jhustrue

Mar 3, 2020
If it's not too difficult, can you provide the total added word count for the updates on the changelog in the future? It's nice to have a rough estimate of how much content there is added, like a lot of other games do with the render count.

Reactions: Cryswar

Cryswar

The Profound Dorkness
Game Developer
May 31, 2019
If it's not too difficult, can you provide the total added word count for the updates on the changelog in the future? It's nice to have a rough estimate of how much content there is added, like a lot of other games do with the render count.
I did that for a few updates, but no one really seemed interested so I stopped. Renpy's linter does make it pretty easy to do though, so I could start doing it again.

IDK exactly how many words the last update added, but the game as a whole is up to 97,565 words of dialogue/description as of the current 0.6 version. I think it was around 15-20k at 0.1 for reference.

Reactions: jhustrue

moopdom

Apr 8, 2019
Is it just me or is the new area WAY harder than the previous area? I had leveled up pretty well in the previous area during the .5 release and then I used the same save for the new area and suddenly I'm getting TPKed in the second battle of the adventure. Any chance of cheats for folks who just want to enjoy the story?

Cryswar

The Profound Dorkness
Game Developer
May 31, 2019
Is it just me or is the new area WAY harder than the previous area? I had leveled up pretty well in the previous area during the .5 release and then I used the same save for the new area and suddenly I'm getting TPKed in the second battle of the adventure. Any chance of cheats for folks who just want to enjoy the story?
It is definitely harder - might have overshot a bit, idk. I'm gonna lower the damage a bit in 0.7. I didn't have much issue finishing it at 16, but especially if you're trying to fight all the hobs, it can be pretty challenging.

That said, yes, cheats are absolutely coming! I'm going to try to fit easy mode (3x xp/trust gained) in 0.7, idk if 0.7 or 0.8 will have refund stuff, and there'll likely be a full-on cheat menu later. I absolutely have no issue with people cheating, that's part of why I left it so moddable.

If you have Notepad++ or anything fancier than Notepad, you can just go to Dawn\game\dawncode\actors\monsters\arden_expanse and edit the hobs as desired; less hp, or change strengthGrowth from 1 to 0.75 to make the fighters get less strength each level, etc.

Reactions: B2B2 and Nevart

zeraligator

May 25, 2018
The slime girl(I'm terrible at names) handed my protag quite easily in the 1v1 mock battle, somehow the following scene implied quite the opposite. It stated that she had put up a good fight but that she wasn't really a fighter.

It would be nice if it was possible to set what skills show up, I don't need three basic attack and three improved attacks that all cost the same(nothing). Alternatively, you could also make the mastered skills replace the base ones.

Cryswar

The Profound Dorkness
Game Developer
May 31, 2019
The slime girl(I'm terrible at names) handed my protag quite easily in the 1v1 mock battle, somehow the following scene implied quite the opposite. It stated that she had put up a good fight but that she wasn't really a fighter.

It would be nice if it was possible to set what skills show up, I don't need three basic attack and three improved attacks that all cost the same(nothing). Alternatively, you could also make the mastered skills replace the base ones.
Yeah, when I made that I forgot that your HP gets returned to 1 instead of 0 after a battle so the check was wrong. Will be fixed for 0.7.

If you go to the menu and click Abilities, you can hide any ability you don't want to see in battle. Hopefully 0.7 will make the OG ability get auto hidden when you get the mastery. Long term there'll likely be a way to get both masteries and combine them into a super ability, but I'm still finalizing some of the details so I'm not 100% sure how to handle the base ability yet since you might need it later.

zeraligator

May 25, 2018
Yeah, when I made that I forgot that your HP gets returned to 1 instead of 0 after a battle so the check was wrong. Will be fixed for 0.7.

If you go to the menu and click Abilities, you can hide any ability you don't want to see in battle. Hopefully 0.7 will make the OG ability get auto hidden when you get the mastery. Long term there'll likely be a way to get both masteries and combine them into a super ability, but I'm still finalizing some of the details so I'm not 100% sure how to handle the base ability yet since you might need it later.
Good to know I was just being blind with the ability thing.

moopdom

Apr 8, 2019
It is definitely harder - might have overshot a bit, idk. I'm gonna lower the damage a bit in 0.7. I didn't have much issue finishing it at 16, but especially if you're trying to fight all the hobs, it can be pretty challenging.

That said, yes, cheats are absolutely coming! I'm going to try to fit easy mode (3x xp/trust gained) in 0.7, idk if 0.7 or 0.8 will have refund stuff, and there'll likely be a full-on cheat menu later. I absolutely have no issue with people cheating, that's part of why I left it so moddable.

If you have Notepad++ or anything fancier than Notepad, you can just go to Dawn\game\dawncode\actors\monsters\arden_expanse and edit the hobs as desired; less hp, or change strengthGrowth from 1 to 0.75 to make the fighters get less strength each level, etc.
Thank you, I'll definitely look forward to an easy mode. I found the writing quite engaging but the RPG grind not so much.

Reactions: B2B2 and Cryswar

zeraligator

May 25, 2018
I just remembered that I had some questions about the turnorder of status effects and (de)buffs. From what I have seen it seems like one turn is counted every time the pc gets a turn, so things like one turn stuns sometimes don't seem to work because the enemy wasn't going to act on that turn anyways or because it already went before the effect was applied.

Cryswar

The Profound Dorkness
Game Developer
May 31, 2019
I just remembered that I had some questions about the turnorder of status effects and (de)buffs. From what I have seen it seems like one turn is counted every time the pc gets a turn, so things like one turn stuns sometimes don't seem to work because the enemy wasn't going to act on that turn anyways or because it already went before the effect was applied.
Everyone goes once within a turn, based on their initiative; if they share an initiative with someone else, the order they go in is random. If they're stunned, they waste their action that turn. If they move before a 1 turn stun, it wears off at the end of the turn. The player follows the same rule, you just get to pick your move at the start of the turn before anyone else, but you resolve your move like they do.

Thus, 1 turn stuns are only really useful if you have the same or higher speed as the enemy, as sort of a 'haha you lost your turn' thing. You could think of them more as interrupts. 2+ turn stuns will always take at least one turn away from the enemy.

The idea is that high initiative lets you stack Assassinate and avoid 1 turn debuffs, while low initiative gives much about twice the damage bonus from Revenge, but leaves you much more vulnerable to getting interrupted unless you gain ailment resist or the like. In the future, both Vit and Agi will have options to deal with statuses.

Reactions: Nevart

zeraligator

May 25, 2018
Everyone goes once within a turn, based on their initiative; if they share an initiative with someone else, the order they go in is random. If they're stunned, they waste their action that turn. If they move before a 1 turn stun, it wears off at the end of the turn. The player follows the same rule, you just get to pick your move at the start of the turn before anyone else, but you resolve your move like they do.

Thus, 1 turn stuns are only really useful if you have the same or higher speed as the enemy, as sort of a 'haha you lost your turn' thing. You could think of them more as interrupts. 2+ turn stuns will always take at least one turn away from the enemy.

The idea is that high initiative lets you stack Assassinate and avoid 1 turn debuffs, while low initiative gives much about twice the damage bonus from Revenge, but leaves you much more vulnerable to getting interrupted unless you gain ailment resist or the like. In the future, both Vit and Agi will have options to deal with statuses.
I have neither revenge nor assasinate so I can't say jack about that.

About the interrupt thing, in games like DnD there are moves specifically to interrupt enemy moves/actions but most status effects last until the end/start of the caster or targets turn. I would say it might be a good idea to specify that the one turn stuns can only interrupt an enemy's action.
Given that I am still playing a tank(in Divine Dawn, not the other dubble D), generally not a very high initiative archetype, it means that the one turn buffs/debuffs I started with were kind of useless half the time. I can understand wanting the stun as an interrupt but why should buffs be more effective when cast by high initiative 'casters'?

Cryswar

The Profound Dorkness
Game Developer
May 31, 2019
0.7 is out! Now that I have upgraded from Poltato internet to OK internet, I can do the uploads myself still takes like 40 minutes so the OP is already updated with links and changelog.

0.8 will be another ballbuster, with a new adventure, character, and mechanics, so I'm not sure what the release date will be. I'll aim for Tuesday as usual but make no promises lol.

I have neither revenge nor assasinate so I can't say jack about that.

About the interrupt thing, in games like DnD there are moves specifically to interrupt enemy moves/actions but most status effects last until the end/start of the caster or targets turn. I would say it might be a good idea to specify that the one turn stuns can only interrupt an enemy's action.
Given that I am still playing a tank(in Divine Dawn, not the other dubble D), generally not a very high initiative archetype, it means that the one turn buffs/debuffs I started with were kind of useless half the time. I can understand wanting the stun as an interrupt but why should buffs be more effective when cast by high initiative 'casters'?
Most enemies have the same default initiative as you (5), or less, so 1 turn CC is pretty good. It's just not super reliable unless you go a bit higher. The only time it's more-or-less useless is if you go for a Revenge build stacking -initiative, but then you have batshit damage multipliers so it's a tradeoff.

I'm not TOTALLY happy with how status cooldowns work right now but it probably won't be improved in the immediate future. Down the road a bit, I think it could be nice to move at least some of them to 'action' rather than 'turn' to avoid that confusion.

• Yay, new update!
Reactions: Nevart and B2B2

zeraligator

May 25, 2018
Most enemies have the same default initiative as you (5), or less, so 1 turn CC is pretty good. It's just not super reliable unless you go a bit higher. The only time it's more-or-less useless is if you go for a Revenge build stacking -initiative, but then you have batshit damage multipliers so it's a tradeoff.

I'm not TOTALLY happy with how status cooldowns work right now but it probably won't be improved in the immediate future. Down the road a bit, I think it could be nice to move at least some of them to 'action' rather than 'turn' to avoid that confusion.
I get that but(atleast to me) it wasn't very clear that it worked like that so in the mean time I had already taken the 'Counter' ability, lowering my initiative. I'm fine with the choice because I already have the 2 turn skills, it just seems like it might be good to give some more clarity in the descriptions of the skills. Something like the one turn ones working until the end of the current turn.

zeraligator

May 25, 2018
Also quickly ran into an inescapeble error(as in couldn't get past it).

Code:
I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
  File "game/dawncode/camp/camp_framework.rpy", line 37, in script call
    call screen camp_home
  File "game/dawncode/adventures/adventure_framework.rpy", line 54, in script call
    call adventure_randomizer
  File "game/dawncode/adventures/adventure_framework.rpy", line 74, in script call
    $ setupEncounter(enemy1=adventure_enemy_1, enemy2=adventure_enemy_2, enemy3=adventure_enemy_3, music=adventure_battle_music, levelScaling=adventure_level_scaling, levelBoost=adventure_level_boost, levelRandom=adventure_level_random, levelTarget=adventure_level_area)
  File "game/dawncode/combat.rpy", line 86, in script
    python:
  File "game/dawncode/combat.rpy", line 92, in <module>
    encounterList[initiativeIndex].abilityTarget = targetSelector(encounterList[initiativeIndex])
  File "game/dawncode/functions.rpy", line 563, in targetSelector
    sumThreat = sum(getTotalThreat(char) for char in targetList)
UnboundLocalError: local variable 'targetList' referenced before assignment

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
    call screen camp_home
  File "game/dawncode/adventures/adventure_framework.rpy", line 54, in script call
  File "game/dawncode/adventures/adventure_framework.rpy", line 74, in script call
    $ setupEncounter(enemy1=adventure_enemy_1, enemy2=adventure_enemy_2, enemy3=adventure_enemy_3, music=adventure_battle_music, levelScaling=adventure_level_scaling, levelBoost=adventure_level_boost, levelRandom=adventure_level_random, levelTarget=adventure_level_area)
    python:
  File "renpy/ast.py", line 922, in execute
    renpy.python.py_exec_bytecode(self.code.bytecode, self.hide, store=self.store)
  File "renpy/python.py", line 2218, in py_exec_bytecode
    exec(bytecode, globals, locals)
    encounterList[initiativeIndex].abilityTarget = targetSelector(encounterList[initiativeIndex])

Windows-10-10.0.19041
Ren'Py 7.4.4.1439
Divine Dawn 0.7

Reactions: Nevart

Cryswar

The Profound Dorkness
Game Developer
May 31, 2019
Also quickly ran into an inescapeble error(as in couldn't get past it).

Code:
I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
    call screen camp_home
    python:

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
    call screen camp_home
    python:
  File "renpy/ast.py", line 922, in execute
    renpy.python.py_exec_bytecode(self.code.bytecode, self.hide, store=self.store)
  File "renpy/python.py", line 2218, in py_exec_bytecode
    exec(bytecode, globals, locals)

Windows-10-10.0.19041
Ren'Py 7.4.4.1439
Divine Dawn 0.7
For clarity, is that a 0.6 (or earlier) save updated to 0.7 mid-battle?

Cryswar

The Profound Dorkness
Game Developer
May 31, 2019
Can you learn all 3 corruption magic as long you haven't progressed too far in any path's?
There are more types of corruption in the future, but to summarize; to a beginner level, yes, you can have both low level Aether and Nether magic without major issues. However, after a certain point you will have to decide which to pursue in order to get their higher tier magics. There will be a special way to do both Aether and Nether, but most corruptions will start destroying all others once they get high enough.

Loaded from camp.
Understood, thanks for clarifying. I'll look into it and see if I can replicate and solve, and thank you for sending the error log!

Last edited:
4.50 star(s) 37 Votes