CassieBare

Game Developer
Jan 25, 2020
And then right after he expected *praise* for announcing he's done with 2A, this response on Discord:

"Take your time, sweetheart. Don't push yourself. Players will wait. Your work is always full of quality, and quality require time"

Man. It confounds the mind.

Reactions: TheGuyverOne

boobthief

May 25, 2017
And then right after he expected *praise* for announcing he's done with 2A, this response on Discord:

"Take your time, sweetheart. Don't push yourself. Players will wait. Your work is always full of quality, and quality require time"

Man. It confounds the mind.
The discomfort you may be feeling is cognitive dissonance.

You want this game so much that you cannot stand someone praising their progress on the game you want to play. Hard to reconcile.

It's hard for people to understand that a lot (i.e. thousands of people) support the development of this game with their hard-earned money because they want to.

If you don't want to support the game financially - just don't - but don't cry about how you did everything in your impotent power to stop the game you want to play.

Deniz31

Jul 25, 2017

Hey guys! Just finished whipping sex scene 2A into shape. Here's where we are now:
(That's three more scenes turned green since last time.)
I've been really tired post-COVID. I've been working every day, but feel like my brain's battery has been running out of charge much faster than usual. But yesterday and today have been better, I was able to work 0900-1940 today and I feel tired but not exhausted.
I'm gonna take the rest of the night off, and get right onto sex scene 2B tomorrow morning.
This is a different scene in a different location with a different partner from 2A, so it's not as simple as cutting and pasting 2A into 2B and changing a few variables. But a large part of 2A was nailing the heroine's emotional beats throughout the scene, and that work should be usable as a framework tomorrow.
What I'm saying is that hopefully 2B and 2C will go down faster than 2A. I'll report again when 2B is done so you can get a feel for velocity.
Again, I'm sorry this has taken so long and a sincere thank you to everybody who's sent me a message of support during a very stressful time. I'm working on it as hard as I can.
Hope to be back in comms very very soon.

Apr 3, 2019
People like game

People give money to game

Game developer gets lazy*

People keep giving money

Game developer keeps being lazy*

Even without other experience, it's not that crazy to suggest this pattern might be happening. People ocasionally get lazy about their work. A warning can work wonders (I've personally worked in different teams at different companies, and giving a warning to the lazy/troublesome employee can genuinely work wonders for the team as a whole and that member in particular)

It's really not that crazy to understand why people are saying "stop giving him money for nothing". Yes, for some, it might come as "revenge". But for many, it's just a way to encourage the developer to actually work harder.

You might think that this is not the case, but if his livelihood was in danger, he would absolutely do his best to restore that.

* It's subjective whether or not this is a case of laziness or something else

boobthief

May 25, 2017
People like game

People give money to game

Game developer gets lazy*

People keep giving money

Game developer keeps being lazy*

Even without other experience, it's not that crazy to suggest this pattern might be happening. People ocasionally get lazy about their work. A warning can work wonders (I've personally worked in different teams at different companies, and giving a warning to the lazy/troublesome employee can genuinely work wonders for the team as a whole and that member in particular)

It's really not that crazy to understand why people are saying "stop giving him money for nothing". Yes, for some, it might come as "revenge". But for many, it's just a way to encourage the developer to actually work harder.

You might think that this is not the case, but if his livelihood was in danger, he would absolutely do his best to restore that.

* It's subjective whether or not this is a case of laziness or something else
Genuine questions:

#1 Do you think you could do better? If so why not make a similar game (the tools they use are freely available) and rake in the same or presumably more money because your game is so much better. I would genuinely be interested to play your game. Do it, please!

#2 Or, on reflection, do you think this is more difficult than giving a lazy/troublesome employee a warning?

#3 Or do you think giving a creative type deadlines doesn't always work? How's GRRM's TWOW going? How's the Star Citizen PU going?

Genuinely interested in your answers. Maybe tomorrow you start work on a very similar game that is better in every way. Maybe not. I know I couldn't do it. But maybe you could - when's your first release - next week?

Deniz31

Jul 25, 2017
I always thought economic success of this game is due to right pricing (most of developers are so greedy that they release their games to huge tiers but you can get this one for 1$ with a small delay) and good marketing (social media presence, presentation of the game etc.)
If you check the amount of supporters you can see the pattern.

1$ supporters ≈ %62,4

5$ supporters ≈ %31

10$ supporters ≈ %6,3

20$ supporters ≈ %0.3

Most of them are on lowest tier so they don't care much if they get something or not.

Talked about developer, now even though we always complain why are we here?
There is not much competition, closest game to this one gets developed so slow that this game might count as fast development compared to it. :ROFLMAO:

Apr 3, 2019
Genuine questions:

#1 Do you think you could do better? If so why not make a similar game (the tools they use are freely available) and rake in the same or presumably more money because your game is so much better. I would genuinely be interested to play your game. Do it, please!

#2 Or, on reflection, do you think this is more difficult than giving a lazy/troublesome employee a warning?

#3 Or do you think giving a creative type deadlines doesn't always work? How's GRRM's TWOW going? How's the Star Citizen PU going?

Genuinely interested in your answers. Maybe tomorrow you start work on a very similar game that is better in every way. Maybe not. I know I couldn't do it. But maybe you could - when's your first release - next week?
#1 I'm not sure if I could do better, I could probably push out more consistent updates with (arguably) less quality because I value consistency over "first time perfection". What I do know is that I have a full time job that doesn't really leave me with much time or mental energy and creativity to dedicate to a project like this

#2 See above.

#3 I mean, you're using two of the worst examples (or best, if the argument is "projects that never end"). How about the many kickstarter games that ship on time (or at worst, a few months late)? How about Stephen King publishing a new book pretty much every year for the past 40+ years?

Seriously, the "WELL WHY DON'T YOU DO IT" argument is so silly. I don't need to be an expert chef to know when some food is raw, or dry. I might also not have the time to devote to learning how to consistently cook something to perfection.

Arkady

May 15, 2018
That's not an argument, and you know it. You know it because you have without a shadow of a doubt at some point in your life criticized someone for doing a bad job at something you can't do better, just know someone else who could do it better. So don't be that hypocrite resorting to a troll's pseudo-argument despite knowing its fatal flaw.

Anyways, Crush. Upon coloser examination, he clearly can write a text to a deadline and publish it when it is good enough. If he really were as totally incapable of that as he constantly pretends, he couldn't possibly keep up his cycle of endless weekly Patreon posts full of excuses, let's call a spade a spade, shit.

But Deniz31 has a good point. So many patrons at the lowest tier, chances are a lot of them are just in it for the entertainment of the well-written weekly fictitious accounts of how hard he worked on not getting anything done. That is indeed entertainment in its own right, and I probably should consider supporting that.

Then again, I know plenty of creatives that will actually deliver goods for my money in a timely fashion. So nuts to Crush getting any of it.

D4n0w4r

May 21, 2020
At this point it's more akin to a train wreck fascination. It's like watching yandev shoot himself in the foot, or the entire debacle with HTH and the various LoK projects that never go anywhere.

TrustyOldPatches

Game Developer
Sep 12, 2020
I would do it, unfortunately my skills end at writing. I could pick up some of the rest, but not art or coding fast enough make a product. I've tried multiple times to assemble a team, but art is where I come up short.
I would be willing to do the renders for a game like this one, as they shouldn't take too much time from my own projects, and the code in twine shouldn't be too hard either. I'll pm you with some of my art.

Apr 23, 2017
Seriously, the "WELL WHY DON'T YOU DO IT" argument is so silly.
Okay, our Boeings 737 Max has been falling from the skies because we outsource software for junior Indian developers for 7$ hour salary, why don't you go and create your own airplane company? You could write your own software for it too!

It seems that some people will try to shut up anyone who tries to raise their head above the norms of conformity and attempt to engage in a intellectual process. Enjoy what you're given and stay silent, right.

Realistically, it comes down to encouraging unproductive behavior. See the famous "Day in the life of Twitter employee with a 6 figure salary". So, people who claim "Why are you counting my money?" doesn't understand how their financial decisions affect others pastime activities. I don't think we have any leverage to improve current situation. But I'm just tired of seeing, honestly speaking, great ideas that are going trough a development hell or even abandoned altogether. That's one way to grow an apathy.

rbx4

Jan 21, 2018
Hey it's coming full circle. Some here have probably seen all this before and been through it. For anyone who hasn't: some hundreds of deleted posts would be very much like the past 2 or 3 pages. Most likely some "mysterious personality" will show up and argue endlessly with those who have been criticizing Crush, and there will be mass deletions. Been there, seen that.

• Hey there
Reactions: Kevin Smarts
Apr 3, 2019
Hey it's coming full circle. Some here have probably seen all this before and been through it. For anyone who hasn't: some hundreds of deleted posts would be very much like the past 2 or 3 pages. Most likely some "mysterious personality" will show up and argue endlessly with those who have been criticizing Crush, and there will be mass deletions. Been there, seen that.
Probably going to happen with the next release. Next release might come with a purge of negative comments - sorry, I mean, "trolling comments that don't add to the conversation".

Lux37

Aug 13, 2021
I always thought economic success of this game is due to right pricing (most of developers are so greedy that they release their games to huge tiers but you can get this one for 1$ with a small delay) and good marketing (social media presence, presentation of the game etc.)
If you check the amount of supporters you can see the pattern.

1$ supporters ≈ %62,4

5$ supporters ≈ %31

10$ supporters ≈ %6,3

20$ supporters ≈ %0.3

Most of them are on lowest tier so they don't care much if they get something or not.

Talked about developer, now even though we always complain why are we here?
There is not much competition, closest game to this one gets developed so slow that this game might count as fast development compared to it. :ROFLMAO:
What is the name of the other game? i want to play it.

boobthief

May 25, 2017
Seriously, the "WELL WHY DON'T YOU DO IT" argument is so silly. I don't need to be an expert chef to know when some food is raw, or dry. I might also not have the time to devote to learning how to consistently cook something to perfection.
But did you pay expert chef prices for your food?

If you did then, presumably in most parts of the world, you know that $20 per head does not promise culinary ecstasy, ephemeral or otherwise.

You are half way to agreeing with me. I accept that I couldn't make this game. Accept you can't either... and that we would both like a lot more progress a lot sooner but maybe this is just what it takes. We are both here discussing it - so we are waiting for it - but I don't want to make it and you don't want to make it - so we sit and wait for our proven chef?

boobthief

May 25, 2017
Okay, our Boeings 737 Max has been falling from the skies because we outsource software for junior Indian developers for 7$ hour salary, why don't you go and create your own airplane company? You could write your own software for it too!

It seems that some people will try to shut up anyone who tries to raise their head above the norms of conformity and attempt to engage in a intellectual process. Enjoy what you're given and stay silent, right.

Realistically, it comes down to encouraging unproductive behavior. See the famous "Day in the life of Twitter employee with a 6 figure salary". So, people who claim "Why are you counting my money?" doesn't understand how their financial decisions affect others pastime activities. I don't think we have any leverage to improve current situation. But I'm just tired of seeing, honestly speaking, great ideas that are going trough a development hell or even abandoned altogether. That's one way to grow an apathy.
No.

737 Max failure was a corporate decision based on the cost of training vs .

The fact that you blame that corporate bullshit on 'junior Indian developers for 7$ hour salary' speaks volumes about your egregious ignorance.

Again, I cannot understand your misplaced anger that is predicated on ignorance.

Do you have any comments specific to this game?

boobthief

May 25, 2017
That's not an argument, and you know it. You know it because you have without a shadow of a doubt at some point in your life criticized someone for doing a bad job at something you can't do better, just know someone else who could do it better. So don't be that hypocrite resorting to a troll's pseudo-argument despite knowing its fatal flaw.
Oh, it is a valid argument. I make a point that if I criticize someone's efforts that I better be damn sure I could do it better.

If I make a point to an electrician/plumber that I didn't like their work it is because I have a problem with their efforts. It shouldn't be surprising to you that people want to put in the minimum effort to get paid.

It is far easier to half-ass finish something but this is clearly not what this developer is doing. So it's easier to just release something on time. But they didn't. So how do you explain that?

• Angry
Reactions: berny
3.50 star(s) 117 Votes