VN Unity Abandoned Game Legends [v2018.05] [Trinity]

3.50 star(s) 2 Votes
Jun 26, 2017
Weighing in on the privacy concerns here. I read through most of the thread, I think that your heart is in the right place. I just have an ethical problem with the 'opt-out' versus 'opt-in' mechanic.

I understand your point about other games doing it on the DL instead of being transparent about it, and I applaud you for that. That is why I think your heart is in the right place and I just wanted to provide you with an alternate point-of-view.

Even though your approach (tracking but being honest about it) is better than most, I just have a moral beef with 'opt-out' just on general principle. Furthermore, in your game's specific case. It is especially bothersome because I have to do a bunch of research and technical work on my firewall in order to 'opt-out' and that burden is so high that I don't consider it a reasonable opt-out mechanic for most folks. It is presumptuous to assume you have a right to know anything I do with your game. I should have to agree to opt in, with details about who collects what data.

Based on your other posts here that already contain everything a good privacy policy should have, I would totally click an 'opt in' buttton.

However, I won't play your game because A) You don't give me a reasonable choice, and I don't want to play your game so badly that I can be bothered to make the necessary one-off firewall changes, however, it's really mostly because:

B) I don't trust Unity because they already allow other creators to include sneaky analytics in the first place. Any company that does that is unethical enough that they can't be trusted.

Based on all that, I urge you to either include a reasonable 'opt-out' mechanism OR disable unity analytics. Remember this is already a parody game - why not have the characters themselves break the fourth wall and ask to 'interview' the players themselves and literally 'pick up the phone' in game while it virtually 'phones home' the player's consent and responses?

electric_noise

Feb 17, 2018
Experienced the same "stuck" issue on the same scene, only once , 1280 x 720 in ultra on "win7" 64bit.
After closing and reopening the game, all was good with fade in, fade out ani.

Reactions: DarthSeduction

DarthSeduction

Lord of Passion
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 28, 2017
With and without. I delete and download game 2-3 times.
So strange. I messaged Rich, he's our coder, but he was offline. He'll look into it when he gets a chance. We did already talk about it earlier, so he's already got plans to take a look.

Zippity

Respected User
Nov 16, 2017
Not much to say about this one... It's in essence a series of short sexual events using characters from other visual novels, either to pay tribute to them or maybe to poke fun at them... You are not presented with any choices, which doesn't matter as they are short anyways... The visuals are very good and so is the text... But it's pretty much just masturbation material to be honest, with a few chuckles here and there... The 3 current events are presented almost like videos on a laptop, with 1 still under development... I went ahead and posted my review...

DarthSeduction

Lord of Passion
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 28, 2017
Same problem, Linux build.
Do you have an H264 video codec installed? That seems to be the issue with other people's builds. Rich has reworked his code so as to set a timer on playback, skipping the video if your system doesn't support it, which will be released in the next build.

Bagger288

Jul 11, 2017
Do you have an H264 video codec installed? That seems to be the issue with other people's builds. Rich has reworked his code so as to set a timer on playback, skipping the video if your system doesn't support it, which will be released in the next build.
I do, but MotH (another Unity game) also fails to open H.264-encoded videos. That game also crashes on detecting the error, but it doesn't have a Linux build, so there is an extra layer to fail in.

DarthSeduction

Lord of Passion
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 28, 2017
I do, but MotH (another Unity game) also fails to open H.264-encoded videos. That game also crashes on detecting the error, but it doesn't have a Linux build, so there is an extra layer to fail in.
Interesting input... it does seem to be a small number of people with the issues overall, but a problem in unity's code might be the case, tagging @Rich maybe he'll be able to talk to them about the issue, they've been helpful in the past.

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
@Bagger288 / @DarthSeduction - FYI, Unity doesn't support mp4 (H.264) on Linux - it uses OGV/VP8/WEBM there. What's _supposed_ to be happening is that the project should be transcoding the video when it does the Linux build. Assuming I have the Linux build settings correct in the project, of course. :) I'll have to go back and check. Thanks for your patience.

U

User_17502

I don’t know why but I just can’t get into this game. Maybe it’s he off color renders or it’s just the strange way the characters are interacting with the MC. I thought I would really enjoy it but I guess I liked B.B. too much and so so keep comparing the two subconsciously. Whatever the problem is, I wasn’t really entranced by the story or aroused by the renders. So I guess I’m just gonna drop the game. Maybe later I can check back in. But for now I don’t think this is something I enjoy.

Reactions: thebeatman
3.50 star(s) 2 Votes