Cryswar

The Profound Dorkness
Game Developer
May 31, 2019
As someone who usually avoids male-MC games, paticularly if they are bland 'bash&bang to glory and a bunch of girls', this game is a strong exception, absolutely loving the characters and humor (ashley's sass is divine), and the art is also nice.

For feedback, it feels odd that some stats such as vitality and agility read as only contributing an effect when equal to player level, while others give a small value each rank.
I get that its due to stuff like % mitigation being more powerful the more you have / having a flat limit of 100 so it cant match scaling like how the base damage from str does with increasing enemy health, but having say, a ratio where vitality equal to half player level would give half the mitigation of it being equal to player level, might work to give it value aside from being a primary stat.
So both 10vit 10level and 100vit 100 level would give the 30% mitigation, but 5vit 10 level and 70vit 140 level would give 15% mitigation, and 10vit 30 level might give 10% mitigation.
Unless it already works like that, and it might given I'm mostly going off the tooltips.
Could also have a 'minimum' % based on investment, so say, 10/20/40/80 points means you get at least 5/10/15/20% mitigation no matter your level.
idea of that is to avoid the negative feedback of your points in vitality/agility actually being less useful each time you level up without spending a 'tax' to keep them at the same value.

Damage feedback was covered, and it'd be handy to be able to mouse over status effects on enemies to see what they do, sometimes it wont work in adventure fights although it does work fine in camp sparring.

Healing spells can also feel a bit weak, it always seems like the hp restored is less than the damage taken by spending the turn to cast them (when against threatening/equal opponents), and cant use them to patch up after the fight is over, even 1 'empty' round after a win to spend a heal would be handy. (tho i guess that's balance related given how useful it would be and the rest/healing flask choices when adventuring).

There's also cases during sparring where once a companion gets low, they focus on healing rather than attacking, so even if one hit would finish me, they'll just try to recover endlessly as i steadily out-damage their healing rate for an easy win.
Apologies, I missed this post in my previous response.

I'm glad you're enjoying the game! That exact problem is what I was hoping to avoid, I always get annoyed when a game forces me to play a MC/insert that I don't like and the girls have no personality, so I wanted to try something different. Making the MC a partial insert was probably a mistake on my end, but eh, live and learn.

Vitality and Agility actually do already work on that ratio, idk how well it's communicated ingame. But if you're at level 10 with 5 vit, you get 15% mitigation (half of the 30% you'd get at 10 vit). Originally they just gave a flat 0.4% mitigation, but were completely worthless earlygame as a result, this system was an attempt to fix that.

Mousing over statuses runs into a Renpy issue where those tooltips don't work if you can't make a choice (I think), ex. they always work while you're selecting a move but not between turns. I have no idea how to fix that or if it can be fixed, but I'll try.

Healing magic is... admittedly in a tough-to-fix spot. If you're running tanky build, they can HILARIOUSLY outpace incoming damage and make you impossible to kill - I run a shield build with Sarah, and I don't even take damage. Making heal spells usable during rests or after battle makes sense at least, since they 'waste' mana. I think I could do that. I can also make them scale a little better, but unlike normal abilities they don't have to deal with defense/res/mitigation so they can be deceptively strong.

One thing I'd like to explore is making *some* heal magic instant cast as well, or more regen options, so you'd only 'waste' a turn on heals if you needed a big one - but I'm hesitant to fuck up the action economy too much lol. So please bear with me as I try to carefully fix it.

On the companion thing... honestly, related to the last subject; I could make heals stronger, but more of them have cooldown. So you aren't stuck chain-healing, and neither is your sparring partner, but using a heal feels better. IDK.

darkbladerion

Donor
Jul 17, 2017
Ah... yeah, I definitely appreciate the decency. I've had some pretty... pushy comments about pegging/futa in particular, but I don't want to let a few bad experiences ruin the idea of people talking about what they'd like to see. I try to make a point of being open to ideas in general, and that includes fetish requests (within reason).

You can pretty much unlock the footjob as soon as you unlock the camp, get to nighttime, and choose to sleep with Ashley; it's not affection-locked. Please, feel free to offer constructive criticism if you feel I missed the mark there, or say what worked well.

Yeah, it sounds like we're on a similar vibe. I personally really like thighjobs, which are... fairly similar IMO, those and handjobs? Intimacy can be expressed in all kinds of ways, and I ain't gonna judge people for their fetishes. I just prefer consensual, non-degrading stuff personally, so that's most of what I write.

Getting fucked silly by a horny tomboy is a mark of honor anyways.
Yeah, I know that some people can be annoyingly pushy about their fetishes, so I try not to sound like one of those. And strangely enough I personally like handjobs more than thighjobs, and BJs are great too(Though I don't like "vacuum face" that some people tend to put on art for those... it's a major turnoff)...

Anyway though, I started the game just now, though didn't get to the FJ yet. Currently at asking Metatron for things after Ashley randomly blurted out about taking her first time, a bit weird to mention it now since I picked her at the temple too XD, but I can already say I like Sam(I picked tomboy Sam obviously... I love her design, and hope there will be lewds with her too), Ashley(And not just because I know she will be the one with the FJ scene... though it certainly helps, since her personality shifts wildly between kinda interesting fun energetic type, and kinda annoying meme-line machine. I must say though that Sarah while her nice kinda shy girl personality doesn't quite grab me has a better taste in foot/legwear, exposed legs and toes are glorious! XD) and Metatron(Though for now I mostly got her looks to go by... but I get a bit of "defrosting the ice queen" potential from her which should be fun). And seeing the lighthearted tone in writing I can definitely see how a scene with a girl finding out she is too ticklish for foot worship but trying to keep a straight face would be fitting(Best candidates for that of those I've seen so far would probably be Female Sam or Ashley XD)

Other than that, I can give some technical feedback, namely I think someone already mentioned that it would be nice to have some kind of indicator for remaining enemy HP... or at least have it be an unlockable trait after you level up Insight a little for example(Maybe it is and I don't know yet of course!). And speaking of leveling up, it would be nice to have some way to undo the mistakes, since on the first screen where I could give points for stuff, I accidentally clicked to give max points I could to dexterity... and couldn't take away few of them afterwards because I didn't need that much(It made me develop tendency to save before most choices though to be able to undo screwups XD).

Reactions: Nelari and Cryswar

Cryswar

The Profound Dorkness
Game Developer
May 31, 2019
Yeah, I know that some people can be annoyingly pushy about their fetishes, so I try not to sound like one of those. And strangely enough I personally like handjobs more than thighjobs, and BJs are great too(Though I don't like "vacuum face" that some people tend to put on art for those... it's a major turnoff)...

Anyway though, I started the game just now, though didn't get to the FJ yet. Currently at asking Metatron for things after Ashley randomly blurted out about taking her first time, a bit weird to mention it now since I picked her at the temple too XD, but I can already say I like Sam(I picked tomboy Sam obviously... I love her design, and hope there will be lewds with her too), Ashley(And not just because I know she will be the one with the FJ scene... though it certainly helps, since her personality shifts wildly between kinda interesting fun energetic type, and kinda annoying meme-line machine. I must say though that Sarah while her nice kinda shy girl personality doesn't quite grab me has a better taste in foot/legwear, exposed legs and toes are glorious! XD) and Metatron(Though for now I mostly got her looks to go by... but I get a bit of "defrosting the ice queen" potential from her which should be fun). And seeing the lighthearted tone in writing I can definitely see how a scene with a girl finding out she is too ticklish for foot worship but trying to keep a straight face would be fitting(Best candidates for that of those I've seen so far would probably be Female Sam or Ashley XD)

Other than that, I can give some technical feedback, namely I think someone already mentioned that it would be nice to have some kind of indicator for remaining enemy HP... or at least have it be an unlockable trait after you level up Insight a little for example(Maybe it is and I don't know yet of course!). And speaking of leveling up, it would be nice to have some way to undo the mistakes, since on the first screen where I could give points for stuff, I accidentally clicked to give max points I could to dexterity... and couldn't take away few of them afterwards because I didn't need that much(It made me develop tendency to save before most choices though to be able to undo screwups XD).
Yeah, I don't like the vacuum face either, but otherwise, BJs are... amazing. Sarah is the queen of those for sure, she has the most, the longest, and the most intense. Especially the one that unlocks at 8 affection... hoo buddy. I'm proud of that. She just hides the crazy better than some.

Sam will hopefully be getting lewds in 1-2 updates, she got most of her romance setup in 0.19 actually. I love her, she's a cutie, and her romance has a surprisingly mature air to it given how much of a doofus she can be. Curious to hear how development changes the girls for you.

On the technical feedback... yeah, HP needs much better feedback. I'm gonna try some preliminary fixes for .20, but there's a lot of work to do with the battle UI in general. I have some plans going in the background, but no real ETA on when they'll be finished beyond 'hopefully within the next few months.'

You actually can undo mistakes! If you right-click, along with being able to see all your stats and stuff, there's a Respec tab that lets you respec any stat, trait, ability, or mastery choices. It's not immediately feasible to build that into 'oops I clicked too many times on that stat' but might be in the future, it'd be a nice feature at least.

Reactions: darkbladerion

Cryswar

The Profound Dorkness
Game Developer
May 31, 2019
sfsfsf3332 The opening is admittedly the weakest part of the game, and will eventually get rewritten. The temple and subsequent home sections are a better representation of the game's writing.

If you aren't feeling it by the end of the temple the game may simply not be for you, but if you were just not fond of the Sam cringe then I can definitely say it improves.

Reactions: zARRR

Duke Greene

Feb 6, 2018
Gotta admit the opening made me regret not making Sam a dude :HideThePain:

That being said none of the girls is particularly appealing to me at the moment, except maybe Ashley.

Quintilus

Engaged Member
Aug 8, 2020
If you can't tell, I had to learn python for this game, my mastery is still bit... questionable lmao. To this day I keep defaulting to iterating through lists forwards while removing stuff, then getting confused about why it runs into bugs. I am not a clever bear.
If you would have any problems with code just call me....
Or if you just want to talk, call me...
Call me, please...

• Haha
Reactions: zARRR and Cryswar

Cryswar

The Profound Dorkness
Game Developer
May 31, 2019
Yeeeee, I want see only high quality cringe in game (y) (y) (y) (y)
Weapons-grade, baby. Ashley will dab while Sam calls everything sus, Sarah calls you her little pogchamp, and Celica unveils her manifesto.

...To be honest, I think Ashley would actually dab. The rest, idk. You could probably talk Sarah into calling you her little pogchamp eventually.

If you would have any problems with code just call me....
Or if you just want to talk, call me...
Call me, please...
Most of my code sperging happens on discord, and if you're lucky(?) enough to catch me devstreaming code you can usually see all my stupid mistakes in real-time. But I do enjoy random chats as well!

• Haha
Reactions: Nelari and zARRR

Quintilus

Engaged Member
Aug 8, 2020
Most of my code sperging happens on discord, and if you're lucky(?) enough to catch me devstreaming code you can usually see all my stupid mistakes in real-time. But I do enjoy random chats as well!
Im not ready for this kind of relations.
Mostly because
a) discord is an instant message system, where old (read as 'more than two minutes old') messages are buried under a new ones, i.e. its very hard to keep tracking of discussions in general. Forums, like this one, still exists because of it.
b) I dont like streams. Or rather I dont understand the purpose of it. Other peoples watch you doing stuff....aaaaaand.....what? Wow, Im a superstar???????

Does not meant I wouldnt join discord, just dont expect much of help from me there.

Cryswar

The Profound Dorkness
Game Developer
May 31, 2019
Im not ready for this kind of relations.
Mostly because
a) discord is an instant message system, where old (read as 'more than two minutes old') messages are buried under a new ones, i.e. its very hard to keep tracking of discussions in general. Forums, like this one, still exists because of it.
b) I dont like streams. Or rather I dont understand the purpose of it. Other peoples watch you doing stuff....aaaaaand.....what? Wow, Im a superstar???????

Does not meant I wouldnt join discord, just dont expect much of help from me there.
Haha, forums are great for many things. They're pretty poor for rapid back-and-forth communication, but great for storing communication and longer-form discussions that tend to fall apart on Discord. One of the reasons I like f95 is that I've always preferred forums over Reddit/Twitter or similar; I wish more people liked them as much as we do.

On the streams... I mostly do them just because it keeps me from getting distracted, and therefore means better progress. I also like doing them because it shows what I'm doing each day. Others seem to like watching. It's just an opportunity to see the game grow in real time, and potentially give feedback on stuff as I implement them.

zARRR

Forum Fanatic
Nov 6, 2020
Haha, forums are great for many things. They're pretty poor for rapid back-and-forth communication, but great for storing communication and longer-form discussions that tend to fall apart on Discord. One of the reasons I like f95 is that I've always preferred forums over Reddit/Twitter or similar; I wish more people liked them as much as we do.

On the streams... I mostly do them just because it keeps me from getting distracted, and therefore means better progress. I also like doing them because it shows what I'm doing each day. Others seem to like watching. It's just an opportunity to see the game grow in real time, and potentially give feedback on stuff as I implement them.
I must say I would love to see ya streaming, but ain’t really a guy for streams, do you have interesting highlights tho?

• Red Heart
Reactions: Cryswar

Cryswar

The Profound Dorkness
Game Developer
May 31, 2019
I must say I would love to see ya streaming, but ain’t really a guy for streams, do you have interesting highlights tho?
Admittedly I've only streamed on Discord so far. Given how... limited it is in functionality, I'll likely make the jump to Youtube (for SFW stuff) at some point during this update cycle, or maybe Picarto, idk. The stream is mostly just development content and a bit of chat though, so I wouldn't expect any crazy highlights, I'm not Gawr Gura lol.

Reactions: zARRR

Kan'u Unchou

Jul 14, 2021
Hey, I just started playing your game after seeing the cute 2D art for it and have reached up to the space station part (after third on the chain at the very start). I saw your note and thought I'd drop by and share what I feel could be some improvements if you find them useful.

Firstly, the narration seems quite heavy with much lesser dialogue, so maybe some of the narration can be expressed as dialogues. Like for example something like 'they both never had fought a battle aside from mock battles in training and they could feel tremors break out all over their body' can be expressed as- sam: "I can't stop my arms from shaking, this is nothing like training." I Have made no attempts here to keep the personality intact and just giving a somewhat low effort example of my point. The narration also feels too much considering the fact that there aren't that many sound effects or BGM tracks to drive home the feelings that you'd want to express using the narration. There aren't as many visual aids accompanying what is being decribed too (like a striking door with a dragon seal when describing a striking door with one), so it feels a little excessive. The narration falls flat in expressing the feelings in this visual novel medium. That kind of narration would have worked in a light or web novel to an extent.

Secondly, the messages that load per box are quite long and have multiples lines to them with each line having more words than the average visual novel.What this leads to is a tedious reading experience when coupled with the high amount of narration. It is exacerbated by the fact that the description you can create when you allow yourself to have so many lines can be long and tedious blocks of runaway description. When the lines you are allowed to express that in are more limited, it means you break it into two different wholes that don't fluidly carry on and seem like a single tedious block of description. The text box having fewer lines and less words in each line can make the reading far less tedious considering the work is for a larger casual audience. That would make the work have a more vernacular feel.

Thirdly, the excessive banter seemed a little bit unnecesary to me personally and might take away from fleshing out the character. It also felt unnaturally forced as a part of casual conversation and could be a bit problematic for immersion. This in tandem with the already heavy narration in place of dialogues. Banter seems to be driving the plot forward in lots of places which seems to be done for comedic purposes, but it wouldn't work unless in the interval between banters there is significant normal conversation. The continuous banter gag style works when the main character points out the issues with all the weird things the others are doing in a more surprised sort of way with sarcasm and insults only occasional. There should be a theatrical display of rationality along with that from the main character. A good example is the "straight man" type of comedy in anime.

Lastly, it might be useful to increase the size of the text font a little bit, though i don't know if it's an issue or it's because having so many lines made me feel that way. Also, you could allow for the text to appear on the screen like it's being printed as is often done in visual novels. It just might be my personal preference. Again, I'm quite unsure about this whole last point, but still, maybe it might be useful?

Last edited:

Asa1984

Jun 8, 2021
Hi there. Just started the game, looks really good. I'm playing as an Water Swordsman. I noticed the stat Libido when pressing right click (in main menu)... but it doesn't show during level ups (I'm at day 3, doing some grinding...). So, if libido isn't included, how do Sex battles work?
Is Libido as stat kicking in later in game?

TheeSonus

Mar 30, 2020
Hi there. Just started the game, looks really good. I'm playing as an Water Swordsman. I noticed the stat Libido when pressing right click (in main menu)... but it doesn't show during level ups (I'm at day 3, doing some grinding...). So, if libido isn't included, how do Sex battles work?
I'm pretty sure Libido used to be a thing you could increase but it got taken off the stats page for uh... some reason I can't remember. Probably it being generally useless at the moment.

Quintilus

Engaged Member
Aug 8, 2020
I'm pretty sure Libido used to be a thing you could increase but it got taken off the stats page for uh... some reason I can't remember. Probably it being generally useless at the moment.
It was removed because its mere presence make stats....sticky.

• Haha

Asa1984

Jun 8, 2021
ok... thx for reply. hmmmm... currently Sam is teaching me fire magic, I guess after some trust boost Ill be able to learn other magics from Celica, Metatron and Sarah... but who will teach me sword and shield/spear/daggers?
Tried some sex battles with Ashley - mostly she won... is there a point to having sex battle in camp? Is it a training for MC for future sex battles against enemies? or just fun aspect of game- I havent noticed gaining any XP for wining against Ash

Last edited:

Cryswar

The Profound Dorkness
Game Developer
May 31, 2019
Hey, I just started playing your game after seeing the cute 2D art for it and have reached up to the space station part (after third on the chain at the very start). I saw your note and thought I'd drop by and share what I feel could be some improvements if you find them useful.

Firstly, the narration seems quite heavy with much lesser dialogue, so maybe some of the narration can be expressed as dialogues. Like for example something like 'they both never had fought a battle aside from mock battles in training and they could feel tremors break out all over their body' can be expressed as- sam: "I can't stop my arms from shaking, this is nothing like training." I Have made no attempts here to keep the personality intact and just giving a somewhat low effort example of my point. The narration also feels too much considering the fact that there aren't that many sound effects or BGM tracks to drive home the feelings that you'd want to express using the narration. There aren't as many visual aids accompanying what is being decribed too (like a striking door with a dragon seal when describing a striking door with one), so it feels a little excessive. The narration falls flat in expressing the feelings in this visual novel medium. That kind of narration would have worked in a light or web novel to an extent.

Secondly, the messages that load per box are quite long and have multiples lines to them with each line having more words than the average visual novel.What this leads to is a tedious reading experience when coupled with the high amount of narration. It is exacerbated by the fact that the description you can create when you allow yourself to have so many lines can be long and tedious blocks of runaway description. When the lines you are allowed to express that in are more limited, it means you break it into two different wholes that don't fluidly carry on and seem like a single tedious block of description. The text box having fewer lines and less words in each line can make the reading far less tedious considering the work is for a larger casual audience. That would make the work have a more vernacular feel.

Thirdly, the excessive banter seemed a little bit unnecesary to me personally and might take away from fleshing out the character. It also felt unnaturally forced as a part of casual conversation and could be a bit problematic for immersion. This in tandem with the already heavy narration in place of dialogues. Banter seems to be driving the plot forward in lots of places which seems to be done for comedic purposes, but it wouldn't work unless in the interval between banters there is significant normal conversation. The continuous banter gag style works when the main character points out the issues with all the weird things the others are doing in a more surprised sort of way with sarcasm and insults only occasional. There should be a theatrical display of rationality along with that from the main character. A good example is the "straight man" type of comedy in anime.

Lastly, it might be useful to increase the size of the text font a little bit, though i don't know if it's an issue or it's because having so many lines made me feel that way. Also, you could allow for the text to appear on the screen like it's being printed as is often done in visual novels. It just might be my personal preference. Again, I'm quite unsure about this whole last point, but still, maybe it might be useful?
Thank you for the detailed constructive criticism! To briefly summarize some responses;
  • More sound effects/BGM swapping at the start is a great idea. I actually just recently played a friend's game, who does a great job of that, and it helped me realize how... lacking I've been in that regard.
  • Text display (also linked to your last point) is something I can improve on. If I go too short per-line, people complain it's not all one line, though...
  • The banter is a relic of my not knowing how to start the game, and not accurate for the majority of the content. I'll freely admit the opening is mediocre at best, and probably holding the game back quite a bit. It dies down a bit in the temple and mostly fucks off afterward. At some point, I will rewrite the opening (similar plot points, less cringy).
  • I can mess with font size a bit, idk how well that will go, but I like the idea of the text printing across the screen. As long as it's not too slow, that could be fun. I'll experiment with that at some point as well.

As others noted, libido was originally one of the core stats to make more of a 'horny bastard' playstyle possible. It wasn't really fun to have to waste stats on a pointless stat for sexy stuff though, so it got removed, you can still be a horny bastard, and the Libido will come back down the road as something you increase via sex battles rather than wasting stat points.

ok... thx for reply. hmmmm... currently Sam is teaching me fire magic, I guess after some trust boost Ill be able to learn other magics from Celica, Metatron and Sarah... but who will teach me sword and shield/spear/daggers?
Right now, no one. Soon (hopefully this coming update) you'll be able to pick up most basic weapon types by yourself and switch between weapons, as well as adding some more.

Duke Greene

Feb 6, 2018
Is there plans to have a magic type associated to Abyssal Corruption? I'm just curious how it would differ from Nether in terms of theme and atmosphere.

Reactions: Nelari and Cryswar

Cryswar

The Profound Dorkness
Game Developer
May 31, 2019
Is there plans to have a magic type associated to Abyssal Corruption? I'm just curious how it would differ from Nether in terms of theme and atmosphere.
In the distant future, potentially~

There are a lot of spoilerey plot things I'd love to get to, though I'm not sure exactly how some bits of that progression will go.

4.50 star(s) 37 Votes