Free stuff for Daz 3D

5.00 star(s) 3 Votes

seamanq

Game Developer
Aug 28, 2018
I just wanted to let everyone know that I made a few small revisions to the OP. The Freebie Challenge (in the Mixed Content Websites) section is still going, so there are now four years and three months of contest winners sharing what we all love, free stuff. I link it here as well for those who really don't want to be bothered finding it in the OP.

Reactions: recreation

JJsworld

Game Developer
Jun 17, 2018
Guys I have tried Renderocity, most files are blocked, saying infected by my anti-virus...

• Angry
Reactions: seamanq

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
Guys I have tried Renderocity, most files are blocked, saying infected by my anti-virus...
If that's true, that's bad news for a lot of people...

I've never seen that message, at least not from freebies that I've downloaded directly from the Renderosity servers. Note that it's Renderosity.com, not Renderocity,com, so if it's showing as renderocity in your browser, your address may have been spoofed...

I'm guessing that you just misspelled it here though. This might be a case where you should contact your antivirus provider and see about getting Renderosity whitelisted. I would think that if a bunch of the Renderosity freebies are now infected someone would have raised hell by now...

This thread isn't quite related to your issue, but it's an interesting read, in case your antivirus likes to strip out .exes or you have a virus or malware in play on your system - i.e. if there's the possiblity of a system infection messing with your downloads.

JJsworld

Game Developer
Jun 17, 2018
If that's true, that's bad news for a lot of people...

I've never seen that message, at least not from freebies that I've downloaded directly from the Renderosity servers. Note that it's Renderosity.com, not Renderocity,com, so if it's showing as renderocity in your browser, your address may have been spoofed...

I'm guessing that you just misspelled it here though. This might be a case where you should contact your antivirus provider and see about getting Renderosity whitelisted. I would think that if a bunch of the Renderosity freebies are now infected someone would have raised hell by now...

This thread isn't quite related to your issue, but it's an interesting read, in case your antivirus likes to strip out .exes or you have a virus or malware in play on your system - i.e. if there's the possiblity of a system infection messing with your downloads.

It only shows up there... Downloaded a few things last week, even bought a few things... Didn't start it till bout 5 days ago... I'm hoping Bitdefender, is doing it's job... Trust me, I need some heels for the girls...

• Thinking Face

seamanq

Game Developer
Aug 28, 2018
It only shows up there... Downloaded a few things last week, even bought a few things... Didn't start it till bout 5 days ago... I'm hoping Bitdefender, is doing it's job... Trust me, I need some heels for the girls...
I have downloaded a ton from Renderosity in the past with no problems. I just unpacked a bunch of files I downloaded from Renderosity yesterday, and no problems or flags from my antivirus software (Avast).

polywog

Forum Fanatic
May 19, 2017
Daz started out making characters for Renderosity's program Poser

Later Daz made a simple free model viewer program called Daz Studio.
Daz then switched from the 3D industry standard used by Poser, and most 3D professionals, to making their own proprietary commercial models called "Genesis" and Daz adopted what is called the Razor and Blades business model. "Here's a free razor, but you have to buy these blades for life" "free printer, but ink cartridges cost $30 each" going to great lengths to ensure that you had to buy their blades, ink, genesis models, etc. by making it difficult for cult members to use the millions of free models that they could get everywhere.

There are millions of free 3D models available that work in other programs.

seamanq

Game Developer
Aug 28, 2018
source is helpful for the first time player, thanks!! (y)
Thanks. I thought it would be valuable to other developers as well, as the cost to buy everything from Daz3D and other sources can be pretty big. That, and there are some really, really nice free assets out there that make one's game look more unique than using the same models, hair, furniture, and other resources that everyone else does. Of course, hardly anyone is unique as recreation, but that's an outlier to be sure.

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
Just downloaded a few free assets, and no problem, no virus detected, everything as usual.
I had a little conversation with the renderosity staff a while back and they are quite serious when it comes to the assets released there. Everything is tested internally, even the freebies, and if any problem occurs, they get back to the creator, and the asset won't be relesed until it's fixed.

FranceToast

Donor
Jul 31, 2018
I can't imagine anyone on this site possibly being interested in school girl outfits, but here we are. Even has DForce, apparently.

Blazer Uniform Set for G8F
For G8
Can use in commercial renders, can't redistribute

(You may have to register to download from ShareCG, but it is free.)

(The author has some other nice free stuff, also open to using in commercial renders-the glasses look excellent.
)

1580927722463.png

seamanq

Game Developer
Aug 28, 2018
I can't imagine anyone on this site possibly being interested in school girl outfits, but here we are. Even has DForce, apparently.

Blazer Uniform Set for G8F
For G8
Can use in commercial renders, can't redistribute

(You may have to register to download from ShareCG, but it is free.)

(The author has some other nice free stuff, also open to using in commercial renders-the glasses look excellent.
)

View attachment 541699
Shocking, truly shocking. But, I'm sure there's at least one or two devs who may find this beneficial information, so thanks for sharing.

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
While we are on the subject of Japanese Schoolgirls, I'm sure some of her stuff is on ShareCG and of course is posted on poserdazfreebies.mirahaze.org, hence technically it has been shared already, but Amy Aimei has a lot of fun outfits and shoes for Daz Studio...

Japanese swimsuits, fish swimsuits, Star Trek and other cosplay related stuff, promo model outfits, did I mention an assortment of shoes, other stuff...

FranceToast

Donor
Jul 31, 2018
While we are on the subject of Japanese Schoolgirls, I'm sure some of her stuff is on ShareCG and of course is posted on poserdazfreebies.mirahaze.org, hence technically it has been shared already, but Amy Aimei has a lot of fun outfits and shoes for Daz Studio...

Japanese swimsuits, fish swimsuits, Star Trek and other cosplay related stuff, promo model outfits, did I mention an assortment of shoes, other stuff...
Love Amy Aimei's stuff! I am curious if one would get into trouble using the Star Trek or Sailor Moon stuff in a project (not from her-she allows unlimited access)

seamanq

Game Developer
Aug 28, 2018
Love Amy Aimei's stuff! I am curious if one would get into trouble using the Star Trek or Sailor Moon stuff in a project (not from her-she allows unlimited access)
I don't think I would want Paramount coming after me. I think it's too close, and especially in a sexually-themed story, I think they would have a huge problem with it and the cease-and-desist letter could not be written fast enough.

Reactions: FranceToast

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
Professional Cosplayers dress up in costumes all the time and sell photos of themselves and such, so I'd imagine you probably are safe, as long as you aren't creating exact likenesses of specific Sailor Moon characters, or doing frame by frame recreations of SM episodes or similar such. Even then, it'd depend on how exact the likeness is. We have several 'near' likenesses being sold in the Daz and Renderosity stores of specific people and in a couple of cases characters. As long as you aren't calling them by the same names, that seems to help too.

See this outfit:

Most of us KNOW who this outfit is a homage too, at least the male version, but since they didn't call it 'Captain America', and since it's not an exact copy of Chris Evan's outfit, yeah Daz felt they were on safe ground in allowing that product to be sold in their store. Same for the Spidey outfit homage.

As for characters, this one was originally offered under a different name, but was pulled from the Renderosity store and re-released under a different name, and they may have 'smudged' a few vertexes or something just to be on the safe side:

Just be careful of using carbon copies of logos and such. Trademarks are a completely different animal. Ideas can't be copyrighted/trademarked in most cases, but logos, say the Coca Cola logo, can be...

Then there's 'fair use', see the Star Trek/Dr. Suess Mashup case for an example where the fair use argument eventually prevailed, but of course that one did go to court, which can be a major inconvenience.

'Transformative work' was a key argument in that fair use case BTW.

In that instance, the 'parody' author was specifically parodying a specific Dr. Suess book, not quite frame by frame, but essentially 're-imagined' specific images in a 'Star Trek' setting. The new images were 'hand drawn' by another artist of course, but comparing the two images side by side you could see the points of similarity in the backgrounds and such. They weren't the same image by any means, but had a lot of similarities. And it was DSE that raised the challenge, Paramount didn't get involved in that case as the 'similar' characters looked more like Dr. Suess characters than ST Characters, even though we know who was being 'homaged' in the character's cases.

On 'our side' of the fence, there's the Agent of Heels-Misadventures of Agent Romanov game. We all KNOW who is being 'homaged' in this game, but the game developer has been very careful with not saying 'Marvel' and 'Black Widow' and such. At least not the last time I checked this game, I haven't downloaded the more recent updates.

So it's a judgement call, particularly if you start making significant monies off of someone else's IP. It's better to just do your own thing of course, but fair use is a thing.

Last edited:

seamanq

Game Developer
Aug 28, 2018
Professional Cosplayers dress up in costumes all the time and sell photos of themselves and such, so I'd imagine you probably are safe, as long as you aren't creating exact likenesses of specific Sailor Moon characters, or doing frame by frame recreations of SM episodes or similar such. Even then, it'd depend on how exact the likeness is. We have several 'near' likenesses being sold in the Daz and Renderosity stores of specific people and in a couple of cases characters. As long as you aren't calling them by the same names, that seems to help too.

See this outfit:

Most of us KNOW who this outfit is a homage too, at least the male version, but since they didn't call it 'Captain America', and since it's not an exact copy of Chris Evan's outfit, yeah Daz felt they were on safe ground in allowing that product to be sold in their store. Same for the Spidey outfit homage.

As for characters, this one was originally offered under a different name, but was pulled from the Renderosity store and re-released under a different name, and they may have 'smudged' a few vertexes or something just to be on the safe side:

Just be careful of using carbon copies of logos and such. Trademarks are a completely different animal. Ideas can't be copyrighted/trademarked in most cases, but logos, say the Coca Cola logo, can be...

Then there's 'fair use', see the Star Trek/Dr. Suess Mashup case for an example where the fair use argument eventually prevailed, but of course that one did go to court, which can be a major inconvenience.

'Transformative work' was a key argument in that fair use case BTW.

In that instance, the 'parody' author was specifically parodying a specific Dr. Suess book, not quite frame by frame, but essentially 're-imagined' specific images in a 'Star Trek' setting. The new images were 'hand drawn' by another artist of course, but comparing the two images side by side you could see the points of similarity in the backgrounds and such. They weren't the same image by any means, but had a lot of similarities. And it was DSE that raised the challenge, Paramount didn't get involved in that case as the 'similar' characters looked more like Dr. Suess characters than ST Characters, even though we know who was being 'homaged' in the character's cases.

On 'our side' of the fence, there's the Agent of Heels-Misadventures of Agent Romanov game. We all KNOW who is being 'homaged' in this game, but the game developer has been very careful with not saying 'Marvel' and 'Black Widow' and such. At least not the last time I checked this game, I haven't downloaded the more recent updates.

So it's a judgement call, particularly if you start making significant monies off of someone else's IP. It's better to just do your own thing of course, but fair use is a thing.
From a legal perspective, the problem is the value of the ST franchise, and protecting the brand. Using easily-identifiable ST characters and putting them in a sexual, bawdy, or otherwise disparaging story has the potential to damage the brand, which is why companies like Paramount and Disney are very aggressive in protecting their trademarks.

OhWee is correct regarding parodies, and this is what has allowed artists like Weird Al Yankovich to take music from popular songs then write his own lyrics. In fact, being parodied by Weird Al has become a right of passage and many artists feel proud when their work has risen to the point that Al would parody them. All that having been said, featuring any seriously recognizable brand (like ST or Disney) in a fictional sex story is a different matter. I am just suggesting that a lot of caution is recommended. Again, like OhWee said, it's important to make sure there are not too many similarities, and in the long run, it may be better just to "do one's own thing" in the end.

FranceToast

Donor
Jul 31, 2018
Thanks for the feedback seamanq and OhWee!
I know this isn't legal advice, but common sense caution is always good, lol.

On a related note-any thoughts on using something like a Twitch or Youtube screenshot in a game? I could of course just parody it and call it "Twatch" or something...but I was just thinking-it is easy enough for me to create an actual Twitch or Youtube channel for one of my fictional characters, and as long as what I show in the game doesn't violate Twitch's or Youtubes TOS itself, would showing a screenshot of the Twitch/Youtube interface on a phone screen be problematic?
I googled, and most of the legal aspects include whether you got permission from the creator (i.e. the Twitch or Youtube performer) to use the image-and nothing about the "chrome" i.e., the Youtube screen/Twitch outline itself.
Getting copyright permission from the Twitch/Youtube "performer" would not be an issue for me :D

edit: My "Universe Brain" idea for this-create a bunch of free-to-use Templates of agreed upon Parody sites for any game developer to use in their games...so if everyone in F95 games used "Twatch" as the substitute for Twitch, and "YoTube" for Youtube, then it would seem like a real thing, lololol!

1581005029948.png

Last edited:

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
Thanks for the feedback seamanq and OhWee!
I know this isn't legal advice, but common sense caution is always good, lol.

On a related note-any thoughts on using something like a Twitch or Youtube screenshot in a game? I could of course just parody it and call it "Twatch" or something...but I was just thinking-it is easy enough for me to create an actual Twitch or Youtube channel for one of my fictional characters, and as long as what I show in the game doesn't violate Twitch's or Youtubes TOS itself, would showing a screenshot of the Twitch/Youtube interface on a phone screen be problematic?
I googled, and most of the legal aspects include whether you got permission from the creator (i.e. the Twitch or Youtube performer) to use the image-and nothing about the "chrome" i.e., the Youtube screen/Twitch outline itself.
Getting copyright permission from the Twitch/Youtube "performer" would not be an issue for me :D

edit: My "Universe Brain" idea for this-create a bunch of free-to-use Templates of agreed upon Parody sites for any game developer to use in their games...so if everyone in F95 games used "Twatch" as the substitute for Twitch, and "YoTube" for Youtube, then it would seem like a real thing, lololol!

View attachment 542709
Well I use Moogle and Hornpub in BM, no complains so far^^

5.00 star(s) 3 Votes