Dorfnutter

Engaged Member
May 21, 2017
Within the mythology, it never really ends well for Orion. He pretty much dies in each version and Artemis turns him into a constellation. (Permanently stuck in Eternum? as CEO?) Orion is then destined to forever hunt the Pleiades in the sky. The Pleiades are 7 "sisters" (stars). Annie, Alex, Darci, Penelope, Nova, Nancy, Luna. The 7 stars. Maybe?
Dalia, not Darci. Darci would be that crazy tomboy from "Ripples" who feels like if that game's MC's best bro happened to be a best girl as well.

As for your theory, I feel like you've stumbled upon another source of inspiration/material for the story itself, the other one being Homer's "Odyssey" (as well as other snippets snatched here and there from the Greek myths). That is, there may be allusions to the source itself, but it doesn't necessarily mean that it has to play out/end the same way (after all, the Orion myth never mentioned anything about a bunch of possibly-dead/possibly-spiritual entities calling themselves the Syndicate who're trying to guide the aforementioned individual during the course of his journey. Whether they're trying to prevent him from suffering a fate they have foreseen/experienced or they're there to guide him towards said suffering is still debatable at this point though).

Also, a few things:

-I feel like Alex is a Caribdiverse take on Artemis the same way some characters named after mythological characters are. That being they're not a 1:1 representation of the myth, but a chunk of their character is inspired from the source material (i.e. Alex having shapeshifting powers like Artemis, Calypso being the one trapped in Ogygia instead of the one who traps people, Thanatos' entire existence screaming "YOU ARE GOING TO DIE" whenever he pops up)

-Also, going back to Alex, I feel like Calypso's words to her during their first encounter might actually be foreshadowing but not in the way the princess might have thought. That being Alex and Axel are descendants of some powerful Eternum native who crossed over reality/the material plane at some point in the past and mingled with the locals, with the twins being the latest of said bloodline

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Based on the Space Station audio logs from Andromeda, the disturbing implications regarding one of the NPCs in the Ulysses party, and Orion's own weird dreams, it's heavily implied that Eternum is the Caribdiverse version of the Astral Sea/Plane*...which is fitting IMO considering the themes and references of death, reality, eternal recurrence, and the constellation stuff that seem to be prevalent in this game's story.

*For the unfamiliar, the Astral Sea/Plane is mentioned in esoteric and religious texts (and Dungeons and Dragons and other literature in the fantasy genre) as a plane of existence where spirits go when they die in the real world/material plane and where dreamers go when they dream. During the Classical era it is also thought of as space (yeah, space, you know...that black abyss with all them twinkly bits) and is inhabited by various immaterial beings. That being said, this place isn't the afterlife, but rather THE terminal to many afterlives. For the living, there are various ways to travel there: meditation, dreaming, various drugs, experiencing near-death, etc. but they're never always...consistent. Regardless, you don't exactly travel there with a living body, but with an astral projection, a copy of your body of sorts that is controlled by your consciousness/soul. This copy, however, is imperfect, as in most texts it usually comes in the form of a floating blur or an orb of light or non-solid variant of one's self that can see or hear but can't touch.

And yes, this basically implies that the neural implant tech is some magitech method of creating a "solid" astral projection that's used to physically experience the Astral Plane. That, or as one poster mentioned in this thread, body-hopping through your various versions from different realities (which I heavily doubt but eh).

Reactions: notBatman747

Dorfnutter

Engaged Member
May 21, 2017
I like that the male protag is ugly. Helps me immerse myself more LOL.
Do people really find Orion (MC) ugly? Granted his pre-timeskip hair is shite (at least for me) but I find his face to be a lot more good-looking compared to most HS/HS2 protagonists that I've come across (yes, this includes OIAL's MC even with the haircut). Certainly makes it more believable for the girls to fall for him/have a crush on him, at the very least.

Dorfnutter

Engaged Member
May 21, 2017
I'd have to read more mythology to respond to that, haha. But essentially you're saying it's Limbo?
I deliberately refrained from mentioning limbo/purgatory because the concept is wholly different from the Astral Plane (albeit they share some similarities). For one, you can't access limbo through dreaming (unless said dreamer died in his sleep and he's actually a wandering soul than a dreamer...but I doubt it since the Space Station audio logs deliberately mentioned that Eternum can be accessed through dreaming). Another is that limbo is more of a prison rather than a gateway to varying worlds/realities/afterlives compared to the Astral Plane (though in Eternum that seems to be a plot point at the moment given the implication about NPCs and a certain temple named after a certain river of the Greek underworld being closed and needing 10 gems to be opened...or so a certain blind overseer is claiming).

I'm guessing Jerry's going to be that certain someone given that his running gag atm is getting himself killed on a constant basis.

• Haha
Reactions: ArDZer

Dorfnutter

Engaged Member
May 21, 2017
Well, i guess i don't want to trap myself in terminology. Anyway, the inspiration of this game derives from multiple eschatologies. After all, Alex's Grandmother gave her a necklace with a Jesus cross.

Basically all the rules of this "Astral Plane" probably don't apply to a game like this. The dev doesn't seem to be mimicking ancient lore, but instead creating a story that somewhat fits in the framework.
Well we know that some rules apply at least (i.e. dreaming as an inconsistent means of being able to access Eternum long before the neural implants were a thing).

Rovenant

Apr 18, 2021
In my last theory (
I don't want to spoil anyone so I'll warn you here that you will see a lot (I hope) of hidden clues in my post. If you didn't play 0.4 I recommend you to avoid reading my post. Any other please I would love to read all your comments or theories.

) here I avoided every relation with the names in the game with every reference in mythology. The reason was a simple one, I tried to use the info inside the game itself before attempting to make correlations with "our" mythology.

But today Ill try to use at least some info so we can all go more crazy with our theories. Ill talk about Hyas, Dione and Calypso, and then talk about the message that the Syndicate gave us. So, Ill avoid talking about Ogigia (because some of you already said a lot) or Thanatos. But feel free to share anything (or correct me).

We have A LOT of references to Greek culture or mythology, and im not talking only about names, we have concepts like destiny, and even statues/sculptures, so there is a lot but Ill talk about some of them.

Dione is the weakest of the 'Weapons of Atlas', or at least thats what they said, in mythology Hyas is the figure that represents a father/brother for the hyades, a group of nymphs (and in this group we can find Dione). Not only that, but the hyades are related to rain, being this an important concept in Kredon.

In Greek mythology the butterflies are related to the psyche, the soul (maybe a metaphor of the souls that travels to Eternum?).
The goddess of the Moon (Selene) is represented, in Greek culture, by a moth, and that goddess, in Roman culture was called Luna.

Calypso name means "to conceal" or "to hide", and that was the way we found her, she was the only weapon of Atlas that was hidden in a place where no one was supposed to find her.

Now the Syndicate message: askion kataskion lix tetrax damnameneus aision or aisia

If you google it you will find that those are Greek formulas called Ephesia Grammata. I tried to find more about this topic and how it was used, but I only found two references that Ill put here:
1- Ephesia Grammata has a meaning like a curse

2- but another chance related to protection

And here some interpretations about the meaning of the words

Earth-Year-Sun could be something about cycles, as the one that we keep repeating, and the "darkness" could be abour our "skill", being it related to brightness, so nothing evil or good in its own.
There is a lot of possible metaphors here, like the way that the Founder has white hair with white clothes, Idriel white hair and dark clothes, and the woman from our nightmares both dark hair and clothes (and even the "dark Idriel" version in the flash in the Rome server).

Im not even sure that the "head or tail" game with the coin that Idriel was playing was "just a game". She tried some times to gave us info but we didnt ask the right questions (as she said), so what if she was trying to give us a hint about something? like related to Eternum and Uroboros? head of the snake or tail of a snake, and if you think of Uroboros eating her own tail... even Eternum logo is an Uroboros version, and we saw that at the end of the chapter and with the Syndicate letter

But I just wanted to post this info to you all. There are A LOT of info that I still dont know where to link it, like the background in the flashes (first time) we can see Benjamin (being in a strange place, but Ill go with the theory about him being used after death as an npc, so maybe the background was that place), then a Praetorian, but it doesnt look like the alley where Benjamin was excom..., and then Thanatos in a place that looks like a terrace or something like that, and finally the Founder where we can see some letters, but where is he? (
).

dotritch

Apr 23, 2019
Can anyone tell the difference between 0.4 Beta and the official 0.4? I might just skip it if the difference is not really noticeable since my internet is quite limited

Ozygator

Engaged Member
Donor
Oct 15, 2016
In my last theory (

) here I avoided every relation with the names in the game with every reference in mythology. The reason was a simple one, I tried to use the info inside the game itself before attempting to make correlations with "our" mythology.

But today Ill try to use at least some info so we can all go more crazy with our theories. Ill talk about Hyas, Dione and Calypso, and then talk about the message that the Syndicate gave us. So, Ill avoid talking about Ogigia (because some of you already said a lot) or Thanatos. But feel free to share anything (or correct me).

We have A LOT of references to Greek culture or mythology, and im not talking only about names, we have concepts like destiny, and even statues/sculptures, so there is a lot but Ill talk about some of them.

Dione is the weakest of the 'Weapons of Atlas', or at least thats what they said, in mythology Hyas is the figure that represents a father/brother for the hyades, a group of nymphs (and in this group we can find Dione). Not only that, but the hyades are related to rain, being this an important concept in Kredon.

In Greek mythology the butterflies are related to the psyche, the soul (maybe a metaphor of the souls that travels to Eternum?).
The goddess of the Moon (Selene) is represented, in Greek culture, by a moth, and that goddess, in Roman culture was called Luna.

Calypso name means "to conceal" or "to hide", and that was the way we found her, she was the only weapon of Atlas that was hidden in a place where no one was supposed to find her.

Now the Syndicate message: askion kataskion lix tetrax damnameneus aision or aisia

If you google it you will find that those are Greek formulas called Ephesia Grammata. I tried to find more about this topic and how it was used, but I only found two references that Ill put here:
1- Ephesia Grammata has a meaning like a curse

2- but another chance related to protection

And here some interpretations about the meaning of the words

Earth-Year-Sun could be something about cycles, as the one that we keep repeating, and the "darkness" could be abour our "skill", being it related to brightness, so nothing evil or good in its own.
There is a lot of possible metaphors here, like the way that the Founder has white hair with white clothes, Idriel white hair and dark clothes, and the woman from our nightmares both dark hair and clothes (and even the "dark Idriel" version in the flash in the Rome server).

Im not even sure that the "head or tail" game with the coin that Idriel was playing was "just a game". She tried some times to gave us info but we didnt ask the right questions (as she said), so what if she was trying to give us a hint about something? like related to Eternum and Uroboros? head of the snake or tail of a snake, and if you think of Uroboros eating her own tail... even Eternum logo is an Uroboros version, and we saw that at the end of the chapter and with the Syndicate letter

But I just wanted to post this info to you all. There are A LOT of info that I still dont know where to link it, like the background in the flashes (first time) we can see Benjamin (being in a strange place, but Ill go with the theory about him being used after death as an npc, so maybe the background was that place), then a Praetorian, but it doesnt look like the alley where Benjamin was excom..., and then Thanatos in a place that looks like a terrace or something like that, and finally the Founder where we can see some letters, but where is he? (
).
Nice write up...

Thoughts on the Syndicate.. Are they all those who have been excommunicated before? Did you imply earlier which character is Charon?

I am likely wrong but I thought there was a myth about fate and a coin, but could be too many other games and movies that had it in there.

• Thinking Face
Reactions: Rovenant

An known

Sep 16, 2021
Luna's Father (Mr. Hernandez) could be keeping a big secret? maybe also Luna

We know that the "Lady in Black" has red eyes and the only person in the game that has a red eyes is Luna. Luna mention that she inherited her eyes from her grandmother:
It's also stated that the red eyes came from her father's side so there are chances that his father (Mr. Hernandez) has a relation to the "Lady in Black".
We know that the first time we see the "Lady in Black" we see her in a church and it's also shown that it is the same place in Dark Arts quest (in Warthogs) it is also mentioned that the Church (Warthogs) were once a property of a cult. So there's a chance that the "Lady in Black" is once a member of a cult.
Also Alex slipped a story about their work (about a cult) that there's a group of person that sacrifices a human to an ancient demon. Could this be the one of the practices that the cult?
and also those places could be a place were the cult and the "Lady in Black" were once living
This started my suspicion that Mr. Hernandez is keeping something big,
What is his relation to the Lady in Black?
Why does he know things about dead body?
(to just make a joke?)
Does Luna's father once killed a man before or take care of a dead body?
I have a suspicion that he was once a member of high persons in Eternum or he could be Mr. Mos or member of a cult (the cult sacrifices humans to demon) also knowing that there is a chance that the "Lady in Black" is related to Luna's father he could be once a member of the cult or it is a family thing.

Why does everytime Luna bring Orion somewhere The Syndicate shows up? (coincidence?)
We only see a Member of Syndicate twice, First Red Herring and Second in the House (where they planned the heist) And these places were places were Luna bring them. Is Luna and Mr. Hernandez is planning something? (knowing that Luna can foresee the future) Are they really related or either connected from a cult? Could she have been manipulated or controlled? Is everything just is a coincidence?

In the Dark Arts when her mother was copied she said these words:
Does this suppose to mean something?
We know that Luna said that she didn't say anything about her power, but if she inherited the Red Eyes from her Father side there's a chance that this ability is passed from their ancestors(and their family at least know about this) and his ancestors were once a members of the cult. Does he really use Luna? or it's just him. Does the death of Mr. Hernandez wife make him stop doing practices from the cult? (maybe he does something like this in the past and stopped).

And why there's a deer in Luna's house, In the Horror House(Red Herring), and in the House where they planned the Heist

Deer could represent many things, could be being hunted or spiritual authority.
Does this supposed to mean that they are connected to Spirits or dead people? Or Mr. Hernandez or their family were once
a member of a cult and Mr. Hernandez could be one of the forerunners of Eternum and using it by excommunicating people and sacrificing them.

Mr. Hernandez and his family is hiding something big they could be the victim, forerunner, and the enemy or the ally

4.80 star(s) 908 Votes