VN Ren'Py Game Dev Journal: Inner Demons (Ch 4 progress)

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
Okay here is how to do it:

1. Add a new "screen" with code something like this. It can go in the "screens.rpy" file or we can make a custom file like "my_screens.rpy":

Code:
screen ch4_freeroam:

imagemap:

auto "ch4_freeroam_%s.png"

# the "auto" means renpy will look for images with the following names:

#  "ch4_freeroam_ground.png" - used for the "background" which is the parts of the image that do not have hotspots
        #  "ch4_freeroam_idle.png" - used for the non-hovered hotspots 
        #  "ch4_freeroam_hover.png" - used for the hovered hotspots

# each clickable area gets a hotspot. 
        # The action in this case is a simple "Jump" to a script label, just like in the game script
        hotspot (75, 59, 335, 216) action Jump("tunrida_eat_hot_chip_and_lie")
        hotspot (75, 333, 335, 216) action Jump("mc_breakdance")
        hotspot (566, 228, 336, 220) action Jump("vincents_red_rocket")
2. Add images matching the file names I noted in the comments (i've attached examples)

3. Use the "image location picker" tool in the Renpy Developer menu (Shift-D when game has developer mode enabled) to load up the "hover" version of the image and pick the clickable location boxes, then paste the coordinates into the hotspot commands of the Screen

4. setup the script labels and put them into the "Jump" command parameters

If you want to "gate" some of the selectable options (i.e. you can't see tunrida's afternoon nap scene until after the hotchips are finished) we'll have to do some more work with variables and the "sensitive" option on the relevant hotspots.

• Love
Reactions: GrayTShirt

GrayTShirt

Game Developer
Nov 27, 2019
First 2 scenes of Fiona's stories done.
Working on the map next. The map will take a while, lots of coding, lots of labels, blah blah blah.

Reactions: kfrazer099

GrayTShirt

Game Developer
Nov 27, 2019
hms0001 copy.jpg

First official photo of the main story.
I had to fix the lighting for the tavern scenes (and the MC/Skye bedroom scenes) since I updated to Daz 4.20. The update broke ALL OF MY LIGHTS! Luckily Rog's assets had a script fix. But now I have to fix a few other set pieces.
But at least I can start working on these "Home: Main Story" scenes.
Yay Hilda!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
-GTS

GrayTShirt

Game Developer
Nov 27, 2019
Hey man, great game, great story, totally worth it.
So..when are you gonna be releasing the next version?
New update in a couple months (maybe 3). Building the foundation for Ch04 with the sitemap, coding, and initial story scenes. I may kick back some optional scenes to focus on the main story. But I want to make sure I include enough boobiliciousness and bootitastic goodness.
-GTS

Zolkane

Jun 2, 2017
GrayTShirt
Hey Gray, Do you think it Will be this upcoming chapter we Will have MC+futa(bryn maybe) Double_anal one of the futa???
That be epic