TheDeviant

Aug 7, 2017

Hey guys! I wasn't able to fix all 46 placeholders this week...I did 27, there are 19 left, so this episode isn't ready to release today.
Last week I was hoping that, if it weren't ready today, it'd be ready on the 31st (next Thursday). But I don't want to bullshit you: I need a day to integrate the new art (which is looking greta, lovely Victoria did an awesome job), and I'd be amazed if I can get all 19 placeholders written in just three days. I work long hours but I don't write fast enough.
There is an argument for just releasing whatever I've got, even with placeholders, on the 31st. Then Analysts+ can play the episode in its rough format, and their feedback will help me polish it for the general release 14 days later.
But I want the Analyst+ experience to be hot and interesting when you play it: right now it's still too rough for me to say it's worth your time to play it through. I need a little more time to get it right, so 1.15 will release in April not March.
How's it looking?

It's currently around 10,000 lines of code (with more to come as placeholders and art code are added). For reference: Episode 1.12 (Malaysia) was 6,600 lines; 1.13 (Bangkok) was 8,000; 1.14 (FNG) was 14,000. So this should feel like a big chunk of content.
A big story event happens in the next episode. No spoilers, but 1.15 changes something important for the heroine, and paves the way for a future plot development that is essential. It took some extra time to figure out how to do this and make it hot, but I think I worked it out in the end (with the help of lots of feedback and advice from team and community members).
I lose perspective when an episode is close to release, but I think it's hot when I'm playtesting it. I can't wait to share it with you guys – it just needs a bit more time in the oven before I can do that.

Okay, that's all for this week and I need to sleep because it's 0140 and I want to get in a good day of writing tomorrow! I'm so sorry for announcing a delay but hopefully it will be a short one. I love you guys and I wish I could write faster.

Marlin Brandy

Aug 18, 2018
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
I see things are constantly moving forward, but when are the different "modules" getting tied together into one product? When's the life path and current Bangkok content becoming one game from start to slightly further ahead?

Personal gripe: I'm assuming Crush says greta as a funny injoke. At first I thought it was the occasional misspell, but now it's really grinding my gears. It messes with my reading through

Joe Steel

Engaged Member
Jan 10, 2018
I don't think that plnning for the re-integration of the life story has even started. That might not happen until the Bangkok part of the story is finished. And that's smart, because the life path bit is an added feature, not a central one.

Apr 3, 2019
Personal gripe: I'm assuming Crush says greta as a funny injoke. At first I thought it was the occasional misspell, but now it's really grinding my gears. It messes with my reading through
Greta week that didn't start so greta, I got motivated with the lovely illustrator Victoria after I felt demotivated, more news soon™ my crab hands aren't fast sorry I wasn't fast enough.

1648494344541.png

Hooah

Nov 12, 2019
I don't think that plnning for the re-integration of the life story has even started. That might not happen until the Bangkok part of the story is finished. And that's smart, because the life path bit is an added feature, not a central one.
People keep saying "when bangkok is done", but isn't that the whole game? Like, I remember him posting up the huge design document for the whole thing years ago, and it's just a deep dive into this huge months-long intelligence operation in Bangkok. Gang wars, side missions, etc. Unless he's said otherwise, Bangkok is it. It's not supposed to be a whole "female spy life sim", it's her early life, her hiring, then her first major mission.

Reactions: D4n0w4r

Joe Steel

Engaged Member
Jan 10, 2018
People keep saying "when bangkok is done", but isn't that the whole game? Like, I remember him posting up the huge design document for the whole thing years ago, and it's just a deep dive into this huge months-long intelligence operation in Bangkok. Gang wars, side missions, etc. Unless he's said otherwise, Bangkok is it. It's not supposed to be a whole "female spy life sim", it's her early life, her hiring, then her first major mission.
It is not the entire game, as the earliest efforts showed. The game had a "life path" leading to Bangkok, and for years that was all it had. As far as I know, adding the life path back in someday is still in the cards, but it is a low priority. When I refer to when "the Bangkok part of the story is finished" I don't mean that there is an ongoing story for after Bangkok (though, who knows, there might be) but rather when Crush is done telling the Bangkok (main) story... indeed, I noted that "the life path bit is an added feature, not a central one."

Hooah

Nov 12, 2019
It is not the entire game, as the earliest efforts showed. The game had a "life path" leading to Bangkok, and for years that was all it had. As far as I know, adding the life path back in someday is still in the cards, but it is a low priority. When I refer to when "the Bangkok part of the story is finished" I don't mean that there is an ongoing story for after Bangkok (though, who knows, there might be) but rather when Crush is done telling the Bangkok (main) story... indeed, I noted that "the life path bit is an added feature, not a central one."
Yes, I know, I mentioned the early life stuff before. But that was before he got into the doldrums endlessly reworking the Dubai sex scene and taking trucker pills. He shared the whole story planning document for the entire game, and Bangkok, if it's ever finished, will be huge, easily dwarfing the prologue section.

Marlin Brandy

Aug 18, 2018
Should the lifepath not be reintegrated, then there's really no point in development -up to and from- now on that front right?
And how is it so optional that it can be reintegrated after the main story is finished, if it's supposed to determine your 'personality' and stat distribution to begin as an agent in Bangkok, supposedly leading to different event choices?
Unless, as Kristof29 suggests, it will be all done as you play through it and via choices in Bangkok, then there's even less reason to keep the whole lifepath thing. Honestly might just be better to repurpose that into a framework for another game. Maybe Female Sorority Days or sth

Vengeance_11

May 14, 2019
The latest Patreon post is just a very well worded excuse to drag the next release out to rake in another month of donations for no work. Every release gets delayed for weeks on end to the point that I can’t tell if he’s a smooth talking con man or an incompetent idiot who can’t manage his time effectively. It seems likely that he’s both.

Kevin Smarts

Respected User
Game Developer
Jul 21, 2017
The latest Patreon post is just a very well worded excuse to drag the next release out to rake in another month of donations for no work. Every release gets delayed for weeks on end to the point that I can’t tell if he’s a smooth talking con man or an incompetent idiot who can’t manage his time effectively. It seems likely that he’s both.
Just out of interest, how many death stars did you finish building?

Joe Steel

Engaged Member
Jan 10, 2018
Should the lifepath not be reintegrated, then there's really no point in development -up to and from- now on that front right?
And how is it so optional that it can be reintegrated after the main story is finished, if it's supposed to determine your 'personality' and stat distribution to begin as an agent in Bangkok, supposedly leading to different event choices?
Unless, as Kristof29 suggests, it will be all done as you play through it and via choices in Bangkok, then there's even less reason to keep the whole lifepath thing. Honestly might just be better to repurpose that into a framework for another game. Maybe Female Sorority Days or sth
I suggested some time ago that the lifepath be repurposed as a series of flashbacks to provide the reason why the MC makes the choices that she does, but don't know if that went anywhere. When all is said and done, maybe the lifepath will prove to be redundent, or maybe players will want to build the agent they want to take to Bangkok. Obviously, the Bangkok story will have to have choices in it for any of the characteristics accumulated in the lifepath to have meaning, but even choices in Bangkok should take a back seat to just getting the story told on a single path. Choices can be added later.

Apr 3, 2019
The game as it currently is, already gives you "choices" that don't really change much, at best it adds an extra slide of flavour text, at worst it's completely ignored and leads to the exact same result. I'm not even talking about the illusion of choice of "Path A and B eventually merge", I'm talking about "any of the three choices are followed by the same slide and text immediately afterwards"

Anyone thinking that the lifepath choices would matter and change the story "once it's put back in" is delusional.

Reactions: StenKilla and berny

Joe Steel

Engaged Member
Jan 10, 2018
The game as it currently is, already gives you "choices" that don't really change much, at best it adds an extra slide of flavour text, at worst it's completely ignored and leads to the exact same result. I'm not even talking about the illusion of choice of "Path A and B eventually merge", I'm talking about "any of the three choices are followed by the same slide and text immediately afterwards"
Precisely. The game doesn't give meaningful choices yet in order to accelerate telling the story. Additional branches of a story slows development in direct relationship to the number of paths being pursued.

It's like the Goldilocks story. You are complaining that the game is going too fast, others are claiming that it is going too slowly, and yet others think that it is about right. The third group, though, is the one putting their money where their mouths are.

Anyone thinking that the lifepath choices would matter and change the story "once it's put back in" is delusional.
Anyone thinking that the lifepath choices have even been identified yet is delusional. There's a reason why the lifepath planning is on hold, mentioned several time in this thread in this week alone.

Last edited:

Kevin Smarts

Respected User
Game Developer
Jul 21, 2017
Precisely. The game doesn't give meaningful choices yet in order to accelerate telling the story. Additional branches of a story slows development in direct relationship to the number of paths being pursued.

It's like the Goldilocks story. You are complaining that the game is going to fast, others are claiming that it is going to slowly, and yet others think that it is about right. The third group, though, is the one putting their money where their mouths are.
Without meaningful choices, is it even a game?
I ask this genuinely as it is a criteria for games on TFGS being classed as a game

belallo

Dec 17, 2019
There are a few meaningful choices that give you different scenes or different relationships with NPCs. Some of them are a choice between seeing content or not seeing content, but to be fair the foundations of a choice-based game are there. They're just far less obvious than the zillion fake choices where you get to pick whether your agent says 'hey' or 'good morning' to their boss, or if your agent earns a useless skill point in water polo vs a useless skill point in hermeneutics or something.

Joe Steel

Engaged Member
Jan 10, 2018
Without meaningful choices, is it even a game?
I ask this genuinely as it is a criteria for games on TFGS being classed as a game
It certainly isn't a complete game yet. Lots of "games" on TFGS don't have meaningful choices yet, either, and that's true of a number of games here as well. The TFGS criteria is actually that "[t]here should be some player interaction that will have lasting effects" and that's clearly present in Female Agent. Even if this game didn't meet some TFGS criteria, that site is the one on which to bring the issue up. Those criteria are meaningless here.

yaryaryar

Apr 30, 2018
Bruh yall need to take a step back and realize what we're commenting on.

We're commenting on a smut story that focuses on fantasy fullfilment of a sexy spy which you can customize and which Crush does a good job of writing sexy situations for.

And if you're rubbing one out to it, that should be good enough for a big thumbs up lol

3.50 star(s) 117 Votes