Ren'Py Abandoned Family Way [v0.3.3] [Sural Argonus]

2.50 star(s) 2 Votes

Thjis

May 19, 2017
I don't know if there are any plans to add choices or branching paths to the game. If not then I believe this would be classified as a kinetic novel which is a type of visual novel that just tells a single story with no branching paths. I personally prefer having choices and being able to influence the outcome of games but adding branching paths also usually means less content per update. Maybe the dev just doesn't have enough experience yet to include branching paths or maybe they just have a single story they want the players to experience. Either way I have enjoyed the game so far.
I am also enjoying this, which makes me wish for some way to interact with the story. Should this story be hosted as a comic? After all it is a narative, none of the dictionary definitions of "game" justify its status as a game Just an off hand thought. I encourage the developer to contine. "A family way" is better than average quality in all areas, except renders. The developer knows this and once he figures it out, the renders will be great as well.

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
R.E. Loli patch:
The first rule of Loli patch is to not talk about Loli patch...
:biggrin:

Seriously, though, yeah there's some storyline forks for the younger sister that get added by the unnamed patch that I'm not talking about.

Also that patch which may or may not exist is an F-95 exclusive as I understand.

EvilMonkey

Aug 20, 2017
Okay, I have some criticisms and suggestions.

• Firstly there are a number of renders that don't look totally finished as there are so many missing pixels.
  • Secondly, render and save as a .png, then apply a background layer under that so that you don't have windows that look outside into the abyss of transparency.
  • Thirdly, there are some ridiculous scene transitions that got me flicking back and forth over dialogue thinking I'd missed something. "Their meal arrived and they ate it" but never showing the meal arriving or them eating, just the same picture of them drinking water is just lazy. Render a scene for this, even have them talking whilst dinner is there would be fine. There are other scenes that are worse, like when the brother and older sister are laying in bed, the little sister walks out of the room and suddenly, it's the next day and they're at the beach? Maybe some narration or text would help, like "The next day, at the beach..." or something similar? I would prefer a little more scene continuation myself but that's my personal view.
  • Fourthly (which may not be a word but I'll continue in the same vein), posing isn't just positioning a body, the direction the characters look is important (at least to me) for realism. There is one scene I remember in a kitchen where there are 3 people and not one of them is looking at the other or any object. Just vacantly staring at a point in space.
  • Fifthly (I've started so I'll finish...), again with positioning characters and clipping issues. Having a good portion of your figure clipping through a surface is annoying and really just ruins the scene for me. I'm aware that there are limits to surfaces and that moving the wrong thing can sometimes lead to catastrophe but there are controls to and camera angles to help with this.

Lastly, I see potential in this but I think you've rushed out it's current iteration and I think you can improve it. Good luck.

Sural Argonus

Chimpanor Productions
Donor
Game Developer
May 12, 2017
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

In reply to yet ANOTHER comment about the renders...READ THE CHANGE LOG.

In fact I will post it for you:
Known Issues

Several scenes need to be completely redone. Lighting is not right, and the renders just look...bad.
Again, I had planned on starting to take care of these after Week 1 was published but my computer died. I had to delay that project to maintain my schedule. I am going to redress those images asap. If you would actually read the changelog, you would see that. Also it has been mentioned several times in this thread.

For the record...I recently discovered that DAZ was ending renders at a 2 hour time limit, and I learned how to stop that. I also learned how to better manipulate scene lighting and armed with that knowlege I can go back and fix those offending scenes asap.

Last edited:

Sumodeine

I killed Eric
Game Developer
Oct 8, 2017
I really like the direction you're going in here. Keep up the good work! Can't wait to see where this goes

Jul 18, 2017
so far so good, once the images that had issues are fixed, i think you should stick to this style then as someone else said remaster the games images once you've finished the game. In the meantime i'm enjoying the game, as someone else mentioned keep the writing upbeat with the tongue and cheek humor in it. keep up the good work @Sural Argonus

vir_cotto

Engaged Member
Aug 9, 2017
Story is going OK. You're giving us backgrounds and explanations for character's behaviours, now we should just wait for player choices in next release.

If I may give you an advice: maybe you should try with longer scenes? Right now you have lots of short scenes and jumps between them.
Also, there is some story inconsistency (think it's between patch and main game) - when Jack and Sue finished their shopping, we've got a scene with Cait and her friend in Jack's room with hm sleeping, but he couldn't possibly be there according to previous scene and scene after that one.

muttdoggy

Dogerator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2016
Hey monkey! Doggo promoted your game!
Now quit chasing me with that saddle! I don't do rides! :D

Reactions: PandaLulz

macadam

Chicken Bubble Butt
Game Developer
Aug 5, 2016
ok shitty request coming in ....

can somebody please post a mixed pic that can show me (and us all) the difference created by the normal one and loli patch ?
just to see if its something THAT important or not (like something that put a real difference on character)

C0mbatW0mbat

Sep 10, 2017
The game finished for me after the beach scene, is that ok or am i doing something wrong?
I applied the patch, and the game version is 2.4.

Ty in advance.

vir_cotto

Engaged Member
Aug 9, 2017
The game finished for me after the beach scene, is that ok or am i doing something wrong?
I applied the patch, and the game version is 2.4.

Ty in advance.
It's not normal. You probably have v1.2, so you should download latest version and patch (optional).

Led

Jul 16, 2017
Jeez, this "game" is just a "click away novel". The player doesn't get any choices to influence the story. Quite annoyed me, to be honest. There are also some weird looking little kids in this game. What's that about ?

danny19

Jul 20, 2017
Jeez, this "game" is just a "click away novel". The player doesn't get any choices to influence the story. Quite annoyed me, to be honest. There are also some weird looking little kids in this game. What's that about ?
no game lol like you said more a novel

Reactions: Led
2.50 star(s) 2 Votes