NRFB

Hi (。・ω・)ノ゙
Game Developer
Feb 14, 2020
But would it make sense in-universe? Maybe it wouldn't. Maybe gameplay-story integration in this regard isn't the intention. But I think it's worth thinking about.
Maybe this is showing too much behind the curtain, but I have not made a decision on if the new game+ resets are happening diegetically, but would need to maneuver various story things differently if I decided I wanted to make that the case.

It's already random whether one will spawn in a floor and whether you'll run into it if one does.
If you mean the shrine, then I would correct you here. Shrine (and witch den) spawning is not RNG, but a fixed true/false in the data. If the floor has it set to true, a shrine will always spawn when that floor data is used. I don't disagree with anything else you're saying though.

Anyway, been away for a few updates, nice to see the game shaping up right. Still could use more and longer, ah, 'content' though.
I especially agree with this, and hate that it is a thing I struggle with more than other aspects of making the game.

RagueltheUFO

Jan 19, 2020
Yeah the shrine shows up starting on floor 5. Next update will not have Easy set the starting curse. I'm still crying how I got Sloth 3 times in a row one run ;v;

Eidolic

Jun 11, 2019
showing too much behind the curtain
I don't get the impression that the game is very close to a 'Completed' tag so I don't think that's too much sharing. Regardless of the direction you go with, the fact that you are aware of it is enough for me to be satisfied.

MedusaDevout

Jul 31, 2023
I especially agree with this, and hate that it is a thing I struggle with more than other aspects of making the game.
Maybe add mod support, if it isn't too hard to implement where you currently are. If people could add in their own CG and scenes, some of those gaps could be filled by the community.

Sorry if this was already suggested, haven't read the entire thread.

Rosen King

Engaged Member
May 29, 2019
Maybe add mod support, if it isn't too hard to implement where you currently are. If people could add in their own CG and scenes, some of those gaps could be filled by the community.

Sorry if this was already suggested, haven't read the entire thread.
The game already has mod support. In fact, the dev sometimes releases hotfixes as mods when they don't feel like going through all the trouble of re-uploading the game.

NRFB

Hi (。・ω・)ノ゙
Game Developer
Feb 14, 2020
I have to assume that the learning curve for the game's scripting language puts people off. The one completed (single monster) mod that I know of required a lot of small clarifications from me, suggesting both that there should probably be some internal tweaks as well as more work on the modding documentation (which I keep putting off in favor of work on the actual game).

I also don't really have an answer for how people could make CGs. I could put out an art style guide for making the images match the game style, but not the actual character models used for the knights. I suppose I could make 'generic' sex CGs available for people to use but you would then end up with a lack of variety.

I would LOVE to see mods happen, they just haven't yet.

Rosen King

Engaged Member
May 29, 2019
Tweet time!

(Video shows knights entering rooms and briefly having the monster/trap's portrait flash across the screen before disappearing.)

Okay, this is definitely gonna be a thing we can turn off, right? Because... Yeah, no. Especially at that speed. It goes by too fast to actually get a good sense of whatever just came up (at least for me), but is way too prominent to just ignore, especially when you're speeding through the rooms.

Needing to update her for various reasons

F6LPesIX0AA9n1y.png
Nice dress. Although the angle kind of makes it look like she's just standing in front of a weird orb with legs. ...Actually, maybe that's exactly how the picture was made, and the forced perspective is just a little too easy to see through.

I do like it better than her old design, though. Of course, this is coming from the person who bullies Coraline for her "sexy" outfit.

Screw it, we splashin

F6VniIMXUAAB4-3.png
This can be wholesome or distressing depending on why her eyes are closed. Just having fun? Great. Knocked in during combat? Not so great. Hypnotized? Please practice proper mind control safety precautions when around large bodies of water, bottomless pits, or fires.

Started working on a skill then realized it had enough drawbacks that I could just make it a curse instead. I do think it was funnier to have a skill named "Avoiding your Problems" though.

F6ffgmyXkAAWndm.png
Will it have the benefits it was meant to have as a skill, though? It'd be neat to have another "beneficial" curse/combo like Exhibitionism and Seeing Red.

NRFB

Hi (。・ω・)ノ゙
Game Developer
Feb 14, 2020
Okay, this is definitely gonna be a thing we can turn off, right? Because... Yeah, no. Especially at that speed. It goes by too fast to actually get a good sense of whatever just came up (at least for me), but is way too prominent to just ignore, especially when you're speeding through the rooms.
Yes, not only did someone else also ask for the ability to turn it off, but I had already put it in before that tweet even happened.

The timing has also been adjusted to make it a bit easier to see the pictures since the tweet. I will also say that I've tried playing without the setting on and it was actually rather surprising how much information I suddenly felt like I was missing/had to click to find when the portraits were no longer showing me what was in the room immediately. Worth giving it a try at least.

Nice dress. Although the angle kind of makes it look like she's just standing in front of a weird orb with legs. ...Actually, maybe that's exactly how the picture was made, and the forced perspective is just a little too easy to see through.
Sort of, although the lower body of the model is merged with the spider body, it just isn't obvious. Maybe I should have bunched the dress up more to make the connection point more obvious? I dunno, I'm not an artist.

Will it have the benefits it was meant to have as a skill, though? It'd be neat to have another "beneficial" curse/combo like Exhibitionism and Seeing Red.
You could argue that some parts of some ranks of it are beneficial. I can even think of a skill that would combo with it sorta kinda.

WellIGuess

Jan 23, 2019
I have to assume that the learning curve for the game's scripting language puts people off. The one completed (single monster) mod that I know of required a lot of small clarifications from me, suggesting both that there should probably be some internal tweaks as well as more work on the modding documentation (which I keep putting off in favor of work on the actual game).

I also don't really have an answer for how people could make CGs. I could put out an art style guide for making the images match the game style, but not the actual character models used for the knights. I suppose I could make 'generic' sex CGs available for people to use but you would then end up with a lack of variety.

I would LOVE to see mods happen, they just haven't yet.
Having just spent a decent amount of time messing around in the save files to 'grant' my Knights the requisite curses for events (...after two full runs of no luck), I can imagine why. Even with a passable grounding in Python I don't think I could do much more than copy and alter existing structures (so, add in new curses or traps with effects that already exist somewhere else in teh game) and with no CGs to go with them, why bother? We have a fair abundance already.

Reactions: blue_krystal

NRFB

Hi (。・ω・)ノ゙
Game Developer
Feb 14, 2020
Having just spent a decent amount of time messing around in the save files to 'grant' my Knights the requisite curses for events (...after two full runs of no luck), I can imagine why.
Gosh if only there were some debug build that you could give yourself whatever curses you want (that costs $10 so I don't blame people not going for it).
In any case, I can't really condone save editing (and especially sharing/downloading edited saves which seems like a security issue just waiting to happen). I don't even know how you would do it given godot's encryption of the .res files it creates. As for modding, at present there isn't any PUBLICLY EXPOSED mechanism for mods to force a character into getting a specific curse. Technically if you knew where to put the right data, you could do it, as the reason why the first shrine on floor 5 is currently always Easy is because I forgot to remove that data when testing the function for forcing a floor's shrine to have a set curse. I just haven't updated the modding docs since getting that set up (among many other things). I would assume that once that's made known SOMEONE will be able to decipher enough of my docs to set up a mod that will give you all the curses needed to see the scenes, even if I don't really like the idea much.

Even with a passable grounding in Python
Not really anything to do with python? I mean I guess gdscript is python-like but that would only matter if you decompiled the exe to look at the game code itself. The data for modding is done entirely in json data structures.

We have a fair abundance already.
Interestingly I feel like I only get this kind of comment on f95? Like I guess the people here have more of a completionist "I want to find/see everything in the game and move on to the next one" mindset and having the lists of skills/curses/etc. continue to expand gets in the way of that, but honestly I... Don't really feel bad about it.

RagueltheUFO

Jan 19, 2020
If the Binding of Isaac can continue to add 50+ items per updated release, I don't think it will be a problem here with more curses.

Although, a part of me wishes there were more than 15 floors simply because I can never fulfill that girl's requirement of "go down 2 floors" and that means less time to do anything. 20 floors and I feel like I can finally grab the sadism + masochism curse that is hidden.

WellIGuess

Jan 23, 2019
Gosh if only there were some debug build that you could give yourself whatever curses you want (that costs $10 so I don't blame people not going for it).
In any case, I can't really condone save editing (and especially sharing/downloading edited saves which seems like a security issue just waiting to happen). I don't even know how you would do it given godot's encryption of the .res files it creates. As for modding, at present there isn't any PUBLICLY EXPOSED mechanism for mods to force a character into getting a specific curse. Technically if you knew where to put the right data, you could do it, as the reason why the first shrine on floor 5 is currently always Easy is because I forgot to remove that data when testing the function for forcing a floor's shrine to have a set curse. I just haven't updated the modding docs since getting that set up (among many other things). I would assume that once that's made known SOMEONE will be able to decipher enough of my docs to set up a mod that will give you all the curses needed to see the scenes, even if I don't really like the idea much.

Not really anything to do with python? I mean I guess gdscript is python-like but that would only matter if you decompiled the exe to look at the game code itself. The data for modding is done entirely in json data structures.

Interestingly I feel like I only get this kind of comment on f95? Like I guess the people here have more of a completionist "I want to find/see everything in the game and move on to the next one" mindset and having the lists of skills/curses/etc. continue to expand gets in the way of that, but honestly I... Don't really feel bad about it.
I mean, that's understandable (and it's not really a solution, more of a slapwork in any case), but that's more or less what I had to work with. No offense meant but I don't think I'm quite ready to support this project financially yet.
While the data for modding may be available in .json's, I'm pretty sure you'd still need a basic understanding of Python ( or at least, something like Java or C++ or similarly structured language) to make anything out of it.

NRFB

Hi (。・ω・)ノ゙
Game Developer
Feb 14, 2020
While the data for modding may be available in .json's, I'm pretty sure you'd still need a basic understanding of Python ( or at least, something like Java or C++ or similarly structured language) to make anything out of it.
Well certainly anyone wanting to mod any game should expect that understanding programming fundamentals will only help. It's a specific sort of problem solving mindset. In a more specific sense, with this you'd probably only need to know what different variable types are and what they're for (bool, int, float, string, array, dictionary). Knowing what a Stack is in programming/data structure terms would also probably help since that's essentially what is created and resolved whenever anything happens on the map/in camp. Beyond that, I don't think there's much else other than learning how to format things and yelling at me for dumb aspects of the formatting rules that only really make sense to me because I've been using them for a year+

thispls13

Jan 23, 2021
I really like this game but even the "large" text size is still too small is there a mod or anything that fixes it? I can't find anything to help with that and my blind ass is struggling without sticking my face in the screen

Rosen King

Engaged Member
May 29, 2019
I really like this game but even the "large" text size is still too small is there a mod or anything that fixes it? I can't find anything to help with that and my blind ass is struggling without sticking my face in the screen
Try turning down the resolution if you're in fullscreen mode. It basically acts as UI scaling.

In unrelated news, Tweet time!

Boss/elite/unique monsters, let's goooo! I wonder if this is exclusively for Coraline's marks, or if it will be shared by more static "bosses" like the Reference Poltergeist? For that matter, I wonder if the Reference Poltergeist will be a possible target. I probably shouldn't expect *too many* new enemies if this was another "mechanics" update, especially since only the Drider has been shown so far and the update will probably be out within the next week...

Bob and George

F6-wTkAXsAA-iMK.png
A Bob and George reference. What.

I'm gonna assume this is connected to Raine's lake(?) scene. She seems like the kind of person who would have a conversation that takes this turn. Maybe Elli would, if by "something stupid" they mean "make poor decisions about our workplace relationship". She did tell you not to fall in love with her.

dunno, just gonna put some boobs on the timeline

F7I_JB4WAAAk8tK.png
I like how casual she seems about it. Like, she's a rape spider, but this image just seems to say, "Hey, check it out. Boobs."

Rosen King

Engaged Member
May 29, 2019
Update time!

Bug: The sound doesn't work. At all.

When using Experiment on an empty room, not only does it refund the cost of the scry, it just doesn't scry. This also prevents it from lighting up a dark room.

Unlock hint for Raine's "How to relax" is blank, which is problematic since it's the prerequisite for the only new camp scene. (Of course, I'm putting off the new scene until the sound is fixed, but I was planning to get the prereq out of the way.)

The new indicators react weirdly to characters with the Lost status effect, including letting me click on them in a dark room (where they're not visible) and open their command menu.

I'm pretty sure I chose to retain the Corrupt action in NG+, but can't use it.

Last edited:

NRFB

Hi (。・ω・)ノ゙
Game Developer
Feb 14, 2020
Bug: The sound doesn't work. At all.
I mean I definitely would have noticed this if it was the case on my end, so I'm not sure how you got yourself in that position because... Yes it does?

When using Experiment on an empty room, not only does it refund the cost of the scry, it just doesn't scry. This also prevents it from lighting up a dark room.
It cancels the scry. That's how it's supposed to work.

Unlock hint for Raine's "How to relax" is blank, which is problematic since it's the prerequisite for the only new camp scene. (Of course, I'm putting off the new scene until the sound is fixed, but I was planning to get the prereq out of the way.)
Dunno how that ended up getting deleted, but it is missing from the data, yeah. It's "Spend time with Raine after floor 3 while she is relaxing alone"

The new indicators react weirdly to characters with the Lost status effect, including letting me click on them in a dark room (where they're not visible) and open their command menu.
This status has been causing tons of problems. I need to rethink how I've implemented it.

I'm pretty sure I chose to retain the Corrupt action in NG+, but can't use it.
Have to look into this.

Rosen King

Engaged Member
May 29, 2019
I mean I definitely would have noticed this if it was the case on my end, so I'm not sure how you got yourself in that position because... Yes it does?
Huh... Looks like it is on my end. But I don't think it's unrelated to the game, because I literally just closed out of a game where the sound was working just fine to open this one, and now the sound's not working for anything. The volume controller indicates that there's no sound trying to come through, either... Let's see what the task manager has to say... Huh. How normal is it for the game's memory usage to tick up by about 1MB every two seconds? I'm gonna try restarting my computer...

Edit: Well, restarting my computer just broke a bunch of other random things, so uh... I guess whatever's happening is probably on my side. If I suddenly disappear, that's why.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: NRFB
4.50 star(s) 25 Votes