VN Ren'Py Dual Family [v1.22.1ce] [Gumdrop Games]

2.10 star(s) 188 Votes

jestertlw

Nov 23, 2019
After doing some digging, I think I actually found out the answer. He put it right in the game.

Code:
 ps "He finally made an announcement."
    sk "Who?"
    ps "The {color=#CDA9FF}DUAL FAMILY{/color} developer."
    scene b_dev_02
    $ renpy.pause(3.0, hard=True)
    sk "...Who?"
    ps "The GAME we're finishing, skeleton." with vpunch
    ps "I know you don't have a brain in there, but you NEED to shut up and listen..."
    scene b_dev_02
    sk "...I can listen."
    play sound "audio/II/three2.mp3"
    sk "{cps=13}Heh heh heh.{/cps}"
    scene b_dev_03
    $ renpy.pause(2.0, hard=True)
    "{cps=6}. . .{/cps}"
    scene b_dev_03_1
    ps "He's... SELLING..."
    ps "PART X's raw materials to... who?!" with vpunch
    scene b_dev_04_1
    ps "THIS IS A CRIME happening RIGHT NOW!" with vpunch
    scene b_dev_05
    sk "Just READ it you fool."
    scene b_dev_06
    "{cps=6}. . .{/cps}"
    scene b_dev_07
    ps "I am."
    scene b_dev_04_1
    ps "This is worse than I thought..."
    scene b_dev_02
    ps '"A private auction held for Part X and its development materials."'
    ps '"All assets necessary to finish what was started: writing - renders - tools."'
    ps '"Over 3000 images to choose from - follow the written plot or make your own."'
    ps '"After all, this game is yours now!"'
    scene b_dev_02
    "{cps=6}. . .{/cps}"
    play sound "audio/II/three2.mp3"
    sk "{cps=13}Heh heh heh.{/cps}"
    sk "Directing the fans to finish the game for him?"
    sk "Devious."
    ps "This..."
    scene b_dev_10
    ps "I WAS ALREADY DOING THIS!" with vpunch
    ps "Fucking great. Now I have to deal with THE DEVELOPER BEING A FUCKING IDIOT."
    ps "Why the hell doesn't he release the assets if he's quitting? They should be FREE, especially the images."
    scene b_dev_09
    ps "Hold on..."
    scene b_dev_02
    ps '"Until the day of the auction, you can earn Part X and its assets completely FREE - no dollar spent."'
    ps '"Write a convincing story for this segment: that which follows the TV room hug and kiss."'
    scene b_dev_11
    ps '"I look forward to reading the dialogue, choices and story you have for Part X!"'
    scene b_dev_11
    "{cps=6}. . .{/cps}"
    ps "...It's possible."
    ps "I have a month to write this segment, but it has to outweigh the competition. It's all or nothing."
    ps "Why the hell is there a competition? Who would spend any amount of time on this?"
    scene b_dev_11
    "{cps=6}. . .{/cps}"
    ps "...I want those assets."
    ps "The images. Her eyes, her lips, her face."
    ps "Fuck the writing, I don't NEED that. I can easily fill in the blanks when I see it."
    ps "I just need the renders and I'll..."
    scene b_dev_09
    "{cps=6}. . .{/cps}"
    ps "I need to get started."
    ps "If I don't, someone else will. Turning in something, ANYTHING is better than doing nothing."
    ps "If the auction day comes before I submit any writing, that's-"
    sk "How much?"
    sk "Just buy it at the auction."
    scene b_dev_10
    "{cps=6}. . .{/cps}"
    ps "Oh."
    ps "You're right. I didn't even check."
    ps "Can't be anything more than-"
    scene b_dev_03_1
    ps "TEN THOUSAND?!" with vpunch
    ps "THAT'S THE STARTING BID?!" with vpunch
    ps "This CAN'T be REAL." with vpunch
    scene b_dev_04_1
    ps "Who would EVEN LOOK AT THIS?!" with vpunch
    scene b_dev_04
    "{cps=6}. . .{/cps}"
    scene b_dev_05
    sk "...You complain far too much."
    sk "Just make it yourself."
    scene b_dev_06
    "{cps=6}. . .{/cps}"
    scene b_dev_06_1
    sk "...You were going to do that before this announcement, were you not?"
    sk "All the writing, all the images. It's already been decided."
    sk "So, make the game yourself."
    scene b_dev_04
    "{cps=6}. . .{/cps}"
    scene b_dev_03
    sk '"SEGMENT"'
    sk "How long could that possibly be, two or three paper lengths?"
    scene b_dev_03_1
    ps "It's less."
    scene b_dev_04
    "{cps=6}. . .{/cps}"
    scene b_dev_04_1
    ps "...But it doesn't matter anymore."
    ps "The story and renders are being released to GOD KNOWS WHO next month."
    ps "I don't want to start from zero anymore. Not when I'm this close to it."
    ps "Every single line and image from Part X..."
    scene b_dev_02
    "{cps=6}. . .{/cps}"
    sk "Then get started."
    ps "I will."

Looks like he didn't want to finish the game, and auctioned off numerous assets created to the highest bidder based on a writing competition (?)

So what we're seeing are the actually good, talented part X segments and animations strung together by nonsense from someone who is unskilled and/or coasting on the patreon money to get a decent ROI on their $10K investment.

Honestly, that makes sense. remember kyle used to post lengthy, paragraphs-long updates in a unique writing style? haven't seen those anymore - because he's gone and moved on to other things. the current "gumdrop" is just a shell curator raking in patreon money.

Shit, the more I think of it, the more it makes total sense. Kyle in the updates leading to part X years ago talked about he wrote a new script engine for "hub worlds", talked about his love of music and making it a much bigger part of part X, etc - we see those assets and scraps in this (a bunch of music casettes and custom music, for example), just jumbled together since they never finished creating the coherent, finished product, and just auctioned off what they had to some guy, hinting at boredom with it and friction/infighting with the small development team he hired as being reasons for doing so.
This isn't a new conspiracy theory. See as an example: September 2020 post. There have been callbacks to this conspiracy theory in game after posts like that one -- both in script and in images. Another valid theory is that since these hints/clue were put in the game after the chatting about a sell-out hit the threads that the dev references them as some kind of meta.

This isn't The Sixth Sense, this is Old ... in more ways than one.

Do you know what isn't old?

muh popcorn.

Edit: I will say that I applaud your efforts in your attempt. But sometimes -- if it walks like a duck, talks like a duck, it's fucking quackers.

Last edited:

akd420

Aug 4, 2018
I am currently seeing 3 version. someone explain what the old version is? was this game remaked?

jestertlw

Nov 23, 2019
I am currently seeing 3 version. someone explain what the old version is? was this game remaked?
  • Part II is dev's excursion into post-modern expression and pop art under the guise of being a new framing / second part of the story
  • Main Game is the tweaked original story with some continued content (since the dev never completed it, to begin with)
  • Old version is the previous version of the original story
Although the son and the father each get lucky with a couple of women - the mother and the daughter do not have sex with anyone in the game. The game is almost five years old with several years of dev not providing content or lying about content they had ready or were about to release. You will notice there are over 800 pages of comments on a game rated only 2.5 stars. You should read at least a few of the last several pages and reviews before starting to download any of the three, particularly the 7.5GB Part II.

Reactions: akd420

Turret

Engaged Member
Jun 23, 2017
we will make it to page 1000.
Most definitely! You have to give honour where it is due, Gumdrop at least gained a lasting reputation!:p If this reputation is good or not, is in the eye of the beholder, but most would say no. It is actually a facepalm-worthy moment: We have hundreds of pages in the thread of a Conman, while some really great developers, e.g. 1thousand with Deliverance or Mutt and Jeff with Pale Carnations, are still relatively unknown!

a1fox3

Loving Family Member's
Donor
Respected User
Aug 8, 2017
What are the (main) differences between old game and main game?
Part II I have no idea about but it is some fevered dream hooked on dope or something.
I would not play this.

Main game is the same as the original but with just a little bit more stuff, maybe the next update will give us more of the story but I don't hold any hope for this game/VN ever being completed.
Original game the father and son fucks several women but no sex scenes with the mom and sister.
Now for the new version of the game called Main Game is the same as the original on who father and son fucks.

Reactions: RichardBRiddick

J0K3RXXX

Dec 7, 2018
  • Part II is dev's excursion into post-modern expression and pop art under the guise of being a new framing / second part of the story
  • Main Game is the tweaked original story with some continued content (since the dev never completed it, to begin with)
  • Old version is the previous version of the original story
Although the son and the father each get lucky with a couple of women - the mother and the daughter do not have sex with anyone in the game. The game is almost five years old with several years of dev not providing content or lying about content they had ready or were about to release. You will notice there are over 800 pages of comments on a game rated only 2.5 stars. You should read at least a few of the last several pages and reviews before starting to download any of the three, particularly the 7.5GB Part II.
What the hell can there be in Part II to make it take up 7.5 GB? Can someone explain that content nonsense?

jestertlw

Nov 23, 2019
What the hell can there be in Part II to make it take up 7.5 GB? Can someone explain that content nonsense?
A lot of MP4's is my guess.
WebM, actually, and also high resolution PNG files. The dev doesn't appear to know proper settings that can retain quality images and video while using smaller file sizes (or they do and they don't give a shit ... or that's part of the grift). Almost all of the WebM and PNGs could remind someone of when a toddler gets hold of your phone and takes random photos and videos - a lot of the same shots over and over but with slight changes of perspective.

By way of comparison about compression settings, etc .... Part II compresses to about 1/10th the original size when JokerLeader (last done for TV DS in December down to about 640MB).

cxx

Message Maestro
Nov 14, 2017
once scamdrop said that he will remake game to 8k graphics and you can just imagine size of dl then. as for current high resolution images and vids.

That is a sure fact, unless the forum closes this thread.
well they haven't done so past 800 pages even they have had good reasons so unlikely.

Oct 6, 2021
Part II I have no idea about but it is some fevered dream hooked on dope or something.
I would not play this.

Main game is the same as the original but with just a little bit more stuff, maybe the next update will give us more of the story but I don't hold any hope for this game/VN ever being completed.
Original game the father and son fucks several women but no sex scenes with the mom and sister.
Now for the new version of the game called Main Game is the same as the original on who father and son fucks.
And did either Main or Original get the famous chapter X?

Kakato

Engaged Member
Feb 25, 2017
once scamdrop said that he will remake game to 8k graphics and you can just imagine size of dl then. as for current high resolution images and vids.

well they haven't done so past 800 pages even they have had good reasons so unlikely.
8k for a Skeleton ?! How dare he ?!! NO WAY I'm downloading this until he gets his Skeleton to 32k level. I want to see the bone Marrow, man - The BONE MARROW ! :p

2.10 star(s) 188 Votes