Lunasmeow

Jul 22, 2017
She definitely looks down on nonelves for not being elves...
...Clearly some people can't tell the difference between simple arrogance and actual racism.

Also, when one race has magic and the others don't... that is a factual, measurable difference that makes a race "better".

Same reason we're "better" than most animals - we have something they don't, sentience. It's plain facts. Now when there's no actuall appreciable difference... then it's racism rather than a genuine measurement.

We humans "look down" on other "races" here on earth. It's why we think of them as "pets" or "pests" or other such things. We just also stupidly claim to have different "races" of humans, when we're so close as to be barely different breeds, and often not different enough for that even... it's pathetic.

As a person who actually has experienced real racism? She's nowhere near racist. Racists don't feel indebted to those they hate when they are saved by them. They are pissed at their world-view being shit on, and take out that anger on their saviour regardless of the debt.

sexypeanut

Jun 30, 2020
Her grandma was the only person in her entire life that showed Alex kindness without asking anything in return. Of course she'll be attached to her memory and will talk to her as if she was still around - but she knows her grandma isn't. Her grandma's memory is her way to escape the bitterness of life and have some way to vent her most secret tthoughts to someone trustworthy.
It's pretty similar to a person that visits his/her parent(s)/spouse/child(ren)'s grave(s) and talk to them about what's been going in his/her life.

Phase_01

Nov 27, 2021
Damn am I on twitter rn? Why did ppl suddenly start thinking Calypso is racist lol

She's arrogant and prideful cuz of her royal stature and difference in race (actual race not this fake race shit we have as human beings), but arrogance and ego can be outgrown. She just sounds like someone that's been sheltered her whole life and knows nothing of the outside world and other species.

People can change lol, even if she was a racist she can learn that she's wrong, its called character development lol

Lunasmeow

Jul 22, 2017
I'd argue that....
"Most" is the operative word there. But sure, you could argue it, but I'm talking about humanity in general, not individuals. Individuals can all decide anything no matter how wild or crazy it might be - whether they're right or wrong. If we're talking individual definitions instead of general accepted ones, there's no reason to talk because we can just twist anything to mean anything. It's stupid and a waste of time to do. It's a trick people use to argue the inarguable.

Regardless, differences between species are fun. It's actual diversity. Unlike the fake diversity that demands everything be smothered in the grey expanse of "sameness". You can't have diversity without "difference".

I like stories where elves are "better" than humans and we step up to the plate anyway. I also like "Humanity, Fuck Yeah!" stories where humans are the most dangerous species in the universe because we come from a level ten deathworld. Why? Simple:

Differences make stories interesting. Unlike some others in this thead (not you, AFAIK, but others have done this) I'm not so pathetic that I need to argue about a fantasy race not being better than my own. That's just insecurity to the fucking extreme. I mean shit... a race that has magic, lives longer, and in all other ways has everything we do, but it can't be "better" than us?

Delusional at best, inscure patheticism at worst. Especially when the MC is probably going to somehow be one of these "Eldari". There's just no need for it. It's ridiculous for people to be so weak in their own self-image that they have to argue that a fictional race can't possibly be "better" than them. That's just a new level of loser.

Besides, actual racism would be that game where the black people are literally the result of white people fucking orcs. There's a game like that on this site. It's fucked up. Which is a shame, because the game itself is pretty good. But for the author to have decided to make that a thing in the game... What a waste.

Last edited:

Nullbot

Aug 27, 2018
Are people seriously arguing Calypso is not racist?

Come on, folks, there's a reason "fantastic racism" is such a prevalent trope in fantasy works, to the point that it can be found in Lord of the Rings, the foundation of the modern version of the genre (hell, it created "fantasy" as a marketing category). Asimov used this storytelling technique in sci-fi, too; hell, we could even argue Aesop himself includes this in some of his stories.

So yes, she's racist. Not in a way that can be replicated in reality, but a racist nonetheless. That doesn't mean she can't grow out of it (and given the way this game is written, I'd say that is essentially a given), that people are trying to "cancel" her or that those who like her need to be shamed. Trying to defend her by saying the she's just arrogant feels incredibly disingenuous, though.

Last edited:

jackdragonchaos

Jun 22, 2019
eh calypso is calypso beside we all still gonna plough her anyway, also she'll probably change some or a lot later on or dies at some point saving the others. we don't know yet.

i'm more curious if this one will end better than the other game

Reactions: fraazx

Dorfnutter

Engaged Member
May 21, 2017
As a person who actually has experienced real racism? She's nowhere near racist. Racists don't feel indebted to those they hate when they are saved by them. They are pissed at their world-view being shit on, and take out that anger on their saviour regardless of the debt.
Her characterization is consistent with the "racist" elf trope though (i.e. sees other races as "inferior," believe that interracial relations are "forbidden," sees protagonist/s as "unique" or an "oddity" that make/s them stand out from their kind which elf continues to see as inferior). Granted, it's nowhere near close to actual racism, but the trope does exist, and this game's story is essentially a landfill of tropes (not that there's anything wrong with that). :whistle:

Reactions: Nullbot and fraazx

MAGO-DAG

Engaged Member
Sep 1, 2023
It's stupid to talk about her tattoos and call she "Creepy" while sitting in the comments. Each character has different looks and traits
sometimes we ourselves talk to our imaginations and loved ones who left early to find the answer and calm the soul. :whistle::coffee:

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

"Wrong"

Formerly 'My cum is white as snow'
Jun 10, 2022
Her grandma was the only person in her entire life that showed Alex kindness without asking anything in return. Of course she'll be attached to her memory and will talk to her as if she was still around - but she knows her grandma isn't. Her grandma's memory is her way to escape the bitterness of life and have some way to vent her most secret tthoughts to someone trustworthy.
It's pretty similar to a person that visits his/her parent(s)/spouse/child(ren)'s grave(s) and talk to them about what's been going in his/her life.
the main thing is that she doesn't start talking to her during sex suddenly one day.

It's stupid to talk about her tattoos and call she "Creepy" while sitting in the comments. Each character has different looks and traits
sometimes we ourselves talk to our imaginations and loved ones who left early to find the answer and calm the soul. :whistle::coffee:

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
No, it's not stupid. I have the right to express my opinion. Especially since I did it without insults.

Just replayed the game an unhealthy amount of times (both to collect theorycrafting material and to cope with the withdrawals). Nothing special. :whistle:
I wish you to restore your psyche.

Last edited by a moderator:
4.80 star(s) 929 Votes