Unreal Engine Abandoned Girls Next Door [Update 8] [Layman Bot]

4.20 star(s) 19 Votes

JohnGlenn

Aug 18, 2017
There seems to be two threads, and I was posting in the other one. I'll share my thoughts here.

• When selecting the relationship with the women, there are circles at the bottom of the screen. They're labeled "C" "S" "S" "M" and "A". I suspect I know what these are, but I'm not sure about "C". It also makes things a little confusing because without knowing the insinuated relationship beforehand, I can see it being easy to make very confusing relationships.
Overall, I think you have a really good framework.
Well, I haven't actually played this, but C could be A's daughter?

GingerSweetGirl

Engaged Member
Aug 23, 2020
Well, I haven't actually played this, but C could be A's daughter?
It is, but it's still slightly confusing. C and A should be next to eachother, that would help. This is a common problem with games that require you to establish the relationship, it can be easy to screw things up if you don't pay attention or aren't familiar with the assumptions the game makes.

Reactions: LaymanBot

Vrijgeest

Engaged Member
Jun 16, 2019
Nice interface. Why not use the Ren'Py engine? I miss the rollback and where do you save to? Renders are good as are the models. The story is a bit weak and very prudish. The graph is interesting but what is its purpose? The house is small and claustrophobic.

Reactions: jdw6 and MadCore

Alexis_1

Jun 11, 2018
Renders: good!
Girls' appearance and shape: good!
It is advisable to switch to Renpy
In future:
- add sex animations;
- no matter how the plot develops further, it is desirable that the player continues to have an independent choice of decisions, including the methods of sex (not everyone likes anal sex)

zephrates

May 12, 2017
When I tried to run the game, it asked me to install C++ runtime. I have run other Unreal Engine games and not had that request come up. Most generally, when a game asks me to install other software, I just delete it, as I did here. I'll take a look at this again in a few updates.

Penfold Mole

Engaged Member
Respected User
May 22, 2017
such a waste to use unreal for this....

i mean... yeah.. whatever.
If you don't mind please explain you comment as I am fairly new to programming, thanks.
Unreal Engine is designed for real time 3D games with everything that a real time 3D game engine needs in its core. A 3D model real time rendering engine, a collision detection system, an AI for controlling various NPC's and so on and on. It's being developed since 1998 and has been used to run some of the most advanced 3D games in the world since then.

Using it for displaying pre-rendered static images is like using a super computer as a desktop calculator.

The main reason being, that it isn't designed for visual or kinetic novels with static images. It's too big and complicated, a waste of resources to use for displaying images. There are better ones available for free, with everything already built in that an actual VN needs. Ren'Py being an excellent example as one of them.

Last edited:

Jonah Arkon

Sep 22, 2017
Overview as it stands:

The story surrounds a guy who his childhood friend just moved in to leave with his family. She always got him in trouble, since they were kids, and it seems that things have not changed.

Overview changed
The story surrounds a guy who's childhood friend just moved into live with his family. She always got him in trouble, since they were kids, and it seems that things have not changed.

Just a minor correction as to what I think you meant.

• Haha
Reactions: JackMiejov

Shipfan66

Mar 24, 2019
Overview as it stands:

The story surrounds a guy who his childhood friend just moved in to leave with his family. She always got him in trouble, since they were kids, and it seems that things have not changed.

Overview changed
The story surrounds a guy who's childhood friend just moved into live with his family. She always got him in trouble, since they were kids, and it seems that things have not changed.

Just a minor correction as to what I think you meant.
..a guy whose childhood friend just moved in to live with his family....

The correct usage for that sentence. "Who's" is a contraction of "who is," not the possessive form of "who." "Into" indicates insertion during movement and is not appropriate in that sentence: "moved in" is the verb in question, thus "in to"-- two words, not one combined word. If you must correct someone else's grammar, please check what is actually correct before doing so.

DreamBig Games

Donor
Game Developer
May 27, 2017
Unreal Engine is designed for real time 3D games with everything that a real time 3D game engine needs in its core. A 3D model real time rendering engine, a collision detection system, an AI for controlling various NPC's and so on and on. It's being developed since 1998 and has been used to run some of the most advanced 3D games in the world since then.

Using it for displaying pre-rendered static images is like using a super computer as a desktop calculator.

The main reason being, that it isn't designed for visual or kinetic novels with static images. It's too big and complicated, a waste of resources to use for displaying images. There are better ones available for free, with everything already built in that an actual VN needs. Ren'Py being an excellent example as one of them.

This subject comes around for almost every game made in UE4, but you are wrong.
I have tested this and if you check the RAM used by renpy and my game, made in UE4 you will see that UE4 is actually less demanding.
The only problem with UE4, if you don't know how to deal with it, is the multitude of plugins that come with it and that dev's should disable before packing the game.

GingerSweetGirl

Engaged Member
Aug 23, 2020
One more thing, but I worry that the game's title is a bit generic. "Girls Next Door" doesn't really tell us anything about the game, and in fact it's a bit misleading because they all live together. I don't mean to be pedantic by pointing this out, it's just that the nature of the game and the insinuation of the title don't jibe.

I would encourage the devs to rethink the title to be both more original and representative of the game.

Reactions: LaymanBot
4.20 star(s) 19 Votes