Samson_

May 27, 2019
Keep getting errors with the mod :/
Code:
I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
  File "renpy/common/00start.rpy", line 207, in script
    scene black
  File "game/screens.rpy", line 12, in myShow
    kwargs["at_list"].append( bright )
NameError: name 'bright' is not defined

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
  File "renpy/common/00start.rpy", line 207, in script
    scene black
  File "D:\FateandLifeTheMysteryofVaulinhorn-1.b-pc\FateandLifeTheMysteryofVaulinhorn-1.b-pc\renpy\ast.py", line 1542, in execute
    show_imspec(self.imspec, atl=getattr(self, "atl", None))
  File "D:\FateandLifeTheMysteryofVaulinhorn-1.b-pc\FateandLifeTheMysteryofVaulinhorn-1.b-pc\renpy\ast.py", line 1371, in show_imspec
    renpy.config.show(name,
  File "game/screens.rpy", line 12, in myShow
    kwargs["at_list"].append( bright )
NameError: name 'bright' is not defined

Windows-10-10.0.19043 AMD64
Ren'Py 8.0.2.22081402
Fate and Life The Mystery of Vaulinhorn 1.b
Fri Sep  2 18:18:39 2022

SoberSphagghett

Sep 14, 2018
Just nipping in here quick before the dude who always pops up to say, hmmm, new game, I see incest, is there pregnancy planned... :KEK:
Why is the banner image all women, if you're a female protagonist, then?
Why are all of them short haired? Why are the renders decent, excluding the hair length?
Why is the only mention of men in the final preview picture?
Why is the bloom set to PlusUltra?

• Haha
Reactions: Celestial Novel

Trasher2018

Engaged Member
Aug 21, 2018
Ok - played it now.

My first thoughts.

Renders are decent. All the kids look meh or worse.

The writing is ... something. Its not really bad nor really good either ^^. I guess there are some grammar issues and typos and most of the text is describing the awesome look of the MC or way to much exposition. Sometimes the narrator describes her, sometimes everybody around her. Because we can read the thoughts of all of them, we know that every person is a horny pervert.

e.G. After the pool scene, after the narrator and several characters have already told us how hot the MC is, we get another sermon.

I guess when you just mark all the "mc is so hot" parts in the script, it might be about 20-30% of all the text currently in the game.

Then we have the exposition. There is to much. Just as an example in the scene when we meet her boss.

MC: "Hey boss, [...]"
MC: He is James Maxwell, my boss. He is a great leader

The 2nd line is pointless. And most if not all of the following description (5 screens of text).
That does not add anything for the player. We dont need to know all of that stuff. "Show don't tell" - Its great when we can see that how he acts during the story.

MC: Mr Maxwell is such a great person, we all respect him and go above and beyond for him

And we know everything we need. His lastname and that the MC respects and likes him.

Way to many thoughts of the MC are exposition and borderline 4th wall breaking, because these are "thoughts" that are only there to give information to the player.

That's why I only skimmed through a lot of it. Make the words count - good text is essential and not filler or pointless exposition.

Oh - and good that the City got more population - but the voice over (and the patreon page) is still telling us that it is just a small city "The population of the city was 4.191 at the 2020 census but in 2022..." :)
That is the problem when your exposition is to detailed. I dont think that the exact number is important for the story - because it went from 4.191 to 20 million. :p

That is what I mean...

"The story takes place in Vaulinhorn, founded in 1714, a vibrant city with a thriving economy and rich culture and history. In the year 2022, strange things are happening in the city..."

All in all it is a solid start that needs a lot of polishing and refinement imho.

• Red Heart
Reactions: Celestial Novel

Celestial Novel

I Gave My Life To My Game
Game Developer
Jun 3, 2022
Ok - played it now.

My first thoughts.

Renders are decent. All the kids look meh or worse.

The writing is ... something. Its not really bad nor really good either ^^. I guess there are some grammar issues and typos and most of the text is describing the awesome look of the MC or way to much exposition. Sometimes the narrator describes her, sometimes everybody around her. Because we can read the thoughts of all of them, we know that every person is a horny pervert.

e.G. After the pool scene, after the narrator and several characters have already told us how hot the MC is, we get another sermon.

I guess when you just mark all the "mc is so hot" parts in the script, it might be about 20-30% of all the text currently in the game.

Then we have the exposition. There is to much. Just as an example in the scene when we meet her boss.

MC: He is James Maxwell, my boss. He is a great leader

The 2nd line is pointless. And most if not all of the following description (5 screens of text).
That does not add anything for the player. We dont need to know all of that stuff. "Show don't tell" - Its great when we can see that how he acts during the story.

MC: Mr Maxwell is such a great person, we all respect him and go above and beyond for him

And we know everything we need. His lastname and that the MC respects and likes him.

Way to many thoughts of the MC are exposition and borderline 4th wall breaking, because these are "thoughts" that are only there to give information to the player.

That's why I only skimmed through a lot of it. Make the words count - good text is essential and not filler or pointless exposition.

Oh - and good that the City got more population - but the voice over (and the patreon page) is still telling us that it is just a small city "The population of the city was 4.191 at the 2020 census but in 2022..." :)
That is the problem when your exposition is to detailed. I dont think that the exact number is important for the story - because it went from 4.191 to 20 million. :p

That is what I mean...

"The story takes place in Vaulinhorn, founded in 1714, a vibrant city with a thriving economy and rich culture and history. In the year 2022, strange things are happening in the city..."

All in all it is a solid start that needs a lot of polishing and refinement imho.
Thanks for your opinion, especially in the writing, I will try my best to improve it ;)

All the kids look meh or worse.
Could you specify who those kids are? Is it only the background characters or literally all of the kids? Other people have pointed that too and I will be glad if you maybe can provide me link for good DAZ kids character in your opinion, thanks;)

@PanDemonium

Jun 6, 2022
I dont see any new content ?? Why this posted again within a week or so ??

Btw LOL Linda model is used in more video games than Hamill voice for joker or those Ubisoft slave labors that giving voices for every of their games LOL

Celestial Novel

I Gave My Life To My Game
Game Developer
Jun 3, 2022
I dont see any new content ?? Why this posted again within a week or so ??

Btw LOL Linda model is used in more video games than Hamill voice for joker or those Ubisoft slave labors that giving voices for every of their games LOL
Hey, chapter 1b update mainly focuses on fixing the noisy renders and other improvements. You can watch the full changelog in this post

Reactions: The game master
3.70 star(s) 26 Votes