Jun 13, 2021
jfc also did every cute one of Celica and Minitron a few months ago, and a meme of Ina a few weeks ago. Here's to hoping there's more!

No, 18d is the current version.
Well download android apk 0.18 download gave 0.17 when i check game app on my storage

Cryswar

The Profound Dorkness
Game Developer
May 31, 2019
Well download android apk 0.18 download gave 0.17 when i check game app on my storage
Does it say 0.18d at the bottom right of the main menu? Updating the version number of android requires a few extra steps and sometimes I forget it lol, but if it says 18d at the bottom right it should actually be 18d.

Nelari

Apr 21, 2021
On an unrelated note, I've been wondering whether it would be better to just let the MC be his own character because he feels fairly distinct and likeable. IMO, Self inserts are flavourless and overrated. I think it's more fun to see how a specific character can drastically vary in through their choices and outlook on life while still retaining core similarities.

Now, I don't wanna tell our Lord and Saviour Cryswar (may he live forever) how to write his own game, and I definitely don't wish to add to the fat backlog of art being comissioned for the game rn, just think it's worth considering.

Cryswar

The Profound Dorkness
Game Developer
May 31, 2019
On an unrelated note, I've been wondering whether it would be better to just let the MC be his own character because he feels fairly distinct and likeable. IMO, Self inserts are flavourless and overrated. I think it's more fun to see how a specific character can drastically vary in through their choices and outlook on life while still retaining core similarities.

Now, I don't wanna tell our Lord and Saviour Cryswar (may he live forever) how to write his own game, and I definitely don't wish to add to the fat backlog of art being comissioned for the game rn, just think it's worth considering.
No, that's a fair question, and something I've wondered about since the start of the game. This was my first time writing a non-clearly-defined character, much less first-person, and 'Astaroth' is definitely in a middle ground between self-insert and actual character (maybe 40% SI / 60% character?). I've never made a game before, just wrote short stories/RPd in the third person.

For Divine Dawn, I was aiming for something along the lines of Mass Effect's Shepherd (some clear characterization, but a lot of the moral decisions are player-made), though perhaps more of a Witcher Geralt approach would have been smarter? IDK if first vs third person matters, from either a self insert vs character standpoint, or a popularity standpoint.

If/when I eventually finish this game and move on to a sequel, I think I'd definitely go for more of a Witcher approach of having a fully unique MC (still with choices), though at that point maybe 3rd person would be smarter. But realistically, that's probably a few years off, assuming I get that far, so not gonna worry about the future stuff too much.

For this game... I kinda feel like it might be too late to completely change him up, but the more I get into the romance content, the more this guy is starting to feel like a character instead of a SI. For good or ill remains to be seen lol.

I'd love to get some feedback honestly, from you or anyone else reading this. Both on the SI vs characterization thing, as well as first vs third person.

Getting art for the MC is potentially in the cards, though I'd want at least some appearance customization so it hasn't been a major priority. Also expensive

Nelari

Apr 21, 2021
Thanks for the quick response!
Personally, I have no preference over first and third person because I don't bother projecting myself much unto characters anyway. I like the Shepard style characterization you've done thus far and I think feeling like a distinct character only adds to the romance routes. Different strokes for different cocks though, everyone's different.

Reactions: Cryswar

Cryswar

The Profound Dorkness
Game Developer
May 31, 2019
Weekly Update;

Seems like this is art week lol. Ina's art has been coming along super cute, and Severn enemies are getting filled out as well! We'll see how that syncs with release, and if there are any upcoming art surprises.

In terms of game progress that is... also art, every girl with art now has proper portraits as well, similar to Aspasia in 0.18. Really makes conversations more lively to be able to just glance left to see their expression instead of having to look up across the screen!

Beyond that, a bunch of ability/trait stuff, and I'm still trudging through Sam's stuff.

Kaftein

Nov 22, 2019
I've never heard of Black Souls, but upon googling it... shit, Leaf IS cute. I want to cherish and protect her.
I won't say anything, I won't say anything, I won't say anything...
But I will post the f95 link here! Enjoy, you can probably finish all the endings in the first game in about a single day of dedicated playing if you use a guide, which I recommend using at least once simply because of how easy it is to trigger flags and miss content. Part of the appeal, though--really adds to the atmosphere.
First game: https://f95zone.to/threads/blacksouls-final-eeny-meeny-miny-moe.29512/
Sequel: https://f95zone.to/threads/blacksouls-ii-v1-13-official-translation-eeny-meeny-miny-moe.51657/

zARRR

Forum Fanatic
Nov 6, 2020
I won't say anything, I won't say anything, I won't say anything...
But I will post the f95 link here! Enjoy, you can probably finish all the endings in the first game in about a single day of dedicated playing if you use a guide, which I recommend using at least once simply because of how easy it is to trigger flags and miss content. Part of the appeal, though--really adds to the atmosphere.
First game: https://f95zone.to/threads/blacksouls-final-eeny-meeny-miny-moe.29512/
Sequel: https://f95zone.to/threads/blacksouls-ii-v1-13-official-translation-eeny-meeny-miny-moe.51657/
I see you are a man of culture as well!
The black souls series uses the rpg maker engine in such magical way, it’s like playing a dark hentai fairytale, imo it’s a game that needs to be replayed a lot, especially the second, and a guide is almost mandatory a second time since you can lock yourself from the true ending in the first 10 minutes

Cryswar

The Profound Dorkness
Game Developer
May 31, 2019
Art week 2: Electric Artaloo: The Artening: Art Strikes Back

Ok I'm done. Anyways, jfc did an amazing job on Ina's art, very expressive and cute! With that done I can actually get rolling on Sahuagin content, though we'll see how much gets into this update. Kuril also getting some dope art, and I have a few other experiments cooking. Kinda want to see how they turn out before I start bragging about them though.

Content-wise, we're finally a good bit of the way through Sam stuff. Swear on me mum I didn't think it'd take this bloody long, I gotta seriously consider how to avoid falling into this trap again in the future. Also, I found a couple of Sam expressions I commissioned but never actually used, because I am clearly suffering from early-onset Alzheimer's, so... let's just say she has new expressions...?

Most characters now have unique camp themes and sparring battle themes, so you'll be subject to a bit less of the generic camp music. Will add to that in the future.

I'm aiming to do a beta in the last week of March and a proper public release in the first week of April, but we'll see how well that goes LOL.

If you're interested, Kuril sketches and Ina final art previews are both up on Patreon!

4.50 star(s) 37 Votes