HogRocket

Engaged Member
Jun 8, 2020
The same thing happened to me, except my name is usually Alex. So I was a bit confused at first when a girl called Alex turned up.
I have a couple of names I use, I picked "Alex" for this one.......had to restart and just kept the default :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

starkj

May 17, 2022
I never use my real name because it doesnt fit the setting since most games are set in the US, England and others Japan.

• Thinking Face
Reactions: HogRocket

wintershell

Aug 1, 2019
One of the better Ren'Py VNs I've played.
Excited for the next release.
Also my default name for these games is just "cunt".

SpyderArachnid

Jul 31, 2017
All my names come from Resident Evil lol. Been using Ethan the most (Ethan Winters), and if it gets taken, then I just switch to a new one (Leon, Chris, etc, even got a Wesker). Do the same with femprotag games as well (Jill, Claire, Ada, etc). Never use my real name as I'm not a self-insert type when it comes to these (feels weird to me).

ArDZer

Feb 20, 2019
All my names come from Resident Evil lol. Been using Ethan the most (Ethan Winters), and if it gets taken, then I just switch to a new one (Leon, Chris, etc, even got a Wesker). Do the same with femprotag games as well (Jill, Claire, Ada, etc). Never use my real name as I'm not a self-insert type when it comes to these (feels weird to me).
Isn't Annie's surname Winters? I believe it is.

SpyderArachnid

Jul 31, 2017
Isn't Annie's surname Winters? I believe it is.
Yup yup. But I don't use the Winters last name. Most games don't have last names, so I just stick with the Ethan part. But when it does have one, I'll just make one up. So far I've stuck with Ethan Merchant. Got Merchant from the merchant in Resident Evil 4 lol. So just combined the two to get Ethan Merchant.

Been lucky so far that most games don't use the name Ethan, or Merchant as a last name, so the name has been working out. Except for Intertwined, which cause me to switch to Leon Kennedy lol. Oh and STWA: Unbroken. Cause I used Ethan for the previous game (The Author), and since that MC was in Unbroken, had to pick a new one for the new MC (went with Chris Redfield, as it seemed fitting).

Last edited:
Reactions: ArDZer

bingolebongo

May 15, 2020
I'm picturing you playing as Nemesis going "STAAAAAAARS" whenever the protag says something.

dolfe67

Forum Fanatic
Apr 25, 2020
Yeah, I hate when I use BiggusDickus and the best girl have the exact name. And then I'm the only one with a big dick! Horrible, frightful even.
Not sure how to take that post. In any case there are games where you're not the only male on earth and can meet your namesake which is confusing, or a few genderless names like Alex actually.

Son of Durin

Engaged Member
Jul 5, 2021
The same thing happened to me, except my name is usually Alex. So I was a bit confused at first when a girl called Alex turned up.
I use Wyatt, so unless I'm playing a western themed game, I'm unlikely to run into it. ;)

Wyatt Marshall, and if I get to name my best girl, she's going to be Josie.

If you don't get it, I'm sorry, but you're a daisy if you do.

Reactions: SpyderArachnid

Son of Durin

Engaged Member
Jul 5, 2021
If you were a self-insert type, you could claim that you can when someone tells you to go fuck yourself. ;)

But, honestly, I don't think anyone has or wants that kind of flexibility.

• Haha
Reactions: SpyderArachnid

Psykoman1978

Mar 21, 2022
sometimes i name my mc after chris beard Pussy Tickler
you know it was fun when mc´s mom/landlady etc say´s and this is my son/tenant Pussy

Reactions: Elhemeer

Elhemeer

Forum Fanatic
Jun 20, 2022
Every games should check the names you input and refuses it if there is already a NPC with the same name.
Or give you a joke name like Bare Witness does (although that's only if you chose the MC's "real" name)

Aug 15, 2021
Every games should check the names you input and refuses it if there is already a NPC with the same name.
Given these games are still under development that would be impossible to do. While most competent devs usually have a story mapped out beforehand, they may not have finalized all the finer details such as side character names etc which is 100% reasonable. The dev does not know what name you are going to choose so there is no way to futureproof this - you can implement this check in version 1 but you cannot do this in version 10 unless the game forces the player to rename which can break immersion.

If similarly named NPCs bother you then you should just go with the default name (if the game offers one) because that is the one name that is guaranteed to be unique. In this case the default name is Orion so just choose that.

4.80 star(s) 912 Votes