the site is, not the one in your message :)

Last edited:
Reactions: pedrohuya

cypr

May 2, 2017
you shouldnt even unzip the files in the first place. just DL from Mega etc. make a hash if you want (no need for that honestly, nobody is using that, just check the zip file for integrity (unzip -f or whatever u are using))

and you cant protect your torrents unless the tracker itself is private with login data etc.

i know you want to leave your mark and want appreciation by tagging everything etc. - i made torrents before for big files like "being a DIK" for the last versions and i just mirrored the file and tagged the torrent with F95 and didn't ask for donations or anything, cause my servers have enough bandwidth to share and are cheap value servers - and if i'm serious for a big initial seed, i just spin up some cloud instances or buy one or two feral instances that provide ~1.5gbit per instance easily for 10 bucks.

Reactions: gojira667

RPDL

do torrent. go fast.
Donor
Dec 17, 2020
you shouldnt even unzip the files in the first place. just DL from Mega etc. make a hash if you want (no need for that honestly, nobody is using that, just check the zip file for integrity (unzip -f or whatever u are using))

and you cant protect your torrents unless the tracker itself is private with login data etc.

i know you want to leave your mark and want appreciation by tagging everything etc. - i made torrents before for big files like "being a DIK" for the last versions and i just mirrored the file and tagged the torrent with F95 and didn't ask for donations or anything, cause my servers have enough bandwidth to share and are cheap value servers - and if i'm serious for a big initial seed, i just spin up some cloud instances or buy one or two feral instances that provide ~1.5gbit per instance easily for 10 bucks.
We'll have to agree to disagree I suppose - thanks for the feedback!

RPDL

do torrent. go fast.
Donor
Dec 17, 2020
Re-wrote my entire workflow and fixed a few dirty bugs last night, thanks to Mario4don for reporting one with seeds not coming online!

Everything should be more robust now and immediate speeds much faster too. It does take a little longer to deploy changes but mistakes are less likely.

Reactions: Mario4don

moose_puck

Sep 6, 2021
Hey rpdl ,

Asking for a real solid here... Would it be possible for you to make torrents for both Season 1 and 2 of Thirsty for My Guest ?

I noticed you did the updated season 3 today and this request is totally selfish --> see, I always do this dumb thing where I download the most recent file first, in a hurry and usually with Mega, then I see I have to have the other previous parts as well and they are larger and now I have no cap left (*shame*) And all the other DL choices are hours long ... ugg!

RPDL

do torrent. go fast.
Donor
Dec 17, 2020
Hey rpdl ,

Asking for a real solid here... Would it be possible for you to make torrents for both Season 1 and 2 of Thirsty for My Guest ?

I noticed you did the updated season 3 today and this request is totally selfish --> see, I always do this dumb thing where I download the most recent file first, in a hurry and usually with Mega, then I see I have to have the other previous parts as well and they are larger and now I have no cap left (*shame*) And all the other DL choices are hours long ... ugg!
already done -

Reactions: moose_puck