Solak

Nov 22, 2017
The one thing that bugs me the most about combat is how you have several allies with you, yet only the one fights together with you. The others won't move a finger, even if you are to die.

I can get behind the duo format, but in that case the rest should be given an opportunity to do something. What comes to mind is either baton pass or support abilities. I'm fairly certain tagging out isn't an option with your vision of the game, so support abilities would likely be the way. For those, several ways to tackle them.

Could be like in Love of Magic, each character's support ability requires a certain amount of ticks to become available again after use (ticks which you accumulate through whatever means you decide upon: taking damage, dealing damage, end turn, etc... or any combination). And the stronger the bond, the more ticks you get (or the less ticks you need).

Could also work in a "summon" fashion. When summoned, the "summon" will take damage for either (or both?) character(s), however they'd have less hp (say half). They also could randomly use skills like normal. When "defeated", they'd jump back out of the fight and could then possibly slowly recover (can be a potential strategy for bosses with occasional strong moves, to sponge them off your 2 frontliners).

Yet another way if you don't mind RNG would be to give their ability a % chance to trigger every end turn, with the % growing higher with the bond level.
Or they could activate under certain circumstances (with a cd): character gets stunned => ability activates.

---
There are likely other ways to make the other characters a part of battles, but to me it's quite essential that they are. I just can't fathom Metatron (or Sam) sitting there, twidling her thumbs while the MC is getting shredded to pieces in front of her eyes. Really breaks the immersion. Last played the 0.5 version btw (waiting for the combat system, esp what I just typed about, to be fleshed out before coming back) so sorry if it's already been addressed.

Cryswar

The Profound Dorkness
Game Developer
May 31, 2019
The one thing that bugs me the most about combat is how you have several allies with you, yet only the one fights together with you. The others won't move a finger, even if you are to die.

I can get behind the duo format, but in that case the rest should be given an opportunity to do something. What comes to mind is either baton pass or support abilities. I'm fairly certain tagging out isn't an option with your vision of the game, so support abilities would likely be the way. For those, several ways to tackle them.

Could be like in Love of Magic, each character's support ability requires a certain amount of ticks to become available again after use (ticks which you accumulate through whatever means you decide upon: taking damage, dealing damage, end turn, etc... or any combination). And the stronger the bond, the more ticks you get (or the less ticks you need).

Could also work in a "summon" fashion. When summoned, the "summon" will take damage for either (or both?) character(s), however they'd have less hp (say half). They also could randomly use skills like normal. When "defeated", they'd jump back out of the fight and could then possibly slowly recover (can be a potential strategy for bosses with occasional strong moves, to sponge them off your 2 frontliners).

Yet another way if you don't mind RNG would be to give their ability a % chance to trigger every end turn, with the % growing higher with the bond level.
Or they could activate under certain circumstances (with a cd): character gets stunned => ability activates.

---
There are likely other ways to make the other characters a part of battles, but to me it's quite essential that they are. I just can't fathom Metatron (or Sam) sitting there, twidling her thumbs while the MC is getting shredded to pieces in front of her eyes. Really breaks the immersion. Last played the 0.5 version btw (waiting for the combat system, esp what I just typed about, to be fleshed out before coming back) so sorry if it's already been addressed.
The Expanse adventure events from 0.6 and the camp tutorial added in 0.7 touch on that, but for clarity, most of your allies are out scouting, exploring, or adventuring at the same time as you, just working on their own or in pairs - in particular, you can run into a variety of pair-ups in the Expanse. When it makes sense storywise for them to be there, there will be events like that, ex. in the temple Metatron provides fire support, vs other bosses or checkpoints you may get aid from others that are there.

The conceit, which I confess was not really portrayed worth shit by 0.5, is that when you go back to camp you can just be like 'yo, come adventure with me' np, but out and about you only have the one person with you to rely on. So it's less that Sam doesn't care about you getting wrecked, as that Sam is probably five miles away beating the shit out of some unfortunate while Sarah tries to convince her the wolf is already dead.

Especially as the game goes forward, and when the warp network opens up, it's very possible that some of them may be countries away if you didn't bring them along for that adventure. There's a lot of stuff that will be happening in the setting and it's simply not feasible to just have everyone in the main party go deal with it together every time.

Solak

Nov 22, 2017
The Expanse adventure events from 0.6 and the camp tutorial added in 0.7 touch on that, but for clarity, most of your allies are out scouting, exploring, or adventuring at the same time as you, just working on their own or in pairs - in particular, you can run into a variety of pair-ups in the Expanse. When it makes sense storywise for them to be there, there will be events like that, ex. in the temple Metatron provides fire support, vs other bosses or checkpoints you may get aid from others that are there.

The conceit, which I confess was not really portrayed worth shit by 0.5, is that when you go back to camp you can just be like 'yo, come adventure with me' np, but out and about you only have the one person with you to rely on. So it's less that Sam doesn't care about you getting wrecked, as that Sam is probably five miles away beating the shit out of some unfortunate while Sarah tries to convince her the wolf is already dead.

Especially as the game goes forward, and when the warp network opens up, it's very possible that some of them may be countries away if you didn't bring them along for that adventure. There's a lot of stuff that will be happening in the setting and it's simply not feasible to just have everyone in the main party go deal with it together every time.
All right, makes sense. I don't think I read anything touching on that in v0.5 but that definitely explains things.

Reactions: Cryswar

Cryswar

The Profound Dorkness
Game Developer
May 31, 2019
All right, makes sense. I don't think I read anything touching on that in v0.5 but that definitely explains things.
That was 100% my bad, poor communication. For what it's worth, I DO have a few future battles planned where there will be multiple partners around to swap in or do combat events, especially for larger-scale battles, and your ideas will actually be helpful for fleshing those out. But for most of the game, it's intended to be relatively intimate, yeah.

Reactions: Solak and Nevart

Cryswar

The Profound Dorkness
Game Developer
May 31, 2019
Just in case it's usefull, it kept giving that same error, no other ones.
Ok, finally nailed down the issue, which was... me updating from 0.7 to 0.7a this morning didn't take in Mega., despite mega claiming it did and taking the full time to upload it. lol. The google drive and anonfiles versions were correct. Mega should be fixed now, so if you update, that SHOULD completely scrub the issue you ran into. To be safe I'd try to avoid loading in the middle of a battle, but assuming this works, it should be safe in the future.

Cryswar

The Profound Dorkness
Game Developer
May 31, 2019
Really good game, but during fights i keep encountering this error

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Yup - actually just sorted out the problem a few minutes ago, the Mega upload got fucked up. Fixed now, so redownloading should solve it.

Sorry for the trouble, when Mega said that it had updated the file, I didn't realize it was straight up lying to me and hadn't actually changed a thing despite taking the entire normal upload time. So it was still stuck on the bugged 0.7 and not the fixed 0.7a I had uploaded.

Reactions: -Hex- and Nevart

vitkren

Jun 18, 2017
Quick question - 'Forest Expanse' is the end of story content, right? You can't get out of the forest in 0.7?

Reactions: Cryswar

Cryswar

The Profound Dorkness
Game Developer
May 31, 2019
Quick question - 'Forest Expanse' is the end of story content, right? You can't get out of the forest in 0.7?
Correct. 0.8 will take you most of the way to Badon, but I suspect it'll take until 1.0 to get there.

I wonder if there would be a better way to portray that ingame. Like... a window somewhere that tells you where current content ends. idk.

Another update! I am really going to enjoy this
Hopefully! Thanks for your kind words :)

zeraligator

May 25, 2018
Correct. 0.8 will take you most of the way to Badon, but I suspect it'll take until 1.0 to get there.

I wonder if there would be a better way to portray that ingame. Like... a window somewhere that tells you where current content ends. idk.
You could maybe use some kind of progress bar during adventures that shows progress towards reaching the next destination on which you could mark the end of current content.

Also, in regards to what Solak said, it might still make the characters you don't use in combat usefull if they just gave passive perks, possibly improving with the characters level or affection, thus incentivising players to spread the love around a bit.

When redownloading it still said 0.7 not 0.7a but it seems to run fine now.

Also, in the fight against the Hob Shaman, the option to counter the spell by attacking results in a line of dialogue that is missing the word 'spell'.
Same kind of thing with the last(?) line of the adventure encounter between Sarah and Celica, where it misses the word 'it' in the last sentence.

In the sparring fights it seems a bit to common that I just end up (near) endlessly spamming attacks while the opponent keeps spamming healing skills, do enemies even get MP counters?

Last edited:
Reactions: mert5252

Cryswar

The Profound Dorkness
Game Developer
May 31, 2019
You could maybe use some kind of progress bar during adventures that shows progress towards reaching the next destination on which you could mark the end of current content.

Also, in regards to what Solak said, it might still make the characters you don't use in combat usefull if they just gave passive perks, possibly improving with the characters level or affection, thus incentivising players to spread the love around a bit.

When redownloading it still said 0.7 not 0.7a but it seems to run fine now.

Also, in the fight against the Hob Shaman, the option to counter the spell by attacking results in a line of dialogue that is missing the word 'spell'.
Same kind of thing with the last(?) line of the adventure encounter between Sarah and Celica, where it misses the word 'it' in the last sentence.

In the sparring fights it seems a bit to common that I just end up (near) endlessly spamming attacks while the opponent keeps spamming healing skills, do enemies even get MP counters?
Once you get a bit further into trust/affection scenes, there will be more stuff like Metatron's training that gives you permanent bonuses, and their own little storylines where they want to go somewhere with you and do something, where you both get permanent bonuses for doing it. I just wanna get all the main stuff up and running before I start dedicating entire weeks to single-character-only content, seen enough games run into the trap of focusing on a single character to the exclusion of all else.

Allies and enemies all follow the exact same rules and are the same kind of entity, just enemies tend to have a bit lower offensive stats (usually 0.75 stat growth instead of 1 in their primary damage stat), so you could add a hob shaman to your party and they'd work OK. T1 spells only cost 1 mana and everyone gets back 1 mana a turn, so anyone with a 1 mana heal can spam it. I agree that spars can get pretty dumb if that happens though, but not sure how to fix it short of making them less likely to heal if not at low health. The AI improves with most updates, but... slowly. I'm still a pretty new programmer.

Thanks for the typo reports, I'll fix em later today.

<3

I think my reaction is fairly obvious on what this person has posted.

Although I am kind of bummed out that there isn't a single character art yet for any of the characters. But it is to be expected for every early access game that comes out.

I came from MGD and I hope you'll work well with your game! Good luck and don't get burnt out!
Yeah, I wish there was art too, but that shit is expensive and I want a consistent art style on top of that, so I'm trying to be careful about how I handle it. It will probably happen in batches (first char art, then some lewd art, then all lewd art), but admittedly it depends on how fast my own skills improve and/or how fast Patreon lets me actually fund it. And thank you for your kind words!

What I can say about this game! It's great so far! Hope it gets even better! And the humor in the game until now, I don't think it's annoying, it's... Idk, fresh? And normally I feel the humor a bad thing and forced, but here no! Keep the good work!
Glad you enjoyed the humor, and that you enjoyed the game overall so far! Humor is hard to get right so I'll try and keep improving with it.

Eminba

Dec 21, 2017
I keep getting this error during the Hob fight. I started a new game on 0.7 and i redownloaded the game after the comments on the previous error.

Code:
I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
  File "game/dawncode/camp/camp_framework.rpy", line 40, in script call
    call screen camp_home
    call screen camp_home
    call screen camp_home
    call screen camp_home
    call screen camp_home
    call screen camp_home
    call screen camp_home
    call screen camp_home
  File "game/dawncode/adventures/adventure_framework.rpy", line 66, in script call
    $ setupEncounter(enemy1=adventure_enemy_1, enemy2=adventure_enemy_2, enemy3=adventure_enemy_3, music=adventure_boss_music, levelScaling=adventure_level_scaling, levelBoost=adventure_level_boost, levelRandom=adventure_level_random, levelTarget=adventure_level_area, canRest=False)
  File "game/dawncode/combat.rpy", line 86, in script
    python:
  File "game/dawncode/combat.rpy", line 93, in <module>
    Action(encounterList[initiativeIndex])
  File "game/dawncode/functions.rpy", line 186, in Action
    i.curCharges += min(i["Value"], i.maxCharges - i.curCharges)
TypeError: 'Ability' object has no attribute '__getitem__'

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
    call screen camp_home
    call screen camp_home
    call screen camp_home
    call screen camp_home
    call screen camp_home
    call screen camp_home
    call screen camp_home
    call screen camp_home
  File "game/dawncode/adventures/adventure_framework.rpy", line 66, in script call
    $ setupEncounter(enemy1=adventure_enemy_1, enemy2=adventure_enemy_2, enemy3=adventure_enemy_3, music=adventure_boss_music, levelScaling=adventure_level_scaling, levelBoost=adventure_level_boost, levelRandom=adventure_level_random, levelTarget=adventure_level_area, canRest=False)
    python:
  File "renpy/ast.py", line 922, in execute
    renpy.python.py_exec_bytecode(self.code.bytecode, self.hide, store=self.store)
  File "renpy/python.py", line 2218, in py_exec_bytecode
    exec(bytecode, globals, locals)

Windows-10-10.0.19041
Ren'Py 7.4.4.1439
Divine Dawn 0.7
Thu May  6 23:41:16 2021

Reactions: Cryswar and Nevart

Cryswar

The Profound Dorkness
Game Developer
May 31, 2019
I keep getting this error during the Hob fight. I started a new game on 0.7 and i redownloaded the game after the comments on the previous error.

Code:
I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
    call screen camp_home
    call screen camp_home
    call screen camp_home
    call screen camp_home
    call screen camp_home
    call screen camp_home
    call screen camp_home
    call screen camp_home
    python:

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
    call screen camp_home
    call screen camp_home
    call screen camp_home
    call screen camp_home
    call screen camp_home
    call screen camp_home
    call screen camp_home
    call screen camp_home
    python:
  File "renpy/ast.py", line 922, in execute
    renpy.python.py_exec_bytecode(self.code.bytecode, self.hide, store=self.store)
  File "renpy/python.py", line 2218, in py_exec_bytecode
    exec(bytecode, globals, locals)

Windows-10-10.0.19041
Ren'Py 7.4.4.1439
Divine Dawn 0.7
Thu May  6 23:41:16 2021
I... THINK... I can figure that one out. Is Aspasia in your party? I'm guessing her charge restore skill is borked, will look into it. Thanks for the report!

trubyas

Jun 30, 2020
Love the game so far! I can feel this being another monster girl quest kinda game for me come for the porn stay for the awesome story/characters/etc cant wait for more updates!

Reactions: Fuicol and Cryswar
4.50 star(s) 37 Votes