VN Others Father Figure [v0.5.0] [Xia Liu Bei]

3.40 star(s) 18 Votes

Aristos

Forum Fanatic
Dec 28, 2017
I did another playthrough including scenes you mentioned and got no errors whatsoever.
Hi, and thank you very much for your feedback.
Could you do one final thing for me, please? Can you please check if the background music during the interlude plays normally or if it's missing?

After reading your post I re-downloaded and re-installed the Renpy version and noticed something odd:
1) If I don't install Unren, some sounds such as the song during the interlude (Bring me an Angel) or the family feud buzzer are still missing in my game, but it never crashes; it just skips those sounds and the scenes are silent.
2) If I do install Unren, the game shows an error when it comes across a missing sound, and it finally crashes when we reach the convenience store scene.

Aristos

Forum Fanatic
Dec 28, 2017
The only issue I noticed (and it might have been because I sped through the game) is that some of the PNG overlays (like the X for risque bathing suits on Day 2, and the photos in photography scene on day 3) didn't scale properly, and some music was missing (Send me an Angel on Day 2, muzak in convenience store and music for toothbrush scene on day 3). But the game certainly ran smoothly. I think the errors mentioned earlier might be from someone using older saves from an earlier Ren'Py build, but that's just my guess.
This was the first time I ever played this game.
Apparently, it's due to using Unren, which is odd and never happened to me before. Out of habit, I install Unren every time I play a Renpy game.
As you also said and I mentioned in my previous post, some sounds are missing, and Unren makes the game crash for some weird reason when it enconters those missing sounds.

Reactions: Xia Liu Bei

MikeyUK

Apr 5, 2020
Hi, and thank you very much for your feedback.
Could you do one final thing for me, please? Can you please check if the background music during the interlude plays normally or if it's missing?

After reading your post I re-downloaded and re-installed the Renpy version and noticed something odd:
1) If I don't install Unren, some sounds such as the song during the interlude (Bring me an Angel) or the family feud buzzer are still missing in my game, but it never crashes; it just skips those sounds and the scenes are silent.
2) If I do install Unren, the game shows an error when it comes across a missing sound, and it finally crashes when we reach the convenience store scene.
I will check the relevent rpy files for these scenes. I have found the reason why Family-feud-buzzer fails to play, an error in the script - bgm instead of sound. These lines have been amended

Woodstock_1983

Sep 16, 2020
I wish you can stroll back. Also, the flow needs some work. Chapter two was boring because there wasn't anything to do.

-CookieMonster666-

Devoted Member
Nov 20, 2018
Are you kidding? No rollback and the 3rd goddamn choice is "Guess your daughters favourite food with zero clues"

Nope. done. out.
So save the game at that point, try a choice, and if you don't like the result just reload. I don't see why no rollback would prevent you from trying again.

Reactions: HornyyPussy

Rannell

Jul 29, 2020
Playing a game with a tag you clearly dislike and then whining about it is annoying AF and needs to end.
There are times that I can handle it and clearly this one went overboard by a large margin. Also there was zero indication that this would be the case before this update.

-CookieMonster666-

Devoted Member
Nov 20, 2018
There are times that I can handle it and clearly this one went overboard by a large margin.
"Ahegao faces are annoying AF" doesn't make it sound like you can handle them in general. Regardless, I realize that an ahegao tag doesn't indicate the specifics (like frequency) of the faces appearing, but it is still fair to say you were forewarned.

Reactions: botc76

MRMIdAS2k

Mar 21, 2018
So save the game at that point, try a choice, and if you don't like the result just reload. I don't see why no rollback would prevent you from trying again.
Because it shouldn't be a guess.

If you're given clues earlier in the game, then fine, but going "You lose points because you guessed a 1-in-3 shot wrong" is bullshit of the highest order. if you're gonna pull dumb bullshit like that in your game, you may as well just have the game start, it flip a coin, then give you the filth or a game over screen.

Also, I was expecting the game to have rollback, and this was the first choice where I needed to use it. I'd have saved if I was expecting bullshit like that, but I actually had faith in the Dev to not do something like that. Faith that was apparently misplaced.

Rannell

Jul 29, 2020
"Ahegao faces are annoying AF" doesn't make it sound like you can handle them in general. Regardless, I realize that an ahegao tag doesn't indicate the specifics (like frequency) of the faces appearing, but it is still fair to say you were forewarned.
Okay they "can" be annoying AF. Semantics matters sometimes. Sorry, eh.

-CookieMonster666-

Devoted Member
Nov 20, 2018

If you're given clues earlier in the game, then fine, but going "You lose points because you guessed a 1-in-3 shot wrong" is bullshit of the highest order. if you're gonna pull dumb bullshit like that in your game, you may as well just have the game start, it flip a coin, then give you the filth or a game over screen.

Also, I was expecting the game to have rollback, and this was the first choice where I needed to use it. I'd have saved if I was expecting bullshit like that, but I actually had faith in the Dev to not do something like that. Faith that was apparently misplaced.
It's literally within 5 minutes of starting the game. But w/e; just don't play then, if it bothers you so much.
Okay they "can" be annoying AF. Semantics matters sometimes. Sorry, eh.
I wasn't playing a semantics game with you, but it's not important to me how someone feels about it, so I'll let the matter drop.

Xia Liu Bei

The Last Emperor
Game Developer
Mar 11, 2019
It's not a guess. This was covered earlier in the thread:

https://f95zone.to/threads/father-figure-v0-3-2b-xia-liu-bei.110466/page-5

That said, I'm not going to argue or debate or defend my game. Everyone has different tastes. If people don't like the game engine or creative choices in this game, there's a lot more pirated games on this forum they can play for free in addition to this one.

As a developer you want to interact with players. We like positive feedback as well as constructive criticism. What can be depressing is dealing with the kind of nastiness and entitlement that comes with the anonymity of the internet.

I work hard to treat everyone here with respect. I answer the same questions repeatedly, page after page, without a hint of frustration. I listen to people complain about content in the game that is clearly listed in the tags without rebuttal. I listen to repeated complaints about the engine or lack of certain features over and over again, and make no attempt to justify or defend the engine I use. Because I know everyone has their own taste, and I respect that. So if there are people out there that don't want to play my game, fine. If you have to announce your departure and air your grievances before leaving, that's fine too. But if possible, could we please keep the nastiness and negativity to a minimum? Because it's not fun to put this much time and energy into something only to get slapped in the face for it.

-CookieMonster666-

Devoted Member
Nov 20, 2018
It's not a guess. This was covered earlier in the thread:

https://f95zone.to/threads/father-figure-v0-3-2b-xia-liu-bei.110466/page-5

That said, I'm not going to argue or debate or defend my game. Everyone has different tastes. If people don't like the game engine or creative choices in this game, there's a lot more pirated games on this forum they can play for free in addition to this one.

As a developer you want to interact with players. We like positive feedback as well as constructive criticism. What can be depressing is dealing with the kind of nastiness and entitlement that comes with the anonymity of the internet.

I work hard to treat everyone here with respect. I answer the same questions repeatedly, page after page, without a hint of frustration. I listen to people complain about content in the game that is clearly listed in the tags without rebuttal. I listen to repeated complaints about the engine or lack of certain features over and over again, and make no attempt to justify or defend the engine I use. Because I know everyone has their own taste, and I respect that. So if there are people out there that don't want to play my game, fine. If you have to announce your departure and air your grievances before leaving, that's fine too. But if possible, could we please keep the nastiness and negativity to a minimum? Because it's not fun to put this much time and energy into something only to get slapped in the face for it.
Personally, I think you do a great job. I quite enjoy the characters; the comments the MC makes to himself (about being "father of the year", etc.); the backstory you've provided so far. I think you're making what could be just another incest trope and adding depth to its characters and story. And, of course, you'll continue to improve over time.

MRMIdAS2k

Mar 21, 2018
Difference being, in MGS it:
A: TOLD YOU the solution was on the back of the CD case.
B: wouldn't lock you on the CODEC screen til you called Meryl.

If you want to keep your game concise. so be it, however, making the player read the additional material for the answer defeats the object of making a game concise, it's now not concise, but comes with what is essentially Homework, just in case you decide to pull that bullshit again.

I appreciate Game development is hard, but if it's not just me complaining about it, that may let you know that your way of doing things may not be the correct one.

• Angry
Reactions: Xia Liu Bei

HornyyPussy

Message Maven
Apr 26, 2020
Difference being, in MGS it:
A: TOLD YOU the solution was on the back of the CD case.
B: wouldn't lock you on the CODEC screen til you called Meryl.

If you want to keep your game concise. so be it, however, making the player read the additional material for the answer defeats the object of making a game concise, it's now not concise, but comes with what is essentially Homework, just in case you decide to pull that bullshit again.

I appreciate Game development is hard, but if it's not just me complaining about it, that may let you know that your way of doing things may not be the correct one.
Yes, because a few complainers on a pirate forum is usually a good measurement of success or failure.......

MRMIdAS2k

Mar 21, 2018
Yes, because a few complainers on a pirate forum is usually a good measurement of success or failure.......
Ah yes, because it's a pirate forum that automatically invalidates any and all complaints.

Give over, they're legit complaints about an annoying part in a game, if the dev has to "answer the same questions repeatedly" then it may just hint that the part is question is an issue that needs addressing, that's what the feedback here is for, so the dev can take critique onboard and improve their game.

Also, if the relatively small sample size of players here have complained already, what do you think is gonna happen when the game gets a more widespread release?

-CookieMonster666-

Devoted Member
Nov 20, 2018
Ah yes, because it's a pirate forum that automatically invalidates any and all complaints.

Give over, they're legit complaints about an annoying part in a game, if the dev has to "answer the same questions repeatedly" then it may just hint that the part is question is an issue that needs addressing, that's what the feedback here is for, so the dev can take critique onboard and improve their game.

Also, if the relatively small sample size of players here have complained already, what do you think is gonna happen when the game gets a more widespread release?
What about all of us who don't agree with you? What does that say in reverse? Sure, maybe more than one person complains as you do, but a bunch of us don't care / are fine with things, so does that mean your opinion is suddenly "not correct"? Of course not. Give it up, dude. You have your opinion, others of us have ours. All your opinion means is that what is done in the game isn't to your taste. Stop acting like anything but agreeing with you means the game's going to tank or something. What a silly argument to make.

3.40 star(s) 18 Votes