DrDerpington

Oct 6, 2017
That was absolutely amazing! And for a 0.1 release no less!
I'm just a little doubtful about the update cycle if the dev aims to keep up this level of quality.
Must be like 2 updates a year if he's fast. I'm not really familiar with his previous works and the schedule there.
His first game (Once in a Lifetime) had approximate release schedule every 2-3 months. Around 5 updates every year, so its okay. Also there was 2 months pause between his last release of OiaL and Eternum, so I guess he will keep his schedule.

I especially dislike those devs who release an update every single month with minimal new content, so a bigger updates every few months is preferable.

On the side note: There have been some rumour about an Epilogue to OiaL. If that turns out to be truth then next release of Eternum might get delayed, but after that dev should probably go back to his usual schedule.

Last edited:

buff

May 29, 2017
His first game (Once in a Lifetime) had approximate release schedule every 2-3 months. Around 5 updates every year, so its okay. Also there was 2 months pause between his last release of OiaL and Eternum, so I guess he will keep his schedule.

I especially dislike those devs who release an update every single month with minimal new content, so a bigger updates every few months is preferable.

On the side note: There have been some rumour about an Epilogue to OiaL. If that turns out to be truth then next release of Eternum might get delayed, but after that dev should probably go back to his usual schedule.
Cool, good to know, thanks.

I disagree on the fewer/better-- if a few months go by I have forgotten everything about the game, since I tend to only play them when a new update comes out. Besides, devs with long release cycles are more likely to miss deadlines and produce less total content, in my experience. (Bigger/slower releases mean a higher overall % of their time spent debugging.)

DrDerpington

Oct 6, 2017

I disagree on the fewer/better-- if a few months go by I have forgotten everything about the game, since I tend to only play them when a new update comes out. Besides, devs with long release cycles are more likely to miss deadlines and produce less total content, in my experience. (Bigger/slower releases mean a higher overall % of their time spent debugging.)
Although I agree that way too long break (like 6 months and more) is bad, but 2-4 months is acceptable. My memory is not that bad.

So far Caribdis has been consistent with his schedule. Usually you could see new update every 2 months (in a really rare cases 3 months break).

Reactions: buff

DirtyMario

Jumping bitches since '85
Donor
Jul 19, 2017
Although I agree that way too long break (like 6 months and more) is bad, but 2-4 months is acceptable. My memory is not that bad.

So far Caribdis has been consistent with his schedule. Usually you could see new update every 2 months (in a really rare cases 3 months break).
As I said I'm not familiar with his previous game but did that also have this frequency and quality of animations? I mean, churning out a number of renders and text is one thing but making these sequences takes a long ass time.

Reactions: Caribdis

zerdeca

Jun 15, 2017
Not a rumor. It's been confirmed by the dev for a while now. I believe the original plan was to do the epilogue after the first Eternum update but I don't think there's been any news on whether or not it's been pushed back (I'd understand if it was since this game was received very well and he might want to capitalize on that)
As I said I'm not familiar with his previous game but did that also have this number and quality of animations? I mean, churning out a number of renders and text is one thing but making these sequences takes a long ass time.
If a game is made using Honey Select (like this one is) it doesn't take time to render like it does in something like Daz or Blender. He still needs to set up the scenes but it takes a lot less time since you don't have to wait hours for a 30 second animation

Reactions: rateezy

neverthy

Apr 23, 2019
So you basically will be laying in your bed and play VR game? Doesn't sound very enticing even if it is caribdis.

dolfe67

Forum Fanatic
Apr 25, 2020
So you basically will be laying in your bed and play VR game? Doesn't sound very enticing even if it is caribdis.
Did you miss when you go to school ? There will be IRL too (Penelope's photoshoot, etc.) it's only the first installment

Reactions: Mr Secret

faradhii

Sep 8, 2019
Also (yes, I'm sure it's been said above but I'm not wading through 26 pages) did anyone hear "Let the hunt for Halliday's Easter Egg begin"? :)

Reactions: LeonJKennedy

DiskMatter

Dec 16, 2017
Great start to the game, I played the Dev's last game when it was already complete, it was such a great game, main things being a brilliant story and top notch humor, so I am expecting those from Eternum too.

Only diassapointment was it was way too short, is it early to ask for next update Caribdis? Or the full game? Lol, it gonna be a long wait, I knew I shouldn't have played it just yet.

And Caribdis, thanks for making a game with good story and humor in both your last one and this, keep it up man, and I am loving the simple animations of zooming the camera in between conversations etc. That is a nice touch. And start drinking more coffee, I don't want you to sleep from now on and delaying updates, lol.

Last edited:

rateezy

Apr 15, 2018
What an amazing game honestly, love the Vordt of boreal valley humor, definitely one of the best, if not the best game on this site right now.

• Red Heart
Reactions: Caribdis

Jasticus

Oct 23, 2018
This is the third game that I see like 2 and 3 star reviews on the first version because of "lack of content"?

An hour of content for the first version is plenty and expecting half a story in 3 months of development feels kinda stupid.
Yeah, one of the latest reviews really made me chuckle because of the 'Its cyberpunk and it takes me a lot to get into that'... except it isn't. It's a game about all kinds of different worlds, cyberpunk is just one of them. But then will vote 5 stars on Artemis even though its cyberpunk, but it has a 'good story'. That will be up to each individual, and yeah I played Artemis but i wasn't exactly blown away by it myself. Doesn't mean I'm going to go and rate it 2 or 3 stars because it doesn't rustle my jimmies.

Some people have to reach hard to want to prop up the games they really like while tearing down others, I guess? Personally I wouldnt vote any game less than 4 stars within the first 2 or 3 releases. If i didn't like it, i wouldn't vote on it.

Alandir

Aug 18, 2021

As a software developer I can tell you that it is quite the opposite. The shorter the time between builds, the more time will generally be spent fixing bugs. Because a large part of fixing bugs is finding the bugs in the first place.
It is good practice to have regular working builds, but the reason for that is that it makes working in large teams easier.

You are not wrong that long release cycles can lead to problems. But the reason for that is its much harder to predict how long making large amounts of content will take, so chances are more devs that do this will predict too low dev times leading to missed deadlines. Long release cycles can also lead to feature creep, when the devs think they can achieve a lot more than they are capable of based on the long time until the next release is due.

Reactions: Machete

bacienvu88

Aug 3, 2021
Some people have to reach hard to want to prop up the games they really like while tearing down others, I guess? Personally I wouldnt vote any game less than 4 stars within the first 2 or 3 releases. If i didn't like it, i wouldn't vote on it.
Didn't you know that the best way to say "I love you" to somebody is to insult everyone else? /s

Uriel ☁

Nov 28, 2017
This is the third game that I see like 2 and 3 star reviews on the first version because of "lack of content"?
I think the reason for that is that this game is actually 9th on this site based on weighted rating (basically review score) and was 6th last week.

Newbies picking games from that list, containing many beloved completed and long-running games, stumble upon Eternum and yeah, it's no surprise it appears to have little content compared to the others.

4.80 star(s) 932 Votes