ihl86

Dec 8, 2019
Why do all these devs insist on using Patreon? It's a business model that I refuse to support, nobody wanna be paying a monthly subscription except for idiots. Why not just release each episode or update for a fix amount? Like buying a game. They just begging for their content to be pirated if you ask me.
Most of these games would not be worth buying for the amount developers need to finish the games. Since there too few customers in this niche genre, it would be hard to make a living from a one time pay type of deal. Some of the more complete games, besides Patreon also get on Steam so there's extra market for them, but I think exclusively one timesort of deal, there would be no developers left.

EraRamp

Aug 26, 2019
There are a few reasons why Patreon makes sense.
  1. It is relatively easy to set up and easy to manage. No web sites to create and manage, no credit card payment accounts to set up and manage, no minimum sales required to remain listed on a site like Steam.
  2. Having monthly pledges allows a dev to more easily budget for time, new programs, and assets. Accurately forcasting future sales in order to plan expenditures is not in the wheelhouse of most devs. In fact, accurately forecasting their own output isn't in that wheelhouse.
  3. The vast majority of patrons are used to Patreon-type systems, and its attractiveness is worth losing the very few potential customers who, like you, won't use it.
  4. The patron-client model feels more like what artists do than the create-for-profit model. Most devs, I believe, consider themselves to be much more like artists than like programmers. In a patron-client relationship the patron is supporting the artist in order to promote artistic independence and creativity, not merely buying a product.
My policy has always been to buy a product on Steam where available rather than just giving on Patreon, but I support a number of devs on Patreon who don't aspire to make games that could be sold via Steam.
In fact, Patreon exists for fans of the game. You can be a fan for different amounts of money. Even for $1 a month.

Reactions: Stan5851

jctn9

Jan 5, 2019
Devs use Patreon because it works for them. People pledge on patreon because they are making a judgement that it's worth it to them. You disagree, that's valid, but your opinion isn't magically more correct than the millions of people that are happy to support devs this way.
Some devs might do it that way. Some devs don't charge anything and releasenew builds free and let people donate to support development. It's not an inflexible system
Yeah please don't defend this matter-of-fact like it's all fine.

Granted, this game is one of the ones doing this Patreon scam thing better to the point where I still do not classify this game one way or the other, and unlike for all the other games, I'm not even sure I want this game to finish, even though there's plenty of great ways they could do a sequel I could think of off the top of my head.

But understand that this current state of affairs ruined the entire thing. No games get released because those people with equally correct opinions incentivized no games getting released. When did SU start? 2016! 2016!!! It's not done, it barely updates, it makes 250k+ a year.

All the games end with the banner talking about the next version.

This has become one gigantic shitshow, that is also wealthy-levels of lucrative for some of these projects.

And that would be bad enough if all things were equal but now the games themselves have changed to to exploit this. So this is not a case of "your opinion isn't any better and" on and on. No, the thing sucks. Presently, the thing sucks. Acknowledge that it sucks.

Reactions: 3nterprise

EraRamp

Aug 26, 2019

Granted, this game is one of the ones doing this Patreon scam thing better to the point where I still do not classify this game one way or the other, and unlike for all the other games, I'm not even sure I want this game to finish, even though there's plenty of great ways they could do a sequel I could think of off the top of my head.

But understand that this current state of affairs ruined the entire thing. No games get released because those people with equally correct opinions incentivized no games getting released. When did SU start? 2016! 2016!!! It's not done, it barely updates, it makes 250k+ a year.

This has become one gigantic shitshow, that is also wealthy-levels of lucrative for some of these projects.

And that would be bad enough if all things were equal but now the games themselves have changed to to exploit this. So this is not a case of "your opinion isn't any better and" on and on. No, the thing sucks. Presently, the thing sucks. Acknowledge that it sucks.
Where is the conclusion?

Joe Steel

Engaged Member
Jan 10, 2018
In fact, Patreon exists for fans of the game. You can be a fan for different amounts of money. Even for $1 a month.
And, in fact, I've been a patron of this game since July 2018 when the Ren'py version first came out. Just not at the level where I get the Extra version.

Joe Steel

Engaged Member
Jan 10, 2018

Your subjective opinion does not create objective reality.

Since the advent of Patreon, the number of adult games being made has increased.. what, 10-fold? 20-fold? A huge increase in number in any case. Do the overwhelming majority never get completed? Yes. Probably a slight increase in percentage over the overwhelming majority that were never completed pre-Patreon.

Butr the number of completed/actively in development games is probably 8-10 times more than pre-Patreon days, and that's what I care about. It's the exact opposite of your claim that "no games get released."

The Patreon model is hardly perfect, and it has certainly created developers who just create a small amount of content and then drag out "development" with promises of all the great stuff that's going to come out if they can just meet those funding goals, but the good hugely outweighs the bad. It is even more lopsided in favor of people who refuse to support the artists and devs no matter what. You are, if I understand your series of diatribes correctly, getting the game for free. And still you complain. And offer no actual solutions, just more complaining.

sappho

Aug 31, 2017

You're pointing out some legitimate issues with a sytem as if that invalidates the entire system. It does not. If you think SU is a waste of money don't give them money. I don't. You don't get to argue everyone is wrong because some people think SU IS worth the money. Your opinion does not invalidate theirs.

I don't care enough about your opinion to respond more than this.

3nterprise

Jan 20, 2019
You're pointing out some legitimate issues with a sytem as if that invalidates the entire system. It does not. If you think SU is a waste of money don't give them money. I don't. You don't get to argue everyone is wrong because some people think SU IS worth the money. Your opinion does not invalidate theirs.

I don't care enough about your opinion to respond more than this.
it's about shit, because I only have one purchase model and it's shit. I want to buy the final product and not contribute to the production.

EraRamp

Aug 26, 2019
I offered to translate the game from English to gibberish so I could get on the front page, too, but I think DM didn't take me up on it because my offer was written in gibberish.
It simply cannot be, because any language is good for translation. Even a little known one. Apparently there was another reason

EraRamp

Aug 26, 2019
And immediately the answer is that the DM will not add dialects. He is interested in languages. Full-fledged languages that people speak and read

3.50 star(s) 222 Votes