AVeryDumbDude

Feb 23, 2019
She certainly IS furry.
As someone who is into furry but not into monster girl, and with due respect, my ass she is.

100% human torso and 99.99% human head, with the only nonhuman bits being tail, arms and legs (which might as well be cat-themed gloves/socks over fully human limbs). That's, like, textbook example of monster girl. Which is fine and dandy, but let's not pretend it's furry because it's definitely not. Not, unless I've been bamboozled about the definition of "furry"/"anthro" this whole time.

In case you're wondering what is furry if she's not, here's a bunch of pics chosen at random from E6 that show actual furry/anthro felines worthy of the "furry" tag:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
See the difference? Because I definitely do.

EDIT: if I sound salty about this, it's because 9 out of 10 "furry"-tagged games uploaded here (the ones that aren't gay bara only cheaply written dating sims/VNs, anyway) turn out to have no furry content at all and were only were tagged at such because whoever posted them has no idea what "furry" actually means and confused it with "monster girl" for some reason. It gets really annoying after a while.

Last edited:

MagusOfAss

Aug 29, 2018
As someone who is into furry but not into monster girl, and with due respect, my ass she is.

100% human torso and 99.99% human head, with the only nonhuman bits being tail, arms and legs (which might as well be cat-themed gloves/socks over fully human limbs). That's, like, textbook example of monster girl. Which is fine and dandy, but let's not pretend it's furry because it's definitely not. Not, unless I've been bamboozled about the definition of "furry"/"anthro" this whole time.

In case you're wondering what is furry if she's not, here's a bunch of pics chosen at random from E6 that show actual furry/anthro felines worthy of the "furry" tag:

EDIT: if I sound salty about this, it's because 9 out of 10 "furry"-tagged games uploaded here (the ones that aren't gay bara only cheaply written dating sims/VNs, anyway) turn out to have no furry content at all and were only were tagged at such because whoever posted them has no idea what "furry" actually means and confused it with "monster girl" for some reason. It gets really annoying after a while.
The troubles of having a specific fetish. On the bright side real furry content is more available than eye-covered / eyeless / masked females (bonus if they are "gloomy") so I'll settle for furries or monster girls.

Edit: That is some top notch furry shit my man, nice examples

Last edited:

Towerfag

Donor
Game Developer
Jul 14, 2017
Does it even matter? It's not furry, so it shouldn't have the "furry" tag. Simple as that. Once that tag misuse is solved, I couldn't care less if the "proper" word is kemono or monster girl or whatever.
I don't think furry orthodoxy matters that much either. 10% furry is still furry to an extent, and I'm sure there are many more people that would rather have this game tagged "furry" even if it doesn't check all the boxes, compared to the ones getting bothered by it.

AND I'm not even the one tagging this shiet, so I don't really care THAT much.

Reactions: 8InchesAndCounting

AVeryDumbDude

Feb 23, 2019
I don't think furry orthodoxy matters that much either. 10% furry is still furry to an extent, and I'm sure there are many more people that would rather have this game tagged "furry" even if it doesn't check all the boxes, compared to the ones getting bothered by it.
Yeah, sure, I bet people won't mind having gay-only content tagged as "straight", or straight-only content tagged as "gay", or games with a female protagonist being tagged as "male protagonist". Or NTR games not being tagged as NTR so getting cuckolded comes as a surprise. They will love it.

People come here for the smut, and one of the main keys is being able the kind of smut you want in particular. Don't see how that could happen if people just start misusing tags like crazy.

This isn't some petty "the character's snout isn't long enough so it isn't furry enough" shit, this is straight up "monster girl" vs "furry", both tags that exist in this site and which point to completely different things. And hilariously enough, the "monster girl" tag is already properly included, it's the "furry" one that should be dropped (unless it turns out there is any actually furry character in the game deserving of the tag that simply doesn't show up in the preview pics, in which case I'll have to admit my mistake and take the L).

If I wanted to get philosophical, I'd say "monster girl" (or kemono, or nekos, or whatever you want to call it) is all about humans that look exotic but still mostly human, while "furry" is about characters that are definitely not human but are given human-like traits and shape. "Grab a human and give it animal-like traits" vs "grab an animal and give it human-like traits". Anyone can see how those things may seem close at first but are completely different at what they're after once you think about it.

In any case, I feel like we're talking in circles here and this can only go downhill so I'll just rest my case, drop the whole thing here, and hope for the day people stop misusing that tag (which obviously will also be the same day Hell freezes over).

Dyhart

Jul 30, 2017

If she's not furry, how is MONSTER girl appropriate? I've made (now deleted) comments in the past about this because people were saying an armadillo girl was furry. But unless she's wearing arm warmers and leggings, I am ok with her being considered furry..though i do see your argument based on those pics provided.

However, we can't even get an MTL tag, so this misunderstanding of the word furry (and the multiple opinions of the word) aren't going away anytime soon ever.

AVeryDumbDude

Feb 23, 2019
If she's not furry, how is MONSTER girl appropriate?
It is a bit counter intuitive, yes, but I'll just quote E621's wiki page for the "monster girl" tag, which I think explains is well enough:

"Monster girls are a common occurrence in anime and manga. As the name states, they feature slightly animal- or monster-like traits such as horns and wings yet also usually retain a humanoid face and midsection.

Despite the name, it should be noted that this tag applies to both intersex and male characters as well as females. As well, they should only rarely receive the label monster as that's specifically reserved for entities meant to look creepy or otherwise unsettling."

Dunno if they came after the name itself or they were the actual Trope Namers, but there's a handful games named "Monster Girl Quest" which seem to codify the whole genre and feature characters matching that description, so that may be the source of the name. Also why it's "monster girl" and not just "monster" even if (some of) the characters are male.

The entry for "animal humanoid" is also relevant here:

"Kemonomimi, animal ears, catgirl, (moe); A certain style of character, popularly known by the Japanese as kemonomimi (roughly "animal+ears"). These characters appear almost entirely human, but have the ears, tail, and sometimes paws or nose, of an animal. Here on e621, this meaning has been extended to apply to nearly all characters with minor animal characteristics (e.g., ears, tail, nose, penis, winged_arms, etc.) who otherwise appear entirely human."

I've made (now deleted) comments in the past about this because people were saying an armadillo girl was furry.
I can't say for sure without seeing the image in question, but just from the context, I get the feeling that was monster girl as well indeed.

But unless she's wearing arm warmers and leggings, I am ok with her being considered furry..though i do see your argument based on those pics provided.
My rule of thumb is:
  • If it has a human face (as in, with human skin) and torso, it's monster girl, regardless of what the rest of the body looks like (e.g. there's a lamia girl in Monster Musume that looks like a huge snake below the waist, but since the torso and face are mostly "human but with one or two scales here and there", she's a monster girl. Not to say that Monster Musume is all about monster girls in the first place, lmao).
  • If it has a human face only and everything else is nonhuman, it's mainly monster girl but may also be borderline furry.
  • If it has a human-shaped face but with fur/scales/whatever instead of human skin and there's no human skin anywhere else/the body is fully nonhuman, you could argue it's either or both at the same time.
  • If the character looks like "x animal species, but made bipedal and given human intelligence" (including having a nonhuman/animal-like head), then it's obviously furry.
However, we can't even get an MTL tag, so this misunderstanding of the word furry (and the multiple opinions of the word) aren't going away anytime soon ever.
Lmao, you think I don't know that? I thought the "when Hell freezes over" bit made it clear, lol.

• Angry

RNDM

Engaged Member
Mar 10, 2018
Probably worth remembering that the Japanese occasionally lump freakin' Elves under the "monstergirl" category...
Yeah.

Personally I suspect that's down to A) outright laziness B) them apparently not having translated and imported new D&D editions since around '92, when all non-monstrous races were still under the rather dubious term "demihuman"...

Reactions: Dyhart

MEMEACCOUNT

Jul 27, 2020
This looks very promising, definitely watching this one, also, happy to hear that improving performance is your focus.

BOSSX

Sep 19, 2018
wtf ARE YOU MENT TO DO HERE JUST KEEP ON SAYING (THE TRAIL IS THIS FRESH) CAN'T FIND ANY KEYS ANY WERE WHAT AM I DOING WRONG HELPPPPP.

BOSSX

Sep 19, 2018
This game is F ed you cant go back up the stair's when yoou go down you cant get back up is this a bug in the game or WHAT.

Thesilentone1995

Jan 20, 2019
I'm stuck down the stairwell on the way to the abyss on the first night, I can't seem to progress in any way I tried jumping and sprinting to go up the stairs and I think I explored everywhere down at the entrance to the abyss. Any advice on how to progress?

2.70 star(s) 11 Votes