Mod Ren'Py Eternum [v0.7.5] Multi-Mod [Sancho1969]

5.00 star(s) 9 Votes

hth2m1

May 28, 2018
I assure y'all I'm multitasking as best I can. I might just be the only dumbass on the planet that is currently processing my employee payroll while simultaneously modding a cartoon pr0n game :ROFLMAO: :p.

TBH, it's the MiniStat choreography coding in this VN that takes a ton of time. Most VN's simply have fadeouts to black and new scene fadeins for scene changes... nothing else much visually (besides lewd scenes), but this VN has so much image manipulation and production that I have to choreograph the MiniStat very carefully so those production values implemented by the dev retain the most impact for the Player. It's a bitch to do this (intricate work) but the payoff is rather enormous... especially if the Player doesn't even realize that I've done it (which is kind of the point, to be seemless and keep the mod unobtrusive).
Dude take your time seriously, it's frankly insane how quickly you tend to turnaround these things.

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
Note: There's a split in this update.

Just so I don't get feedback later if I push this mod update out before I finish coding the split (I'll circle back to it later), I've insured the fork screen should alleviate any concern regarding the typical "Wahhh! I don't want to have multiple playthroughs!"... or something like that :ROFLMAO:.

I'll have to think of a clever way to implement it though... a simple split could bork things later depending on how Cari codes future updates regarding the scene paths.
1711124882869.png

hth2m1

May 28, 2018

Just so I don't get feedback later if I push this mod update out before I finish coding the split (I'll circle back to it later), I've insured the fork screen should alleviate any concern regarding the typical "Wahhh! I don't want to have multiple playthroughs!"... or something like that :ROFLMAO:.

I'll have to think of a clever way to implement it though... a simple split could bork things later depending on how Cari codes future updates regarding the scene paths.
plot-wise it really felt like that split was meant to be a flavor thing only for that specific situation (plus an opportunity for an extra point with whichever girl you went with), I didn't get the impression that it was meant to have any far-reaching effects based on how cleanly the paths merged back together with minor dialogue differences. But of course you never know, this is Caribdis so anything's possible.

MaxRichard

Oct 7, 2023
If memory serves it's DanielsK that has his current VN with a Character define as "re" that I have to change each time. I use Python's "re" function for text replacement in alt-character renaming in the mod's Core. That's ultimately what finally came to mind for me to check this VN's Character defines as a last ditch effort (I was getting to my wits end trying to figure out why the mod was crashing). That's when I saw Zippy the Goat... fuckin' things up with "zip". :ROFLMAO:
Maybe you can write some defensive code to reference every function off your own module `sancho` like `sancho.re` and `sancho.zip` as aliases to the default python libs. You could define a bunch of aliases in your `__init__.py` simply as `import zip` and `import re` etc and then just load the dir that contains your `__init__.py`, say, `sancho`, and use those aliases `import sancho` to reference `sancho.zip`. you could also import your sancho with a shorter name like `_s` with `import sancho as _s` so it's shorter to type

I'm probably saying things you already know, but just in case...

Reactions: SovietRev

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
Maybe you can write some defensive code to reference every function off your own module `sancho` like `sancho.re` and `sancho.zip` as aliases to the default python libs. You could define a bunch of aliases in your `__init__.py` simply as `import zip` and `import re` etc and then just load the dir that contains your `__init__.py`, say, `sancho`, and use those aliases `import sancho` to reference `sancho.zip`. you could also import your sancho with a shorter name like `_s` with `import sancho as _s` so it's shorter to type

I'm probably saying things you already know, but just in case...
Well, considering this is only the second time it's ever happened it's not worth the hassle of trying to alter every single Python function possibility. Since one can import functions there's literally hundreds that would need to be accounted for... not worth it imo. Plus it opens the door for odd bugs in the future with aliases that I'd rather not open up that can of worms. I'll deal with the oddball VN every once in a while in lieu of all that hassle.

Otherwise, it is kinda funny I got outsmarted by a fictional talking goat for ~3hrs. That's a first. :ROFLMAO:

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
plot-wise it really felt like that split was meant to be a flavor thing only for that specific situation (plus an opportunity for an extra point with whichever girl you went with), I didn't get the impression that it was meant to have any far-reaching effects based on how cleanly the paths merged back together with minor dialogue differences. But of course you never know, this is Caribdis so anything's possible.
I'll take your word on that... but I'll track down all the variables to insure. It's easy enough for me to split proper though if there's an outlier... I'll simply ask the Player who their preferred LI is and only make those fork variables count and negate the other fork (the split bonus fork). That's the theory I've used in the past with other VN's anyway and it works rather seamless.

Mr. Spam Yeet

Aug 16, 2022
Hey Sancho, was about to start playing the new update only to realise the mod I had installed wasn't yours. Came here and saw what the situation was. Still confused and frustrated as to why F95 just don't put your mod front and center as it is easily the best one, but whatever. Take your time and update the mod man, your work matters more! XD

SovietRev

Jul 25, 2021
Its really weird how Eternum is NOT the first game I have noticed where Sancho has a mod for it and it is not on the main page. Like I am 99% sure anyone who has played a game with Sanchomod vs any other mod can unanimously agree that it is just the best thing out there. Having to search for "<enter VN name> sancho" for every game is just silly. Do mods have some beef with you or something?

hth2m1

May 28, 2018
Its really weird how Eternum is NOT the first game I have noticed where Sancho has a mod for it and it is not on the main page. Like I am 99% sure anyone who has played a game with Sanchomod vs any other mod can unanimously agree that it is just the best thing out there. Having to search for "<enter VN name> sancho" for every game is just silly. Do mods have some beef with you or something?
Just a bit of a tip, if you use f95checker you can add the sanchomod threads for the games you use it on to your list and get updates on them releasing that way. Of course that only helps for games you already know have one, less helpful if you want to see if a new game you just started playing has one of his mods.

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020

GOAT'd:
1711131911207.png 1711133521988.png

The first screen is fully hotspotted with sound FX. The second I'll flesh out so the Player is fully informed of the split scenario as well as a third option to go back in case they changed their mind and don't want to use this split.

My thought is to code the alt scene (the split bonus) first, then get the Player back on track with the preferred LI scene into the final merge so it's a seamless as possible. In other words in the split the Player would see the bonus split first that they would otherwise not see, then continue the VN on the preferred path as if the split scene never occurred.

Edit: updated screenshots

Last edited:

hth2m1

May 28, 2018
GOAT'd:
View attachment 3469145 View attachment 3469226

The first screen is fully hotspotted with sound FX. The second I'll flesh out so the Player is fully informed of the split scenario as well as a third option to go back in case they changed their mind and don't want to use this split.

My thought is to code the alt scene (the split bonus) first, then get the Player back on track with the preferred LI scene into the final merge so it's a seamless as possible. In other words in the split the Player would see the bonus split first that they would otherwise not see, then continue the VN on the preferred path as if the split scene never occurred.

I think that makes sense, that pretty accurately reflects the way I already do splits like these where I'll choose the path I don't think I want as my "real" choice first to play through it, then go back and do the one I really wanted and go on from there.

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
GOAT'd:
View attachment 3469145 View attachment 3469226

Just so I insure the Player is absolutely clear of what is going on (and what will NOT be awarded when complete) I've added some additional dynamic code to the ChoiceGuide. For example - If the guide notes the Player is in the non-preferred LI scene then they will see this (note the "SanchoNote"):
1711136953213.png

Otherwise if it is the preferred LI's scene (or the Player chose not to utilize the SanchoSplit) then they will see the normal guide (without the SanchoNote):
1711137044530.png

I've also placed the usual "Split scene 1 of 2"/"Split scene 2 of 2" like always. Anyway, just know I'm keeping you informed so you don't get lost or confused if the SanchoSplit is chosen as to what is and what isn't happening... that's how we roll.

GrammerCop

Donor
Mar 15, 2020
Sancho1969, I hadn't realized until the last couple of pages in this thread, that I downloaded Lightman's mod for 6.2 instead of yours. This is an oversight that is being corrected now.

Reactions: Sancho1969

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
damn, so I gotta pick a best girl now?
Well, either that or save at the split beginning and make two saves, one per max LI going forward. Your choice. Doing this is the same as if I didn't make a split at all... but I'm not going to allow unpure playthroughs as much as possible during split scenes so as not to fuck up anything in the future. I've always worked this way and why my mods are trusted on even the largest production VN's available.

Other modders just make many split scenes and don't account for anything... and there's a high percentage chance that your playthrough will be completely fucked up sooner or later. Remember the JillBananna fiasco and complete save failures of hundreds of folks who used another mod for BaDIK. I fixed all that for those folks that decided to migrate to SanchoMod... but the point still stands: it's my responsibility that if I offer a feature that it doesn't wipe you out. That is a recipe for a complete failure of trust... and I value the trust of folks I've earned over the years.

So, long-winded way of saying yes... at a minimum pick your fave LI during splits. At least I allow you to see both sections without having to play twice from reloading old saves, right?

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
Sancho1969, I hadn't realized until the last couple of pages in this thread, that I downloaded Lightman's mod for 6.2 instead of yours. This is an oversight that is being corrected now.
Well good on Lightman then bud. If you didn't notice then he's either upped his coding game considerably or you just don't use many of the features in SanchoMod (or something else I can't think of). At the end of the day I could really care less who uses what or if they use a mod at all. I do care that mods get buried into the unknown due to unlisting... coding a high production, massive feature list such as this mod takes hundreds of manhours plus constant upkeep, so if folks don't even know it exists (and something they might be interested in using) then it's a failure of the site imho.

You have to be an adult to sign up to the site, why then treat site members like children that can't decide for themselves (because the addons aren't listed)? But I digress... and I need to get back to it.

Apologies for venting and I hope this mod meets your expectations. I'm honored you folks take the time and appreciate the work I ultimately do for myself and it finds a way to benefit others as well. That's a win-win in my book. Besides, I need the good karma :ROFLMAO:.

5.00 star(s) 9 Votes