Tool Others F95Checker [WillyJL]

5.00 star(s) 21 Votes
Jun 17, 2019
Hi SiegfriedBauer1212! Are you by any chance using Windows 10 in Russian language (or in any case in languages with "special" characters)?

If that's the case try taking a look at Github: pip issues UnicodeDecodeError on Windows 10 for Russian language

As for the other errors in the log file, numpy appears to be unable to install Cython. Try to force the install as
Willy suggested (who beat me on time :LOL:)

Last edited:

AtotehZ

Aug 24, 2018
Really enjoying this.

There's still the weird bug where it insists every game is spelled wrong during a refresh, however... Restarting the app fixes that.
It should probably be mentioned that I've never seen it fail this way just after starting it up. It's always after having been open for a long time. I'm just a slob when it comes to cleaning up open programs on my computer. I have 64GB RAM to offset my slob tendencies.

There's also that background mode isn't working for me, but I don't need it.

All in all though. Just having a way to keep on top of which games receive an update is awesome.

Thank you for this WillyJL.

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
Really enjoying this.

There's still the weird bug where it insists every game is spelled wrong during a refresh, however... Restarting the app fixes that.
It should probably be mentioned that I've never seen it fail this way just after starting it up. It's always after having been open for a long time. I'm just a slob when it comes to cleaning up open programs on my computer. I have 64GB RAM to offset my slob tendencies.

There's also that background mode isn't working for me, but I don't need it.

All in all though. Just having a way to keep on top of which games receive an update is awesome.

Thank you for this WillyJL.
yea i did notice this same issue myself actually, what i believe is happening is that after staying open for quite a while the session expires and f95 requires you to login again, which i havent made the tool do, so it just throws up errors all over the place... i will work on a fix for the next update

bg mode will also probably get properly fixed since ill be merging it into the same script as the gui tool

and no problem, glad you find it useful :D

Reactions: AtotehZ

SiegfriedBauer1212

Jan 10, 2018
saw this in the error log
OSError: Cython needs to be installed in Python as a module
try running
pip install Cython
and then
pip install numpy
Thank you, i did install Cython. Thus i was able to install numpy too. Unfortunately nothing happens when i try to open the "F95Checker.pwy". Even worse, when i try to open the "Background.pwy" i get an error message telling me to press ok to try to install the dependencies, but neither do i get an error.txt nor an install.txt as i did before.

Hi SiegfriedBauer1212! Are you by any chance using Windows 10 in Russian language (or in any case in languages with "special" characters)?

If that's the case try taking a look at Github: pip issues UnicodeDecodeError on Windows 10 for Russian language

As for the other errors in the log file, numpy appears to be unable to install Cython. Try to force the install as
Willy suggested (who beat me on time :LOL:)

P.S. Does this message have to be validated by a moderator because I had inserted external links?
I am using Windows 10 in German language, which has 3 additional characters then the usual alphabet. But i was not able to find anything usefull on GIthub about that "pip issues UnicodeDecodeError on Windows 10 for Russian language" you mentioned.

Jun 17, 2019
Hi SiegfriedBauer1212!
Unfortunately nothing happens when i try to open the "F95Checker.pwy".
Try to run the script from the console (command prompt): C:\\FOLDER_CONTAINING_THE_SCRIPT py scriptname.py

On Windows 10 you can use both the old CMD or the new Powershell. To avoid having to move between folders you can open the script folder and right-click while pressing SHIFT. Then you can select the "Open prompt here" option.

By doing this you should see any messages or errors that the program throws.

Also, this is the link on Github I wrote about:

Last edited:

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
I get "Could not found ..." errors for some games despite copy/pasting the thread URL.
For example:
I copy/paste this url: https://f95zone.to/threads/bitch-trainer-v1-04a-akabur-trainerfan.45347/ in the tool.
I refresh
I get this error message: (cf image)

The link is the most recent one since I added the game 1 or 2 minutes before posting this message.
the tool uses the quicksearch function for the games forum to work, that is in the mods forum so thats why it doesnt show up

EDIT: ill try switching myself to the site wide quicksearch on the home page and testing see if it impacts results, in the meantime you can do the same yourself: just edit the var search_url in if __name__ == '__main__': from https://f95zone.to/forums/games.2/quicksearch to https://f95zone.to/quicksearch and the tool should be able to find it

Last edited:

bitogno

May 9, 2018
It fixed the issue for the game but I still have the "not found" error for mods and videos/images collections. Shouldn't that fix make it possible for the script to find those pages? Or is it because it can't parse the title to get the version number?

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
It fixed the issue for the game but I still have the "not found" error for mods and videos/images collections. Shouldn't that fix make it possible for the script to find those pages? Or is it because it can't parse the title to get the version number?
can you provide some examples? also, you can test yourself if its a problem related to the tool or to the website by searching it yourself with the homepage quicksearch, if it doesnt show up there searching manually then you have your answer

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
Is the thread id supposed to be unique? If it is, maybe you can store the id instead of the name so that refreshing doesn't rely on the quicksearch bar.
thread id is unique afaik, and i get what you mean, but i just use the quicksearch because it uses significantly less data and so its waaaay faster in terms of refreshing using the bar instead of loading the whole game page... also puts way less stress on the f95 servers, i will not make the tool fetch the entire webpages because i can already see that the website has some connection errors from time to time and i dont want to single-handedly add to that problem

bitogno

May 9, 2018
thread id is unique afaik, and i get what you mean, but i just use the quicksearch because it uses significantly less data and so its waaaay faster in terms of refreshing using the bar instead of loading the whole game page... also puts way less stress on the f95 servers, i will not make the tool fetch the entire webpages because i can already see that the website has some connection errors from time to time and i dont want to single-handedly add to that problem
That make sense.
It could be interesting to store the id anyway to be able to generate links to the thread. You could then make a message "couldn't find the game, here's a link to the thread". That would be useful for the threads that aren't found using quicksearch (it's strange that those threads aren't found tho).

Sorry to ask so many things. I'd try to implement my suggestion before suggesting them but since the code is being refactored I'll wait until the next version is out.

I'll take a closer look at why the rogue-like evolution mod isn't found later. I can find the mod using the quicksearch.

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
I'll take a closer look at why the rogue-like evolution mod isn't found later. I can find the mod using the quicksearch.
no need to, just had a realization: the title doesnt contain neither a version nor an author (basically it has no square brackets) and the tool just assumes the brackets should be there, so its very probably something related to that

Josephkink_2H

Aug 15, 2020
no need to, just had a realization: the title doesnt contain neither a version nor an author (basically it has no square brackets) and the tool just assumes the brackets should be there, so its very probably something related to that
Is this Checker available for Mac?

Jun 17, 2019
Hi Josephkink_2H!
Although the script has not been tested on Mac, I still believe you can make it work:
  1. Install the latest Python 3 release:
    1. By default macOS is shipped with the 2.7.x version (which is not usable for our purposes)
  2. Install the requirements with pip install MODULE
    1. The required modules are: requests, bs4, numpy, Pillow, pystray, pypiwin32, setuptools
  3. Use the terminal to move to the script directory and run the file:
    1. To make it faster you can create a shell file in the script directory with the commands in the guide, so as not to have to redo the whole procedure every time

Reactions: WillyJL

Pistol

Jan 22, 2018
Need help starting this app. I somehow managed to launch it yesterday, fiddled with it for a bit but was unable to start background mode. Today it won't start at all. I had downgraded to Python 3.8.5 and installed cppbuildtools. Nothing helps ((

log's contents is as follows
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Jun 17, 2019
Hi Pistol!

I checked the file: although the installation of the requirements seems to be successful, the pypiwin32 module is not installed.

On a console run pip install pypiwin32, then run background.pyw normally. If it is your first start you will have to enter the names of the games to check, you can do it from the graphical version of the app (F95Checker.pyw)

Note to WillyJL:
It might be useful for debugging purposes to add the exception that Python throws (in this case: except ModuleNotFoundError as ex)

Reactions: Pistol and WillyJL

AtotehZ

Aug 24, 2018
Do you know if there'll be a more streamlined version in the future? I mean a compiled version where you don't need Python for an instance.

I'd love to see this become mainstream on F95.

5.00 star(s) 21 Votes