Others Abandoned Esoteric Erotica [v0.149 Alpha] [EsoDev]

5.00 star(s) 1 Vote

EsoDev

Mar 4, 2020
cant wait for the game to begin.. really excited.. the potential ..ooo.. so hard to find games like this.. luv the mc customization and the possibilities for so many modders to partake.. tq dev.
While I wholly support my game being modded, I wouldn't hold my breath for someone picking this up for modding. I've had people try before giving up before. The internals are pretty complex, unfortunately. That said, if someone is brave enough to try, I will do my best to help them.

Reactions: bytecy

sonotink

May 7, 2019
While I wholly support my game being modded, I wouldn't hold my breath for someone picking this up for modding. I've had people try before giving up before. The internals are pretty complex, unfortunately. That said, if someone is brave enough to try, I will do my best to help them.
What if you tried creating a mod creating tool, to make it easier, which has all the tools built into it that can help with the complex internals. Just an idea, been forever since I've done programming, and my programming knowledge was very basic, so, I'm likely wrong, and it's likely harder to create a modding tool for the game then it would be to make a mod.

EsoDev

Mar 4, 2020
What if you tried creating a mod creating tool
That would be working on the assumption that there's some core issue that makes the internal workings of the games complicated, rather than the reality of the content representation being just overall complicated. And with the actual situation being the latter, I've found it more worthwhile to automate the details where I can. I have a set of tutorials on my blog discussing adding a very simple event to the game in any case, you can see what the issue is from there:

Keep in mind it's a very simple event. Most of the content the game deals goes well beyond what's written there.

• Red Heart
Reactions: sonotink and bytecy

sonotink

May 7, 2019
That would be working on the assumption that there's some core issue that makes the internal workings of the games complicated, rather than the reality of the content representation being just overall complicated. And with the actual situation being the latter, I've found it more worthwhile to automate the details where I can. I have a set of tutorials on my blog discussing adding a very simple event to the game in any case, you can see what the issue is from there:

Keep in mind it's a very simple event. Most of the content the game deals goes well beyond what's written there.
If it's truly that simple, maybe on my free time, i might try making a mod.

raska42

Feb 16, 2018
If it's truly that simple, maybe on my free time, i might try making a mod.
sonotink Sounds like when you're saying modding you mean what I'd call user developed content (assuming Eso allows that), but will try to cover both in case I missed something

Took a quick glance at the tutorials and the blog intro, then did a quick check on what FSA was (did not expect it to be an archaic term that's making a comeback, but it admittedly does sound substantially more impressive than multi-conditional branching or tiered conditional branching). Based on the tutorial, raw text only stuff should be doable for even casual programmers/modders, although there will likely be a bit of learning needed for those who aren't familiar with cross-file calls. Might take an evening to get enough of the basics down to do more than just copy the example. Skill wise, I think most people that are capable of doing more than surface adjustments to a game would be able to write moderate to complex events. Concepts are (fairly) static, just comes down to if they're willing to learn the syntax and their particular skill ceiling. Only possible hitch I'm seeing with user content is that anything with any degree of complexity, as well as simple events that reference anything (pc-actor, npc-actor, object, etc) won't be possible unless those global functions are public, and I don't know what the stance is on that. A quick glance didn't show them anywhere, but wasn't really expecting to find them since it's still pre-beta.

EsoDev

Mar 4, 2020
sonotink Sounds like when you're saying modding you mean what I'd call user developed content (assuming Eso allows that), but will try to cover both in case I missed something
Firstly, the game is open source. The engine is not, the game however is and all of the game mechanics are coded inside of the game rather than hardcoded into the engine. As such you can add user content, develop full blown mods that alter or extend the way anything functions or tear down the game to 0 and start over with your own concept.

Took a quick glance at the tutorials and the blog intro, then did a quick check on what FSA was (did not expect it to be an archaic term that's making a comeback, but it admittedly does sound substantially more impressive than multi-conditional branching or tiered conditional branching).
FSA allow for more free form code flow, it's not dissimilar to how jumping to labels works in Ren'py or how Twine works in general, but it has some additional quirks to it.

Based on the tutorial, raw text only stuff should be doable for even casual programmers/modders, although there will likely be a bit of learning needed for those who aren't familiar with cross-file calls. Might take an evening to get enough of the basics down to do more than just copy the example. Skill wise, I think most people that are capable of doing more than surface adjustments to a game would be able to write moderate to complex events. Concepts are (fairly) static, just comes down to if they're willing to learn the syntax and their particular skill ceiling.
That kind of approach was the point of writing those tutorials, yes. It's what happens with more involved content that starts getting people lost. Things like sex-scenes, which I feel should be a popular target for modding, are more coding heavy than what's presented in the tutorial and, if you want everything to run without a hitch, need to be written to integrate with other sex scenes.

Only possible hitch I'm seeing with user content is that anything with any degree of complexity, as well as simple events that reference anything (pc-actor, npc-actor, object, etc) won't be possible unless those global functions are public, and I don't know what the stance is on that. A quick glance didn't show them anywhere, but wasn't really expecting to find them since it's still pre-beta.
First off, the language isn't object oriented. However referencing the PC, NPCs or even specific objects you construct is very much possible - it just doesn't follow OOP principles. It does however require a bit more coding. There are examples in the source code as to how to do this, but I'd need more specific applications to point out examples of them. Some of the things in the wizards section can be used to manipulate these things without showing them to you directly. For example the posibility of setting up checks against the stats of a NPC or manipulating a NPC's relationship with the PC. Again, specific answer would require more specific questions.

B.t.w. to access the source code of the game you need to unzip the data package. If it's unzipped directly into the game folder the game will automatically switch to referencing the unpacked files vs. the archive.

Reactions: sonotink

FallGuyMcFly

Jan 28, 2020
I played it, I enjoyed it and thought it was interesting AF and has a lot of potential. I think I may actually go support it and I hope others do too. Their last post was only a couple days ago and their (current, at least) Patreon goal is pretty reasonable and considering all the free d/ling we get, supporting the smaller worthy ones is the least we can do.

Well, that's just what I think at least. I'm sure others are bound to have differing opinions.

EsoDev

Mar 4, 2020
Their last post was only a couple days ago and their (current, at least) Patreon goal is pretty reasonable and considering all the free d/ling we get, supporting the smaller worthy ones is the least we can do.
I'm still on my usual weekly update schedule, save for when life gets in the way and things need to get postponed.

ViviX12

Engaged Member
Jan 5, 2019
I'm still on my usual weekly update schedule, save for when life gets in the way and things need to get postponed.
I'm surprised you still didn't apply for the game dev tag for your profile

rbx4

Jan 21, 2018
The character creator is interesting, but I plan to watch and wait until I see what the content will be like.

EsoDev

Mar 4, 2020
Any news on an update?
The version in this thread is 0.49, the currently posted version is (purely accidentally) version 0.149, the current in development version is moving towards version 0.158. I still mostly do weekly updates, apart from some spots of being sick. If you find the updates/progress satisfactory is not my concern.

Dracis3D

Game Developer
Nov 16, 2017
Any news on an update?
You can find the latest version here -

It is still in alpha state but from my perspective it is moving along in a good direction. EsoDev - I know your motivation is not community praise (especially from this community) but I follow with interest on what you will eventually build.

Anonymous15615

Aug 3, 2017
You can find the latest version here -

It is still in alpha state but from my perspective it is moving along in a good direction. EsoDev - I know your motivation is not community praise (especially from this community) but I follow with interest on what you will eventually build.
The version in this thread is 0.49, the currently posted version is (purely accidentally) version 0.149, the current in development version is moving towards version 0.158. I still mostly do weekly updates, apart from some spots of being sick. If you find the updates/progress satisfactory is not my concern.
Thanks!

Swedra

Aug 13, 2018
This looks really interesting, saw something about masochism and sadism in the screenshots, and the notes say submissive protagonist, it all seems to make for a hot game, but is it (still) as bare-bones as people say?

Kheru

Feb 23, 2019
From the Itch Io link under more information, there are a few links.

It mentions needing Wind 7 or Higher and .NET libraries.

A virus total link

And a large Blog about the whys of the game.
My Panda had put it into quarantine in the second i clicked on it, signed as W32/exploit

5.00 star(s) 1 Vote