The Anti

Nov 12, 2018
just fyi, I got really high yesterday and I don't fully remember what I posted that got deleted, but apparently there was some thread argument or something that happened? I guess it was political. Anyways, hope I didn't start anything... and I hope what I said wasn't offensive... if it sounded really bad or in poor taste or something, I can promise I didn't mean it the way it sounded... I was just really out of my brain :censored: I had diarrhea of the mouth, constipation of the brain as a child and young teen, and when I get high or drunk enough, it comes back with a vengeance and I have to backpeddle my poorly thought statements. If it had nothing to do with me, then what a relief :oops: But if it did, sorry guys :cry:
Piggybacking off this, If I have ever offended anyone…

IMG_0330.gif

Maviarab

Devoted Member
Jul 12, 2020
just fyi, I got really high yesterday and I don't fully remember what I posted that got deleted, but apparently there was some thread argument or something that happened? I guess it was political. Anyways, hope I didn't start anything... and I hope what I said wasn't offensive... if it sounded really bad or in poor taste or something, I can promise I didn't mean it the way it sounded... I was just really out of my brain :censored: I had diarrhea of the mouth, constipation of the brain as a child and young teen, and when I get high or drunk enough, it comes back with a vengeance and I have to backpeddle my poorly thought statements. If it had nothing to do with me, then what a relief :oops: But if it did, sorry guys :cry:
Maybe you should reconsider your life choices....

Reactions: Big McLargehuge

Dark Silence

Devoted Member
Jul 17, 2021
Nah. It had to do with the paths in the game. I won't get into it again. As for the political, well, that was also dealt with.

Joshy92

Devoted Member
Mar 25, 2021
I'm starting to judge other games against this one
And when comparing them I find myself dissapointed in the other games most of the time

This game has so many good things about it
Lots of branching and meanigful choices
Beautiful LI
We mostly get to shape our version of guy how we want him

There are plenty of other good things but those are the most important things in an AVN imo

Dessolos

Conversation Conqueror
Jul 25, 2017
When the new update happens I might honestly not even use my old save and just restart I feel like I forgot alot about this game.

Reactions: Dark Silence

PHIL101-YYouPPHard

Jan 11, 2022
I'm starting to judge other games against this one
And when comparing them I find myself dissapointed in the other games most of the time

This game has so many good things about it
Lots of branching and meanigful choices
Beautiful LI
We mostly get to shape our version of guy how we want him

There are plenty of other good things but those are the most important things in an AVN imo
Yeah. A little while back, I tried getting into another game that has some titillating content I was looking forward to trying. But as usual, the dialogue, melodrama, and overly ridiculous premise kinda takes me out of it. In that order too. It had good renders too, was a shame.

It's mostly the dialogue for me, as I can handle a little melodrama I guess and a silly premise if it's really hawt. But damn, if I have to endure another "musn't" or "indeed" or w/e other "proper (robot) grammar" someone tries to push as normal human speech, I'm going to tear my pubes out :LOL:. I almost wonder if it's just a few of the same guys offering translations to non-English-speaking devs or something, I mean there can't possibly be that many devs that all have the same speech patterns, can there?

Also, grounded character motivations are underrated; instant "magic dick" LIs and a bunch of other tropes are just really, really annoying, especially after the nth time when you're tired of sucking it up and enduring :p I wish more devs would take the time to consider more believable ways to arrive to the relationship/scene/kink they have in mind rather than waving their magical writer wand to gloss over it. Or to at least build up to it a little so it doesn't give you suspension-of-disbelief-whiplash :geek:

Samuel Hidayat

May 16, 2019
It's mostly the dialogue for me, as I can handle a little melodrama I guess and a silly premise if it's really hawt. But damn, if I have to endure another "musn't" or "indeed" or w/e other "proper (robot) grammar" someone tries to push as normal human speech, I'm going to tear my pubes out :LOL:. I almost wonder if it's just a few of the same guys offering translations to non-English-speaking devs or something, I mean there can't possibly be that many devs that all have the same speech patterns, can there?
Stiff and awkward dialogues are #1 mood killer. Most devs here seem to be non-native English speakers, so they don't know the nuances to make engaging and smooth-flowing dialogues. They always feel like someone writing an academic text instead of proper human interactions.

The worst part, many popular VNs here are like that. Dating my Daughter, BADIK, Acting Lessons, Become a Rockstar, Ecchi Sensei, A Mother's Love, etc. are so tedious to read because of this.

Karana

Feb 8, 2017
I mean there can't possibly be that many devs that all have the same speech patterns, can there?
The thing about novice writers is that the lack of experience comes across in pretty standard ways. To avoid the common mistakes and pitfalls people make they need experience and knowledge, which, being novices, they lack. New writers also tend to lack the confidence and knowledge required to assert and project their own authorial voice. So they tend to crib tone and style from other works they've enjoyed. This is why there are many VNs where the author's voice can be summarised as "I Watch A Lot Of Anime."

dervalle007

Jan 23, 2022
Stiff and awkward dialogues are #1 mood killer. Most devs here seem to be non-native English speakers, so they don't know the nuances to make engaging and smooth-flowing dialogues. They always feel like someone writing an academic text instead of proper human interactions.

The worst part, many popular VNs here are like that. Dating my Daughter, BADIK, Acting Lessons, Become a Rockstar, Ecchi Sensei, A Mother's Love, etc. are so tedious to read because of this.
That's why it's often an advantage not to be a native speaker, then you don't really notice the worst failures.

Dessolos

Conversation Conqueror
Jul 25, 2017
That's why it's often an advantage not to be a native speaker, then you don't really notice the worst failures.
Honestly i'm a native english speaker and I dont notice bad writing or dialogue 90% of the time. Most because I dont think about it as I play the game and just go on with the flow of the game. I have to slow down and actually think about the dialogue and writing to notice it I think, as all my focus is on the context of what's being said / the story or characters. I may notice a word here or there that's misspelled or wrong usage but not too often to the point I consider it bad. Partly because it just feels natural to correct it in my head as I read so I don't register it as bad writing or w/e. But i'm probably one of the rare people that don't notice bad writing or dialogue and it's more common to notice it.

Joshy92

Devoted Member
Mar 25, 2021
If Nicki & Mason were real
Could guys imagine the love letter I would write them?
It would be so beautiful the angels themselves would weep

I would also send a very strongly worded letter to Viola's landlord
He would also cry but they would be tears of fear

If he hurts her, I'll be forced to take matters into my own hands

PHIL101-YYouPPHard

Jan 11, 2022
Honestly i'm a native english speaker and I dont notice bad writing or dialogue 90% of the time. Most because I dont think about it as I play the game and just go on with the flow of the game. I have to slow down and actually think about the dialogue and writing to notice it I think, as all my focus is on the context of what's being said / the story or characters. I may notice a word here or there that's misspelled or wrong usage but not too often to the point I consider it bad. Partly because it just feels natural to correct it in my head as I read so I don't register it as bad writing or w/e. But i'm probably one of the rare people that don't notice bad writing or dialogue and it's more common to notice it.
I feel like age has a lot to do with it, as I was the same in my teens and 20s. What I was after in writing and cinema was just.. honestly, simpler (action, sexy chicks, etc.) and I didn't pay too much attention to finer details (logic, structure, dialogue, and so on). Once you start consuming classics or objectively well-written works and also reading and listening to worthwhile critics (who know what they're talking about) go into detail about why a work was in fact compelling or else failed to compel, then you really start to pick up on things you weren't noticing before and inevitably comparing them (by 'objectively well-written', I don't necessarily mean that everyone will personally love it or anything, just that the technical writing and execution is undeniably good). And then you get spoiled for quality and there's no going back after that, really; that's when the cynicism kicks in and everything just starts looking like shit and everyone who has to hear you whine about it thinks you're a snob or w/e :ROFLMAO:

If that's not your case btw, if you're in fact older and still feel the way you do, there's nothing wrong about your viewpoint or anything, hope I'm not coming off as implying otherwise. Hell, I still enjoy schlocky shit like 13 Ghosts and universally panned films like The Men Who Stare at Goats, so obviously it ultimately just comes down to personal taste. But, in general, I think what I've said above rings true for most people.

Anyways, long-story short, I think Friends in Need is ultimately going to become a VN classic. Maybe it'll never be the most popular (which sucks, as quality profits necessarily), but I feel the writing is undeniably a cut above the competition.

Joshy92

Devoted Member
Mar 25, 2021
I feel like age has a lot to do with it, as I was the same in my teens and 20s. What I was after in writing and cinema was just.. honestly, simpler (action, sexy chicks, etc.) and I didn't pay too much attention to finer details (logic, structure, dialogue, and so on). Once you start consuming classics or objectively well-written works and also reading and listening to worthwhile critics (who know what they're talking about) go into detail about why a work was in fact compelling or else failed to compel, then you really start to pick up on things you weren't noticing before and inevitably comparing them (by 'objectively well-written', I don't necessarily mean that everyone will personally love it or anything, just that the technical writing and execution is undeniably good). And then you get spoiled for quality and there's no going back after that, really; that's when the cynicism kicks in and everything just starts looking like shit and everyone who has to hear you whine about it thinks you're a snob or w/e :ROFLMAO:

If that's not your case btw, if you're in fact older and still feel the way you do, there's nothing wrong about your viewpoint or anything, hope I'm not coming off as implying otherwise. Hell, I still enjoy schlocky shit like 13 Ghosts and universally panned films like The Men Who Stare at Goats, so obviously it ultimately just comes down to personal taste. But, in general, I think what I've said above rings true for most people.

Anyways, long-story short, I think Friends in Need is ultimately going to become a VN classic. Maybe it'll never be the most popular (which sucks, as quality profits necessarily), but I feel the writing is undeniably a cut above the competition.
I agree the writing is great
One of the many reasons this game is in my top ten
You and I seem to think a lot alike PHIL

• Yay, new update!
Reactions: PHIL101-YYouPPHard

Dessolos

Conversation Conqueror
Jul 25, 2017

Honestly I wish I could see all of that in writing / dialogue. Sometimes I do get jealous of people that can see the small details like that in things that are well written or are able just to see writing being bad or good and be critical about it. As it does feel weird at times of having the inability to judge writing like that it's something i'm not able to really do.

For me I think it honestly comes down more to my personality as when it comes to things I do for entertainment I have more of a carefree personality so I find it much easier to enjoy things probably more than alot of people. I even enjoy things some would consider bad. That and well I didn't read many books throughout my life just played video games. Still not to old to try to change that but I do think my personality when it comes to entertainment will get in the way of me noticing those things still.

I will say this tho when I last played Friends in Need , the game did feel like it was better than your average AVN out there. So much so that it quickly became one of my top 10 favorites even if it's not a top 10 AVN for me. Might be because of the good wiring and dialogue like you said never was able to figure out why I loved this game so much other than being too attached to Nicki as a character.

Reactions: PHIL101-YYouPPHard

Machete

Engaged Member
Apr 7, 2020
If Nicki & Mason were real
Could guys imagine the love letter I would write them?
It would be so beautiful the angels themselves would weep

I would also send a very strongly worded letter to Viola's landlord
He would also cry but they would be tears of fear

If he hurts her, I'll be forced to take matters into my own hands
I know a person much like Mason in real life.

• Wow
Reactions: Joshy92

NeonGhosts

Game Developer
Mar 20, 2019
023_POV Cam.png

General FYI: Added 43 renders today. I still need to finish Nicki's opening scene, and then two small 'bridge' scenes -- one that's needed if you left Ashe asleep in your condo, and another featuring Risa.

If I can get those done over the next few days, I'll have everything completed for the first 1/3 of the game. Then it's onto some stuff featuring Risa and Alex. I'm hoping I get through all of Alex's content in time for Christmas, but I'm planning to get through all of Risa's. Anything after that is just a bonus.

Current build is just over 500 images, and I'm still aiming for 800 for the Christmas Day release.

4.50 star(s) 194 Votes