VN Ren'Py Dual Family [v1.22.1ce] [Gumdrop Games]

2.10 star(s) 189 Votes

dpad

Dec 29, 2016
Fuck, this thread is gold, someone needs to start archiving these post's soon as Because, I think we've entered the renaissance of what it mean's to shit all over an unworthy game Developer.
The Urban Demons thread has some comedy gold if you want to check it out.

Reactions: Darth Bane

Jashmyne

Oct 11, 2018
He said that he have a problem with the segments, he saw that his computer didn't took the good files, it was his vacation photos that was used for the segments of the game, instead of the game images. He explains that he will have to try again and he estimates that it could take close of 9 months. But he will add an extra pinup picture this week.
With this developer, can't tell if that's a joke or the actual truth.

u z i

lurker
Uploader
Donor
Nov 9, 2018
haha this thread has become more of a meme than a 'game discussion' thread.
i think its for the best because i have completely(almost :( ) lost hope of ever getting an update...

Reactions: yandex

El09

Apr 15, 2017
hold up, didn't gumdrops made a post a few months back that there was a definite release date around this time? or did he extend it again?

yandex

Oct 17, 2018
@Joshua Tree I've read I don't know how many pages of this thread, only to have you defend this dev and his methods. "This delay" is not his fault, that "thing" is not his fault, my Aunt's gout is not his fault (though that one may be true).

I've never played this game because I wait a minimum of 2 updates to play ANY game. I joined "The Zone" in September, 2017. I have still not played this game. Not because I'm not paying attention, but because of ONE update in that time.

Short-sighted? Maybe. Judgemental? Again, maybe. 17 months and I still have not played this game due to a simple rule: Two updates (since I joined). Tell me again how that schedule is normal, sustainable, defensible, or even REMOTELY normal (yup, I realize: Redundant much)?

I think you are a shadow account for GumDrop. And I cannot defend the Sugary Overlord.
And I'm one unfortunate person who played this game about a year ago not knowing what was going to ensue. Liked it very much, it was infact one of the first adult VNs I played, got attached, and now am stuck in the never ending whirlpool of waiting and disappointment.

yandex

Oct 17, 2018
I just want to start by saying: I like the game! It's one of the first games I played, along with DMD.
I know there are problems with it, just like any game. Maybe too dark (depressing) for some? The characters faces have been injected with anesthesia, hence they have no expressions. The transit between some of the scenes are a bit odd, but Gumdrops was onto something...that's why he garnered the support he did.

The following is just conjecture on my part:
1. Patreon came crashing down on incest content.
2. His game is called "Dual Family". He can always try changing it to DF, but that didn't work for DMD.
3. As of now, there has been no content that breaks Patreon's TOS.
4. The massive influx of support was to get to the content that Patreon has forbidden.
5. I don't remember the exact number, but before he paused development (to get new hardware) his earnings were under $1k I think, he spiked at around 12k a month

So, put yourself in his shoes...
You're making a decent amount of money, perhaps enough to buy a new car, buy some new electronics, pay off a debt or two, hire a hooker to beat you with a cricket bat (insert what you would do here)... you get my point!

Do you risk it by putting out new content?...or do you wait it out, build your own site, release raunchy images to keep the hype going, and financially secure yourself.

Conclusion:
Yes, he's been working on his game, but he will not release it until he feels he's earned enough or the support dies off.
People celebrating that his earnings have dropped to $7k a month... so what? That's still a decent amount. Some developers work there asses off and can't reach that amount (It's not fair to them, but life is never fair.)

Personally, I think in the long run he'll burn too many bridges and lose trust, which is very hard to regain. This update, as massive as it's supposed to be, will disappoint a lot of people. He's probably put too much pressure on himself to deliver as well, which might be leading him to second guess himself and keep pumping out renders to reach "Magnum Opus" status.

But then again, what do I know? I'm just some dude on the internet :geek:
This is the first time I am hearing this perspective. I so much hope you are right and this indeed is the case. Good for him, his plan is going accordingly in this case, his alternate site is up, just that he indeed delivers.

Dec 24, 2018
hold up, didn't gumdrops made a post a few months back that there was a definite release date around this time? or did he extend it again?
It was supposed to come out on or before January 25th, but he had to delay the release date because he took 3 weeks off from developing part X to make the Christmas episode. Logically you would think he'd delay the release date by 3 weeks, so the game would be out by now, but the January 25th release date was just more bullshit he fed his delusional patreon supporters in the first place and never an actual release date.

This is the first time I am hearing this perspective. I so much hope you are right and this indeed is the case. Good for him, his plan is going accordingly in this case, his alternate site is up, just that he indeed delivers.
Lol why do people keep falling for that. It has nothing to do with patreon rules. You customize the the names and relationships, there's technically no incest. The game doesn't break any rules it has nothing to do with patreon.

And besides, he could just make a patch like every other developer here. People who think that patreon rules being a legit reason for these delays might almost be as delusional as his patreon supporters.

yandex

Oct 17, 2018
Lol why do people keep falling for that. It has nothing to do with patreon rules. You customize the the names and relationships, there's technically no incest. The game doesn't break any rules it has nothing to do with patreon.

And besides, he could just make a patch like every other developer here. People who think that patreon rules being a legit reason for these delays might almost be as delusional as his patreon supporters.
Easy there, this is more like wishful thinking.

victor659

Jan 9, 2019
People care because we want to play games, and delusional patreon supporters enabling developers to milk them is just annoying.

And the game can continue on patreon, you customize the names and relationships, there's technically no incest so it isn't breaking any rules. Gumdrop is just milking his supporters and people are getting annoyed because we want to play games, it's very simple.
If he abandons his game and not milking, you would be ok with that? There are many other games you can play.
And no this game can't continue to Patreon. He can make another game with the same characters but it will not be Dual Family anymore. Many support this game for its incest theme and story and probably the dev didn't want to change it until now. I don't know what he will do in the future but it is his game and he will decide that. As you know Dual Family is updated almost every month before Patreon decides to take action against games of this theme.

It's like saying I don't understand why you care if other people care about the dev milking or not. It's a discussion forum. It is very simple.
Ok maybe i don't express myself very well. What i am saying is that i come here to discuss about the game and not about the dev and i believe that most people actually care about the game and not if the dev is nice guy or not. If i am wrong correct me. People accuse devs of incest theme games for don't update theirs games and milking ignoring the most important thing. PATREON RULES AND POLICY. Some devs don't want to change their games and many supporters don't want that also. So many games of that kind are abandoned or are on hold or progress very slowly.

Turret

Engaged Member
Jun 23, 2017
And I'm one unfortunate person who played this game about a year ago not knowing what was going to ensue. Liked it very much, it was infact one of the first adult VNs I played, got attached, and now am stuck in the never ending whirlpool of waiting and disappointment.
For me, Dual Family too was one of my first adult VNs. I played VNs before, like Steins Gate or Heart of destruction, but DF was different and had a lot of potential! Frak, you could have done so much with it, but then gumdrop decided that milking the patrons was easier than truly going forward with the game.
It is telling that he still did not give a new release date, even if he said the Christmas special put him back three weeks and these 3 weeks are over. BUT still no update, not even a pending release date and this after a "I won´t miss the January date, because of so much time" blabbing by Gumdrop. As I wrote earlier, I believe he will impossibly late push out a shoddy update to milk a few months more and then abandon the game. Sad that a game with potential most likely ends like this.

If you look at my signature you see two (among others) of the games I like. Normally DF would be there as well, but I do not want to lead other users to possibly making pledges for such a disgrace of a developer. The only way a DF sig might one day be in my sig is with the addendum: DF is a good game, but it´s developer should be buggered daily for being the King of Milking and Lies.

Reactions: yandex

fakerdude

Mar 10, 2018
If he abandons his game and not milking, you would be ok with that? There are many other games you can play.
And no this game can't continue to Patreon. He can make another game with the same characters but it will not be Dual Family anymore. Many support this game for its incest theme and story and probably the dev didn't want to change it until now. I don't know what he will do in the future but it is his game and he will decide that. As you know Dual Family is updated almost every month before Patreon decides to take action against games of this theme.

Ok maybe i don't express myself very well. What i am saying is that i come here to discuss about the game and not about the dev and i believe that most people actually care about the game and not if the dev is nice guy or not. If i am wrong correct me. People accuse devs of incest theme games for don't update theirs games and milking ignoring the most important thing. PATREON RULES AND POLICY. Some devs don't want to change their games and many supporters don't want that also. So many games of that kind are abandoned or are on hold or progress very slowly.

The problem is that the last time there was something to discuss about this game (story or gameplay) was like 9-10 months ago. Since the last update, which launched around the time the dinossaurs roamed the earth, all we had to talk about were the dev's updates and posts filled with layers upon layers of the finest bullshit available.
So yeah, there ain't much to discuss besides milking techniques and stupid human beings.
Besides, those PATREON RULES AND POLICY stopped being a ''real'' problem a while ago. Since then, dev's and patreons have adjusted. Nothing that a landlady or neighbor can't fix.

2.10 star(s) 189 Votes