VN Others Father Figure [v0.5.0] [Xia Liu Bei]

3.40 star(s) 18 Votes

Xia Liu Bei

The Last Emperor
Game Developer
Mar 11, 2019
What a nice start to your newest game, Xia Liu Bei. Excellent characterization, the beginnings of what could be a very moving plot, and as always very nice models chosen for your renders. I anticipate this will be a very nice story and potentially a great VN in the end. Unless the intent is to move to Ren'Py later (I'm not saying the game should), I would suggest a couple of QoL improvements to make things a little more user friendly:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
I think that's all I would recommend with this first release. Thanks for sharing with us, and I'm looking forward to additional releases.
Changing the MC's name and an improved UI that allows more player control from inside the game (to adjust sound settings and so on) seem to be the two biggest QoL fixes people are asking for at the moment, so you guys can expect that in the next update.

I will also see what I can do about a warning for overwriting saves.

Thank you all for the constructive criticism and lovely feedback. It will help me improve the game for the next release.

And a big thanks to momo-san for the RenPy conversion, which I highly recommend to anyone frustrated by the Tyrano build.

Xia Liu Bei

The Last Emperor
Game Developer
Mar 11, 2019
I talked a little bit already about some QoL fixes you can expect in the next update, but I'll switch gears for a moment and talk about the story, and how it unfolds.

First, as anyone who has played any of my previous games know, I don't frontload my games with exposition. It is unnatural, and doesn't happen in any professional form of story-telling. As much as is possible, I work with Tolkien's mode of LKC (least knowledgeable character) as the player's point of view. You learn as your MC learns, not before.

Second, even though this is primarily a visual novel type of medium, I still want the player to have agency. I want players to be able to explore the world they are in. I'm not going to dominate the player with my own ideas about how they ought to interact with the world. As much possible, the world you are in is indifferent to you. No one is going to push you in this direction or that direction. If you get posed with a question you don't know the answer to, you can explore and look for the answer, or wing it. Either way is fine, and you aren't going to be punished for it.

There was a scene in Metal Gear Solid where you need to contact Meryl, but you don't have her codec number. You're told to look on the back of the CD case. That advice was literal. You had to look at the back of the CD case the game came in. To me that's fun. So, yeah, you're not always going to be spoon-fed information. That's not fun. Not to me.

Anathoth is a big place. There's a lot of backstory. A lot of it can't realistically be squeezed into a straightforward narrative. If people are interested, they can learn more about it in the "about" section. If not, again, player agency. You're free to play the game the way you want.

I try not to have throw-away decisions. Every choice reveals more of the story. Call Rose on your walk, and you learn more about Rose. Call your sister on that walk, learn more about her. There's no right or wrong way to play. Just your way.

So anyway, that's more on the game than I intended. Hope that clears things up. I'm not defending it, and I'm not debating it. I'm just clarifying it as best I can.

Last edited:

syc1980

Dec 8, 2018
Way too early. Not much going on yet. If you just want an introduction to characters, then play. Otherwise, wait til 2-3 updates.

-CookieMonster666-

Devoted Member
Nov 20, 2018
I'm sure the game engine is called Tyranobuilder not Others. Need more save slot.
Really? You're taking that literally? This has nothing to do with people not knowing what the engine is called. The reason for the label is that F95 doesn't have a label for every single gaming engine / interface that exists. They have major ones — Ren'Py, RPGM, Unity, Unreal Engine, HTML — but I guess Tyranobuilder isn't one of them. When a label specific to the actual engine / interface used doesn't exist on F95, they use [Others] instead. Maybe it will be added in the future, but I'm not sure.

TheDick69+

Jun 29, 2021
Unofficial Ren'Py conversion for Father Figure 0.1

For the people who wanted to play the game but can't or won't because of the engine. This conversion's goal was to give an identical experience in comparison to the original game. The link contains a Win/Linux and an untested Mac version. It's a quick conversion (and may also be my first time using Ren'Py) so if there may be bugs or if I have missed something, let me know.

PIXELDRAIN
I hated the engine so was going to quit the game. Then I saw this, downloaded and now I'm not gonna quit! No bugs that I noticed, so if I was to decide, keep up with RenPy. The game is worth that!
(y) :love:

gam2000

Apr 12, 2021
I just found this game this afternoon. I got it, uncrated it, and played it where it was was.
I did a save. Then, I moved it to my game folder and tried to play it again, but it said the save file was changed and needs to be deleted. I can't find it to delete it. Help?

gam2000

Apr 12, 2021
I just found this game this afternoon. I got it, uncrated it, and played it where it was was.
I did a save. Then, I moved it to my game folder and tried to play it again, but it said the save file was changed and needs to be deleted. I can't find it to delete it. Help?
Never mind. There were two .sav files in the main directory and I renamed them both.
Had to restart, but no problem.

b12345oft

Dec 20, 2021
Unofficial Ren'Py conversion for Father Figure 0.1

For the people who wanted to play the game but can't or won't because of the engine. This conversion's goal was to give an identical experience in comparison to the original game. The link contains a Win/Linux and an untested Mac version. It's a quick conversion (and may also be my first time using Ren'Py) so if there may be bugs or if I have missed something, let me know.

PIXELDRAIN
Thanks a lot ,, this is so much better

Reactions: XbfgX

BigDaddyDom

Mar 4, 2020
This game has huge potential! The renders of are beautiful, particularly of the two daughters :love: It's clear the dev put a lot of effort into the writing and how he wants the story to be experienced.

My requests/suggestions are the same as what several others have stated - hoping for a switch to renpy in the next update so the gameplay can be improved. Being able to skip, rollback, have multiple save slots, and set MC name are pretty standard now for games, so hoping that gets incorporated.

The dev taking the time to hear feedback and actually make changes is encouraging. Gives me confidence that he's committed to seeing this game through. Look forward to the next update!

3.40 star(s) 18 Votes