Apr 3, 2019
So just for fun, and even if Mr. Steel might come out and say "yes you're saying nothing new I'm always right" or something along those lines, I just thought it would be interesting to estimate how much longer the project might last to get to a "main story finished" state.

Each "episode" takes 12 weeks production+ 2 weeks "debugging/public release" on average (this one's going over that but let's be generous).

We currently have Three "episodes" of introduction: "meet the heroine", "landing in Bangkok", and "introducing the job".

How much is expected for "main story"? Well, assuming it's the same length of the current episodes, I would expect at least 6 more episodes for the meat and maybe another 2 or 3 episodes for the ending(s). Let's round to 10 of these production cycles to integrate lifepath and whatever else. That means we're looking at 140 weeks, or slightly above 2 and a half years for this to be "main story complete".

Reactions: ShamanLab

Kevin Smarts

Respected User
Game Developer
Jul 21, 2017
So just for fun, and even if Mr. Steel might come out and say "yes you're saying nothing new I'm always right" or something along those lines, I just thought it would be interesting to estimate how much longer the project might last to get to a "main story finished" state.

Each "episode" takes 12 weeks production+ 2 weeks "debugging/public release" on average (this one's going over that but let's be generous).

We currently have Three "episodes" of introduction: "meet the heroine", "landing in Bangkok", and "introducing the job".

How much is expected for "main story"? Well, assuming it's the same length of the current episodes, I would expect at least 6 more episodes for the meat and maybe another 2 or 3 episodes for the ending(s). Let's round to 10 of these production cycles to integrate lifepath and whatever else. That means we're looking at 140 weeks, or slightly above 2 and a half years for this to be "main story complete".
Seems optimistic, we're what 5 years in already and at ep 1.15

Riven

Aug 6, 2016
  • Haha
Reactions: nottuide

Kevin Smarts

Respected User
Game Developer
Jul 21, 2017
Irony is not just the opposite of wrinkly.

In any case, you should take this up on the appropriate board. None of your rules or your interpretations of them matter here.
I wonder if you have to go out of your way to be this obtuse or if its just a gift bestowed upon you by a malevolent deity.
As I stated at the start, I was only interested as it appeared that this game was failing to meet criteria to be considered a game. That wouldn't mean it couldn't exist here where everything from comics and art through stories and games can exist, it was more about the labelling being used, I was concerned people might be being mislead.

You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling...

32 hooker quests * 3 months per update = 96 months
96 / 12 = 8 years.

I would also love to know what does processing images entails, and why Jeff needs 6 days to do it.
We're so deep in the dream layers now I'm not even sure Jeff is real.

• Haha
Reactions: nottuide

Joe Steel

Engaged Member
Jan 10, 2018
I wonder if you have to go out of your way to be this obtuse or if its just a gift bestowed upon you by a malevolent deity.
As I stated at the start, I was only interested as it appeared that this game was failing to meet criteria to be considered a game. That wouldn't mean it couldn't exist here where everything from comics and art through stories and games can exist, it was more about the labelling being used, I was concerned people might be being mislead.
I'm going to just SMH at the grade-school insults and note that the game does meet the criteria you wrote to be considered a game. You might argue now that you are crap at writing rules and the rules at TFGS don't mean what you wrote them to say, but that's not my problem, nor the problem of the people you are concern trolling for.

Kevin Smarts

Respected User
Game Developer
Jul 21, 2017
I'm going to just SMH at the grade-school insults and note that the game does meet the criteria you wrote to be considered a game. You might argue now that you are crap at writing rules and the rules at TFGS don't mean what you wrote them to say, but that's not my problem, nor the problem of the people you are concern trolling for.
You start by complaining about insults yet all you do is insult me. If you want any respect you need to earn it boy.
Now the fact you can't tell the difference between meaningful and lasting is not my problem, but as I'm trying to be helpful here lets try again.

Are there any consequential choices in this game?
(consequential within the context of the game not mine or your life)

I hope this is clear enough and look forward to your answer.

• Angry
Reactions: Stretta and rbx4

Joe Steel

Engaged Member
Jan 10, 2018
You start by complaining about insults yet all you do is insult me. If you want any respect you need to earn it boy.
Now the fact you can't tell the difference between meaningful and lasting is not my problem, but as I'm trying to be helpful here lets try again.
Clearly, you cannot understand the difference between attacking a person and criticising their work. You were, after all, the one who stated that
When we were writing the rules I re-wrote this one myself. I know what it says and exactly what it means better than literally anyone.
and I just noted that you are crap at writing a rule if you are the only one who knows "what it says" and "exactly what it means." The purpose of writing rules is to make everyone equally aware of what the rules mean.

And it is clear that I am the one who can tell the difference between meaningful and lasting because you keep using them interchangeably. The rule you wrote says "lasting effects" and yet, here you are, still going on about things other than "lasting." Below, it is now "consequential." In popst 3902, it was "meaningful." You need to get a better dictionary.

Are there any consequential choices in this game?
(consequential within the context of the game not mine or your life)

I hope this is clear enough and look forward to your answer.
No, there are not, as I have stated in posts 3899 ("even choices in Bangkok should take a back seat to just getting the story told on a single path. Choices can be added later"), 3901 ("The game doesn't give meaningful choices yet") - quoted by you in 3902, 3911 ("the game doesn't give meaningful choices yet"), 3913 ("no one here is arguing that the game features [meaningful choice] yet"), and 3915 ("These are not meaningful choices, IMO"). Now I am saying it here for the sixth time in the last five days. If you don't comprehend it by now, I don't think that your comprehension is in the cards.

Kevin Smarts

Respected User
Game Developer
Jul 21, 2017
Clearly, you cannot understand the difference between attacking a person and criticising their work. You were, after all, the one who stated that

and I just noted that you are crap at writing a rule if you are the only one who knows "what it says" and "exactly what it means." The purpose of writing rules is to make everyone equally aware of what the rules mean.

And it is clear that I am the one who can tell the difference between meaningful and lasting because you keep using them interchangeably. The rule you wrote says "lasting effects" and yet, here you are, still going on about things other than "lasting." Below, it is now "consequential." In popst 3902, it was "meaningful." You need to get a better dictionary.

No, there are not, as I have stated in posts 3899 ("even choices in Bangkok should take a back seat to just getting the story told on a single path. Choices can be added later"), 3901 ("The game doesn't give meaningful choices yet") - quoted by you in 3902, 3911 ("the game doesn't give meaningful choices yet"), 3913 ("no one here is arguing that the game features [meaningful choice] yet"), and 3915 ("These are not meaningful choices, IMO"). Now I am saying it here for the sixth time in the last five days. If you don't comprehend it by now, I don't think that your comprehension is in the cards.
So basically its an interactive novel and you don't understand synonyms. Try starting with that next time instead of wasting everyone's time.

Reactions: Atlas

TheDeviant

Aug 7, 2017

Hey guys! I've been working my ass off trying to get it into good enough shape to release it today. It's playable, but there's still placeholder text I wasn't able to finish (a couple of the mini scenes are hard to nail) and it still needs editing and tightening up in a few places.
This episode has been dragging on and on so I'm going to just release it, whatever state it's in, on Friday April 15th, in five days.
Sorry it wasn't today. See you guys in five.

CassieBare

Game Developer
Jan 25, 2020
In the time it's taken him to release two *text* updates (and one's still not out yet), Eva Kiss has been able to re-do full art sequences, reimagine a character, redo a stat system -- all of it within a fully coded RenPy structure with many branching lines and conditions. Likely Ep 10 of ORS will be out before the next update here.

lexlexx

Mar 10, 2018
In the time it's taken him to release two *text* updates (and one's still not out yet), Eva Kiss has been able to re-do full art sequences, reimagine a character, redo a stat system -- all of it within a fully coded RenPy structure with many branching lines and conditions. Likely Ep 10 of ORS will be out before the next update here.
Don't say that joe steel will come out the woodwork to say some bullshit about how great Crush is at writing and how he works hard and how eva can't even compare.

3.50 star(s) 117 Votes