Dirkusmaximus

Aug 28, 2017
The above is exactly why I pulled my Patreon ... I love this game, but the extremely slow updates and the focus on constantly 'improving' rather than adding more content made me think that after over $100 spent during my time pledging that I simply was not getting enough for my money, not by a long shot!
I know what you mean. At the moment he appears to be trying to code from scratch a massively complex rpg system into twine with a vast number of different stats for all interactions, which he is then going to retrofit into the game. That's time-consuming and something he should have done first. I like the game and am a subscriber on patreon, but he needs to work more efficiently.

I suspect he's basically just put a proof of concept out there to bring in money and then once people subscribed actually decided to make the game properly.

DbatRT

Apr 8, 2018
Well, well, I'm not going to insist.
In fact, it is not necessary to make a cumbersome system or something like that. The main thing is not to forget that the world should react to some of the player's actions.
As for the implementation of this, it is completely decided by the developer. He knows what and how best to do it.
My task is to express my thoughts and to describe the idea as much as possible.

Reactions: Crushstation

Crushstation

Game Developer
Sep 21, 2017
Well, well, I'm not going to insist.
In fact, it is not necessary to make a cumbersome system or something like that. The main thing is not to forget that the world should react to some of the player's actions.
As for the implementation of this, it is completely decided by the developer. He knows what and how best to do it.
My task is to express my thoughts and to describe the idea as much as possible.
Thanks Dbat. I really like your ideas – thanks for taking the time to suggest them. I think you're right that the world needs to respond to the player's choices. We've started on this path with the game's Reputation system and will expand on it in the future.

Crushstation

Game Developer
Sep 21, 2017
I know what you mean. At the moment he appears to be trying to code from scratch a massively complex rpg system into twine with a vast number of different stats for all interactions, which he is then going to retrofit into the game. That's time-consuming and something he should have done first. I like the game and am a subscriber on patreon, but he needs to work more efficiently.

I suspect he's basically just put a proof of concept out there to bring in money and then once people subscribed actually decided to make the game properly.
I definitely do need to work more efficiently. This is the first piece of software I've ever released and I'm learning a lot of things as I go. Thanks for the support, DM, without the Patrons I would have given up on this ages ago.

Crushstation

Game Developer
Sep 21, 2017
The above is exactly why I pulled my Patreon ... I love this game, but the extremely slow updates and the focus on constantly 'improving' rather than adding more content made me think that after over $100 spent during my time pledging that I simply was not getting enough for my money, not by a long shot!

Perhaps I'll return when updates get more regular and worthwhile, but I'm not going to hold my breath
Firstly, thank you for the $100, I truly appreciate it. I'm sorry that the development is so slow – I'm still trying to figure out how to speed it up!

Crushstation

Game Developer
Sep 21, 2017
As she is supposed to be an undercover agent wouldn't fame be really bad.
Yeah, good observation! One solution to this will be the Red Wa, the gangsters who "protect" the red light district. By making them a real threat (through the Suspicion and Stress mechanics we're planning to introduce in Bangkok), we aim to create a story environment where it feels realistic for the agent to consider doing things that will harm her future career (like get the Stupid Whore tramp stamp tattoo that @DbatRT suggested)...just to throw off suspicion that she's more than she claims to be.

We're planning for the game to have a tailored epilogue for those who complete the mission successfully. Some agents will find it possible to return their agency as a heroine, others will find themselves too badly burned to be useful.

Reactions: Kazehana

Crushstation

Game Developer
Sep 21, 2017
This is the best twine game I've played and I appreciate the efforts to make it better and better. Love the avatar system.

There is however a limit on the constant improvement I'm willing to take, Twine games never seem to progress very far and this is very much the case with literally nearly no new content to move this story along.

I hope at some point the creator is satisfied with their architectural work and focus on fleshing out more content.
Thanks, Kymico, I'm really pleased you like what's there. :happyblush I personally can't wait to push the story forward. The architectural changes we're making now are laying the foundation for faster, easier and more interesting updates.

Reactions: Kazehana and kymico

DbatRT

Apr 8, 2018
This is the first piece of software I've ever released and I'm learning a lot of things as I go.
This explains a lot. I know how much time it takes to find information and only then study.
In fact, when I worked as a freelancer, and I came across projects where new knowledge was required for their implementation, I had to inform the customer about this and include extra time in the technical project for my training. This is normal practice.
Just warn people about it, that it takes a lot of time to learn.

Alleykatt

May 19, 2017
To be honest, I am not convinced by the Lifepath stuff. I think in part this is because I have formed a rather definite view of who she is at the start of the mission, so now earlier content jars with that somewhat. Ideally I would rather have a pure, dedicated agent who has worked hard and sacrificed to get to where she is in MI6 (or equivalent). This is because the fall in Bangkok becomes more impactful. But then the Lifepath will either force me to move away from that rather nerdy boring vision, or else make me miss content. So I am not sure if it fits.

On the other hand, I will definitely try it, and may be very pleasantly surprised!

Reactions: Woody-1

Crushstation

Game Developer
Sep 21, 2017
To be honest, I am not convinced by the Lifepath stuff. I think in part this is because I have formed a rather definite view of who she is at the start of the mission, so now earlier content jars with that somewhat. Ideally I would rather have a pure, dedicated agent who has worked hard and sacrificed to get to where she is in MI6 (or equivalent). This is because the fall in Bangkok becomes more impactful. But then the Lifepath will either force me to move away from that rather nerdy boring vision, or else make me miss content. So I am not sure if it fits.

On the other hand, I will definitely try it, and may be very pleasantly surprised!
Hey Alley, that's really interesting! Can you tell me a bit more about your vision for the character?

Sammy88

Dec 28, 2017
I definitely do need to work more efficiently. This is the first piece of software I've ever released and I'm learning a lot of things as I go. Thanks for the support, DM, without the Patrons I would have given up on this ages ago.
I love this game, any idea on the timeline in dev when we will get to bangkok?

gobbet

Oct 11, 2017
I haven't seen any of the Lifepath stuff yet, other than the public posts on Patreon, but I have long thought that a pretty high level of promiscuity really needs to be a requirement to even accept the job, at least as it's currently defined. I mean, if they just were pitching that she had to be a stripper, it's believable, but an actual prostitute is a bit much unless she already has an extremely casual attitude about sex.

So, when I was in college, I went through a phase where I thought it would be really cool to be a spy. And nooooo Sydney Bristow had absolutely nothing to do with that... So anyway, one of the things I pondered was, if I was a covert operative, could I sleep with someone as part of the job. I decided that I probably could if it was really important. If I got the pitch they give in the game, however, I'd nope the heck right out of that room.

It's probably way too late in the process to change, but I really do think it would work better from a narrative standpoint if the job were pitched as working at a strip club, and she'd have to seduce the target. So they tell her upfront that it's common for the strippers to have sex with the customers, but she only has to sleep with the ultimate target. Maybe when she gets there, however, sleeping with the clientele is more "encouraged" than she was led to believe. It could either be bad intel, or otherwise she was deliberately misled when given the mission. We already know (or at least suspect) that the psychiatrist is a bit shady.

So then this ties in with the whole corruption theme. Just how far is she willing to go? The more she declines to sleep with patrons, the greater her suspicion rises. Sleeping with patrons, however, increases corruption and stress. Being promiscuous in the Lifepath section, however, lowers (or maybe at high enough levels eliminates) the stress increase.

Reactions: quauwdsi

Alleykatt

May 19, 2017
Hey Alley, that's really interesting! Can you tell me a bit more about your vision for the character?
I think it is probably pretty hard to get picked as a secret agent. They will only take the best, and someone who makes themselves the best has probably not had a typical childhood. I am imagining a girl show is an only child. Her mother has died when she is young (12ish) so it is only her and her father. This has resulted in a desire for older men since he was such a focus in her life. She took over the usual (non-sexual) wife roles in the house, but was also rather booking and concentrated on her studies. Indeed her stubborness and slight OCD also led to her excelling as a track athlete, which together with her studies left little time for a social life. She won several track events and then went to Oxford on a Scholarship to read Asian Studies. During her university, as a way to build strength and endurance for the track, she got into martial arts, found a talent for it, and started competing. She graduated top of her class and won several kick-boxing tournaments. This caught the eye of MI6 recruiters and she became an agent, now focussed, with her particular single mindedness on becoming the best agent in MI6. I think it is that drive, that willingness to challenge herslef that led to her accepting the mission. It is her drive, her beauty, her familiarity with Asia and her intelligence that led them to choose her.

Not much sex there though. Maybe she can have an affair with her professor.

Reactions: Crushstation

Crushstation

Game Developer
Sep 21, 2017
I think it is probably pretty hard to get picked as a secret agent. They will only take the best, and someone who makes themselves the best has probably not had a typical childhood. I am imagining a girl show is an only child. Her mother has died when she is young (12ish) so it is only her and her father. This has resulted in a desire for older men since he was such a focus in her life. She took over the usual (non-sexual) wife roles in the house, but was also rather booking and concentrated on her studies. Indeed her stubborness and slight OCD also led to her excelling as a track athlete, which together with her studies left little time for a social life. She won several track events and then went to Oxford on a Scholarship to read Asian Studies. During her university, as a way to build strength and endurance for the track, she got into martial arts, found a talent for it, and started competing. She graduated top of her class and won several kick-boxing tournaments. This caught the eye of MI6 recruiters and she became an agent, now focussed, with her particular single mindedness on becoming the best agent in MI6. I think it is that drive, that willingness to challenge herslef that led to her accepting the mission. It is her drive, her beauty, her familiarity with Asia and her intelligence that led them to choose her.

Not much sex there though. Maybe she can have an affair with her professor.
That is really great feedback, thank you. :) I am happy to report that your exact character background should be possible in v1 of the Lifepath.

Reactions: Alleykatt

Xatham

Feb 27, 2018
I really enjoyed this when I played it, and have been waiting for more. Any idea of planned fetishes?

redwind21

Aug 16, 2017
Version 1.3.6.5 is out, but it's a disappointment in the sense that it's just more bug fixes, and no comtinuance of the story. I really love the game, but I am getting a wee bit impatient to see something new. As Confucius once said 'Man who walk through trurnstiles sideways going to Bangkok." I wish the game would get there. Maybe in another year?

Amedore

Jul 6, 2018
Sept 20, 2018 update report:
It turns out that my estimate of 86% was optimistic. In fact, only 38%of the screens are done. There's still a lot of work to do before release. :-(

I’m really sorry to have overestimated the progress.

More than two months without a real update, and now the guy says that. He's making about 2.800 $ per month in Patreon and there are fanboys here that attack as rabid dogs every single criticism about the game. There are things I simply can't understand... Or maybe understand too well when I remember what F. Schiller said about "the very Gods themselves"... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Crushstation

Game Developer
Sep 21, 2017
Sept 20, 2018 update report:
It turns out that my estimate of 86% was optimistic. In fact, only 38%of the screens are done. There's still a lot of work to do before release. :-(

I’m really sorry to have overestimated the progress.

More than two months without a real update, and now the guy says that. He's making about 2.800 $ per month in Patreon and there are fanboys here that attack as rabid dogs every single criticism about the game. There are things I simply can't understand... Or maybe understand too well when I remember what F. Schiller said about "the very Gods themselves"... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
Dude, if you can help me deliver the game faster I'm happy to share the $2800 with you.

Crushstation

Game Developer
Sep 21, 2017
Version 1.3.6.5 is out, but it's a disappointment in the sense that it's just more bug fixes, and no comtinuance of the story. I really love the game, but I am getting a wee bit impatient to see something new. As Confucius once said 'Man who walk through trurnstiles sideways going to Bangkok." I wish the game would get there. Maybe in another year?
Doing my best! :) My hope is that the systems we're building now will make future updates a lot quicker and easier.

Reactions: WildBoar7889
3.50 star(s) 113 Votes