Tool Others F95Checker [WillyJL]

5.00 star(s) 21 Votes

Pistol

Jan 22, 2018
Thank you MillenniumEarl, yes that solved background.pyw problem. It launches normally and hangs in tray, but then I try to switch to GUI mode it just closes. And any attempt at launching F95Checker.pyw manually also fails.

PS Few day ago I, for unrelated reasons, ended up installing Visual Studio. I'm not a coder but then I had been downgrading python to 8.5.0 as per instructions from this thread I seem to lost file association for .pyw and F95Checker.pyw launched in VS. So I now remembered it and tried to run it through VS and that is what popped up in console:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Last edited:

Josephkink_2H

Aug 15, 2020
Hi Josephkink_2H!
Although the script has not been tested on Mac, I still believe you can make it work:
  1. Install the latest Python 3 release:
    1. By default macOS is shipped with the 2.7.x version (which is not usable for our purposes)
  2. Install the requirements with pip install MODULE
    1. The required modules are: requests, bs4, numpy, Pillow, pystray, pypiwin32, setuptools
  3. Use the terminal to move to the script directory and run the file:
    1. To make it faster you can create a shell file in the script directory with the commands in the guide, so as not to have to redo the whole procedure every time
Thanks for this. Unfortunately I need this simplified for me step-by-step-I have Python now and when I installed it and opened one of the Terminal files Install Certificates.command this is what happened:

Last login: Sun Nov 1 17:32:26 on ttys000
/Applications/Python\ 3.9/Install\ Certificates.command ; exit;
Jonathans-iMac:~ jek$ /Applications/Python\ 3.9/Install\ Certificates.command ; exit;
-- pip install --upgrade certifi
Requirement already up-to-date: certifi in /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.9/lib/python3.9/site-packages (2020.6.20)
WARNING: You are using pip version 20.2.3; however, version 20.2.4 is available.
You should consider upgrading via the '/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.9/bin/python3.9 -m pip install --upgrade pip' command.
-- removing any existing file or link
-- creating symlink to certifi certificate bundle
-- setting permissions
-- update complete
logout
Saving session...
...copying shared history...
...saving history...truncating history files...
...completed.

[Process completed]

Where do I install/download this other modules from. Do I enter them in one of the files in the F95 Checker that I also downloaded? Some screenshots might also help-I'm a visual learner

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
Need help starting this app. I somehow managed to launch it yesterday, fiddled with it for a bit but was unable to start background mode. Today it won't start at all. I had downgraded to Python 3.8.5 and installed cppbuildtools. Nothing helps ((

log's contents is as follows
can you please post the contents of your config.ini file (found at C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\f95checker\config.ini)? remove your username and password of course

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
Do you know if there'll be a more streamlined version in the future? I mean a compiled version where you don't need Python for an instance.

I'd love to see this become mainstream on F95.
i know there are ways of compiling python code into .exe format, and have done so with another few projects of mine like a discord selfbot, but when i had tried doing so for f95checker it would fail to launch, but perhaps with me switching to Qt it might work...? we'll see

Jun 17, 2019
Hi Josephkink_2H!
Thanks for this. Unfortunately I need this simplified for me step-by-step-I have Python now and when I installed it and opened one of the Terminal files Install Certificates.command this is what happened:

Where do I install/download this other modules from. Do I enter them in one of the files in the F95 Checker that I also downloaded? Some screenshots might also help-I'm a visual learner
Unfortunately I'm not very familiar with the Mac command prompt (called terminal), anyway:
  1. When you installed Python, you should also have pip installed, a manager for various Python packages
  2. pip has its own online backend from which it gets modules that the user requests to install
  3. Once a command prompt is open, simply type the command, for example pip install bs4, and pip will take care of the rest
  4. Repeat this procedure for each of the modules I had listed
Some operations to perform in case the above instructions do not work, I put them because not knowing how Python behaves on Mac I prefer to play it safe.

In case the terminal tells you that it has no idea what pip is, follow these steps (pip is probably not installed):
  1. Still in the terminal, copy and execute curl https://bootstrap.pypa.io/get-pip.py -o get-pip.py
  2. Once you have finished downloading the file, run python get-pip.py

Python should be installed, but to be safe type python --version to see which version is currently active (very often, with multiple installations, so many problems are due to the fact that Python plays "tricks" and the version we need is not the one in use)

Also, on Windows:

Reactions: WillyJL

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
Do you know if there'll be a more streamlined version in the future? I mean a compiled version where you don't need Python for an instance.

I'd love to see this become mainstream on F95.
managed to build an exe, running some test right about now

it took longer than what id like to admit, and its not that efficient (~50 mb file size because of the pyqt library and takes a few seconds to open up) but hey it should work completely without python (i will test this as soon as i get my virtual machine set up)

ps: as a result of optimizing resources to make them work with exes i also significantly reduced the clutter in the assets folder

Reactions: AtotehZ

AtotehZ

Aug 24, 2018
managed to build an exe, running some test right about now

it took longer than what id like to admit, and its not that efficient (~50 mb file size because of the pyqt library and takes a few seconds to open up) but hey it should work completely without python (i will test this as soon as i get my virtual machine set up)

ps: as a result of optimizing resources to make them work with exes i also significantly reduced the clutter in the assets folder
Sounds great. My thinking with compiling it so you don't need python installed is that many users don't wanna bother. They just want something that's easy to get into.

Reactions: abada25 and WillyJL

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
Man that looks awesome. But PLEASEEEE think about some image stuff as well :D
i was against it because i didnt have any idea of where i would put the banner images for them to make sense, but i just thought that i could put them right at the top of the new changelog popups... would that do it? :D

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
update on the standalone exe:
works perfectly without python, of course will get flagged by your antivirus just like any unsigned software but it works
also its truly standalone, you can put the exe anywhere, it has all the data and resources bundled inside itself, Assets folder is no more boys
only think i need to rework a few functions to work with exe format but i can safely say that 7.0 will come bundled in both exe and python formats

EDIT: also im probably gonna release a tester build after i fix a few things, so that i can work through bugs faster, if you'd like to participate react to this

• Hey there
Reactions: abada25 and AtotehZ

abada25

Sep 30, 2019
i was against it because i didnt have any idea of where i would put the banner images for them to make sense, but i just thought that i could put them right at the top of the new changelog popups... would that do it? :D
Actually i had much bigger ideas like Steam's tile view :D :D

But for now, someone else said you can put image at Refresh button's place, which makes sense imo.

GrammerCop

Donor
Mar 15, 2020
Sounds great. My thinking with compiling it so you don't need python installed is that many users don't wanna bother. They just want something that's easy to get into.
:unsure: I think it is a wonderful idea to have an all in the box solution. Usually when I have to install 3rd party applications, I just ignore it and move on. Unless I like (or have a need for) the solution.

you damn right it is!
im sure GrammerCop will enjoy the new refresh speed ; )
Since I have so many games, a faster refresh speed would be nice. So yes, I will enjoy it. :D

Reactions: Zolt and WillyJL
5.00 star(s) 21 Votes