Cryswar

The Profound Dorkness
Game Developer
May 31, 2019
I'm on .24. No fancy new armors for me.
Gotcha. I just looked over the traits ingame, and they don't cost attunement. I feel like I vaguely remember fixing that for 0.25. Bugfixes tend to blur together a bit.

Can't really check how it worked in 0.24 so uhh try extracting this one and overwriting the existing file, located in game\dawncode\traits\unlockTraits, should fix it?

Reactions: Blaq Mask

Darkenedlight

Apr 25, 2018
I'm just really getting started on this, but already pretty hooked.

That said, I'm trying to figure out what's required to add elemental magics to a short bow, akin to the earlier mentioned in this topic Dragon's Dogma Mystic Archer. Started ranger, stat dumped into magic (with a little respeccing that I'll start a custom class for once I see what mix works) and had Celica make me a wind initiate. Do I need to progress further, or am I just missing the obvious here?

I'll definitely be doing multiple runs with different combat options/choices made to experience all this has to offer. Games like this are a goldmine for me to mess with.

Reactions: Cryswar

Cryswar

The Profound Dorkness
Game Developer
May 31, 2019
This is really good probably one of the best project out there. I'll buy a copy on steam keep up the good work.
Glad you enjoyed it, and thank you! I'll keep tryna improve the game.

I'm just really getting started on this, but already pretty hooked.

That said, I'm trying to figure out what's required to add elemental magics to a short bow, akin to the earlier mentioned in this topic Dragon's Dogma Mystic Archer. Started ranger, stat dumped into magic (with a little respeccing that I'll start a custom class for once I see what mix works) and had Celica make me a wind initiate. Do I need to progress further, or am I just missing the obvious here?

I'll definitely be doing multiple runs with different combat options/choices made to experience all this has to offer. Games like this are a goldmine for me to mess with.
If I remember correctly, Shortbow is Fire and Ice, while Longbow is Fire and Wind. It's been a bit since I worked on them, I should go back and add more stuff to both.

One of my projects for the next 1-2 updates is to improve the trait and ability dictionaries so it's easier to figure that stuff out, but UI is... not my strong suit. So I'm just, you know, trying to improve it as I go. If you start a custom character you can kinda do that by equipping weapons/changing stats and seeing what shows up in the Abilities section.

I get you though, all of the most memorable games for me have a meaningful amount of character customization. Even in adult games, stuff like CoC1 awakened me to the idea that "holy fuck having sex AND an actual RPG is fun!" which is what ultimately inspired this. I'm always working to improve this game's depth and customization options since some of my first attempts were... not great, and am open to feedback on existing stuff as well as suggestions on new abilities or ways to flesh out the existing ones!

Darkenedlight

Apr 25, 2018
Glad you enjoyed it, and thank you! I'll keep tryna improve the game.

If I remember correctly, Shortbow is Fire and Ice, while Longbow is Fire and Wind. It's been a bit since I worked on them, I should go back and add more stuff to both.

One of my projects for the next 1-2 updates is to improve the trait and ability dictionaries so it's easier to figure that stuff out, but UI is... not my strong suit. So I'm just, you know, trying to improve it as I go. If you start a custom character you can kinda do that by equipping weapons/changing stats and seeing what shows up in the Abilities section.

I get you though, all of the most memorable games for me have a meaningful amount of character customization. Even in adult games, stuff like CoC1 awakened me to the idea that "holy fuck having sex AND an actual RPG is fun!" which is what ultimately inspired this. I'm always working to improve this game's depth and customization options since some of my first attempts were... not great, and am open to feedback on existing stuff as well as suggestions on new abilities or ways to flesh out the existing ones!
Ahh, I'll give that a shot and see if that opens things up. Wanted to see that working before I did a deep dive into it, since that's the first run I wanted to do when I saw it was an option.

If you're looking for a simpler way to pass the info on, you can think about just adding traits and abilities into a google doc that's linked to here/discord/everywhere else that people can reference as needed until you find a good way to put it in the game. Temp fix if you're looking to get it working completely in the game at least.

Yeah, CoC1 and TiTS are definitely good benchmarks. Been meaning to get back on TiTS now that I think about it with the engine change/upgrades. I'll make sure to give some more feedback as I actually progress through this, but you're off to a strong start for the little bit I've gone through. This is probably going to end up like MGQ:paradox where I look back at the save files and realize I've lost a literal week's worth of time in it and wonder how I didn't notice.

Cryswar

The Profound Dorkness
Game Developer
May 31, 2019
Ahh, I'll give that a shot and see if that opens things up. Wanted to see that working before I did a deep dive into it, since that's the first run I wanted to do when I saw it was an option.

If you're looking for a simpler way to pass the info on, you can think about just adding traits and abilities into a google doc that's linked to here/discord/everywhere else that people can reference as needed until you find a good way to put it in the game. Temp fix if you're looking to get it working completely in the game at least.

Yeah, CoC1 and TiTS are definitely good benchmarks. Been meaning to get back on TiTS now that I think about it with the engine change/upgrades. I'll make sure to give some more feedback as I actually progress through this, but you're off to a strong start for the little bit I've gone through. This is probably going to end up like MGQ:paradox where I look back at the save files and realize I've lost a literal week's worth of time in it and wonder how I didn't notice.
Well, you might be happy to know I spent a while working on trait and ability dictionaries, much better functionality now. Felt like I shouldd at least try to get them working before putting even longer into writing everything out haha.

Happy to hear you're enjoying it so far! Constructive criticism and feedback on what works are both very helpful, they've helped enormously during development to make the game less ugly and more functional.

Darkenedlight

Apr 25, 2018
Well, you might be happy to know I spent a while working on trait and ability dictionaries, much better functionality now. Felt like I shouldd at least try to get them working before putting even longer into writing everything out haha.

Happy to hear you're enjoying it so far! Constructive criticism and feedback on what works are both very helpful, they've helped enormously during development to make the game less ugly and more functional.
Glad to hear it! If it would be of any help, I could look into making something of a character planner in spreadsheet format somewhere down the road. Would take some time obviously (would need to mess with a lot of things to make sure people didn't choose options they aren't qualified for and look nice doing it), but it could be a fun project in some spare time and help others later on creating their character once they have an idea of how to play the game.

As I've finally defeated the character creator, I'm just starting to delve into the story for real this time. I'll make sure to give a better update once I've got some time into it. Already have ideas for like, 3-4 more characters... And since I can already see that choices matter at least for scenes and added dialogue based on stat distribution, lots of time to sink into this. Definitely going to enjoy that!

Just a side note, since I'm not sure if it's intentional or not, but Longbow has access to both fire and wind without needing knowledge of the corresponding schools of magic, while Shortbow won't let you access them without learning it. Something I noticed while getting my character made.

tony_redgrave

Jan 7, 2018
Finally got around to playing this and I'm enjoying it a lot. I was very interested in the line regarding: "deciding if it's worth trading your humanity for the power you need - otherworldly energies offer much, but will change your body over time."

Does this imply the player will be able to change/transform in a sense based on certain factors (I assume Aether, Nether, Abyssal corruption)?

Last edited:

Cryswar

The Profound Dorkness
Game Developer
May 31, 2019
Glad to hear it! If it would be of any help, I could look into making something of a character planner in spreadsheet format somewhere down the road. Would take some time obviously (would need to mess with a lot of things to make sure people didn't choose options they aren't qualified for and look nice doing it), but it could be a fun project in some spare time and help others later on creating their character once they have an idea of how to play the game.

As I've finally defeated the character creator, I'm just starting to delve into the story for real this time. I'll make sure to give a better update once I've got some time into it. Already have ideas for like, 3-4 more characters... And since I can already see that choices matter at least for scenes and added dialogue based on stat distribution, lots of time to sink into this. Definitely going to enjoy that!

Just a side note, since I'm not sure if it's intentional or not, but Longbow has access to both fire and wind without needing knowledge of the corresponding schools of magic, while Shortbow won't let you access them without learning it. Something I noticed while getting my character made.
Good catch on the longbow/shortbow... those are supposed to be the same. Probably a leftover from beta testing that I missed. Thanks!

That tool does sound handy, I know some people find the game/its builds a little overwhelming. The premades help, but I've also noticed that a lotta folks ignore the warning and start with a full custom right from the start. Anything to make it more approachable without sacrificing depth/options.

Hope you enjoy the game in general! I definitely went into this... overly optimistic about my ability to make a full RPG from scratch by myself, but knowing people actually enjoy the gameplay/builds makes it feel like those thousands of hours weren't wasted.

Finally got around to playing this and I'm enjoying it a lot. I was very interested in the line regarding: "deciding if it's worth trading your humanity for the power you need - otherworldly energies offer much, but will change your body over time."

Does this imply the player will be able to change/transform in a sense based on certain factors (I assume Aether, Nether, Abyssal corruption)?
Good to hear you're having fun!

Yes, corruption will have story and physical implications as you get further into it. You can acquire up to 20 corruption currently, and later this year, I plan to include the first 'limit break' that will unlock the first (relatively minor) tier of ability/body modifications. The second will be the point of no return, so don't worry about playing around a bit with the first tier.

100% real talk, some of the details still need to be nailed down - I'll probably do it a bit more 'player choice' than CoC style random? - and we'll see how well I do representing any unlockable changes in writing. But I'll iterate on it as needed to make the system feel right.

Reactions: tony_redgrave

tony_redgrave

Jan 7, 2018
[/QUOTE]
Good to hear you're having fun!

Yes, corruption will have story and physical implications as you get further into it. You can acquire up to 20 corruption currently, and later this year, I plan to include the first 'limit break' that will unlock the first (relatively minor) tier of ability/body modifications. The second will be the point of no return, so don't worry about playing around a bit with the first tier.

100% real talk, some of the details still need to be nailed down - I'll probably do it a bit more 'player choice' than CoC style random? - and we'll see how well I do representing any unlockable changes in writing. But I'll iterate on it as needed to make the system feel right.
[/QUOTE]

Exciting to hear. The changes having story significance is definitely interesting since i found most of CoC's transformations to be pretty inconsequential overall. I also wondered if there is a level cap at the moment? Since I've completed the latest content , I'm pretty much just replaying a few stages to get some more traits.

Cryswar

The Profound Dorkness
Game Developer
May 31, 2019
Exciting to hear. The changes having story significance is definitely interesting since i found most of CoC's transformations to be pretty inconsequential overall. I also wondered if there is a level cap at the moment? Since I've completed the latest content , I'm pretty much just replaying a few stages to get some more traits.
There is no level hardcap. There is a softcap of 10 above the level of whatever you're fighting, so after a point, you'll only really get XP from sparring.

I'll do my best on the transformations, but I'm also not sure exactly what I'm getting into, so these are tentative plans. Corruption will definitely affect content later in the game though, choices about the goddesses are directly tied to the story.

In one of Celica's training dialogues she mentions hybrid elements any plans for those to be learnable?
Absolutely! I have them partially graphed out, and there are a fair few planned. However, they are more advanced magic - not coming in the near future.

Reactions: LOrdman11

Darkenedlight

Apr 25, 2018
That tool does sound handy, I know some people find the game/its builds a little overwhelming. The premades help, but I've also noticed that a lotta folks ignore the warning and start with a full custom right from the start. Anything to make it more approachable without sacrificing depth/options.
I'd just need a way to read up on all the traits and abilities with their conditions (and equipment if we wanted to add that too), and time. Lots of time because making it work like a full planner without letting people pick things in orders they can't get them will require more individual setup lines (and honestly needing to figure out how to do it, but minor detail :whistle:).

It'd be a fun thing to mess around with.

Definitely noticing that my bow build is... lacking right now with no one to really hold threat for me. Luckily I decided to roll a Earth/Aether S&S Pally type who gives zero fucks about whatever enemy is currently in front of me. Once Metatron finishes initiating me in Aether, going to keep progressing to the city.

geheim12347

Jan 20, 2020
I am curious. What are your plans for the pc choosing all or most relationships?
I mean, the girls are all in one camp with the mc. There's no way they aren't aware that the pc is doing it with everyone. Considering your prior trackreckord I am assuming you have at least planned something to adress that but are holding off on it for the moment because the individual relationships aren't even entirely done yet?

Cryswar

The Profound Dorkness
Game Developer
May 31, 2019
norcute 3840.png
May 7th Weekly Update

Got back to work this week! Actually went pretty well, despite being a tad rusty and having a lot going on IRL.

Around 8000 words of content written, with a few group scenes (Ashley/Maya, Sam/Celica) and one solo with Sarah. They all came out pretty well, though lowkey I'm super proud of the Sarah one, it's so nice to see her in comfy therapist mode.

Rosalyn and Ashley CGs got delivered as well; idk exactly when they'll make it into the game, but both artists (Nor and InCloud respectively) did a phenomenal job with the art! Lotta good expressions, and of course very lewd. Both are surprisingly affectionate too!

I forget if I even mentioned this one, but we also got a very cool giant birb art (non-waifu, sorry) that will likely be used in the post-deepwoods area.

Great progress on new stat icons, thanks to TheWiseHedgehog's amazing work. I think we have everything except for the Charisma icon nailed down and looking great!

I also went back and fixed almost all of the bugs/typos reported since 0.25 launch, though I confess some will take a little more work than I had hoped. My thanks to everyone who reported those, it's incredibly helpful for improving the game!

Gonna try to get some of the CG backlog implemented this week, there's actually more than I had realized floating around. Not the worst fate to have though. 'Oh no, a bunch of super high-quality lewd art, how terrible!' said no one ever.

Lastly, have a wide variety of sketches from Nor! Some are unbearably cute, some are goofy as hell, and some are dangerously good waifuizations of existing bosses/monsters. SvyatiMOMMY, god damn. It's honestly kinda crazy how good his art is, these were all sketches during a patron call that he just went super saiyan in like a god.

---------------

I'd just need a way to read up on all the traits and abilities with their conditions (and equipment if we wanted to add that too), and time. Lots of time because making it work like a full planner without letting people pick things in orders they can't get them will require more individual setup lines (and honestly needing to figure out how to do it, but minor detail :whistle:).

It'd be a fun thing to mess around with.

Definitely noticing that my bow build is... lacking right now with no one to really hold threat for me. Luckily I decided to roll a Earth/Aether S&S Pally type who gives zero fucks about whatever enemy is currently in front of me. Once Metatron finishes initiating me in Aether, going to keep progressing to the city.
Yeah... that does sound like a bitch. You'd need a lot of JSON reading to make it work, I think. I wonder if it'd be doable ingame somehow...?

Longbow is definitely a little risky, you have great damage potential but rely on an ally with decent threat management to shine. Shortbow is pretty universal. And sword and shield are almost impossible to fuck up, I think they're the strongest overall weapon (maybe tied with Greataxe). Maybe someday Spear and Shield will outshine it!

I am curious. What are your plans for the pc choosing all or most relationships?
I mean, the girls are all in one camp with the mc. There's no way they aren't aware that the pc is doing it with everyone. Considering your prior trackreckord I am assuming you have at least planned something to adress that but are holding off on it for the moment because the individual relationships aren't even entirely done yet?
The tentative plan is that some will be ok with group relationships, some will only tolerate the harem stuff, and near the end of the game you'll have to pick if you want a dedicated relationship/small group or more general harem. Ideally, each will feel valid, but single/small group will probably have the strongest emotional bonds at the end.

I do NOT intend to punish anyone for wanting to see all the content, just different experiences.

You're right that I haven't gotten all the reactions/group relationship stuff done yet, I wanted to get everyone a meaningful arc first so it actually felt meaningful when I did. And I will have to tread carefully on how I handle it.

Cryswar

The Profound Dorkness
Game Developer
May 31, 2019
Would be fun if one of the girls did go yandere mode and killed the others romanced girls to end up as the sole winner. :)
I love yandere, some girls will come closer to it, but actually killing other party members might not go over well...

geheim12347

Jan 20, 2020
I love yandere, some girls will come closer to it, but actually killing other party members might not go over well...
It's gonna be the "fun-sized" wizard, isn't it?
And yeah, I'd be glad if the game could steer cleer of some real dark shit.
You know, possible genocide, murder, and all that is fine and dandy but a love interest trying to kill another love interest?
Wow, that's too dark.

(I jest but in any media I partake in it kinda hits me super hard when part of a (soon-to-be) couple is killed it hits me way too bloody hard.).

• Sad
4.50 star(s) 37 Votes