Wolfregis

Aug 9, 2016

header_wtfigo.jpg

Hey folks, first of all a big apology for taking this long to write a news update. That's basically what these art updates have become. I wanted to do one earlier but there's a reason I didn't.

I was hoping and waiting for the coder to send me some good news(a viable build) first, but that didn't happen which made me decide to wait another day. Rinse and repeat. Rinse and repeat

But it's time to write this update and share some conclusions I've slowly come to accept. let me get to the point. I'm pretty much convinced the coder is rubbing up against a burnout or something which looks and smells just like it. You've heard me mention this before, but back then I was still not certain. If anything the coder is super good with words, putting on a happy smiley face.

But now, with the increasingly long time it takes for him to get stuff done and some other private admissions recently, I'm pretty much convinced things are simply becoming too much for him. This isn't just a matter of the collectable card game not coming together the way he wanted and taking too much of his time.

If I let things go on as they are right now it will only get worse so I'm going to put my foot down and force him to take a break. A real one. Not one of those "I'll take one in between working on FET"-things. I suggested for us to take a small break several times before and all of those times he pretty much ignored them.

I'm hoping some real downtime will rejuvenate his desire and ability to shine at his finest. Because imo he has done some pretty awesome stuff. And to tell you a little secret... there's been a lot more bad things going on in his life while working on FET than he has shared publicly. Naturally I can't tell you either since that sort of stuff is up to the person it concerns to share or not, but it was the reason I've been wanting him to take a real official break earlier.

So that means I'm going to stop sending him any new scenes/art for awhile. It's pretty much the only thing I can do to force him to get some rest. I have no control once I sent him the stuff needed for a new build and I generally send him the bulk of what's needed during the first few days of a new dev cycle. He's had what's needed for the current build a long time, but none of the stuff needed for the next one so that's where my "veto power" comes in.

I'm going to hold off on sending him anything for at the very least a week. Then I'll carefully see how he's doing and probably add another week before I check again. I already mailed him this in the morning and hoping he'll get back to me soon.

Addition: I got a reply from the coder.
He pretty much admitted my suspicions are far closer to the mark than he'd like to admit. I've proposed for him to immediately take that break so he can hopefully come back swinging again afterwards. Or at the very least take it veeeery easy. I really don't want the build we're working on to be a filler or substandard. It has too many elements which are important for the route.

So what about the build? When will you get to see it? I don't know. Which right now is the only and suckiest answer I can give.

But this is the moment when if we push things, stuff is going to crack and FET is too important to me to want to risk that. As soon as I have any other answers for you I will immediately talk about it and I'll keep doing my part of the work on here, but expect a complete shutdown for at least a week on the coder's side of things, probably two.

It's a disappointing setback but one we'll need to have right now to come back better later. And don't be mistaken. I'm fully convinced with a real breather the coder can and will get back to his "Can do!"-mentality. If anything I blame myself for not doing this earlier.

Who knows, maybe I can take this time to make a small game for Halloween again. I wasn't planning on that, but I already have finished a bunch of art for the next build(s) and I don't want to completely get out of synch with the coder's ideas/plans.

So as not to end this on a low note, here's some pics of better/sunnier times!

unnamed.jpg

unnamed (2).jpg

AmazonessKing

Amazoness Entrepreneur
Aug 13, 2019
Working in a team like that is complicated. I hope it gets back on track soon enough, and, specially, that he doesn't need to get a new coder.

Shino302

Jul 23, 2017
Before anyone asks, no getting a new coder wouldn’t make the delay end any faster. Coding is complicated and every coder is different. It’s faster to let the current coder take a break then bring on a new coder, have them figure out how the game works, and then start adding new content.

AmazonessKing

Amazoness Entrepreneur
Aug 13, 2019
no getting a new coder wouldn’t make the delay end any faster. Coding is complicated and every coder is different
I would like to believe this is obvious. A new coder would need to figure out how the old code works, and then if he can do it the same way the previous coder did.
But, if I'm honest, most of the code for FET is pretty basic except in some minigames. I guess a different coder could help with UI or just implementing pics, but in the case he do it wrong, it would only delay the original coder more.

rockd

Jul 31, 2017
1570813437106.png

Hey folks, first of all a big apology for taking this long to write a news update. That's basically what these art updates have become. I wanted to do one earlier but there's a reason I didn't.

I was hoping and waiting for the coder to send me some good news(a viable build) first, but that didn't happen which made me decide to wait another day. Rinse and repeat. Rinse and repeat

But it's time to write this update and share some conclusions I've slowly come to accept. let me get to the point. I'm pretty much convinced the coder is rubbing up against a burnout or something which looks and smells just like it. You've heard me mention this before, but back then I was still not certain. If anything the coder is super good with words, putting on a happy smiley face.

But now, with the increasingly long time it takes for him to get stuff done and some other private admissions recently, I'm pretty much convinced things are simply becoming too much for him. This isn't just a matter of the collectable card game not coming together the way he wanted and taking too much of his time.

If I let things go on as they are right now it will only get worse so I'm going to put my foot down and force him to take a break. A real one. Not one of those "I'll take one in between working on FET"-things. I suggested for us to take a small break several times before and all of those times he pretty much ignored them.

I'm hoping some real downtime will rejuvenate his desire and ability to shine at his finest. Because imo he has done some pretty awesome stuff. And to tell you a little secret... there's been a lot more bad things going on in his life while working on FET than he has shared publicly. Naturally I can't tell you either since that sort of stuff is up to the person it concerns to share or not, but it was the reason I've been wanting him to take a real official break earlier.

So that means I'm going to stop sending him any new scenes/art for awhile. It's pretty much the only thing I can do to force him to get some rest. I have no control once I sent him the stuff needed for a new build and I generally send him the bulk of what's needed during the first few days of a new dev cycle. He's had what's needed for the current build a long time, but none of the stuff needed for the next one so that's where my "veto power" comes in.

I'm going to hold off on sending him anything for at the very least a week. Then I'll carefully see how he's doing and probably add another week before I check again. I already mailed him this in the morning and hoping he'll get back to me soon.

He pretty much admitted my suspicions are far closer to the mark than he'd like to admit. I've proposed for him to immediately take that break so he can hopefully come back swinging again afterwards. Or at the very least take it veeeery easy. I really don't want the build we're working on to be a filler or substandard. It has too many elements which are important for the route.

So what about the build? When will you get to see it? I don't know. Which right now is the only and suckiest answer I can give.

But this is the moment when if we push things, stuff is going to crack and FET is too important to me to want to risk that. As soon as I have any other answers for you I will immediately talk about it and I'll keep doing my part of the work on here, but expect a complete shutdown for at least a week on the coder's side of things, probably two.

It's a disappointing setback but one we'll need to have right now to come back better later. And don't be mistaken. I'm fully convinced with a real breather the coder can and will get back to his "Can do!"-mentality. If anything I blame myself for not doing this earlier.

Who knows, maybe I can take this time to make a small game for Halloween again. I wasn't planning on that, but I already have finished a bunch of art for the next build(s) and I don't want to completely get out of synch with the coder's ideas/plans.

So yeah the Summertime Saga update might actually come out before the next FET update.

Last edited:

black fang

Sep 27, 2017
so as someone who once attempted to build a CCG, i can attest to the pain and suffering trying to make it work properly even with the simplest of card interactions and although i am rather dubious as to how much ill enjoy it, at this point im happy to wait for next update as should most of us here

PierrotSol

Sep 15, 2017
View attachment 425687

So yeah the Summertime Saga update might actually come out before the next FET update.
Good graces thank you Mity, at least now we understand what's going on and why. Now I can rest easy for the next two weeks until inevitably everyone asks for the next update right after.

At least I can look forward to another Halloween minigame, previous one was kinda cool.

Pr0man

Jul 23, 2017
Given that the first bit of info (released 26th of september) regarding the update talked about "a couple more days" left, with the status report (released 1st of october) talking about the coder who seems to be working hard to get it pumped out, people are pretty anxious about the release and I can fully understand why - delays that long usually don't happen with MITY for no reason.
Well, I sure as hell called that one. Goddamnit.

• Sad
Reactions: Count_Chocula

FlipFish

Oct 23, 2017
Damn, that sucks but at least he's communicating as opposed to just leaving us in the dark about how the development is going. Unlike some other devs, MITY has a lot of goodwill from his fans due to his consistent releases over the years. I hope he can get everything running smoothly again.

On a side note that beach image makes me miss Book 2. Really wish we'd have gotten more of Mai especially in the slave route since she was basically non existent there.

4.50 star(s) 276 Votes