rbx4

Jan 21, 2018
Yep, nobody here can neg me better than I can neg myself. I actually do have help with the writing from team and community members who improve every release, and to whom I've very grateful! If you yourself would like to talk to me about the game I'm Crushstation#8544 on Discord.
To me, this suggests that Crush didn't exactly get the point of what I said about a coach. I am not suggesting that he needs co-writers to improve the pace of Female Agent development. I would never be able to thrive with co-writers, and I think that they often lead to having too many cooks in the kitchen--therefore I do not advise them for a writer who is already unsatisfied with his own progress. An editor for finished product is welcome, of course, but that does not sound like what is mentioned there.

Instead, I suggest that Crush needs a coach to help analyze what is wrong with either his writing routine or approach, if he is unsatisfied with his own progress on Female Agent as he stated (if not, then the point is moot). If he is doing something else instead of writing, then he may want to change that. If he is writing in a self-defeating method, then a coach could identify that and guide him to more productive methods. Tough truths may be needed. It is not always helpful to get supportive comments. Tough truths can help people grow.

*Plus, I think it's not true that you can negative yourself better than anybody here can, or if so, then dang.

bloodbus

Sep 30, 2020
I think the newest version of Female Agent is better than whatever the previous version was going to be. This thread is drastically overstating the lack of content. I got more out of this version than the last one. The only thing I miss about the old version is the character's background because that gave some context for roleplaying.

TheDeviant

Aug 7, 2017

Hey guys! I had a great week on writing, including a long manic session that started on Wednesday morning and finished at 4 A.M. the following day.
I'm normally disciplined in my writing hours, so it was exciting to just work long and follow the muse. After two days of sobriety, I powered myself with booze and just wrote all night, like I was trying to be Hunter S Thompson or something. It was awesome.

As reported last week: the scene that was planned felt kinda flat and boring, an anticlimax after the first shift. The scene I'm bringing in to replace it feels much faster and more exciting. It's another big set piece that will significantly advance the plot.

When will it be ready?

There's still quite a lot to write: I think I need another 2-3 weeks (depending on whether smiles on my efforts). That means the next episode should release in 3-4 weeks, which is roughly the same time it took to produce the last episode.
I wanted to get this episode out faster than the previous one. I'm sorry I wasn't able to do this. I'm working long hours every day to get this episode on your screens as soon as possible.

Okay, that's it for the week! I'm going to rest for the evening and hit it hard again tomorrow. I'll report back on progress next weekend.

Reactions: KopretCZ

Joe Steel

Engaged Member
Jan 10, 2018
I think the newest version of Female Agent is better than whatever the previous version was going to be. This thread is drastically overstating the lack of content. I got more out of this version than the last one. The only thing I miss about the old version is the character's background because that gave some context for roleplaying.
Agreed, and I'd add that the lifepath element shouldn't be reconstructed until the main story is written in at least beta form and it is clear what the outputs of the life story need to be to feed the main story. The earlier version of the lifepath with the skrillion skills was needlessly complicated and thge player decisions were not intuitive nor rewarding.

As far as the writing goes, Crush would be well-served by hiring a writer to do the first draft of each scene. Crush seems intimidated by a blank page (I'm like that as well) but editing someone else's writing is a lot easier that writing or editing one's own writing. Lord know Crush can afford it.

Reactions: bloodbus

rbx4

Jan 21, 2018
The weekly post was nice, I definitely could empathize with the portrayed concept of writing long hours and working very hard. I don't believe that Crush is the type to stare at a blank page however. I think he is more the write-and-erase type, usually feeling that what is written is not good enough and starting over. *I am like that with art, looking at it, hating what I drew, erasing, and starting all over again.

I'm more of the write-and-revise type with text, going back to what I wrote later, when I am in a different mood.

Last edited:
Reactions: bloodbus

Kevin Smarts

Respected User
Game Developer
Jul 21, 2017
No, there are several regular posters of this thread that often goes very off topic, which then gets deleted.
I feel personally attacked. However, I shall stay on topic and say that I am looking forward to more of this wonderful game. I wish all involved the very best and hope they have a great St David's day.

Reactions: JackJoe

rbx4

Jan 21, 2018
Plus many posts get deleted for being connected to off-topic posts. Otherwise, we would be forced to conclude that talking about Female Agent itself is off topic. Of course this only happens because someone reports posts here. It doesn't happen in most other threads.

Joe Steel

Engaged Member
Jan 10, 2018
Deletions for off-topic happens in a lot of threads. It doesn't have to be reported and, in fact, I doubt that I've ever seen a post reported for being off-topic. I suppose that there are posters who do make such reports, which may explain why they think such reports happened here.

The point I made earlier about being intimidated by a blank page is pretty mucyh what i read into Crush's comments. He never thinks that his own work (starting from a blank page) is very good, perhaps because he struggles to get over the blank page, and then he seems to struggle with editing his own work. Getting an initial draft from someone means that he isn't editing his own work, he's editing someone else's so there's no ego involvement.

It certainly wouldn't hurt him to try. His current process is not working.

rbx4

Jan 21, 2018
Deletions for off-topic happens in a lot of threads. It doesn't have to be reported and, in fact, I doubt that I've ever seen a post reported for being off-topic. I suppose that there are posters who do make such reports, which may explain why they think such reports happened here.

The point I made earlier about being intimidated by a blank page is pretty mucyh what i read into Crush's comments. He never thinks that his own work (starting from a blank page) is very good, perhaps because he struggles to get over the blank page, and then he seems to struggle with editing his own work. Getting an initial draft from someone means that he isn't editing his own work, he's editing someone else's so there's no ego involvement.

It certainly wouldn't hurt him to try. His current process is not working.
The discussion of the existence or nature of off-topic reports is itself off-topic. Fun, but *someone* is watching and the thread would get yet shorter. Soon, the thread could get down to one page that is made up solely of Crush posts, which are I suppose on-topic by nature*.

Still, at the risk of being off-topic, let us look at this:

"Deletions for off-topic happens in a lot of threads. It doesn't have to be reported and, in fact, I doubt that I've ever seen a post reported for being off-topic"

As a fellow teacher, I discount points.

*It is not a tragedy, but is instead again tragicomic, if the thread reaches this state, and I would be amused and not troubled by that outcome. After all, memes do not become legendary memes by being commonplace instead of exceptional.

I don't know if Crush struggles with a blank page or not, or at least I have not seen evidence of it. I have read where he starts over after finding some writing unsexy, which is a well-known thing in creators in various activities. If this is true, I had advice for him. If people have a suboptimal situation and are aware of it, the next logical step is to try to solve it instead of coexisting with the problem indefinitely.

I'm not sure if he is actually receiving much writing that is started by others: haven't seen evidence either way. However, if this is happening or not happening, it could be time for a change either way.

**Also I find this an assertion that I never said anything ad hominem, which is patently false because I thought I had spent a great deal of time doing so intentionally (again off-topic, an Internet discussion of over 2 posts, without fallacies, is not Internet discussion at all). I didn't do that intentionally on accident (again, an impossibility). Still, let this not be a statement that I don't want a chew toy. Instead, I welcome chew toys.

Last edited:

KopretCZ

Jan 24, 2022
Then just say "it was reworked" like everyone else and don't cry? That's how "real" Devs do it, no? Having 2 chapters long game for years cuz they are "reworking it" :*

• Haha
Reactions: Marlin Brandy
Apr 3, 2019
Then just say "it was reworked" like everyone else and don't cry? That's how "real" Devs do it, no? Having 2 chapters long game for years cuz they are "reworking it" :*
Even if we're being generous and saying that the two versions are actually two completely different and unique games (which they obviously aren't, but let's say they are), it's barely enough for a "career" that started in 2017

Joe Steel

Engaged Member
Jan 10, 2018
Even if we're being generous and saying that the two versions are actually two completely different and unique games (which they obviously aren't, but let's say they are), it's barely enough for a "career" that started in 2017

This is very true, but, unfortunately, everything interesting hat could be said about Crush not progressing at anything like a reasonable rate was already said by the end of 2019.

3.50 star(s) 117 Votes