ChaozEnigma

Jun 18, 2019
I know this is a long shot and probably i am horribly wrong......Dont you guys think alot of the reviews have a little bit of same style to them?

alot of them contain at least these points or similar
- Best game/best from the developer/developer's make another good one/banger from developer
- Dissing honey select games yet this one is different/doubt about 3d/doubt about honeyselect models.

Well i hope its nothing though, coz i like this game.

Reactions: zbunk

Dorfnutter

Engaged Member
May 21, 2017
I know this is a long shot and probably i am horribly wrong......Dont you guys think alot of the reviews have a little bit of same style to them?

- Best game/best from the developer/developer's make another good one/banger from developer
- Dissing honey select games yet this one is different/doubt about 3d/doubt about honeyselect models.

A lot of the folks posting reviews prolly just want to rate but don't want to sit down and write their own thoughts so they just look for a template matching their thoughts, modify it a bit, then post.

Granted, some are taken down by mods who comb through the new reviews (mainly some of the one-sentence ones which I've seen before they got nuked. Not all are quickly removed though I believe), likely because they violated the review guidelines or such, so not every "perfect 5/5" review is left unscathed.

zbunk

Jul 7, 2021

yeah they tend to be a bit strange, combing through them you can even see some of them repeat not to mention every 4+ stars review is liked by caribdis while others are not. it comes of as disingenuous and i'd be lying if i said i didn't smell something fishy going on here.

also i don't wanna start a war, but compared to other top titles on this site this game is just nowhere near that level. it's actually insane how well this game is received despite being mediocre at best.

Uriel ☁

Nov 28, 2017
not to mention every 4+ stars review is liked by caribdis while others are not
Caribdis likes all the posts that compliments him, even in this thread.
Go a few pages back and you can easily see them. That's just how he rolls.

also i don't wanna start a war, but compared to other top titles on this site this game is just nowhere near that level. it's actually insane how well this game is received despite being mediocre at best.
Says he doesn't want to start a war, proceeds to start a war lol.

Everyone has their own opinion, I'm unbiased and I've no horse in this race but for me there's Eternum and then there're all the other games. Eternum is so far ahead of all the other games it's something unprecedented.

It has hands down the best story in the market. There're very few other games that have a comparable story, but they tend to be heavy to get through. Eternum instead is always a joy to read through and it never gets you tired because the pace is always on point.

And nobody says enough about the SFX. No game comes close to it, they enhance the experience immensely.

Takkatakka

Engaged Member
Nov 11, 2022
"Having" to replay 0.5 because I lost my saves really made me appreciate again, how great the game really is. The art, the writing, the humor and by now the sex scenes really increase in frequency as well...and damn is the animation work great in this compared to a lot of if not pretty much any other renpy game I know.

Cherubin25

Nov 7, 2020
Everyone has their own opinion, I'm unbiased and I've no horse in this race but for me there's Eternum and then there're all the other games. Eternum is so far ahead of all the other games it's something unprecedented.
Same here. I am playing a bunch of games here and I am also looking forward to them and have my own ranking about them which I prefer and which I am waiting for the most.

However, Eternum is not in this ranking. It is just above it, whenever it gets updated, it will be the game I play, no matter what I am playing instead.
If it would be in the Ranking, it would be #1 without contention.

wrunc

Apr 24, 2023
yeah they tend to be a bit strange, combing through them you can even see some of them repeat not to mention every 4+ stars review is liked by caribdis while others are not. it comes of as disingenuous and i'd be lying if i said i didn't smell something fishy going on here.

And? Go to any thread where the dev is active and you will see high rated reivews are liked by the creators (it is the same with Pale Carnations and many other games for example).

While I am not the highest tier supporter of the dev, I do bump my support during release times so I have had access to the higher tier discord channels during release times. Not once have I seen the developer ask anyone to write reviews - not here, not on itch.io and not on discord. You think he somehow convinced over 670 people to give him high ratings without ever even mentioning reviews to his patrons? Go support him at the $60+ tier (thats where you get access to all the discord channels) and read through his posts on the discord channels yourself if you think I am lying. You will see that he actually tries to distance himself from this site which is why he is not active here other than liking the occasional comment or review.

Also stop with the 'i don't wanna start a war' crap you know exactly what you are doing with a post like this. Look at the growth on patron since the game came out: - that would not happen if people did not like the game or do you think there is some conspiracy there too where the dev is somehow tricking people into giving him money?

You have no right to decide what people should feel about this game. If you dont like the game then just go away - stop telling people how they are supposed to feel about the game. And stop making stupid conspiracy theories and implying that the dev is engaging in review manipulation when you dont know what you are talking about.

Last edited:

Son of Durin

Engaged Member
Jul 5, 2021
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Last edited:

ArDZer

Feb 20, 2019
This expression is also on point. And he certainly got some artillery thrown at him (despite stating that he did not wanted to start a war but did anyway).

Edit: This also reminds me of this meme

Last edited:

HardcoreCuddler

Engaged Member
Aug 4, 2020
compared to other top titles on this site this game is just nowhere near that level. it's actually insane how well this game is received despite being mediocre at best.
Agreed that it's mediocre.
The entire game is basicaly just content over content and some more content.
There are pretty much 0 actual mechanics to speak of besides some basic "congratz you changed a variable that determines which set of images are rendered after around 100 scenes from now".
But...so what? If people like it, that's fucking great to me.
The content editors are putting in hard work to get the story and renders out, and they're cashing in. I see nothing wrong with that.

Jan 21, 2023
There are pretty much 0 actual mechanics to speak of besides some basic "congratz you changed a variable that determines which set of images are rendered after around 100 scenes from now".
The content editors are putting in hard work to get the story and renders out, and they're cashing in. I see nothing wrong with that.
I am not going to bother responding to that obvious troll but I will respond to this.

How does lack of mechanics make the game mediocre? The point of any game is to entertain not pile on mechanics nobody cares about that only serve to frustrate the audience. You can have the most mechanically complex game in the world but if people dont have fun playing it, it is going to be a stinking pile of dogshit. Similarly if a game has no mechanics other than variable changes but is entertaining to most people that play it, then to me it is an excellent game.

I completely disagree with your assessment that mechanics are what make a great game. I think you should judge a game by the entertainment it provides to you because that is the whole point of playing a game.

Frowster

Nov 4, 2022
So your biggest criticism of Eternum is that... it focuses on storytelling at the expense of gameplay mechanics?

Seems reasonable, considering the definition of a visual novel:

Itch said:
Visual Novel
Visual novels are interactive stories. They focus mainly on character development and plot rather than action and gameplay mechanics.
Wikipedia said:
(...) Visual novels are distinguished from other game types by their generally minimal gameplay. Typically the majority of player interaction is limited to clicking to keep the text, graphics and sound moving as if they were turning a page (many recent games offer "play" or "fast-forward" toggles that make this unnecessary), while making narrative choices along the way. (...)
Okay, that's enough internet for me today.

Takkatakka

Engaged Member
Nov 11, 2022
I mean...it is a renpy game and a visual novel, it isn't supposed to be Anno 1800 or Crusader Kings 3.

4.80 star(s) 929 Votes