3.80 star(s) 62 Votes

Purple_Heart

Oct 15, 2021
Hey so uhhh anyone know which version of Denuvo this game uses because ...if it's V18 we may be onto something. But for some reason I doubt it's V18 and I can't even find any docs on the versions of Denuvo.
I think you can use hex editor on .exe to check mentions of denuvo but I don't know any more details.
But does it really matter which version it is? I mean empress is the only person(or maybe secretly a group) who is able or willing to crack denuvo at the moment. How are you going to persuade that nutjob to crack this game?

Nihil5320

Jul 2, 2022
Hey so uhhh anyone know which version of Denuvo this game uses because ...if it's V18 we may be onto something. But for some reason I doubt it's V18 and I can't even find any docs on the versions of Denuvo.
It'll be an older version so probably not relevant, I did have a quick check and there's no references to the version in the executable (although the string Denuvo shows up a lot) so I presume the version number is not something they go out of their way to broadcast. Probably for the obvious reasons.

I don't think it would help anyway since it comes with a bunch of randomised obfuscation, encryption etc. Even for a different build of the same title with the same Denuvo version I imagine you'd be back at square one needing Empress level skills, and gods knows how many man hours, to crack it again. Unless of course Helius made a major boo boo somewhere.

On an amusing side note I did notice whilst looking that the game saves an individual error file in \Paralogue\Saved\ErrorLog for every single error. Like it doesn't append the error to a single file or have one file per session, oh no, it creates a new file. Every. Single. Time.

Not only that but the date format is yyyymmdd, which is fine, but it cuts the leading zeroes off the month and day so you sometimes get yyyymmd or yyyymd. I don't think I've ever seen a standard library that uses that format. They must be getting the day, month and year as ints all separately and just mashing them together into a string instead of just using put_time or something which is just... dumb.

Plus it's followed by what looks like a timestamp from a monotonic clock (maybe), but its variable length so you can't even cut it off to get the actual date. Naturally the time isn't stored in the file either and it's just the error string all on a single line with zero formatting or separators:
StateCode:500ErrorCode:1002002Content:Insufficient Expedited Certificates.
I mean at least they have logging I guess but this is the kind of stuff I'd expect from someone making their first application

Also in \Paralogue\Content\Movies there are a bunch of video files which clearly still have shutterstock watermarks on, quick Google image search and looks like most of the snazzy HUD elements in game . I suspect that's probably standard practice for indie devs to an extent, not sure what it says about all the artists supposedly on staff mind you, but leaving random unused stuttershock preview files in the assets? That's got licensing nightmare written all over it.

Anyway rant over. This project just looks dumber and dumber the longer you look at it.

Last edited:

Purple_Heart

Oct 15, 2021
It'll be an older version so probably not relevant, I did have a quick check and there's no references to the version in the executable (although the string Denuvo shows up a lot) so I presume the version number is not something they go out of their way to broadcast. Probably for the obvious reasons.
I've just remembered something, I think empress once said version numbers are just empres's own versioning instead of them being official numbers because denuvo doesn't actually have version numbers in it. I could be remembering wrong but I'm fairly sure about this. I've read about this a long time ago, it was either on reddit or on one of the game .nfo's.

Reactions: HardcoreCuddler

HardcoreCuddler

Engaged Member
Aug 4, 2020

I don't think it would help anyway since it comes with a bunch of randomised obfuscation, encryption etc. Even for a different build of the same title with the same Denuvo version I imagine you'd be back at square one needing Empress level skills, and gods knows how many man hours, to crack it again. Unless of course Helius made a major boo boo somewhere.

On an amusing side note I did notice whilst looking that the game saves an individual error file in \Paralogue\Saved\ErrorLog for every single error. Like it doesn't append the error to a single file or have one file per session, oh no, it creates a new file. Every. Single. Time.

Not only that but the date format is yyyymmdd, which is fine, but it cuts the leading zeroes off the month and day so you sometimes get yyyymmd or yyyymd. I don't think I've ever seen a standard library that uses that format. They must be getting the day, month and year as ints all separately and just mashing them together into a string instead of just using put_time or something which is just... dumb.

Plus it's followed by what looks like a timestamp from a monotonic clock (maybe), but its variable length so you can't even cut it off to get the actual date. Naturally the time isn't stored in the file either and it's just the error string all on a single line with zero formatting or separators:

I mean at least they have logging I guess but this is the kind of stuff I'd expect from someone making their first application

Also in \Paralogue\Content\Movies there are a bunch of video files which clearly still have shutterstock watermarks on, quick Google image search and looks like most of the snazzy HUD elements in game . I suspect that's probably standard practice for indie devs to an extent, not sure what it says about all the artists supposedly on staff mind you, but leaving random unused stuttershock preview files in the assets? That's got licensing nightmare written all over it.

Anyway rant over. This project just looks dumber and dumber the longer you look at it.
Dude...the logging thing is just...wtf...
It's INCREDIBLY easy to get proper logs. All the log functions are basicaly written for you, and all you have to do is specify parameters.

Modern loggers can distinguish between release and debug builds out of the box.
Date formatters can seemingly get you a unix timestamp from the most disorganised of date string formats. This is the complicated part, getting something to aid machines from something that humans understand, and they can't format a fucking date from the current time when the log is created, which is the easy thing??? That's fucking shameful for a year 1 Uni student let alone a game studio.

If they can't do that, I can't even imagine the absolute nightmare that the rest of the codebase is. No fucking wonder the "test phase" flopped so dramaticaly.

And if they'd ever be confronted about the quality of their code, they'd probably say they wrote it like that to make it harder to crack

Nihil5320

Jul 2, 2022
Dude...the logging thing is just...wtf...
It's INCREDIBLY easy to get proper logs. All the log functions are basicaly written for you, and all you have to do is specify parameters.

Modern loggers can distinguish between release and debug builds out of the box.
Date formatters can seemingly get you a unix timestamp from the most disorganised of date string formats. This is the complicated part, getting something to aid machines from something that humans understand, and they can't format a fucking date from the current time when the log is created, which is the easy thing??? That's fucking shameful for a year 1 Uni student let alone a game studio.

If they can't do that, I can't even imagine the absolute nightmare that the rest of the codebase is. No fucking wonder the "test phase" flopped so dramaticaly.

And if they'd ever be confronted about the quality of their code, they'd probably say they wrote it like that to make it harder to crack
Yeah it's just really weird. What are they going to do if they ever actually need to review the logs, hope they know what they're looking for so they can search the file contents? Get a user to email them 100k files and hope it doesn't strip the housekeeping data so they can still get timestamps from the metadata?

It doesn't even give them any context for the errors, most of them just look like server responses but there's nothing to suggest what the request that spurred it was or what the original payload contents were so how the hell are you meant to figure out what caused it?

I still think the videos are worse though. Unlicensed copyrighted materials sitting in an application being shipped to end users, that's an oof and a half.

eva-unit01

Dec 12, 2018
Even if the game ends up being cracked again (and that veeeeery unlikely), it won't be playable anyways.
In an older conversation, helius infered that playing a near fully functional cracked version was possible because most of the game's systems were run locally on the player's computer.

With the rebuild, they supposedly removed most of them to make it unplayable on a cracked version
1684253517268.png

In a nutshell, unless you manage to both crack denuvo AND develop a dummy-plug that will emulate the game's original server (a lot of work developping it + analyzing/documenting the network traffic with a legit copy).
Though, developping the dummy-plug could still be doable if the current network stack they use now is similar to what's available here :

(i guess this guy is one or the dev responsible with the networking code of the game)

Also, you can also decrypt the game's AES key and use UEViewer to export the game's models and animations. And then open them in blender to do whatever you want with them

Feb 21, 2020
Aren't the server hamster already failing to handle login requests? They want to handle all the graphics on the server also? Or your boi Helius talking BS again?

KillMyDay

Jul 9, 2017
im thinking they need to make a rule on pateon or subscribestar whatever that they need to post a clear quarter year report for everything they have done, just a simple report every 3months so people can look into it would solve a big problem
and if its wrong or misleading just shut down their page

but that wont happen because them funding sites would miss money

Last edited:
  • Red Heart
Reactions: BarnMTB and theKimb
Apr 29, 2018
Even if the game ends up being cracked again (and that veeeeery unlikely), it won't be playable anyways.
In an older conversation, helius infered that playing a near fully functional cracked version was possible because most of the game's systems were run locally on the player's computer.

With the rebuild, they supposedly removed most of them to make it unplayable on a cracked version
View attachment 2625924

In a nutshell, unless you manage to both crack denuvo AND develop a dummy-plug that will emulate the game's original server (a lot of work developping it + analyzing/documenting the network traffic with a legit copy).
Though, developping the dummy-plug could still be doable if the current network stack they use now is similar to what's available here :

(i guess this guy is one or the dev responsible with the networking code of the game)

Also, you can also decrypt the game's AES key and use UEViewer to export the game's models and animations. And then open them in blender to do whatever you want with them
While I understand there's benefits to having multiple layers of security, the fact that they're paying for Denuvo at all tells me their server dependence claims are likely bullshit. Helius shifted resources to make it online-only as an anti-piracy measure and paid for a Denuvo license to do the same? Not even AAA publishers do this.

It could just be another example of Helius' horrible project management, but I'm going to guess they never actually figured out a reliable way to cripple a cracked game, so they just claimed they did and are hoping Denuvo's a high enough hurdle to prevent anyone from finding out.

scorpio99-bj

Jul 8, 2019
im thinking they need to make a rule on pateon or subscribestar whatever that they need to post a clear quarter year report for everyone they have done, just a simple report every 3months so people can look into it would solve a big problem
and if its wrong or misleading just shut down their page

but that wont happen because them funding sites would miss money
I agree.

HardcoreCuddler

Engaged Member
Aug 4, 2020
I still think the videos are worse though. Unlicensed copyrighted materials sitting in an application being shipped to end users, that's an oof and a half.
*in a beta stress test shipped to unpaid testers*, actually

View attachment 2625924

Wow going by the last part, getting our animation viewer back wouldn't be hard at all.
Learning the basics of Unreal seems to be the hardest part, tbh. I mean, getting a functional walking on a nice floor is easy as fuck, and then triggering the animations (that as you said can be just ripped) is just a tiny script if it works anything similar to Unity that I've worked in a tiny bit.
The guy that said he wanted to make a ripoff of this game as a hobby is actually not unlikely to manage by himself if what you said is true.

And about the whole moved everything to the server part - I highly doubt that's been done in a way that can't be fooled, judging by how poor their work quality has proven.
Aren't the server hamster already failing to handle login requests? They want to handle all the graphics on the server also? Or your boi Helius talking BS again?
Yea it will never work properly. And even if it does it's going to run very poorly in comparison.

Nihil5320

Jul 2, 2022
And about the whole moved everything to the server part - I highly doubt that's been done in a way that can't be fooled, judging by how poor their work quality has proven.
In regard to that last comment they definitely changed quite a bit. The old 0.4.9 build was so bad it was using rest to update player positions over http and basically everything was client side anyway, but when the new update dropped and didn't work I was monitoring it with wireshark and it is now constantly communicating with the server.

Plus everything is encrypted with TLS so you'd need to get the SSL keys out of memory then spend ages reverse engineering and emulating and/or patching out the server side functionality. Even sans Denuvo that's a pretty massive task for what is essentially some OK models and a load of very short animation loops.

My guess would be that UC's sole role was redoing Helius' shitty networking so it probably is largely server side now. Including Denuvo as well is obviously still overkill, I'd probably have gone with something cheaper and relied on the combo, but I don't think anybody has ever accused Helius of harbouring an abundance of intelligence.

Reactions: HardcoreCuddler
May 17, 2021
Viewer progress report:
  • I've found 0 volunteers. Probably because anyone who's dumb enough to work for free is too dense to understand unreal engine :(
  • There have been unforseen simplications (it's the opposite of complication, right?) regarding the animation system. They're using premade anim montages, and their animation player is just jumping between the sections. (and of course blends the 2 versions of the animation and layers the facial animations, breathing and "look at" on top of it)
  • The game has a huge data table for the animations. Using that should be easy to make a system that "spawns" animations. (Someone here thought I'd have to make a blueprint for every animation. He's clearly not a programmer). If you're curious it's . You can find out in which animations are the muscle sliders disabled, is the girl crying or which animation has a chinese name
    You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
  • If you have daz studio you can enjoy some of Alet's new lingerie without the game! ,
It is giving me this error when i try to open Paralogue-Win64-Shipping.exe

Window Security
! These files can't be opened

Your Internet security settings prevented one or more files from being opened

I have tried disabling some security options but it still doesn't work. Anyone know how to fix this?
Why do you want to open that file?
bruh I'd hop on but I've never worked in anything besides web dev so it would probably be better to hire a chipmunk on a nuts salary than me
It's OK, you're disqualified on text comprehension grounds anyway.
Son of a thousand throbbing cocks up my ass, man...

Instead of UModel and blender I'd recommend using UE5 (and joining my awesome team) :)

Last edited:
3.80 star(s) 62 Votes