wshizzle

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2020
Hello yeah ( sorry for late reply) but i just launched your game with the patch and then this message popped up (tried running it again without the patch, but the same thing happened).

View attachment 2802410
Can you answer a few questions? I am trying to wrap my brain around what might be happening here.

1. Did the game work before the patch or is this the first time you are trying the game?
2. What hardware do you have?

Thanks

JhonnyJo

Oct 17, 2021
Can you answer a few questions? I am trying to wrap my brain around what might be happening here.

1. Did the game work before the patch or is this the first time you are trying the game?
2. What hardware do you have?

Thanks
1-Yeh this is my first time trying out the game! (and ofc i launched the game first with the patch on)
2-ah sure; i7 3GHz, 8 GBRAM, GTX970, Dx12

wshizzle

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2020
1-Yeh this is my first time trying out the game! (and ofc i launched the game first with the patch on)
2-ah sure; i7 3GHz, 8 GBRAM, GTX970, Dx12
The error points to running out of VRAM. I can barely play this game on my old laptop and that has 4GB vram on an AMD Radeon R5 M335. In my research I came across the following amongst other mentions of memory issues with the GTX970

There is no memory bug, GTX970 has really only 3.5GB fast VRAM with 0.5GB extremely slow VRAM.
It is from the hardware side and can not be fixed with software.
nVidia only updated the driver so that GTX970 prefer the 3.5GB instead of the 0.5GB, thus it will avoid as long as possible the usage of the slow 0.5GB.

Sorry

JhonnyJo

Oct 17, 2021
The error points to running out of VRAM. I can barely play this game on my old laptop and that has 4GB vram on an AMD Radeon R5 M335. In my research I came across the following amongst other mentions of memory issues with the GTX970

There is no memory bug, GTX970 has really only 3.5GB fast VRAM with 0.5GB extremely slow VRAM.
It is from the hardware side and can not be fixed with software.
nVidia only updated the driver so that GTX970 prefer the 3.5GB instead of the 0.5GB, thus it will avoid as long as possible the usage of the slow 0.5GB.

Sorry
Ah...? Bruh so you're telling me the problem is in my GTX970 hardwere..? were i play games with ur 5 and with many other others gb's expensive games on steam and they all run smooth with max spec on, but it causes problems while playing this game only...? I really don't get that at all.....

wshizzle

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2020
Ah...? Bruh so you're telling me the problem is in my GTX970 hardwere..? were i play games with ur 5 and with many other others gb's expensive games on steam and they all run smooth with max spec on, but it causes problems while playing this game only...? I really don't get that at all.....
Look man I'm one guy building this game in my spare time. I can only go by research and observation because I don't have your exact hardware to test with. This game like many UE and Unity games requires alot of resources. This is due to the textures in use. There may be ways to optimize this further so it will work on older hardware but I don't have a team of seasoned game devs that would know how to do this. I know you can reduce texture quality by reducing texture sizes but that is not a goal of this game. I am also not sure if that would allow the game to run on your hardware. I wouldn't even be able to test that theory aside from the amount of time it would take to test it. My laptop has a 4GB GPU and it runs there without the same error you have. I consider that hardware to be the bare minimum, because that is what I have to test on and it barely runs there. I am running this game on that laptop as I type this message. Again I can only do what "I" can do. Sorry

wshizzle

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2020
You might try this stuff

wshizzle

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2020
This game runs and looks decent on my previous workstation which is a Dell precision T3600 I got off ebay and shoved an GTX 980Ti into it. Granted that video card has 6GB VRAM. I tested this via a remote desktop connection.

JhonnyJo

Oct 17, 2021
This game runs and looks decent on my previous workstation which is a Dell precision T3600 I got off ebay and shoved an GTX 980Ti into it. Granted that video card has 6GB VRAM. I tested this via a remote desktop connection.
Well then- it just doens't sit right to me how u telling that the problem is own my machine having difficulties to run the game if i can run other ones that requires way more spec and ram use, welp anyways i understand yah i don't blame u either, as long its something u are trying to fix and work on its good enough.

dukeigthorn

Jul 30, 2018
Looks like there's a lot of potential. Reminds me of the Illusion series Artificial Girl and Artificial Academy. Albeit more freeform.

Spillthebeans

Jun 21, 2017
You're using a graphics card that is almost 9 years old on top of comparing the performance of the first public iteration of an indie one man unreal engine game to that of games that were likely produced from a triple A studio where painful amounts of optimization took place for them to make sure it could run on any toaster or on previous generation consoles. Moreover, optimization typically comes much later in video game development. Frankly I think the developer has been more than considerate of your position but I'll also have to agree that it's your hardware and any further troubleshooting would be folly. If it's any consolation the game also makes my gpu heat up considerably (2070 S) but I've yet to play the first version of any indie unity/unreal project that didn't make my computer go BRRRRR.

That aside this is an ambitious concept but I'm still a bit confused about what you want it to be. The closest comparison that comes to mind is artificial academy in space with a little bit of sims thrown in. Which ever direction you decide to go I'm interested to see where you take it, I love simulation games.

Reactions: wshizzle

JhonnyJo

Oct 17, 2021
You're using a graphics card that is almost 9 years old on top of comparing the performance of the first public iteration of an indie one man unreal engine game to that of games that were likely produced from a triple A studio where painful amounts of optimization took place for them to make sure it could run on any toaster or on previous generation consoles. Moreover, optimization typically comes much later in video game development. Frankly I think the developer has been more than considerate of your position but I'll also have to agree that it's your hardware and any further troubleshooting would be folly. If it's any consolation the game also makes my gpu heat up considerably (2070 S) but I've yet to play the first version of any indie unity/unreal project that didn't make my computer go BRRRRR.

That aside this is an ambitious concept but I'm still a bit confused about what you want it to be. The closest comparison that comes to mind is artificial academy in space with a little bit of sims thrown in. Which ever direction you decide to go I'm interested to see where you take it, I love simulation games.
Eh tf you're on? i just said i got confused abt the dev saying the problem was on my end but i literaly play other games that require more gpu/ram use of my pc, i'm not trying to make sht or anything, thats just what got me confused abt how i can run those games and this one is the problem. Yes i respect what dev trying to do and i aknowledge that hes trying to improve the performance of their game and it will take time yes. Also i just wanted to test the game out, and get some support of the dev with the issues i'm having, and thats pretty much it.

alrdlady

May 20, 2017
Thanks for the praise and nice words of encouragement. That means alot to me. I am prioritizing the UI and bugfixing. Since I used Unreal built in tools to create the UI I am not sure what could be causing the UI responsiveness issue unless it is related to performance. If you would be so kind can you provide me with some additional information?

1. Hardware you are using
2. crewsize
3. duration of game play

I will try to recreate the issue and provide a patch.
I'm running with:

Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core i7 9700K @ 3.60GHz
Coffee Lake 14nm Technology
RAM
16.0GB Dual-Channel Unknown @ 1203MHz (16-16-16-39)
Motherboard
ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. PRIME Z390-A (LGA1151)
It's a bit outdated in places, but I can run most games on high settings still.

As to crewsize and duration, I went with 4 crewmates for around 20 minutes I think?

I'm glad to see you take constructive criticism well, that's a good trait! ^^

wshizzle

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2020
I'm running with:

Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core i7 9700K @ 3.60GHz
Coffee Lake 14nm Technology
RAM
16.0GB Dual-Channel Unknown @ 1203MHz (16-16-16-39)
Motherboard
ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. PRIME Z390-A (LGA1151)
It's a bit outdated in places, but I can run most games on high settings still.

As to crewsize and duration, I went with 4 crewmates for around 20 minutes I think?

I'm glad to see you take constructive criticism well, that's a good trait! ^^
The UI issue should be resolved with the latest patch/update. What video card are you using or is it built into to the CPU? Does performance improve if you go into settings and reduce graphics?

Reactions: alrdlady

alrdlady

May 20, 2017
The UI issue should be resolved with the latest patch/update. What video card are you using or is it built into to the CPU? Does performance improve if you go into settings and reduce graphics?
Oh sorry, completely blanked on gpu, but I'm using an Asus GeForce GTX 1060 6GB.
And performance did improve slightly when lowering graphics, but not to a smooth state.

wshizzle

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2020
Oh sorry, completely blanked on gpu, but I'm using an Asus GeForce GTX 1060 6GB.
And performance did improve slightly when lowering graphics, but not to a smooth state.
Ok thanks! not sure what else I can do here except reduce texture sizes. over Half the processing delay is refreshing the texture cache for all the characters. I'll keep digging. This didn't seem bad on my GTX 980(old dev box). My current dev machine has a 3080 in it so I see 0 issues with running all 31 characters. Can you also check your memory and cpu usage while the game is running? Thanks

Jaweed

Jul 27, 2022
I have no idea how to play the game and the music in the game is very disturbing

alrdlady

May 20, 2017
Ok thanks! not sure what else I can do here except reduce texture sizes. over Half the processing delay is refreshing the texture cache for all the characters. I'll keep digging. This didn't seem bad on my GTX 980(old dev box). My current dev machine has a 3080 in it so I see 0 issues with running all 31 characters. Can you also check your memory and cpu usage while the game is running? Thanks
I downloaded the most recent update, and I could run it smoothly on medium settings which is strange but appreciated. I only ever reached 40% on both my CPU and GPU, as well as having over 6gb RAM to spare, so performance seems fixed in this version, sorry for not trying sooner!
What exactly changed between this release and the prior one?

wshizzle

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2020
I downloaded the most recent update, and I could run it smoothly on medium settings which is strange but appreciated. I only ever reached 40% on both my CPU and GPU, as well as having over 6gb RAM to spare, so performance seems fixed in this version, sorry for not trying sooner!
What exactly changed between this release and the prior one?
Excellent! I am glad the game is running better for you. The characters have a capture component that captures their faces for the UI on the right. I had that on all the time and apparently its expensive. Now I turn it off and only enable it on the character that is selected. That greatly improved performance/framerate.

wshizzle

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2020
I have no idea how to play the game and the music in the game is very disturbing
Music? You sure you are posting in the right game? Also there is a help menu at the beginning with all the key bindings and some gifs of actual game play attached to the first page of this forum.

Jaweed

Jul 27, 2022
Music? You sure you are posting in the right game? Also there is a help menu at the beginning with all the key bindings and some gifs of actual game play attached to the first page of this forum.
I don't know, the background sounds were weird.

1.80 star(s) 4 Votes