Towerfag

Donor
Game Developer
Jul 14, 2017
All that said: Forced updates sounds atrocious. Just because Steam does it, it doesn't mean it's okay. Pretty sure you can turn those off as well on Steam as well.
The game is in its early dev stage and (paying) customers get what they want, since I'm sure they'd rather have the dev they support being constantly updating and fixing stuff in exchange for their hard-earned pledge.
If one of the Patrons were ever to raise an eyebrow over constant GAME UPDATES I'd consider changing something, but many of my supporters are there since the early Princess & Conquest days (roughly 6 years ago), so I'd guess they... trust me?

FruitSmoothie

Jan 22, 2019
The game is in its early dev stage and (paying) customers get what they want, since I'm sure they'd rather have the dev they support being constantly updating and fixing stuff in exchange for their hard-earned pledge.
If one of the Patrons were ever to raise an eyebrow over constant GAME UPDATES I'd consider changing something, but many of my supporters are there since the early Princess & Conquest days (roughly 6 years ago), so I'd guess they... trust me?
Why'd you even feel the need to respond to that? Or in that way? Trying to convince me you enjoy a good ego trip every now and then? Okay... Uhh, goodluck with that? I'm not even sure what you were trying to accomplish here. I'm like half confused/half cringing here, lol. I don't even know how to respond to this. I had nothing against you or this project before now but now I'm like "Uhhh, dude seems a bit unstable". I'm kind of worried for you, you okay?

Maybe take a break from hanging around here or get some sleep or something?

Last edited:

Towerfag

Donor
Game Developer
Jul 14, 2017
I was merely stating facts. Customers (afaik) are really happy with the auto-updates since they know I update the client 1-2 times a week and it'd be a pain to keep it on par manually (and not everybody has unlimited internet). This way the DL size is kept very small and there's no need to download/extract/replace files.

I don't think a direct answer to your qualms should be seen as a problem.

Reactions: Staboo and Rapatapa

HerpoDerpo

May 15, 2018
I accept that as a developer you have every right to develop your software as you see fit, and I have barely played the game (liked what I did so far). I think it's always a bit presumptuous forcing updates in any software, you can never know if all your changes will make the experience better for everyone, and allowing some means of version control for users (even if turned off by default to make it convenient for most) is preferable to not having it. I've had forced updates make software unusable on exotic configurations, I've had them make things unfit for what I was using it for, I've had it brick devices. As for limiting download size, doing delta updates between major versions could be an option for example.
Regardless, I tried the version in this thread (which auto-updated to 3.05) and ran into a game halting bug due to img/characters/!$3x5.png being missing while loading the city.
Just as a PS edit: I would like to restate that ultimately you have to do what works best for you, and if that ends up being continuing with the automated updates, so be it, people will adjust or they won't.

Last edited:

Towerfag

Donor
Game Developer
Jul 14, 2017
I accept that as a developer you have every right to develop your software as you see fit...
No, once again, you're not reading.
It's not me as a developer pushing auto-updates, it's my supporters being happy with them.
This is natural since they chose to support my project and, for that reason, they've probably already decided that I'm someone that (at least apparently) can be trusted with their money.

And someone you entrust your hard-earned $, is very probably someone you wouldn't mind sending constant updates to your machine, in order to make enjoying the game much easier.
I don't expect from anyone DLing the game from here the same level of trust, and I can't/don't want to change that.

I tried the version in this thread (which auto-updated to 3.05)...
That's old, the FREE build on Newgrounds ( ) is newer!

Penniless Degenerate

Jan 16, 2020
Only 5-star reviews should be allowed in here.
While the reviews on this site and the ones removed isn't exactly the brightest, nicest, nor the most objective. And we get that you want to just focus on satisfying the Patreon supporters since they are one that pays, but isn't forcing merely overwhelming positive review for what's supposed to be a public demo you provided previously kinda... pretentious? Demo is what you choose to present to non-supporters, right? Why can't we complaint what's wrong with the current demo that makes us think the game isn't worth supporting?

Perhaps some of those major problems we complaint were fixed in the Newgrounds build, then why don't you just provide the Newgrounds demo's files or link onto the main page? Since we have no indication that the Newgrounds build is newer before you say it right here.

• Angry
Reactions: AH-64E and Feletriu

TheMagister

Aug 5, 2016
While the reviews on this site and the ones removed isn't exactly the brightest, nicest, nor the most objective. And we get that you want to just focus on satisfying the Patreon supporters since they are one that pays, but isn't forcing merely overwhelming positive review for what's supposed to be a public demo you provided previously kinda... pretentious? Demo is what you choose to present to non-supporters, right? Why can't we complaint what's wrong with the current demo that makes us think the game isn't worth supporting?

Perhaps some of those major problems we complaint were fixed in the Newgrounds build, then why don't you just provide the Newgrounds demo's files or link onto the main page? Since we have no indication that the Newgrounds build is newer before you say it right here.
I feel like the dev was just joking, bud.

xןʞ

I trolled so N7 could soar.
Staff member
Donor
Jul 19, 2017
Only 6 star reviews have obviously been allowed in here.

palamito

Aug 28, 2019
Sorry can you tell me where to go in the mission: "Shoto has been to the Hole?! Find a way to reach its depths!"

2.70 star(s) 11 Votes