Atlas

Aug 5, 2016
People need to understand the game will be linear for awhile because managing and adding branching story lines is like developing a new game for each branch.
No. Having branching choices that change the story is literally what separates a game from a novel. How many years has Crush had to plan what those choices will be and how each branch will go? Does anyone else remember the storyboards and roadmaps? How has there been so little planning with so much documentation? Is this even an RPG? No, instead we get to choose which Swiss Canton we hail from because that influences our ability to appreciate chocolate. No, instead we get to simulate the sexual history of the protagonist and other trivia. Sex minigames that are essentially clickers are not engaging and actually take more time to create than a simple scene with a choice between a blowjob and a hand job.

Joe Steel

Engaged Member
Jan 10, 2018
No. Having branching choices that change the story is literally what separates a game from a novel. How many years has Crush had to plan what those choices will be and how each branch will go? Does anyone else remember the storyboards and roadmaps? How has there been so little planning with so much documentation? Is this even an RPG? No, instead we get to choose which Swiss Canton we hail from because that influences our ability to appreciate chocolate. No, instead we get to simulate the sexual history of the protagonist and other trivia. Sex minigames that are essentially clickers are not engaging and actually take more time to create than a simple scene with a choice between a blowjob and a hand job.
I'm don't think that adding choices between blowjobs and hand jobs would add anything at all to the game.

The argument that this isn't a game because there are no story-changing choices yet assumes that the entire game will be, when finished, as lacking in choice as the story so far. I see no basis for such an assumption. Is this an RPG yet? No. Will it be one when done? That remains to be seen. The plan is to have it be something along those lines (though likely without leveling).

The story maps we saw a year-plus ago had the MC becoming a prostitute immediately upon arrival in Bangkok. A year ago, Crush decided that that was rushing things, and so he altered the story to add the "intro" section we are now seeing to get her from arrival to bar girl via the topless bartender job. There really aren't any choices to be made yet in the story, since it has to end in her becoming a bar girl/prostitute for the rest of the story to work.

So, criticisms of the slow writing are certainly apt, but criticisms about the inability of the player to derail the story are not. Choices that add complexity in routes to the same end would just slow own the story progression without adding anything other than an illusion of choice. There are plenty of games with the illusion of choice here at F95, if that's what you want to see.

Reactions: restlez

Sharpx21

Jun 23, 2021
I personally don't always like choice games - very few games pull off choices/branches real well. It usually means you have to choose content to see and replay the game or load saves to see other stuff. This is why for the vast majority of the good games that exist.... there are multi-mods. Puzzles are also not too popular in these types of games, and RPGM with excessive walking and grinding fighting/sandbox games are also usually poorly created. Very few sandbox games are actually good. Very few choice games are actually good and they come with cheats/multi-mods/or minimally a gallery unlock even when they are. Very few RPGM/puzzle games are actually good... Seeing a trend here? The criticism I see in this thread should and can be applied to tons of other arguably better games - so end of the day your arguments are hypocriticial and just motivated by shitting on the developer for past behaviours. The game could be better sure, the update was about a month too long, some things could have been cut/focused on less and other things expanded... but i wouldn't say this update was 'A wife and mother' levels of atrocities here.

Everyone agrees - including crushstation - that the game is not an RPG currently.

My opinion is that the game needs to push on the art department. Describing scenes fully 100% with text especially when those scenes having nothing to do with the protagonist... isn't as good as maybe lightly describing a character/scene that was drawn out by the artist. It wouldn't be too difficult for Female Agent artist to draw up a paper doll of eight or so strippers, and some other main characters so then crush doesn't need to write 200 words describing what they are wearing or the scene... their figure and clothing can actually appear on the right of the screen (while kates paperdoll is on the left).

Last edited:

Riven

Aug 6, 2016

Hey guys! I had a great week on writing, including a long manic session that started on Wednesday morning and finished at 4 A.M. the following day.
I'm normally disciplined in my writing hours, so it was exciting to just work long and follow the muse. After two days of sobriety, I powered myself with booze and just wrote all night, like I was trying to be Hunter S Thompson or something. It was awesome.

As reported last week: the scene that was planned felt kinda flat and boring, an anticlimax after the first shift. The scene I'm bringing in to replace it feels much faster and more exciting. It's another big set piece that will significantly advance the plot.
Contrary to Crush's assurance I thought sex scenes in this update were rather short and stale. I copypasted first one into a single file
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
to count words and I've ended with a staggering number 633 (503 without repetitions in the last part). So, yeah... no wonder every update takes 3-4 months to produce, if this is a result of a 'greta' week.

rbx4

Jan 21, 2018
The whole idea of comparing lack of choice, illusion of choice, and choices with lasting consequences seems to be beside the point at best. Games are entertainment, and the best goal is to have entertaining elements in the game: whichever of the 3 possibilities just mentioned simply needs to feel entertaining. The idea of one being better than the other need only focus on two things: which one will be the best entertainment, and which one can Crush do? I've been of the opinion that Crush gets in his own way, and that he has plenty of talent that gets squandered in various ways. Some of the worst obstacles are ones created by oneself. This is assuming that he wants to create efficiently and effectively. I can only take his word at face value on that.

Reactions: kcj300 and restlez

StenKilla

Oct 6, 2019
People need to understand the game will be linear for a while because managing and adding branching storylines is like developing a new game for each branch. I think crushstation is just trying to get a decent foundation in first before he branches with paths and options in the sex scenes.
The people understand it's the dev who is overambitious with this whole open-world thing... People were calling for a simpler VN type of game as far as 2018-2019. After 4-5 years of stubbornness recent updates show that's where this is going and updates have become larger and dare I say more frequent.

Apr 3, 2019
I'm don't think that adding choices between blowjobs and hand jobs would add anything at all to the game.
I do.

I'm not saying that just to be contrarian or anything like that, it's just that, if I want to play a (non sexual) linear VN, or even a VN with choices, I just have way better quality and quantity to choose from. But there aren't that many choices for high quality, sexual choices in a game.

Call me crazy if you will, my point is that I play sex games for the sex, and being able to choose is good. Saying that "adding sex choices (in a sex game) wouldn't add anything" is kind of like saying "adding gun choices (in a shooter game) wouldn't add anything".

Atlas

Aug 5, 2016
I do.

I'm not saying that just to be contrarian or anything like that, it's just that, if I want to play a (non sexual) linear VN, or even a VN with choices, I just have way better quality and quantity to choose from. But there aren't that many choices for high quality, sexual choices in a game.

Call me crazy if you will, my point is that I play sex games for the sex, and being able to choose is good. Saying that "adding sex choices (in a sex game) wouldn't add anything" is kind of like saying "adding gun choices (in a shooter game) wouldn't add anything".
To put a finer point on it, I was referring to the sex combat system where you have to build arousal or choose what "move" to perform. Writing a sex scene with a choice between doggy and missionary has to be easier than programing and bug testing a sex combat system.

jamiroq

May 2, 2019
To all the recent, perfectly valid criticism - I'll do you all one better:
click... 2 lines of text
click... 5 lines of text (character opens mouth)
click... 3 lines of text (character closes mouth)
So much pointless clicking in this laggy project. It's actually becoming too time-consuming to even skim through content.

Reactions: belallo

Joe Steel

Engaged Member
Jan 10, 2018
I do.

I understand your argument, but my counter-argument is that, if it makes a significant difference in the game whether I choose to engage in a BJ versus a HJ in an otherwise-identical sexual situation, the game is doing it wrong. There is no way a player can objectively evaluate the significance of a BJ vs HJ (I've gotten both, and the outcome was very similar).

Ditto, if I am in a shooter game and have the choice between a Rexonian Blaster (which wins every combat) and a Dukkan Wave Gun (which loses every combat), then that's not a real choice. Just having choice is meaningless. It is well-thought-out consequences of a choice that make choice decisions interesting. In the case of this game, Crush doesn't want there to be meaningful choices yet, because he already knows what the end-state of the character needs to be from this phase of the story, and so choices at this point can't be meaningful. Putting in pointless choices like BJ vs HJ would just slow down development without improving player enjoyment.

Sharpx21

Jun 23, 2021
I understand your argument, but my counter-argument is that, if it makes a significant difference in the game whether I choose to engage in a BJ versus a HJ in an otherwise-identical sexual situation, the game is doing it wrong. There is no way a player can objectively evaluate the significance of a BJ vs HJ (I've gotten both, and the outcome was very similar).

Ditto, if I am in a shooter game and have the choice between a Rexonian Blaster (which wins every combat) and a Dukkan Wave Gun (which loses every combat), then that's not a real choice. Just having choice is meaningless. It is well-thought-out consequences of a choice that make choice decisions interesting. In the case of this game, Crush doesn't want there to be meaningful choices yet, because he already knows what the end-state of the character needs to be from this phase of the story, and so choices at this point can't be meaningful. Putting in pointless choices like BJ vs HJ would just slow down development without improving player enjoyment.

there is a blow job or handjob choice, so it's funny this is the hill people chose to die on...

I always choose the blow job, because who the hell would want to do the handjob scene? someone with a hand fetish? and I'm not loading a save just to see what that scene is like. So i actually don't care if it's identical story wise to the blow job scene. But this is the type of gamer I am... I just don't like choices and I choose the choice that is more... depraved anyway.

That being said... i think the handjob scene allows your character to listen to more intel when her boss is on the phone, but blow job scene makes it harder for kate to hear what the conversation is? this probably has an impact later on? but also don't really care. I actually don't want a game that presents too many branches so when you play a release, you only experience like 5 minutes of content because all 5 branches were worked on and you're only interested in 1. that is exactly what 'A wife and mother' game suffers from... and in this case crush also released 4 playable days and A wife and mother does like a half day of play after 8 months development rofl. Yes, that's what happens when you have 20 characters and can't prioritize and do all the content at once, and branch the story 8 different ways. I don't have time for that shit.

Bottom line is that few developers add choices and get it right. Maybe only our red string etc. Can't really think of many games that do it with good development times/content... and even for redlolly developer, for the game good girl gone bad, there is so much content i will never see, that is like a puzzle to unlock and I can't be bothered with the branches... I don't want to break my head figuring out what choices to make to see scenes i want to see and it's even fucking hard to figure it out WITH THE WALKTHROUGH. i refuse to replay the same game 20 times. walkthroughs are nice but some of these games don't even have a walkthrough so it's worse... and that's when i don't even bother with the game after. Fashion bussiness, great game, i actually like it, but I can't play that grindy shit more than once, and I don't back up saves soo.... until there is a cheat mod i won't touch that either.

but i guess the people complaining here enjoy these mechanics.... and somehow don't find fault with the games that have them. interesting.

for our red string, i legit just play the optimal whore/most sex choices, and gallery unlock everything else i missed. this is what i assume most people do.... if someone is actually having 4 playthroughs of a game on 4 different saves and somehow keeping track of all that shit... just the thought of that waste of time makes me cringe. but i stopped being a big gamer 10 years ago. lucky if i spend more than 1 hour a day on any modern games today.

but i'm also someone who dislikes ironmode/and rogue likes. I realized these games are modelled after life. can't fix your mistakes, there is no save to go back and try again, you live with your choices and consequences. fucker i'm playing games to escape real life not experience the brutality first hand in a game. hate that genre of game. i need to save scum minimally... but i also don't like it if the saves get too convoluted with different paths. I'm the type of gamer who played every RPG game as a good character and never touched it again as an evil one. So there is a whole 50% of most games i never experienced and i'm not interested in seeing. i just want the content i want, if updates have to take 5 times as long because the dev is making content for 4 other people that i'm not interested in.. well fuck that.

Last edited:

rbx4

Jan 21, 2018
I find it interesting and amusing that someone might have paid approximately $240 to get a game that is going to play the same way every time it is started, but people are funny. If everyone did everything the same way every time, people wouldn't be so interesting. That said, I hope that the final version of the game has something more interesting than that, where details could matter.

StenKilla

Oct 6, 2019
wall of text
I agree with this review. Sorry if I'm noob but what do you mean by "coyote walk"?

On the pace of writing. It seems to me Crush is like I am at cooking. I try to do 10 different things at once and in the end a meal that should have taken me 30 mins takes 2 hours. After I'm emotionally and physically drained heh xD. Maybe I should take up meditation or yoga to organize my thoughts hmm.

Joe Steel

Engaged Member
Jan 10, 2018
I agree with this review. Sorry if I'm noob but what do you mean by "coyote walk"?
That's when they leave the bar to try to draw in customers. It was fun to read about in detail the first time in 1-14, not so much when they did it again in 1-15

StenKilla

Oct 6, 2019
That's when they leave the bar to try to draw in customers. It was fun to read about in detail the first time in 1-14, not so much when they did it again in 1-15
Ah yes seemed to be a "filler" with Sam injected into it. Also but slap scene was kinda copy-paste from the first day. Wish it would've been more in-depth this time. Like as it was a "hard" slap maybe MC would've lost balance broken her heel and fell into someone's lap and see where things go from there. Tho not too far because I think that would be too early. But as I understand the Bar patrons are testing her limits a little to see how far would she let em go. They know shes still a bartender and according to MC that's all shell ever be and everyone around her are trying to corrupt her into more.

Leiafanman

Jun 22, 2017
There was something about getting seen on CCTV if you flash or whatever during the coyote walk that I thought might tie into content later. Could be interesting if the MC has to pay-off or otherwise deal with the local authorities if she ticks them off.

StenKilla

Oct 6, 2019
There was something about getting seen on CCTV if you flash or whatever during the coyote walk that I thought might tie into content later. Could be interesting if the MC has to pay-off or otherwise deal with the local authorities if she ticks them off.
Dont think so. In the dialogue with Connor's boss, he says that MC shouldn't worry about the police because the OC has bribed em. If she ever has problems with them just tell someone to eat HCC and it will be resolved. This of course can lead to interesting scenes where MC goes to complain that the police are on her ass and what do her bosses do? Send her as a bribe to the police hehe

Kristof29

Aug 6, 2016
This update was ok in terms of content. It would not have been disappointing if it had come out 2 months earlier. In my opinion every single scene does not need to be overly sexual/sensual/erotic etc. It would be nice if there was some regular stuff in there along with the sexy stuff. Makes for a good balance.

Crushstation , if you are reading this my advice to you would be to not lose your mind over the fact that the mc getting her tits groped on the 4 th day at her cover job isnt sexy. It doesnt need to be. She can still be affected by it and that can influence her other actions, but for us readers we want more than just groping. You have already setup the vip room so i am guessing you are going there. And not just the vip room. Outside of the job events would be interesting as well. The mc can have a regular day at her job but have interesting stuff happen in between shifts.

Also i dont know if you are still going for that sandbox style gameplay you said sometime ago (last year?). That would be interesting too. You dont need a hundred stats for that to work either. It can purely be choice driven or mission driven.

If you can find a way to get updates faster then i dont see most people having any complaints. Some will complain no matter what, so ignoring them is best.

Apologies if am jumping the gun because you have all this stuff planned but have not yet implemented it or is in the process of doing so. This game has a lot of potential and i would like to see you and this game succeed.

StenKilla

Oct 6, 2019
One thing that is concerning is that 2 days after the update hit this forum and discord is pretty much dead. I was looking forward to discussing what's happening in-game but nobody is around heh.
Decided to start supporting the dev beginning this month because we finally arrived in Bangkok and progress should be rewarded.
Played through 1.11 just now and liked it. Seems dev toned down on his ambition to a realistically achievable level and that's awesome. Tho I preferred the 1.6.3 version avatar because it was more feminine than the current one. The current body type is too much for my liking she looks like a bouncer. But that's a minor complaint. I would ask to scrap the avatar completely if it takes so much dev time heh :).

Apr 3, 2019
Tho I preferred the 1.6.3 version avatar because it was more feminine than the current one. The current body type is too much for my liking she looks like a bouncer. But that's a minor complaint. I would ask to scrap the avatar completely if it takes so much dev time heh :).

The current avatar can give you some haunting images though:

1650277714440.png

3.50 star(s) 117 Votes