VN Ren'Py Abandoned Faction Paradox [v0.4] [AlistairV]

3.00 star(s) 2 Votes

eddie297

Jun 17, 2017
I just played it and it looks promising. I like the art, narrative, setting, even the music.

I will follow this one closely.

Reactions: AlistairV

docclox

Game Developer
Aug 20, 2016
I like slave training games and I like Whoniverse stuff, so that's all to the good. I never read any of the Faction Paradox books so that goes a bit over my head ... but it's probably a safer choice than going with the Doctor or any of his supporting cast, so fair enough.

What would improve matters immensely would be a bit more feedback. There's basically two ways you can do a game like this. You can tell the player up front that he needs to get stat X to value Y for the plot to advance or you can just let them sandbox and be surprised when events develop.

The problem here is that the sandboxing isn't interesting enough to hold my attention. I just loop sleep and relaxed lecture with the occasional science study and every now and then go through the other options to see if anything has shaken loose. But nothing seems to be happening and I have no way of telling if I'm doing it wrong, or if I'm doing it right and just have to be patient, or if there's a bug preventing me from progressing or if I've hit the end of the content currently in game. (I'm assuming it's not the latter since the change log says there should be lewdness and I've not encountered any apart from cleavage and innuendo).

Anyway: nice idea, nice art, decent presentation ... but it needs something so the player knows he's actually achieving something beyond clicking buttons and raising abstract numbers. That's my take on it.

AlistairV

Game Developer
Jan 21, 2018
I like slave training games and I like Whoniverse stuff, so that's all to the good. I never read any of the Faction Paradox books so that goes a bit over my head ... but it's probably a safer choice than going with the Doctor or any of his supporting cast, so fair enough.

What would improve matters immensely would be a bit more feedback. There's basically two ways you can do a game like this. You can tell the player up front that he needs to get stat X to value Y for the plot to advance or you can just let them sandbox and be surprised when events develop.

The problem here is that the sandboxing isn't interesting enough to hold my attention. I just loop sleep and relaxed lecture with the occasional science study and every now and then go through the other options to see if anything has shaken loose. But nothing seems to be happening and I have no way of telling if I'm doing it wrong, or if I'm doing it right and just have to be patient, or if there's a bug preventing me from progressing or if I've hit the end of the content currently in game. (I'm assuming it's not the latter since the change log says there should be lewdness and I've not encountered any apart from cleavage and innuendo).

Anyway: nice idea, nice art, decent presentation ... but it needs something so the player knows he's actually acieving something beyond clicking buttons and raising abstract numbers. That's my take on it.
This is a perfect post and I greatly appreciate it. I'll immediately get on writing a walkthrough.

For a basic brief:
- Get your science stats to 10
- Once Liu has moved in with you, you can perform a medical test by visiting her in her room.
- This gives you the first CG screen.

Thanks again mate! I loved the post.

Gandalf51

Aug 2, 2017
Could be a nice, if only there was a way to know what you're supposed to do.
I've Liu's confort at 20, science at 12 and NOTHING is happening ....

AlistairV

Game Developer
Jan 21, 2018
Does anyone here happen to have a ULMF account? I would like to advertise my project there but it seems impossible to make an account?

UncleVT

Låt den rätta komma in
Jul 2, 2017
Seeing the walkthrough I'm glad to realize that got everything, cause had my doubts.

Good development, waiting for more.

kog

Jul 23, 2017
Rather than focusing on making a walkthrough, its usually better game design to make it intuitive enough for the player to know what to do next, or add in game hints/objectives. For example: objective logs, Man of the House cellphone, in game dialogue etc..

Reactions: Master of Puppets

Silver1

Feb 7, 2017
Spend a lot of time trying to get out of the ship, the controls could, and should, be simpler.

Reactions: T3DP4XF

MrJay

Apr 21, 2017
Once again, the convoluted flying "controls" need to go, they're not adding anything to this title.

3.00 star(s) 2 Votes