Cryswar

The Profound Dorkness
Game Developer
May 31, 2019
CRYSWAR NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

I NEED MORE WAIFUPOCALYPSE!!!!!!!
That's very flattering, until Pug hit me up last night I had kinda figured no one remembered me or Waifupocalypse after so long! So this has been an unexpected but pleasant surprise. MGD had a fantastic community I was proud to be a part of, hope it's still as I remember it.

That said, I will be up front with you, I don't intend to return to MGD modding. Some of my original characters from Waifupocalypse have been rebooted here (hopefully better, lol), though for obvious reasons I would not in any form continue mod content for Mika, Trisha, Lillian, etc. since they aren't my characters to use. And no obvious ripoffs either, lol.

I think it might be better to give taunt a split path of maybe either giving the player a defense buff or their party an offense buff. The point of taunt is to draw the attention of the enemies so making the main aspect of a skill work better seems like a weird path to(potentially) be locked out of.
Good to know that you managed to find the problem with Sarah's AI, I was starting to think I might have just imagined it.
Ironically, an offensive taunt was a t2 skill I was planning, though I like the defense buff idea - I had been thinking of another new skill, Aegis, for that, but it could maybe be an option for the basic Taunt, idk. The idea for Taunt specifically was that a 6 turn duration would let you waste less turns keeping it up, vs buffing it another 100 threat to make it a 75% chance of getting hit; enemy damage will certainly ramp up in the future so higher is better.

I haven't decided yet whether there will be full on evolution chains or just a one-off improvement. That'll probably depend on how the system launch goes and how people feel about it.

RodolFaso

Aug 4, 2017
I really enjoyed this beginning of the game, the story is really entertaining and in terms of playability, the difficulty accompanies the events very well. I loved the characters, when Ashley and Sarah appear the rhythm of the game becomes much more pleasant.
I hope that in the future there will be scenes in which the protagonist can spend quality time with Metatron, without abominations to interrupt them.

Cryswar

The Profound Dorkness
Game Developer
May 31, 2019
I really enjoyed this beginning of the game, the story is really entertaining and in terms of playability, the difficulty accompanies the events very well. I loved the characters, when Ashley and Sarah appear the rhythm of the game becomes much more pleasant.
I hope that in the future there will be scenes in which the protagonist can spend quality time with Metatron, without abominations to interrupt them.
I'm glad you enjoyed! Difficulty is definitely a difficult balance, good to hear that worked out alright.

Don't worry, there will be plenty of Metatron soon, in 0.3 and beyond!

Chaika-chan

Sep 22, 2018
Wasn't too sure at first, but definitely dig this so far, and looking for more. It would be nice to eventually get some at least static sprites a la Monster Girl Dreams just to visualize the characters a little more and spice up the screen some, but everything seems well fleshed out, and I've connected with the various characters much more than most games at this point, so you're doing something right. (y)

Reactions: Cryswar

Cryswar

The Profound Dorkness
Game Developer
May 31, 2019
Wasn't too sure at first, but definitely dig this so far, and looking for more. It would be nice to eventually get some at least static sprites a la Monster Girl Dreams just to visualize the characters a little more and spice up the screen some, but everything seems well fleshed out, and I've connected with the various characters much more than most games at this point, so you're doing something right. (y)
Full on art is well out of my budget right now, but I've got a few ideas. Honestly, the UI as a whole could use a LOT of work admittedly, so it will evolve over time.

I'm glad you're enjoying it so far, the game lives and dies on character connections so it's good to know that's working out! If I can ask, was there a particular reason you weren't sure at first? Like, was there some shitty writing or too much exposition or anything in particular I could improve?

Chaika-chan

Sep 22, 2018
Full on art is well out of my budget right now, but I've got a few ideas. Honestly, the UI as a whole could use a LOT of work admittedly, so it will evolve over time.

I'm glad you're enjoying it so far, the game lives and dies on character connections so it's good to know that's working out! If I can ask, was there a particular reason you weren't sure at first? Like, was there some shitty writing or too much exposition or anything in particular I could improve?
Yeah, the focus is obviously text, which tbh, I've played many games with less visuals. It's just nice to see something for visual representation sometimes even if it's a static cg since a picture is worth a thousand words and whatnot, especially for vague personalities. Plus it's not an html game, and the backgrounds and sound are already there so it's like 3/4 of the way to visual novel status. xD

I think the not sure comes from years and thousands of hentai fantasy setting games and even anime that have me a bit burnt. The whole oh, here's the random hero with his kooky friend starting off on their starter quest with boars before their grand adventures is so commonplace, I personally need to find something to hook me more which turned out to be the sudden shift to 'space' and the mystery of what was going on in the chamber. Sam was okay to me; she had more spunk and character than some, and the personality building decisions/paths gave me some hope, but it also sort of looked like we were narrowing down the path of childhood friend tension/sexing slice of life as the main focus, while on an adventure through the country with some side girls to spice things up with some drama here and there. Which... on it's own might have lost me, but I'm probably more jaded/fatigued from the cliches than most, and it's an initial release in a space where we're all used to most projects falling apart anyway. To be fair, I skimmed through most of the dialogue quickly until the portal when things got interesting and it really dragged me in.
TLDR; I don't think it's the exposition or shitty writing, mostly my personal apathy to the repetitive cliches I've experienced time and again, so take my response with a generous cup of salt. It just took a little bit to get to the hook since it didn't strike me right away.

Cryswar

The Profound Dorkness
Game Developer
May 31, 2019
I think the not sure comes from years and thousands of hentai fantasy setting games and even anime that have me a bit burnt. The whole oh, here's the random hero with his kooky friend starting off on their starter quest with boars before their grand adventures is so commonplace, I personally need to find something to hook me more which turned out to be the sudden shift to 'space' and the mystery of what was going on in the chamber. Sam was okay to me; she had more spunk and character than some, and the personality building decisions/paths gave me some hope, but it also sort of looked like we were narrowing down the path of childhood friend tension/sexing slice of life as the main focus, while on an adventure through the country with some side girls to spice things up with some drama here and there. Which... on it's own might have lost me, but I'm probably more jaded/fatigued from the cliches than most, and it's an initial release in a space where we're all used to most projects falling apart anyway. To be fair, I skimmed through most of the dialogue quickly until the portal when things got interesting and it really dragged me in.
TLDR; I don't think it's the exposition or shitty writing, mostly my personal apathy to the repetitive cliches I've experienced time and again, so take my response with a generous cup of salt. It just took a little bit to get to the hook since it didn't strike me right away.
No worries, that's very interesting, and potentially helpful concrit! You're right, it does start off pretty trope-ish. The idea was that it's a bit of a slow burn start; two dumbasses raised on stories of heroes, trying to apply it to a bit of casual derring-do, and everything just going weird as fuck from there. Kind of a mix of the tropes played straight, and trying to subvert them a bit.

Unfortunately, it was also the first bit of the game I wrote, and I think objectively the worst. I can't give up on doing NEW content just to completely rewrite it, but I think it is something I need to go back and revisit over time to improve, since it's the first exposure most people get to the game.

Anyways - not something I can fix in 0.3 - but something to keep in mind. Thank you very much for sharing your detailed thoughts, I really appreciate it!

Kaftein

Nov 22, 2019
Heck of a first start, definitely looking forward to more. The F/GO reference to top it all off is a classy choice. I will say that reading about Metatron's fractals and hypertoruses and whatnot when you first meet her dragged on a bit longer than was really necessary, but beyond that it was more than fine.

Cryswar

The Profound Dorkness
Game Developer
May 31, 2019
Heck of a first start, definitely looking forward to more. The F/GO reference to top it all off is a classy choice. I will say that reading about Metatron's fractals and hypertoruses and whatnot when you first meet her dragged on a bit longer than was really necessary, but beyond that it was more than fine.
Yeah... I kinda worried that went on a bit too long. Wanted to drive home the Old Testament vibes, but may have gone a bit too far down the purple prose pit. I appreciate the honest criticism.

0.3 should be out tomorrow! Or, well, later today, fuck it's already past midnight.

Reactions: Animalsfan5698

Cryswar

The Profound Dorkness
Game Developer
May 31, 2019
0.3 update released on time! Major changes;
  • ~20k words added, mixture of conversations, lore, and shenanigans.
  • Finishes off dinner, night, and morning content.
  • 2.5 new H-scenes.
  • 5 and 10-stat traits filled out (mostly).
  • Gallery added.
  • 27 trillion stupid bugs fixed. There's always more.
  • Sarah, Ashley, and Metatron now have semi-official character themes, pending feedback.
0.4 will be in ~2 weeks, hopefully March 22nd. It will include the next party member, the Mastery system, and the first randomized adventure, though the last one may not be fully polished until 0.5 depending on how much of a trainwreck it is.

As always, I post daily and weekly updates on the if you want to follow development and see more in depth descriptions of what I did each day, or just argue about best girl.

------

My upload speed is garbage so I'm relying on mods to update OP, it takes me several minutes to upload to 1 server much less 7.

PC/Linux:
Mac

also, animalsfan, I think I found and fixed the issue you ran into back on page 1. Hopefully. Maybe. >_>

------

This is the third timely release counting the leadup to the first one, or second post-launch update if you prefer. Since I've hit my release date goals and (roughly) content goals for each, I feel much more confident today in saying to myself and others that I am committed to the game and can actually deliver on my goals.

As such, I started a Patreon that I'll link in the OP. To be 100% clear, the game will remain free; the patreon is mostly for supporting my work and voting on some update content.

If you would rather wait longer to be sure I'm not just a one-month-chump, that's fine, I probably would too personally. I just wanted to get it started now in hopes of getting a little closer to commissioning content to improve the game as we slowly work towards something I'd be more willing to call a proper 1.0, at which point I'm aiming to have about 4-5 hours of content. ....And then hopefully another 2-3 years of development to actually tell the rest of the story. We in this shit for the long haul.

???????????

Jun 12, 2018
Okay I usually play renpy games on joiplay so I'm not sure if that's why there is an error. I can switch to PC but I would like to know if I can use joiplay.

Deleted member 1571565

Aug 7, 2019
Random: I thought I read somewhere we can guide/change our class/fighting style, and I think at some point I saw martial arts is an option? Can we actually play make a martial arts/barehanded kind of character? Since I started/don't know much yet how things are going to go, it doesn't seem like thats the case (was forced to pick a weapon).

Last edited:

Cryswar

The Profound Dorkness
Game Developer
May 31, 2019
Okay I usually play renpy games on joiplay so I'm not sure if that's why there is an error. I can switch to PC but I would like to know if I can use joiplay.
Long story short, for modding/file stuff the game uses some Python that I suspect currently makes it pretty Android unfriendly. I am very much hoping to improve that, but I am pretty new to coding in general and know very little about android architecture so it may take some time. I apologize for the trouble.

Random: I thought I read somewhere we can guide/change our class/fighting style, and I think at somepoint I saw martial arts is an option? Can we actually play make a martial arts/barehanded kind of character?
Not yet, but I have a bunch of martial arts styles planned when the NPCs for them are in. Tentatively speaking it'll probably be in the mountain areas post-Braedon, so a few months out. But I love punching stuff in games, so from a very biased perspective I can confirm it will definitely happen!

Changing or adding to your weapon/magic options will likely be rolled out piecemeal over the next 3 updates along the way to Braedon, kinda a WIP. But yes, you will be able to go from starting with a sword to a sword+aether 'paladin' or transition to a fire mage or martial artist, it mostly just comes down to your stats and finding someone who can teach you.

Deleted member 1571565

Aug 7, 2019
Long story short, for modding/file stuff the game uses some Python that I suspect currently makes it pretty Android unfriendly. I am very much hoping to improve that, but I am pretty new to coding in general and know very little about android architecture so it may take some time. I apologize for the trouble.

Not yet, but I have a bunch of martial arts styles planned when the NPCs for them are in. Tentatively speaking it'll probably be in the mountain areas post-Braedon, so a few months out. But I love punching stuff in games, so from a very biased perspective I can confirm it will definitely happen!

Changing or adding to your weapon/magic options will likely be rolled out piecemeal over the next 3 updates along the way to Braedon, kinda a WIP. But yes, you will be able to go from starting with a sword to a sword+aether 'paladin' or transition to a fire mage or martial artist, it mostly just comes down to your stats and finding someone who can teach you.
I picked a dagger to keep somewhat agile based, and hope that goes well with martial arts ^_^ I absolutely adore martial arts/monk classes things since I am a huge fan of Wuxia/Xianxia novels and just generally love those kinds of themes. Its a shame its far away, but at least its coming, so thats awesome ^_^ That alone is probably a good reason to support you

Cryswar

The Profound Dorkness
Game Developer
May 31, 2019
I picked a dagger to keep somewhat agile based, and hope that goes well with martial arts ^_^ I absolutely adore martial arts/monk classes things since I am a huge fan of Wuxia/Xianxia novels and just generally love those kinds of themes. Its a shame its far away, but at least its coming, so thats awesome ^_^ That alone is probably a good reason to support you
Absolutely - some martial arts will be AGI/DEX or AGI/STR dual scaling so it should be pretty easy to be go from dagger to those. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a huge nerd for martial arts, and later on I'd looove to do some more Avatar/Fairy Tail style elemental martial arts stuff. I don't know a whole lot about Wuxia/Xianxia stuff, but it sounds like I've been missing out haha. My most experience with the really esoteric ones would probably be Sidereal martial arts styles in Exalted.

And thank you very much! I am really liking this biweekly update thing so hopefully not actually too far out, I'm almost as excited as you to be a muscle wizard LOL.

TheRug

Apr 23, 2019
Happened upon this just now and I must know before downloading, are CGs created for the monsters, allies, etc as yet?
I am a fan of Monster Girl Dreams so I am actually looking forward to this one.

Deleted member 1571565

Aug 7, 2019
Happened upon this just now and I must know before downloading, are CGs created for the monsters, allies, etc as yet?
I am a fan of Monster Girl Dreams so I am actually looking forward to this one.
No art or anything, just text box descriptions. Its well written though and the gameplay isn't bad, if the exposition is a tad long at some parts. I think I read with more support art can come someday maybe, but atm, there doesn't appear to be any. Backgrounds look good though

Reactions: TheRug and Cryswar

Cryswar

The Profound Dorkness
Game Developer
May 31, 2019
Yup, Ravenleaf is right. I'm HOPING to start remedying that sooner than later, depends on a lot of factors, some of them out of my control, but we're not there yet.

Reactions: Animalsfan5698
4.50 star(s) 37 Votes